No replies to this topic

#1 jpgk

jpgk

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

the recommendation for buffer size always seems to be to use the lowest stable size.

undoubtedly, I get more detail when using directlink than when using 1024 samples, but the sound is smoother and less digital at 1024 samples.

I found this intriguing and did some investigation. the theory behind low sample buffers is that it is better to have smaller electrical activity more often than larger bursts of activity, it is also essential to have low latency for recording and is felt to be beneficial for playback as well. However, the small bursts of activity produce a high frequency electrical noise, which the theory says, can be filtered out further downstream. the article quoted 3khz noise for a 96 khz file ie there will be a different noise signature depending on the resolution of the file.

So the observation is that the buffer size can affect the sound quality by actually producing noise and maybe there is a balance to be obtained between desired resolution and acceptable noise ie maybe should try other values apart from directlink. Also, different file resolutions can be affected differently. maybe why 16/44.1 sounds surprisingly good sometimes.

i guess if the memory was inside the dac this would be less of an issue.

http://www.cicsmemor........SIOLatency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users