12 replies to this topic

#1 pavgeris

pavgeris

Beginner

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

Dear friends,

I have installed WS2016 GUI mode last year with success, along with AO. On two PCs without any problem. Flawless operation.

Now, this time I tried to install WS2016 core mode.

Never succeeded to go into services and activate the sound service, without which I cannot operate my Pink Faun card.

I have lost a whole day searching for a document about how to install WS2016 in core mode.

If anybody is willing to help me a little bit, I would be grateful.

I do not now any of the commands required for network and sound configuration, any file would definitely help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Peter Avgeris

• KhmerP likes this

#2 Adrian

Adrian

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

Hello,

Are you using Pink Faun I2S card? I had one sometime ago. Didn't install it on WS core, but I know it's plug and play on conventional Windows and it uses WASAPI to work. Latest version of AO carries a WASAPI injector on WS core (See page 20: https://www.highend-...etup-guide.pdf). You could try this. Better yet, I've asked Pink Faun and they provided me a little program to install Kernel Streaming for their I2S card. I've just sent a PM for you with the link to the program.

Regards,

Adrian

#3 pavgeris

pavgeris

Beginner

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:48 PM

Hello Adrian!

Thank you so much for your post.

The card comes with kernel streaming drivers for Windows 2016 and paired with the Connor Winfield clock that the manufacturer provides, is by far the very best thing I have ever listened to. For me, HiFi goes along with this device, so I cannot leave it under any circumstances.

The basic problem is that I cannot configure the network and to activate sound service under core mode. Under GUI everything works perfect. Core is a lot of pain, have not succeeded yet.

Do you know how to activate sound service under core mode? I do not know any of the 'secret' commands...

Thank you very much

• g2fg2f likes this

#4 Adrian

Adrian

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:53 PM

What activates sound service on WS core is to install kernel streaming and media support during AO installation. From AO manual:

Installation of Kernel-Streaming and MediaPlayer Support This feature primarily re-enables the Kernel-Streaming architecture in Server Core. Aside from that it enables countless media players in either core, minimal-server and GUI Mode of Windows Server 2012 R2.

#5 pavgeris

pavgeris

Beginner

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

Hello Adrian!

From the installation guide, I should first install everything and then run AO. But here it seems that AO should first be initiated.

I have also read somewhere that in order to be able to run KS drivers, I need to copy 3 files from the GUI installation and apply a registry hack.

Before AO installation, I should perform the WS2016 updates which are a lot. But I really doubt if those updates can be installed that easily, as I do not know the appropriate commands under text mode.

I think that I should give an end to this nightmare called core mode.

Before giving it up, I would go once more.

So, to sum up:

1. I install WS2016 core, then how do I perform the updates?

2. After chipset and LAN drivers installation, I need to install AO and run it, with KS and media support

3. I copy the 3 files and perform the registry hack

4. I install KS drivers for my Pink Faun card

I think that all the above should be correct?

Let's go for the last time...

#6 Adrian

Adrian

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:05 PM

1. I install WS2016 core, then how do I perform the updates?

2. After chipset and LAN drivers installation, I need to install AO and run it, with KS and media support

3. I copy the 3 files and perform the registry hack

4. I install KS drivers for my Pink Faun card

1 - You run "sconfig" to show the option to install the updates, but you don't need to install them if you can manage to get the audio to work

2 - Never did it. WS core install already recognizes them 

3 - Don't need to do the hack if you use AO and install kernel streaming support

4 - You can use Driver Helper function of ServiceTool on AO to see if helps

I also recommend to read trough all the AO and JPLAY manual. Lot of good stuff there. If you can't manage to use Windows Server core mode, you can go with gui mode that is already very nice.

#7 pavgeris

pavgeris

Beginner

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

Thank you so much guys for all your invaluable info!

I will try later today & tomorrow in order to verify good operation

I will let you know of course!

A big 'THANK YOU'!

#8 pavgeris

pavgeris

Beginner

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:15 PM

I want to thank BernieK for his invaluable help. I will practice and will be back with my update.

Thanks a lot!

#9 pavgeris

pavgeris

Beginner

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:04 PM

This is my latest update with my problem.

I have gone the way suggested. WS2016 core installation.

My main problem for the drivers installation is that these drivers should be installed after the audio service is up and running.

In GUI mode, by typing 'mmsys.cpl', a message appears, declaring that the audio service is not active and then asks if it should be activated. Then the de-activated audio service (all WS edition s have audio service deactivated by default) comes up and the rest is piece of cake.

In core mode, after AO installation and optimization, by typing 'mmsys.cpl' the error message appears:

'mmsys.cpl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I need to underline that the command 'devmgmt.msc' works fine after AO installation, where previously it is inactive as well.

Without sound devices appearing on the device manager, there is no way for me to install the drivers for my Pink Faun card. I suspect that I need to activate the Windows Audio service first. But I don't know how to make this services list appear under core mode, while in GUI mode everything is fine.

Thank you in advance.

Peter Avgeris

#10 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • LocationSillycon Valley

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:17 PM

Did you try to run AO -WASAPI? It will inject WASAPI capability to the system and let you run mmsys.pl command. Read AudioPhil 's thread posted May 07, 2017 in Jplay forums/Computer audio.
WS2019 core, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY/JCAT XE/iOS, ES/TC, Xeon CPU, Industrial ECC RAM, Gustard X26, Singxer SU6, Linkwitz Pluto 2.1+

#11 pavgeris

pavgeris

Beginner

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

Did you try to run AO -WASAPI? It will inject WASAPI capability to the system and let you run mmsys.pl command. Read AudioPhil 's thread posted May 07, 2017 in Jplay forums/Computer audio.

WASAPI? No! I am intended to install KS drivers, so did not try to use this one.

I am going to try a new, fresh installation right now.

#12 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • LocationSillycon Valley

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

Mmsys.cpl command comes with WASAPI. You want mmsys.cpl, you need to install WASAPI.
WS2019 core, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY/JCAT XE/iOS, ES/TC, Xeon CPU, Industrial ECC RAM, Gustard X26, Singxer SU6, Linkwitz Pluto 2.1+

#13 pavgeris

pavgeris

Beginner

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

Dear friends,

after many attempts, I managed to succeed installing WS2016 in core mode.

But still experiencing a lot of problems with the CF SATA adapters. Maybe incompatibility issues...

I will be back!

Thanks for everything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users