#1 Elprior

Elprior

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

Hi,

I guess nobody dares starting this thread, so I'll take a shot :)

Artist : Composer

Album : The edges of the world

Genre : Electronic

Resolution : 24/44.1

Great music, each track having its own atmosphere.

Fantastic sound quality, and I'm not saying so because those are french guys :)

This is humiliating everything I have tried up to 24/96 so far.

Artist : Kimmo Pohjonen / Samuli Kosminen & Kronos Quartet

Album : Uniko

Genre : Classico-electro-romantico-whatever

Resolution : 16/44.1

Wow (I'll let you find out) !

Artist : Daniel Balavoine

Album : Intégrale des albums studio

Genre : Pop

Resolution : 16/44.1

Sound is rather crappy, but this singer was so good.

It makes sense to understand french as the texts are pretty good.

Guillaume

#2 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

Guillaume, finally some life in this section, great :)

I'll try to take a look (listen) to your selections. I'm very interested in hearing Uniko... but first I'll follow your idea and post some of the albums that's been (j)played recently:

- Youn Sun Nah - Voyage; great vocalist, great realization

Christian Scott - Yesterday You Said Tomorrow; my favorite trumpeter 

Dhafer Youssef - Abu Nawas Rhapsody; very deep and emotional music

- Patricia Barber - Night Club; actually I saw her live last week, but I'm very disappointed with her performance ;/

- Riverside - Out of myself; I love it ;)

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#3 Elprior

Elprior

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

He Marcin,   Uniko is a MUST have imho.   Youn Sun Nah, cool ! Makes me think of this one (where she sings in one song) : Artist : Isabelle Olivier Album : My Foolish Harp Resolution : 16/44.1 The title says it all. The lady is playing harp in a new age-jazz way that is very cool. This is also my wife's harp teacher :)   Artist : Hadouk Trio Album : Live at FIP Resolution : 16/44.1 Live recording with such a good feeling. The music is awesome. And the sound quality is top notch. Highly recommended.   Ok, I'm going to listen to Riverside now ;)

#4 Elprior

Elprior

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

Well people are still shy here ! Another suggestion of mine then...   Artist : Other Lives Album : Tamer Animals Resolution : 16/44.1 Genre : folk The recording quality is average at best. But the music is very good : delicate yet inspired.   Artist : Capilla Flamenca Resolution : 16/44.1 Genre : classical Any album you can pick from them. This is my favorite vocal ensemble. Recording quality is always good. The Ars Nova at its best :)   Guillaume

#5 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

Guillaume,    Listen to that:    :)

#6 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

OK, let's rock! My recent discovery: Popol Ace - Stolen from time feature=related   Beautiful classic prog ;)

#7 Ken Moreland

Ken Moreland

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hi, try the 24/96 version of this, http://bluecoastreco........collection

here's a quote from Amazon.com,

Blue Coast sets a new standard in Audio excellence with the Blue Coast Collection. This award winning collection of songs has been recognized by audiophiles and casual listeners for its sonic precision combined with passionate musical performances. Performed in the studio without the use of headphones, overdubs or digital effects, these sessions led to a proprietary recording technique called Extended Sound Environment (E.S.E.), which creates a holographic sensation for both surround and stereo recordings through microphone placement and allows the musicians a more dynamic performance. We hope you have as much enjoyment listening as we did making it.

Label founder, and five time Grammy nominated producer/engineer Cookie Marenco, assembled a cast of world-class performers, engineers and technicians familiar with her passion for audio excellence and appreciation of skilled musicianship. Done in DSD, the sound take uses E.S.E. technology, a patented technique Cookie Marenco developed with Jean-Claude Reynaud. B&K microphones, silver audio cables specially created for these sessions, and a sound take excluding all digital tricks and awkward phase rotations produce a truth of restitution that stands out of the ordinary. On this disc, Blue Coast are in direct contact with great artists. Voices are sublime, the authenticity of the guitars is amazing and the standing bass in the finale is even more astounding.

Exceptional acoustic recording! Blue Coast Records recorded the original tracks with a surround listening experience in mind. They were recorded, monitored and mixed for 5.1 ITU configuration and may also be enjoyed on traditional surround systems and stereo CD players.

The music was recorded to 2" tape using Dolby SR. The surround version was mixed to Direct Stream Digital on the Sonoma System. The stereo layers were mixed to 1/2" tape. During the recording a Jean Marie Reynaud Offrande surround speaker system was used for monitoring with JMR silver cable wiring throughout recording and playback systems. Microphones from Didrik DeGeer and DPA/B&K were used with preamps by Millennia, Manley and Didrik.

A combination of direct and room mic placements contribute to the Extended Sound Environment (E.S.E.) recording technique enhancing both the surround and stereo listening experience.

