Photo

Various versions of Windows Server 2019 - which sounds best?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#81 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:34 AM

A detail about fragmentation

since most people use SSD for OS, you do not need / cannot defragment the disk,
because it is constantly moving data through its technology

#82 moriez

moriez

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:14 AM

Hey guys,

I feel compelled to respond and ask questions ^^

Every time you install a fresh OS, it always sounds better than a OS that has been running for few months (or years).

The thing is, that the registry is getting bigger and more fragmented over time which makes the OS slower and slower the longer you use it. 

Assuming that most will have a dedicated single PC or dual PC with practically no need for more than the basic software does the registry get substantially bigger and more fragmented? I can understand that Windows updates impact those areas but without really using these computers other than for playback what is the cause of slowing down that in turn impacts sq?

But, besides that, I also believe that there is some "stabilization" over time, a kind of operating system burn-in. Every fresh installation needs a few days or weeks to deliver its true sound.

Felipe, how are you mate. Along the same lines as above, what in your opinion is this stabilization. How is the change over time explained?

A detail about fragmentation

since most people use SSD for OS, you do not need / cannot defragment the disk,
because it is constantly moving data through its technology

I came across some new SSD defragmentation software the other week. Posting in case you're interested:

https://www.oo-softw...oducts/oodefrag

#83 frizzup

frizzup

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

WS2016 sounds more present with richer tone and better textures than WS2019. WS2016 also gives me a better sense of depth and dimenison, better dynamics, and much better bass. Adding AO only changes the presentation of the music, so it is just different and not better. But AO also conjests the sound and dynamics, taking away the realism. Surprising, no??

AO was always a must have for me since it became available. This change came about with JPLAY Femto and the change to using a Schiit Eitr SPDIF converter. I've also changed to Duelund speaker cables and interconnects, giving amazing clarity, tone, and imaging. I've also just changed my RAM to Hynix, and added a Ghent DC power cable for my PC.

I'm planning to revisit AO and WS2019, but since the beta test started for AO3, I've reinstalled various OS's more than dozen times, and I'm tired of it all. Every time I go back to my current setup, I can easily find it the best sounding.

After 3 months with WS19 on my dual PC setup have gone back to WS16Core but with AO updated to V3. On my config really WS16Core is a step ahead of WS19.

Frizzup

INTEL Control PC & Audio PC in 2 x Streacom cases with external HDPLEX LPS's / Windows Server 2012R2 Core / Audiophile Optimizer 3.00 / JPLAY IOS (IPAD 12) and BubbleUPNP (Android) to JPlay Femto, JPLAY Femto Streamer / JPLAY USB Card to Audio-GD DI20 I2S Converter / I2S HDMI into Audio-GD Master 7 DAC,/ Balanced ACSS to Audio-GD Master 9 Preamplier & Headphone Amplifier / Balanced ACSS to Audio-GD Master 10 Ammplifier / Magnepan 3.7R Speakers / Sennhieser 800S Headphones / Jplay user since 2011.

#84 TJHUB

TJHUB

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:22 AM

After 3 months with WS19 on my dual PC setup have gone back to WS16Core but with AO updated to V3. On my config really WS16Core is a step ahead of WS19.

Frizzup

Can you describe in what ways?
JPLAY Femto Setup: Single PC (Intel S1200KPR/XEON based), Windows Server 2016 GUI, JPLAY Femto, UltraStream engine (DAC Link = 500Hz, KS, and Hibernate), Motherboard USB port to DAC. HD-Plex linear power supply powering PC. Music library stored locally on OS 2.5” HDD (2TB Western Digital Blue, 5,400RPM). UPnP control point: Bubble UPnP or fidata.

#85 taxman2

taxman2

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationSofia, Bulgaria

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:36 PM

Frizzup

I doubt it. I've been running WS 2016 for 3 years before upgrading to WS 2019. Now I've been on WS 2019 for one and a half years and SQ rocks.

You are simply degrading.

Furman Elite (power conditioner), JPlay Femto iOS, JPlay Femto, AO4, TC 3.1b: 2 x fanless mini PC (Intel I5-Skylake), Control PC - WS 2022 DataCenter core -16GB RAM, Audio PC - WS 2022 DataCenter core 8GB RAM, JCAT USB Femto Card, 2 x JCAT Femto Net Cards, 1 x 200VA Ultra Low Noise LPS, 4 x 100VA Ultra Low Noise LPS, JCAT USB Isolator, Singxer SU6, Gustard A26, Audia Flight Pre Mk III (dual mono class A preamplifier), Audia Flight FL50 Mk IV(dual mono class A amplifier), Focal Electra 1028BE,1008BE, Focal Electra sub;

#86 moriez

moriez

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:22 PM

TJHUB, on 26 Oct 2019 - 03:22 AM, said:snapback.png

Can you describe in what ways?

