331 replies to this topic

#301 JeroenD

JeroenD

Beginner

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands, Eindhoven

Posted 01 January 2024 - 08:59 PM

I am also using the same card. Tha card is swiched off , but still charging the supercaps. On every 7.5 minutes I charge one pair and use the second pair of supercaps to supply USB card ( I am using an bistable relay and a simple programable relay ) :)

I think the supercapacitors are also ideal charging the OCXO clock upgrade.
I did read the clock only uses 1,5w after warm-up.

I expect the UCpure, balancing board, supercapacitors to be delivered this week.
I will report my expenses after testing.
I will also test powering the XE net card with the supercapacitors.
My system is very revealing regarding changes so I hope to have similar positive experiences like you did describe above.
If that the case I probably have to order more supercapacitors and create a similar solution you made to switch between 2 sets of supercapacitors to have constant clean power for both the XE cards.
Maybe later also powering the clock upgrade with the same set of supercapacitors.
Will be an interesting project.

My system:

• A fully acoustic optimized listening room with 24 big diffusers (180 cm tall), damping for proper decay times (very important part of my system).
  • Holo audio May KTE
  • Audio Research LS26 (modified with V-caps and other improvements)
  • Krell KSA-300S (upgraded with better components)
  • Active low pass crossover from Magnepan
  • Magnepan MG 20.1 modified (wiring, filters)
  • 2x Velodyne DD12 used for 100Hz and below. The bass panels of the MG20.1 I don’t use because the have an audible negative effect on the mid panel and ribbon tweeter.
  • Audio Research VS115 which in the future want to use to drive the ribbon tweeters. MG20.1 mid panel starts at 100Hz and needs a lot of power. The Krell has more control of the mid panel and sounds better. The VS115 sounds very sweet in the high frequencies.

#302 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 07:31 AM

Hi, did you receive any answer on your question?

I have also plans to power the XE USB and XE NET with 2 supercapacitors and test what this will do regarding sound quality.
Also want to calculate how much time a card can run on a fully charged supercapacitors  before charging will kick-in.

I am planning to use the IAN CANADA UCPURE MKIII to chanrge and control the supercapacitors.

The USB Card XE requires 1.5A min. Sound quality scales with the quality of the PSU. 

Best regards,

Marcin

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#303 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 07:34 AM

Now I need to know the OCXO upgrade board dimensions, I need to check if I can put-it inside the NUC or not ...

TY in advance for the info

Dimensions of the Master OCXO Clock board 86 x 49 x 23 mm

#304 lorde73

lorde73

Beginner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 09:52 PM

So you probably are using the external trigger on the UCpure board to activate charging or did you use a different solution?

Did you test, using 1 set of supercapacitors, what the impact on sound quality is when the UCpure switches to charging?

Are you using a NUC as computer to stream to your DAC?
So the XE is inside this NUC?

#305 lorde73

lorde73

Beginner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 09:53 PM

So you probably are using the external trigger on the UCpure board to activate charging or did you use a different solution?

Did you test, using 1 set of supercapacitors, what the impact on sound quality is when the UCpure switches to charging?

Are you using a NUC as computer to stream to your DAC?
So the XE is inside this NUC?

No external trigger, I am NOT using the output of the IAN board, just the charging output, the one you connect to the supercaps. The board is even swithed off, since the output is not used ...

The charging output is routed to supercaps via the bistable relay. The bistable relay (DOLD) has 4 contacts, on position 1 charges supercaps1 and load supercaps2 and  on position 2 viceversa ... 

Yes, I tested with 1 pair of supercaps as well, no significant impact when charging  i would say... However the solution with 2 pairs brings peace of mind ...

WHAT IS IMPORTANT ---- THE DC CABLE. I had ramm audio ( 1m xlr ) it was good. Now I have 1m xlr neotech, it is better  ... No matter what cable, shield needs to be grounded

Yes, using NUC, XE inside ...

