Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts
  • LocationSillycon Valley

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:21 AM

Hi,

I've just trial subscribed to Tidal, enabled Tidal on BubbleUPnP tablet and Local & Cloud, selected a couple tracks, hit Play but got no sound. What am I missing?

Please advise.

P.S. Even Qobuz subscription doesn't play. Obviously, there's something missing or misconfigured with my BubbleUPnP or network setup.
  • AmbernoG likes this
WS2019 core, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY/JCAT XE/iOS, ES/TC, Xeon CPU, Industrial ECC RAM, Gustard X26, Singxer SU6, Linkwitz Pluto 2.1+

#2 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:58 AM

Turned on Proxy and solved. Btw, the playback stop toward the end of the track I used to experience is now a thing of the past, even with Hibernate On. Super cool!
  • Marcin_gps likes this
WS2019 core, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY/JCAT XE/iOS, ES/TC, Xeon CPU, Industrial ECC RAM, Gustard X26, Singxer SU6, Linkwitz Pluto 2.1+

#3 minra

minra

Beginner

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVilnius

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:55 AM

Turned on Proxy and solved. Btw, the playback stop toward the end of the track I used to experience is now a thing of the past, even with Hibernate On. Super cool!

it's a surprise to me that with hibernate turned on you can listen tracks to the end. As far as I have seen everyone is facing it, but now who knows... 

I tried with Proxy on, battery saving on/off, use eventing on/off.. almost every setting in bubbleupnp, ant it didn't helped for me. Maybe there is another key setting ?

#4 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:06 PM

Let me try more files today and report. Which file format you’re having trouble with?

#5 minra

minra

Beginner

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVilnius

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:23 PM

tidal hifi, FLAC 16/44khz.  On track click setting -> show metadata, you can see Stream #1 info.

#6 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:41 PM

I think that Thuan is using dual PC mode. The hibernate issue with Tidal is related to single PC mode exclusively in combination with Bubble UPnP. 

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#7 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

Hm, last time Qobuz (not Tidal yet) disappointed me at the song end, I'd been using dualPC for a while (and until today). Of course, I always tinker with the setup without any intention to improve streaming, only to sweeten the SQ. If it's not for yesterday I decided to try Tidal (and Qobuz again), I wouldn't know I've hit a button that helps the streaming audio.

Here's what I'm trying this early morning without a hitch. Jplay Femto settings are at max as usual: KS, UltraStream, 1000Hz, Hibernate On. Test playlist consists of Norah Jones' I Don't Know Why (Qobuz 192/24), a few Tidal's featured tracks (44/16), then back to Qobuz (Miles Davis' So What in 96/24). The playlist, switching back between Tidal's and Qobuz's different file formats, plays as smooth as I've ever dreamed of.

Meanwhile, the SQ of Tidal and Qbus while not being the same as local files is quite pleasant and sweet now, to the extent that I don't feel shortchanged at all. Nitpicking, the highs are no longer harsh but can be reticent sometimes, bass might not be as impactful, midrange could be a bit more detailed and palpable. Given those hair splitting differences and almost endless music available, I'll can easily live with either service. I'll need to go back, review and analyze what has been done to the setup, and hopefully find out which did what.

#8 minra

minra

Beginner

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVilnius

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, it is more clear now,  happy for DualPC users, clear benefit :)

But what would be a breakthrough if it worked on SinglePC aswell.

#9 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:39 PM

Hm, last time Qobuz (not Tidal yet) disappointed me at the song end, I'd been using dualPC for a while (and until today). Of course, I always tinker with the setup without any intention to improve streaming, only to sweeten the SQ. If it's not for yesterday I decided to try Tidal (and Qobuz again), I wouldn't know I've hit a button that helps the streaming audio.

Here's what I'm trying this early morning without a hiss. Jplay Femto settings are at max as usual: KS, UltraStream, 1000Hz, Hibernate On. Test playlist consists of Norah Jones' I Don't Know Why (Qobuz 192/24), a few Tidal's featured tracks (44/16), then back to Qobuz (Miles Davis' So What in 96/24). The playlist, switching back between Tidal's and Qobuz's different file formats, plays as smooth as I've ever dreamed of.

Meanwhile, the SQ of Tidal and Qbus while not being the same as local files is quite pleasant and sweet now, to the extent that I don't feel shortchanged at all. Nitpicking, the highs are no longer harsh but can be reticent sometimes, bass might not be as impactful, midrange could be a bit more detailed and palpable. Given those hair splitting differences and almost endless music available, I'll can easily live with either service. I'll need to go back, review and analyze what has been done to the setup, and hopefully find out which did what.

In my system TIDAL outperforms local files now. Not by a small margin. Sth that not that far ago I thought would not happen. 

• Thuan and minra like this

#10 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:40 PM

In my system TIDAL outperforms local files now. Not by a small margin. Sth that not that far ago I thought would not happen. 

Thanks to this guy over here:

Attached File  IMG_0749.jpeg   863.77KB   9 downloads

• Adrian, Thuan, recepky and 1 other like this

#11 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:32 PM

JCAT XE?

#12 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:36 PM

JCAT XE?

Yep, as you can see in the picture :)

JCAT NET XE

• Thuan and Patatorz like this

#13 Patatorz

Patatorz

Beginner

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:10 PM

Yep, as you can see in the picture :)

JCAT NET XE

Great !!! Probably a dedicated thread in the coming days ?