I also like to know. 

taxman2, on 28 Oct 2019 - 10:36 PM, said:snapback.png

I doubt it. I've been running WS 2016 for 3 years before upgrading to WS 2019. Now I've been on WS 2019 for one and a half years and SQ rocks.

You are simply degrading.

Maybe what you mean is: you cannot imagine it to be so. Variables? Preferences?

#87 frizzup

frizzup

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:32 PM

My roll back to W16 Core was driven by in inability to get my Gustartd U16 DDC driver installed in W19 Core, it would install in W19 GUI. Unlike some observations that W19GUI was as good or better that W16Core my experience was not as positive. So back to W16 Core until I can work out how to get W19 Core DDC driver install fixed. See my comments/endeavours under a separate posting http://jplay.eu/foru...r-su-1-in-core/

Frizzup

INTEL Control PC & Audio PC in 2 x Streacom cases with external HDPLEX LPS's / Windows Server 2012R2 Core / Audiophile Optimizer 3.00 / JPLAY IOS (IPAD 12) and BubbleUPNP (Android) to JPlay Femto, JPLAY Femto Streamer / JPLAY USB Card to Audio-GD DI20 I2S Converter / I2S HDMI into Audio-GD Master 7 DAC,/ Balanced ACSS to Audio-GD Master 9 Preamplier & Headphone Amplifier / Balanced ACSS to Audio-GD Master 10 Ammplifier / Magnepan 3.7R Speakers / Sennhieser 800S Headphones / Jplay user since 2011.

#88 Lukasluis

Lukasluis

Beginner

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:01 AM

WS2016 sounds more present with richer tone and better textures than WS2019. WS2016 also gives me a better sense of depth and dimenison, better dynamics, and much better bass. Adding AO only changes the presentation of the music, so it is just different and not better. But AO also conjests the sound and dynamics, taking away the realism. Surprising, no??
AO was always a must have for me since it became available. This change came about with JPLAY Femto and the change to using a Schiit Eitr SPDIF converter. I've also changed to Duelund speaker cables and interconnects, giving amazing clarity, tone, and imaging. I've also just changed my RAM to Hynix, and added a Ghent DC power cable for my PC.
I'm planning to revisit AO and WS2019, but since the beta test started for AO3, I've reinstalled various OS's more than dozen times, and I'm tired of it all. Every time I go back to my current setup, I can easily find it the best sounding.

I'm planning to revisit Jplay again after more than 2 years on Linux variants. Is the WS2016 GUI and Jplay Femto the best combinatiomn so far? I too like the richer and more textural presentation of Windows over Linux. I used WS2012/AO/Fidelizer combo (dual PC) many moons ago. Is this combination still the best? Or Single PC has progressed. How about the choice of Windows OS version?

#89 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Moderators
  • 1,717 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:57 PM

I'm planning to revisit Jplay again after more than 2 years on Linux variants. Is the WS2016 GUI and Jplay Femto the best combinatiomn so far? I too like the richer and more textural presentation of Windows over Linux. I used WS2012/AO/Fidelizer combo (dual PC) many moons ago. Is this combination still the best? Or Single PC has progressed. How about the choice of Windows OS version?

Hi Lukasluis,

Normally, questions such as you've asked generate a variety of answers reflecting individual preferences and systems. There is no single best combination that suits everyone, there are simply too many system variations, including amps, DACs, speakers, etc. The sound quality achieved on a specific system will depend on the individual combination of software and hardware used (and let's not forget variations in rooms and individual hearing).

For example, TJHUB's post of May 2019 argues in favour of WS2016 on that specific system, while Audiophil has more recently favoured WS2019 core mode as marginally better than WS2019 GUI mode (suitably optimized in both cases), on the systems he has used, over other options that he has tested. The best advice is to choose a starting point and let your ears guide you to what sounds best for your individual circumstances.

Perhaps, if you still have WS2012 (R2 version needed these days), that in combination with AO 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 8.5 and JPLAY FEMTO in a dual PC setup might be a good way to begin given your earlier dual PC experience with WS2012, AO and Fidelizer. Then, if you wish to experiment further, you could try WS2016 and/or WS2019 and see if you like the sound. Both are available for 180-day trial evaluations.

Whichever path you choose, it is well worth while to carefully read the JPLAY FEMTO manual as well as the guides prepared by AudioPhil including the AO 3.0 manual (see here for links to the Best Practices and OS setup guides as well as Isos for WS2012R2, WS2016 and WS2019: https://audiophilest...ee-pdf-guides/).

Cheers,

Bernie

• Thuan and Rob like this

Control Point: Apple iPad (9th gen), 64Gb storage, 3Gb RAM, JPLAY for iOS 1.0.18; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, 128Gb storage, 4Gb RAM, Bubble UPnP 4.3.6; Dell Inspiron 15 5510 laptop (Windows 11 Professional (x64) Version 22H2 (build 22621.3155), Intel Core i7-11390H, 2.93 GHz, 512Gb KIOXIA M2 PCIe NVMe (RAID) SSD, 16Gb DDR4 3200 MHz RAM), Upplay 1.7.1.