#306 lorde73

lorde73

Beginner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 10:06 PM

The Supercaps / battery solution is not new, it  is cheap and works very well , but using it requires some precautions , since huge energy it is stored inside the supercaps , so be carefull ...

Also, Supercaps are NOT filtering caps, they are not fast enough to filter small spikes may occur, that s why I thinkit is a good ideea to further

filter the output voltage  :) Filtering caps behave as a buffer for the time you switch from Supercaps1 to 2  ;)

#307 JeroenD

JeroenD

Beginner

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands, Eindhoven

Posted 09 January 2024 - 10:46 PM

Hi Lorde73,

I did build my first super capacitor LPSU with great result.

On the XE net card the difference compared to using the HDPLEX LPSU I am using is small.

Using the super capacitor LPSU in combination with the XE USB is a big step up.

Next week I am going to test my super capacitor LPSU at a fried his system who also uses a XE USB and net card.

If the improvement is also very clear to hear at his system I am going to build the next step kind of similar like you did.

But instead of using a bistable relay and a filter cap I want to build something with relays which I can control with an Arduino.

So as soon 1 set of super capacitors needs to be charged I want to connect the output of the fully charged set of super capacitors to each other so the common output is a nice ± 5,3v.

After that I can disconnect the capacitor set that needs to be charged.

After that I can connect the charging current to capacitors that need to be charged.

This way I can toggle between both sets of super capacitors and always have "pure" power at the XE USB card.

I think I do this time based by programming the Arduino.
I am using the 2,85v Eaton super capacitors who have 3400F capacity.

So 1700F in series.

This is enough to provide pure power for about 18 minutes.

Charging takes about 6 minutes.

So easy to control by for example charge a set of capacitors each 15 minutes and no filtering caps required.

With the Arduino I also want to build a pre-charge indication or a "non-pure" state when detected that both sets of super capacitors need to be charged.

What do you think about that?

Regards,

Jeroen

My system:

• A fully acoustic optimized listening room with 24 big diffusers (180 cm tall), damping for proper decay times (very important part of my system).
  • Holo audio May KTE
  • Audio Research LS26 (modified with V-caps and other improvements)
  • Krell KSA-300S (upgraded with better components)
  • Active low pass crossover from Magnepan
  • Magnepan MG 20.1 modified (wiring, filters)
  • 2x Velodyne DD12 used for 100Hz and below. The bass panels of the MG20.1 I don’t use because the have an audible negative effect on the mid panel and ribbon tweeter.
  • Audio Research VS115 which in the future want to use to drive the ribbon tweeters. MG20.1 mid panel starts at 100Hz and needs a lot of power. The Krell has more control of the mid panel and sounds better. The VS115 sounds very sweet in the high frequencies.

#308 OctavianH

OctavianH

Beginner

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrasov / RO

Posted 12 January 2024 - 03:52 PM

You can run the Asmedia tool. It will detect the currently loaded version. 

https://www.dropbox....vldkq9u71n&dl=0

Password is: asmedia

Best regards,

Marcin

It seems my firmware was from 2019 and I upgraded it. Worked flawlessly. Thank you, now I am safe to upgrade my PC with newer motherboards.

#309 lorde73

lorde73

Beginner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2024 - 02:12 PM

What do you think about that?

Hi Jeroen !

No matter how you controll the relays, the ideea is, indeed, to be always disconnected from the charging supply. And the result will be great, i am sure of that.

Arduino probably needs more time to set-it up, I was using an easyer way , 4 register timer relay that you can buy with 30 EUR from market.

Now, if you have 2 sets of supercaps connected in paralell, they will be equaly discharged, I don t see how you can decide which of them needs to be charged again....

That is my dilema

If you switch supercaps, then is mandatory to have 3 sets, not enough to have 2 .

Be carefull, 2 sets of supercaps in paralell may result in huge current loads from one to the other after the switching , because they have different voltages. And the current circulation can have a negativ impact on the sound and on the switching relays contacts also ...