#14 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:59 AM

Great !!! Probably a dedicated thread in the coming days ?

There will be a dedicated thread once we're closer to the official launch :) 

• Patatorz likes this

#15 Patatorz

Patatorz

Beginner

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:52 AM

đź‘Ť
  • Marcin_gps likes this

#16 BernieFFM

BernieFFM

Beginner

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:21 AM

When avaiable, could I achieve this on a Single Audio PC or do I need a Dual-PC setup?

I alway kept on with ripping local files from CDs or improving downloaded Files with Rewrite-Data to be stored locally

to be close to the ripped ones (not all content is avaiable in best quality on CDs...). But that takes some time...

The only experience i had with streaming services is the amazon music hd with their app. SQ with that app through

Asio Bridge with JPLAY 7.0 (Normal Service, not Femto) was way worse than local files, so i gave that one up after one day trying.

What other Hardware would i need to achieve it with Tidal (to be equal or better than local files)?

Would i need a High-End Router to achieve this (have a cable-modem --no router--direct connection to audio-pc with Supra Cat-7)?

regards

Bernd

#17 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:42 PM

When avaiable, could I achieve this on a Single Audio PC or do I need a Dual-PC setup?

I alway kept on with ripping local files from CDs or improving downloaded Files with Rewrite-Data to be stored locally

to be close to the ripped ones (not all content is avaiable in best quality on CDs...). But that takes some time...

The only experience i had with streaming services is the amazon music hd with their app. SQ with that app through

Asio Bridge with JPLAY 7.0 (Normal Service, not Femto) was way worse than local files, so i gave that one up after one day trying.

What other Hardware would i need to achieve it with Tidal (to be equal or better than local files)?

Would i need a High-End Router to achieve this (have a cable-modem --no router--direct connection to audio-pc with Supra Cat-7)?

regards

Bernd

Hi Bernd, 

It should be available at the end of September if there are no delays. I am using a single PC and it is not likely I will be goind dual-PC mode again - this has to do with the developments which i can't discuss publicly yet. 

ASIO Bridge is another software layer in the signal path, so it definitely does not help SQ. That said, using Bubble UPnP and JPLAY FEMTO, SQ from Tidal is better than files I ripped using highly modified ripper. That is using my Audio PC which at the moment looks like this: 

supermicro  X11SCL-F motherboard
Intel Xeon E-2136  CPU
2x 4GB ECC RAM Apacer DDR4 ECC UDIMM (industrial extended temp. range RAM)
Apacer SLC SSD for OS (industrial extended temp. range)  64GB
APRO pSLC SSD for music (industrial extended temp. range)

the rest of the comonents from JCAT:
JCAT USB Card XE
JCAT NET Card XE (coming soon)
2x JCAT Reference SATA cables (for both SSDs)
1x JCAT Optimo 3 Duo PSU for the USB & NET cards and for SSDs (first output for the USB card XE, second outpu powers the NET Card XE & both SSDs)
HD-PLEX ATX LPS for the motherboard and CPU (will be replaced by the massive JCAT ATX LPS very soon :) )
JCAT High-End DC cable from the HD-PLEX to CPU socket (makes a huge difference, bigger than the PSU alone) 
JCAT USB+LAN Ground Conditioner (for the USB Card XE and NET Card XE)

The test was performed without the high-end M12 switch.
The complete network path looks like this: NET Card XE -> JCAT Reference LAN Cable GOLD (1m long - network cables act in similar fashion as power cords i.e. the last 1m from the device is crucial) -> JCAT NET Isolator -> 10m of generic patchcord -> JCAT NET Isolator -> UBNT AP AC PRO (wifi access point) -> 10m of generic patchcord -> UBNT PoE unit  -> JCAT Reference LAN Cable GOLD (1m) -> JCAT NET Isolator -> JCAT Reference LAN Cable GOLD (1m) -> UBNT EdgeRouterX -> JCAT Reference LAN Cable GOLD (1m) -> JCAT NET Isolator -> JCAT Reference LAN Cable GOLD (1m) -> fiber modem

The modem and router are currently powered by hd-plex 200w LPS. Optimo 3 Duo makes a big difference though for these devices. 

The rest of the system:
APL DSD-MR DAC (MKI)

SPEC RSA-F33EX Ultimate Ruby Mica amp + 2x RSP-AZ9EX

YG Acoustics Carmel2 speakers

Cables: Acrolink 7N-DA6100III Mexcel (RCA), Absolue Créations TIM Signature (SP)

Power: dedicated AC line using vovox textura power cord to Furutech NCF wallsocket -> S.I.N. Audio FFO power cord -> S.I.N. Audio PSD-6 power distributor -> Siltech Triple Crown power cord -> S.I.N. Audio PSD-6 FFO power distributor -> Siltech Ruby Double Crown power cords with Furutech NCF connectors

Accessories: foQ platforms & footers for every device, AR RR-77 Schumann Resonator

The system is very resolving. 

Regards, 
Marcin

• Adrian, recepky, Jogar and 2 others like this

#18 Iain

Iain

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:44 PM

Marvin

What is the reason for this? What is causing the improvement compared to local files?

#19 Iain

Iain

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:45 PM

Bloody auto correct. I did type Marcin!

#20 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:58 PM

Marvin

What is the reason for this? What is causing the improvement compared to local files?

See this post:             #10            

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users