In a world where musicianship and audio quality have often been sacrificed for convenience, we aspire to preserve the traditions of excellence in recording.

KM

Jplay FEMTO / QuietPC i5  / AO 3.0 / Extreme Stabilizer / SingXer SU-6 / Holo Audio Spring Dac / Roundtree Mono Class A amps / Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2  speakers/ 

#8 Elprior

Elprior

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

He Marcin,   cool, so far ! Christian Scott is about to enter my library ;)   Ken,   yes, BlueCoastRecords is a well-known audiophile recordings editor. Cookie seems to be really passionate about music (although I entirely disagree with her regarding computer issues). Do you have something more specific to recommend, it looks like a sampler to me (I might be wrong) ?   Thx, Guillaume

Edited by Elprior, 29 November 2011 - 07:30 PM.

#9 Ken Moreland

Ken Moreland

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:48 PM

Hi Guillaume, no it's not a sampler , it's a great album .

Here's another one http://www.allmusic.........oa-r135925 

I have this as a 24/88 Studio Master.

KM

Edited by Ken Moreland, 29 November 2011 - 09:02 PM.

Jplay FEMTO / QuietPC i5  / AO 3.0 / Extreme Stabilizer / SingXer SU-6 / Holo Audio Spring Dac / Roundtree Mono Class A amps / Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2  speakers/ 

#10 Ken Moreland

Ken Moreland

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

Or these two;

Clark Terry One on One 24/96  http://www.allmusic.........606/review

Dave Brubeck Quartet  Concord on a Summer Night 24/96  http://www.allmusic.........ht-r151525    (Sligolad mentioned this one on another thread, listen to the crickets!!)

KM

#11 Elprior

Elprior

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

Ken, thanks !

Marcin, ever heard this one ?

ob=av2e

Guillaume

Edited by Elprior, 30 November 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#12 michaelp

michaelp

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:48 AM

Thanks Guillaume for the tip on SBTRAKT -just bought it, really love Widfire and Trials of the Past Not a Dance fan usually, but the syncopation on those tracks is hypnotic -like Electronic Reggae ! Can I recommend just about anything on the Putumayo Label Esp: Salsa, Tango, Afro Latin, World Reggae All compilations of various artists, great range of world music and generally great SQ Michael...

Win 10 PC, fanless - 30cm Mundorf Silver/Gold USB cable - Hegel H390 - QED 0003 Supremus Speaker cable - Dynaudio Heritage Specials - Huge Smile factor :)

#13 Elprior

Elprior

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hi Michael,   you're welcome, and thx for your recommendations :) I can't find this label on Quobuz at all, so I'll have to take a different road if I ever want to test.   Guillaume

#14 michaelp

michaelp

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

Yes, You may have to return to those old fashioned CD's !!

Win 10 PC, fanless - 30cm Mundorf Silver/Gold USB cable - Hegel H390 - QED 0003 Supremus Speaker cable - Dynaudio Heritage Specials - Huge Smile factor :)

#15 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

Guillaume, sorry I missed your last post - nice piece, I like it :) Although in general I taste in darker climates such as Diary of Dreams - my beloved band. Their early works always touch me   feature=related   And something 'lighter': feature=related   feature=related

#16 Elprior

Elprior

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Marcin, I see what you mean by 'darker' :)

Ok people, no one has been listening to Uniko, or you would have reported ;)

So here's the link to the first part (8 all-in-all, I'll let you follow the links).

Listen loudly as this is one of the most refined/detailled piece of music you will hear.

Enjoy, and buy the album !

Guillaume

[Edit] Of course, the SQ of youtube completely sucks, and robs part of the magic here, but you know what I'm talking about :)

[Edit2] Arghhh, editing removed the link :(

Edited by Elprior, 15 December 2011 - 05:04 PM.

#17 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Guillaume   Yes, I listened to UNIKO, it's nice, but didn't blow my mind :) Check this one:

#18 Elprior

Elprior

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Uniko reminds me so much of Iceland ! That would explain why I may be biased ;)   Some more. I guess everyone knows this one, but it's always good to remind people of nice stuff :) ob=av2n   Guillaume

#19 izumrudy

izumrudy

Beginner

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

This may sound weird as it's not an audiophile album but after all it's all about music =) Enjoying Wingless Angels for a 3rd day now. Great music!
Lenovo x200 Win 7 64N JPLAY mini -> Etheraudio NOS Tube PCM2704 chip based DAC -> 300b SE tube mono blocks -> Little 37 horns with Ether 7.1 Alnico drivers. All interconnects, mains, USB cable are solid core Etheraudio silver.

#20 Elprior

Elprior

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

It's definitely about music. If the quality is fine too, then no harm done, but that's second to music.   Thanks for the tip, I like it so far :)   Guillaume

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users