8 replies to this topic

#1 Todd H

Todd H

Beginner

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:03 PM

If you'd like to skip my rambling about my hifi journey, jump to the third paragraph.

Twenty five odd years ago I decided to step up my audio game and replace the once vaunted Yamaha receiver and Speakerlab noise makers for something "awesome". I had NO idea what I was doing and after listening to all the "best" receivers and speakers in the various electronic and stereo shops around the Seattle/Tacoma area, I was left underwhelmed. I knew I wanted to go beyond the most common offerings 99% of people thought of as good HiFi but it turned out my impression of that, IE Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Sony etc. the so called next level receivers, were not cutting it. I couldnt find receivers or speakers that seemed to do what I wanted. Then by chance, my wife met a woman while working as a fitness trainer in a swanky country club that told her we needed to go see their "audio guy". Haha, her and her husband (a brain surgeon) had an audio guy. Sounded expensive. But OK, we agreed to go see this audio wizard. We followed directions to the University District of Seattle and traveled North into what I now refer to as the Mecca of true HiFi in the Northwest. It was two blocks lined with mom and pop hifi shops pedaling equipment with names I'd never heard of. An alternate audio dimension of sorts. How did we not know about this place?? As we made our way to our appointment we found ourselves at a little house near the end of audio row, just off the business district. We thought, this cant be it, but we walked up to the door and looked inside to see a makeshift counter on one side and a little man at a small table on the other side soldering wires on something. We walked in and asked for "John". A short statured blind man was summoned from a dark hallway. We thought, who better to assess beautiful sound reproduction then a man borne without sight? This adventure just got better and better. As he led us down the dark hallway from which he arose we noticed it was lined with speakers, each set growing progressively taller and taller until they were well over my 6' height. Now were talking! The dark hallway opened into a giant, lit, living room area filled wall to wall with electronics and speakers, all hifi stuff. Only small trails remained to navigate through the piles. John cleared a space on a small couch for my wife and I, and then he proceeded to jockey speakers and hifi parts into position. All bearing names I'd never heard before. Linn, Rega, Cary, Chapman etc. Finally he asked what we liked to listen to. We said "Van Halen!"  He patiently said "try this". It was a beautiful female vocal piece that made us melt into our seats. It was as if angels were lifting the notes out of the air and gently dropping them into our ears. We were astonished! Thus began our hifi journey. And yes, it was expensive. For us.

Today I find myself venturing into completely uncharted territory as I attempt to assemble my parts list for a new audio computer. Finding this forum and the expertise herein makes me feel much like I did when I wandered into John's shop some 25 odd years ago and discovered a whole new world of sound. It's very exciting to know that I have an opportunity to hear the opinions and expertise so graciously offered here. I really do feel privileged.

As I've researched, asked questions, read articles and forum posts, there's one thing I can't quite get a handle on: Power. I hear many extol the virtues of running linear power supplies. In fact, I read this (https://audiobacon.n...plies/#comments) giant article on various audio grade LPSU's and was somewhat surprised to see how unique and different one LPSU can affect sound VS another. If I had not experienced the ability of external power supplies to enhance sound quality with my Naim equipment, I would probably be a little skeptical. But I'm not. I get it.

After all my reading and studying I still don't quite get the computer power supply matrix. I understand that Marcin makes these very cool network cards that allow a person to plug in a linear power supply to those isolated components, but...

what about the mother board, or the hard drive, why not just power the whole computer with a "linear power supply"? Would that alleviate the need to separately power components? Is it even possible?

And does it have to be "linear"?

I know Naim Audio has separate power supplies, I have a couple in my system to great affect. Can I just modify one of those and use if for my audio computer? Is it even "Linear"?

I'm sorry for the thousand questions but I am really confused on the topic. As I contemplate building an audio computer to replace my laptop I see I'm given the choice between 300w and 500w and sometimes more powerful internal power supplies and I can't help but wonder if that whole system can be replaced with something more audiophile grade. I guess what I'm curious about is how a person might go about optimizing every aspect of the power for an audio computer while maintaining some semblance of a budget.

• Carlosoptico and offeringviborm like this

#2 Carlosoptico

Carlosoptico

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationPedreguer , Alicante , España

Posted 14 September 2022 - 07:39 AM

If you'd like to skip my rambling about my hifi journey, jump to the third paragraph.

