#1 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:16 PM

OPTIMO_ATX

SNEAK PEAK

In Jcat we work to develop and bring to you new exciting products. Here is a short sneak peak of what we work on right now the Jcat Optimo ATX linear power supply. We are in advanced stage of R&D and hope to launch production by the end of the year.

KEY DESIGN FEATURES:

TRULY LINEAR ATX POWER SUPPLY

OptimoATX will be truly linear ATX power supply capable of 23A on all main lines (12, 5 and 3.3V) fully compatible with ATX2.0 specification. It is designed to be able to power computer platforms with 95W TDP processors. Unlike other similar products on market it will use only low noise linear regulators for all voltages including control circuits. Cutting edge linear regulators for noise performance <25uV RMS will be used. For best stability regulator circuit will have analog cable voltage drop compensation.

SUPERB TRANSFORMERS

Three bespoke massive low induction transformers with magnetic and electrical shielding sealed in stainless steel cup with epoxy resin that guarantees noiseless operation will be used. Transformers are designed to deliver all it’s power in linear part of core magnetic characteristic, with minimal stray field and impedance for best performance. One 400VA for 12V line we found to be most important for sound quality, second for 5V and 3.3V lines and third for all other less important voltages. 

ACTIVE RECTIFIER

For OptimoATX massive current we designed unique active rectifier. It’s using MOS FET transistors instead of diodes that are switched at zero points of AC waveform by special circuit. This ensures best noise performance, low impedance and very low heat dispatch. 

MICROPROCESOR CONTROL

OptimoATX will use industry standard low noise DSP for power management, soft start and ATX control functions. This will ensure best compatibility with ATX standard of complex linear design and trouble free user experience. Control circuit will be separated from rest of sensitive circuitry and will have own galvanically isolated linear power supply.

CONVENIENT CONNECTIONS

Optimo ATX will feature set of ATX connectors (including CPU, PCIE and drives connectors) as well as two AUX connectors for 5V and 12V aux power (active after power up cycle of computer).

CHASSIS

OptimoATX chassis will be bended from single thick sheet of laser cut stainless steel for high structural rigidity and low mechanical resonance. Stainless steel is not only much stronger than aluminium typically use in such enclosures, but also is a non magnetic material. This is very important for best performance as magnetic materials can introduce additional noise. For this reason also all bolts, nuts and other small mechanical parts in our power supply will ne made of non magnetic stainless steel.

AUDIO GRADE COMPONENTS

High grade audio components will be used. OptimoATX will be made in EU to very high standard for best audible results.

DISCLAIMER

All above information and specifications are preliminary/prototype and final product may vary.

• Adrian, Mellowman, ellisdj and 6 others like this

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#2 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:18 PM

Attached File  Picture1.jpg   6.22KB   19 downloads

Attached File  Picture2.jpg   4.64KB   11 downloads

Attached File  Picture3.jpg   4.11KB   11 downloads

Attached File  Picture4.jpg   7.31KB   11 downloads

• Adrian and ellisdj like this

#3 radziobrjp

radziobrjp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:24 PM

Hi Marcin, 

It looks grea! I can't wait for the OPTIMO ATX to go on sale. How can you say about price ?

#4 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:51 PM

Hi Marcin, 

It looks grea! I can't wait for the OPTIMO ATX to go on sale. How can you say about price ?

Thank you

Price is not set yet. 

I will keep this topic updated. 

Best regards,

Marcin

#5 Ben Webster

Ben Webster

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M., Germany

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:39 PM

Hi Marcin,

great news - especially for Optimo 3 Duo customer like me, who know how outstanding this LPS works.

Can I use the 5V AUX power to power the JCat NetCard  and the SSD or do I still need the Optimo 3 Duo because AUX Power is only available after power up cycle of computer. Or is the Optimo 3 Duo useless in a single PC solution when I own a Optimo ATX?

KR Ben

System doesn’t matter - if you have mine.

#6 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:26 PM

Hi Marcin,

great news - especially for Optimo 3 Duo customer like me, who know how outstanding this LPS works.

Can I use the 5V AUX power to power the JCat NetCard  and the SSD or do I still need the Optimo 3 Duo because AUX Power is only available after power up cycle of computer. Or is the Optimo 3 Duo useless in a single PC solution when I own a Optimo ATX?

KR Ben

Optimo 3 Duo won't be useless - it's output is of lower noise and dedicated for the JCAT cards / SSD whereas Optimo's AUX power is shared with ATX lines. 

Regards, 

Marcin

• Ben Webster likes this

#7 Ben Webster

Ben Webster

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:26 PM

Thanks Marcin.

I thought, the 5V AUX is independent from the ATX lines? Or can‘t we use it to power the JCat cards externally?

Sorry for asking such silly questions but I can‘t wait hearing this new gem.

#8 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:00 PM

Thanks Marcin.

I thought, the 5V AUX is independent from the ATX lines? Or can‘t we use it to power the JCat cards externally?

Sorry for asking such silly questions but I can‘t wait hearing this new gem.

It is shared with ATX lines. But you can power the cards with it. 

The quality is exceptional, but slightly below optimo for that purpose. What is possible for 3A, is not for 23A in terms of noise level. 

Low-current devices will benefit from Optimo 3 Duo. 

That said, I think the OPTIMO ATX will be an attractive all-in-one package.. 

Best regards,

Marcin 

• Adrian and Ben Webster like this

#9 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:03 PM

The AUX connectors are planned for external devices such as external drives, CD rippers, network switches etc. 