In my solution I had used 2set of supercaps  + 1 set of regular, filtering capacitors

The regular, filtering  set of caps has double role, to suply the USB card during the switching ( switch through zero ) and to filter the voltage.

They charge fast and don t require huge current to charge

#310 tottyi

tottyi

Beginner

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 10:06 AM

Hello, I would like to ask if I need an external source or do I just have an analog source installed in my computer? And will the Jcat usb XE card work in my configuration? I still want to ask, I have to pay for the products plus duty when I want them to Europe?

Mainboard: ROG STRIX B760-I GAMING WIFI

Procesor: Intel i9 13900T

Ram: Kingston FURY Beast EXPO/ DDR5/ 16GB/ 6000MHz/ CL36/ 2x8GB/ RGB/ Black

Streacom FC10

Analog PSU: https://www.mzxaudio.eu/product/lpc250

Attached Files

#311 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 02:45 PM

Hello, I would like to ask if I need an external source or do I just have an analog source installed in my computer? And will the Jcat usb XE card work in my configuration? I still want to ask, I have to pay for the products plus duty when I want them to Europe?

Mainboard: ROG STRIX B760-I GAMING WIFI

Procesor: Intel i9 13900T

Ram: Kingston FURY Beast EXPO/ DDR5/ 16GB/ 6000MHz/ CL36/ 2x8GB/ RGB/ Black

Streacom FC10

Analog PSU: https://www.mzxaudio.eu/product/lpc250

Hello, 

It will work if you have one free PCI Express port. 

There are no extra fees involved. The product is shipped from Poland (EU) and the price includes UPS Express shipping.

BR,

Marcin

#312 tottyi

tottyi

Beginner

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 07:55 AM

Hi, has anyone tested the + Riser cable to how much it interferes with the sound of the JCAT USB XE card? Or is it better to use without? Because if so, I will remove the rear side of the FC10. :)

#313 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 01:26 PM

It is better without, If you can avoid it.

#314 lorde73

lorde73

Beginner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 07:04 AM

I do not have place where to put the external clock board inside the NUC

How long is the clock cable ?

I am considering to install the board on the top of the NUC.

For that I need to take the clock cable out of the NUC ( trough a hole i have to make on the USB XE bracket ) and to bring -it to the top plate ...

#315 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 11:01 AM

I do not have place where to put the external clock board inside the NUC

How long is the clock cable ?

I am considering to install the board on the top of the NUC.

For that I need to take the clock cable out of the NUC ( trough a hole i have to make on the USB XE bracket ) and to bring -it to the top plate ...

The RF cable is 20cm long. You can place it outside and fix it with the included self adhesive tape. 

#316 koblongata

koblongata

Beginner

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 07:46 PM

So I am still waiting for single card Master OCXO USB card really, I think it's about time?

The Emerald version is still amazing, I would rather pass it to one of my family members and get myself a single card Master OCXO card instead. Please give me some good news!

• koblongata and baramzisyan like this

#317 baramzisyan

baramzisyan

Beginner

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 08:41 AM

Marcin, hello!  What jcat PSU i can use with usb Wx+ocxo? 

#318 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:30 AM

So I am still waiting for single card Master OCXO USB card really, I think it's about time?

The Emerald version is still amazing, I would rather pass it to one of my family members and get myself a single card Master OCXO card instead. Please give me some good news!

You mean a next version that is prepared to accept the Master OCXO clock without upgrade service? 

#319 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:34 AM

Marcin, hello!  What jcat PSU i can use with usb Wx+ocxo? 

You may use INITIO with 2 DC cables

You may use OPTIMO 3 DUO

You may use ULTIMO wiht a Y-shaped DC cable

And you may use 2x OPTIMO nano in combination with other PSUs. 

Best regards,

Marcin

#320 abase21

abase21

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 04:41 PM

Hi
..has someone compared this card to the Holo Audio Red as USB Device?
I have the Holo Audio Red and thinking about to go direct from the server to the DAC (Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users