Control and Audio-PCs: Asus Mini PC PN60, Intel Core i5 8250U 1.6 GHz, 250Gb Kingston A2000 M2 NVMe SSD and 8Gb DDR4 2400 MHz RAM.

OS: Windows Server 2019 (Standard Edition) in highly optimized Desktop mode, command prompt shell for initial setup after which Control and Audio-PCs run headless (monitor, keyboard and mouse disconnected).
Optimization: Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, MajiorityCamisole 178R4 and 179R4 via TrustedClean 3.1b-server on RAM Disk in Control and Audio PCs (MCLE Local folder) (RAM Disk procedure and TC settings used are detailed in this guide - 8 Nov 2023), Process Lasso Server Edition 14.0.2.12, additional Windows processes/services stopped via registry editor, task manager and a modified CAD DSK script. For the full optimization procedure see my Guide for Optimizing WS2019 in a Dual or Single PC JPLAY Femto-Based System (revised 5 July 2023).

Renderer: JPLAY FEMTO 7.0D UPnP (Alternative version), Server: JPLAY FEMTO 7.0D femtoServer, File Manager: Q-Dir 11.63.0.0, Library Manager: JRiver MC 32.0.6.
JPLAY Settings: Playing via: KS, Engine: ULTRAstream, Bitstream: Native, Bitperfect Volume: OFF, DAC Link: 1000, XtreamSize: 1000, Throttle: ON, Hibernate Mode: ON.

Equipment Configuration: Control Point Tablet/Laptop > WiFi > Control-PC > 1m SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC > 3m Chord C-USB Cable > Rotel 1590C > 2m Mogami NEGLEX RCA to XLR cable with Neutrik connectors) > March Audio P501 Monoblocks with Purifi 1ET7040SA modules > DIY speaker cables (Tycab PVC doubly insulated 11 AWG OFC wire, TechFlex braid, Neotech Banana/Spade connectors) > Bryston PX-1 external crossovers > DIY speaker cables (as before) > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers. AC power filtered/cleaned via Thor A12BF Smart Power Board. 

Music Storage: Main Library: 6Tb Seagate HDD/Hub+6Tb Seagate HDD (all connections via 0.5m Avencore Premium USB 3.0 cables); Backups (x2): as per Main Library.

#90 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:38 AM

I'd use Windows 2019 IoT LTSC now which is the smallest footprint Windows version available now.  

It is used in Taiko Audio SGM Extreme server. 

The OS can be tweaked further. 

• Adrian, Lukasluis, FelipeRolim and 1 other like this

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#91 Adrian

Adrian

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:27 PM

I'd use Windows 2019 IoT LTSC now which is the smallest footprint Windows version available now.  

Nice to know. Where can I download it? Thanks.

#92 Mellowman

Mellowman

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNantes - France

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:31 PM

https://www.microsof...s-10-enterprise

• ho5456 likes this

Hifi must serve the Music.

Not the opposite ;)

#93 Adrian

Adrian

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:47 PM

Thank you, but this link is for Windows 10 enterprise? I was expecting Windows Server 2019 IoT. So if your link is the one Marcin has indicated, I think he was refering to Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2019 or Windows 10 IoT LTSC 2019? So many Windows versions that it becomes confusing! 

#94 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:27 PM

"The OS can be tweaked further. "

Recommend this program to do that

https://www.ntlite.com/

• Marcin_gps, Adrian, Thuan and 1 other like this

#95 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • LocationSillycon Valley

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:37 PM

Good stuff, thank you Marcin and Nobudy.
WS2019 core, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY/JCAT XE/iOS, ES/TC, Xeon CPU, Industrial ECC RAM, Gustard X26, Singxer SU6, Linkwitz Pluto 2.1+

#96 Jogar

Jogar

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:23 PM

Appreciate the information too. Due to the smaller footprint of Win 10 LTSC 2019 and further possible trimming down with ntlite, is it still useful to use tools like audiophile optimizer and/or O&O Shutup10 to stop unwanted processes? Any special tweaking required for JPLAY Femto to work on Win 10 LTSC 2019? Looks very promising...

#97 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:38 PM

JPLAY works the same as with any other Windows 10. (except for W10 IoT Core - this one doesn't work  with normal desktop  applications)

• Jogar likes this

#98 Jogar

Jogar

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:28 PM

Thanks Marcin. This is great news. Win 10 LTSC 2019 just became a must to explore further!

Regards.

• Marcin_gps and Carlosoptico like this

#99 ho5456

ho5456

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:45 AM

Just to be clear folks, on the eval page it's ISO-LTSC  ->  17763.107.101029-1455.rs5_release_svc_refresh_CLIENT_LTSC_EVAL_x64FRE_en-gb.iso ?

Is it likely to sound better than server 2019 GUI (JPLAY & AO)? Otherwise not much point changing over really. 

#100 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

That's the one

• ho5456 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users