It doesn't make sense to use AUX for powering computer components, because for that you can use ATX outputs - it's the same quality in this case :) 

Regards, 

Marcin

• Ben Webster likes this

#10 Ben Webster

Ben Webster

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:56 PM

Many thanks for clarification.

Now even I understand it.
  • Marcin_gps likes this

#11 Patatorz

Patatorz

Beginner

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:14 AM

Hello, any news on the process to release this ATX PSU ? With all the projects running (new netcard femto, initio 3,..) try to understand if there is some priorities ?

Thanks

#12 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:37 AM

January 2021 at earliest. 

Initio and NET Card XE will be announced later this month

Best regards,

Marcin Ostapowicz
JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Adrian and Thuan like this

#13 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:45 PM

OPTIMO ATX – world’s first truly linear ATX PSU for audiophiles. We are almost there.

The heart of JCAT OPTIMO ATX PSU’s is a separate  Linear Regulator Board for each power line; 12V, 5V and 3.3V, providing 23A of continuous current. Its main components are: rectifier, smoothing capacitors bank and linear regulators.

KEY DESIGN FEATURES: ACTIVE RECTIFIER

For the OPTIMO ATX whopping current we designed unique active rectifier. It is using MOS FET transistors instead of diodes that are switched at zero points of AC waveform by special circuit. The MOS FET in this application has forward resistance below 1 mOhm (0.001 Ohm) – this outperforms diode resulting in much better dynamic response. JCAT designed analog control circuit with so called “floating ground” which means that there is no ground connection for rectifier at any point that otherwise might be path for introducing noise into DC circuit. This further ensures best noise performance as with GHz speed of MOS FETs there is practically no switching noise.

SUPERB PERFORMANCE

Eleven low impedance capacitors of total 110mF (110.000 uF) will ensure outstanding dynamic performance of OPTIMO ATX. On the graph below, the green line shows output voltage. You can observe superb response for step change of load (turquoise line).

pic_01_smoothing_capacitors_16.97v_10mf_

CAPACITORS BANK

We chose high quality 105 Celcius degrees capacitors for trouble free operation in years to come, and designed in significant margin so even with some capacitance lost over time, there will be no effect on the OPTIMO ATX’s performance. Built to last, as we like things in JCAT.

optimoatxboard6.jpeg?resize=472%2C1024&s LINEAR REGULATORS

The OPTIMO ATX is world’s first truly linear ATX power supply with no switching power circuits at any point. For cutting edge performance, instead of discrete elements, we used 11 state of an art LT3086 integrated linear regulators working in parallel. In result, the RMS noise of the OPTIMO ATX is impressive <15uV. We carefully optimised the PCB layout for shortest signal path, impedance and heat dispatch.

img_20201124_134530.jpeg?resize=1024%2C4 SUPERB BUILD QUALITY

High quality components, from resistors to connectors. Significant design margins. Gold plated 70 um copper PCB. Heat transfer elements made of pure copper. EU placed supply chain. Everything to ensure superb quality. The OPTIMO ATX PSU complies with these safety regulations: directive 2014/35/UE EMC, 2014/30/UE RoHS 2, 2011/65/UE, EN 62368-1, EN 50419 and EN-61558-1.

img_20201124_125102.jpeg?resize=1024%2C3

DISCLAIMER

All above information and specifications are preliminary/prototype and final product may vary.

• Adrian, ellisdj and Jogar like this

#14 Chanh

Chanh

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:21 PM

Definitely wanted one, however, I am now unsure if I can afford it? 😅
Hopefully I could..!🤞
  • Patatorz likes this

#15 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:35 AM

Here is a picture of the OPTIMO ATX's Linear Regulator Board side-by-side with the OPTIMO 3 DUO's linear regulator board. As you can see, it's quite a beast :)

129620583_290812682360131_94706470818011

• Adrian, Chanh and Patatorz like this

#16 yhajtko

yhajtko

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 11:49 PM

Marcin,

This looks very interesting, making me want to get back into the audio game lol but I know it will be quite expensive :((((

• Marcin_gps likes this

#17 shyamwanne

shyamwanne

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 February 2021 - 04:42 AM

After buying the Optimo 3 Duo, and enjoying the magic it brought to my system, even replacing a highly regarded LPS, I had the thought "man, I wish Jcat would make a high amperage linear power supply too, to run my server!" 

And here it is!    I am very excited to this coming down the road!

• Marcin_gps likes this

#18 Chanh

Chanh

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:47 AM

Any update on this, especially the availability timeline?  

#19 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:15 AM

Any update on this, especially the availability timeline?  

we will announce it in March

#20 Venue

Venue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:09 PM

I don't understand the choice of case dimensions for these sorts of products, they need to be shaped more like a rectangle than a square box, to fit into HTPC's, inside HTPC's, i.e. it cannot be as wide.
We don't want boxes on boxes, to be put on boxes, lol, really, I'm afraid this product will be no game changer than what's currently available in terms of ease of use, and dimensionality to fit inside HTPC's.

If you make an ATX power supply, which ultimately belongs to a computer, why would you make it have to be installed OUTSIDE of the computer, have cables routed between the two units?

I don't see the salespoint of that, instead make a case which fits INSIDE HTPC's, look at Streacom and HDPlex for some case designs, and make your product fit into those.

Should easily be able to fit this power supply, with the correction dimensions, that is, within a Streacom FC10 for example, F5 is impossible, but FC10 more than certainly.

A bit sad about this, anyway, I have to ask, what will be the final dimensions of this product, WxHxD?
Inches, mm, cm, feet, whatever you prefer, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users