Twenty five odd years ago I decided to step up my audio game and replace the once vaunted Yamaha receiver and Speakerlab noise makers for something "awesome". I had NO idea what I was doing and after listening to all the "best" receivers and speakers in the various electronic and stereo shops around the Seattle/Tacoma area, I was left underwhelmed. I knew I wanted to go beyond the most common offerings 99% of people thought of as good HiFi but it turned out my impression of that, IE Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Sony etc. the so called next level receivers, were not cutting it. I couldnt find receivers or speakers that seemed to do what I wanted. Then by chance, my wife met a woman while working as a fitness trainer in a swanky country club that told her we needed to go see their "audio guy". Haha, her and her husband (a brain surgeon) had an audio guy. Sounded expensive. But OK, we agreed to go see this audio wizard. We followed directions to the University District of Seattle and traveled North into what I now refer to as the Mecca of true HiFi in the Northwest. It was two blocks lined with mom and pop hifi shops pedaling equipment with names I'd never heard of. An alternate audio dimension of sorts. How did we not know about this place?? As we made our way to our appointment we found ourselves at a little house near the end of audio row, just off the business district. We thought, this cant be it, but we walked up to the door and looked inside to see a makeshift counter on one side and a little man at a small table on the other side soldering wires on something. We walked in and asked for "John". A short statured blind man was summoned from a dark hallway. We thought, who better to assess beautiful sound reproduction then a man borne without sight? This adventure just got better and better. As he led us down the dark hallway from which he arose we noticed it was lined with speakers, each set growing progressively taller and taller until they were well over my 6' height. Now were talking! The dark hallway opened into a giant, lit, living room area filled wall to wall with electronics and speakers, all hifi stuff. Only small trails remained to navigate through the piles. John cleared a space on a small couch for my wife and I, and then he proceeded to jockey speakers and hifi parts into position. All bearing names I'd never heard before. Linn, Rega, Cary, Chapman etc. Finally he asked what we liked to listen to. We said "Van Halen!"  He patiently said "try this". It was a beautiful female vocal piece that made us melt into our seats. It was as if angels were lifting the notes out of the air and gently dropping them into our ears. We were astonished! Thus began our hifi journey. And yes, it was expensive. For us.

Today I find myself venturing into completely uncharted territory as I attempt to assemble my parts list for a new audio computer. Finding this forum and the expertise herein makes me feel much like I did when I wandered into John's shop some 25 odd years ago and discovered a whole new world of sound. It's very exciting to know that I have an opportunity to hear the opinions and expertise so graciously offered here. I really do feel privileged.

As I've researched, asked questions, read articles and forum posts, there's one thing I can't quite get a handle on: Power. I hear many extol the virtues of running linear power supplies. In fact, I read this (https://audiobacon.n...plies/#comments) giant article on various audio grade LPSU's and was somewhat surprised to see how unique and different one LPSU can affect sound VS another. If I had not experienced the ability of external power supplies to enhance sound quality with my Naim equipment, I would probably be a little skeptical. But I'm not. I get it.

After all my reading and studying I still don't quite get the computer power supply matrix. I understand that Marcin makes these very cool network cards that allow a person to plug in a linear power supply to those isolated components, but...

what about the mother board, or the hard drive, why not just power the whole computer with a "linear power supply"? Would that alleviate the need to separately power components? Is it even possible?

And does it have to be "linear"?

I know Naim Audio has separate power supplies, I have a couple in my system to great affect. Can I just modify one of those and use if for my audio computer? Is it even "Linear"?

I'm sorry for the thousand questions but I am really confused on the topic. As I contemplate building an audio computer to replace my laptop I see I'm given the choice between 300w and 500w and sometimes more powerful internal power supplies and I can't help but wonder if that whole system can be replaced with something more audiophile grade. I guess what I'm curious about is how a person might go about optimizing every aspect of the power for an audio computer while maintaining some semblance of a budget.

Hi Todd , I really liked your first great experience in Hifi . Answering your questions, I would say that you can power your entire computer music server with an LPS, type HDPLEX 500 or JCAT OPTIMO S ATX. You can connect the ATX 24 pin and CPU terminals, and even the PCIe rails, needed to boot the motherboard. And you can also externally connect JCAT cards with their 5v lines. If some of us feed some parts with other LPSs, it is because the noise level of a low voltage, low power linear LPS is lower than that of a 500w linear LPS. In digital everything matters and any component, AC and DC cables, have their character and the sum of all, is what will define your sound. In such a way that the weakest part of the chain means that the whole set does not shine at its maximum until it is changed for another of higher quality. That is why you have to identify the weak points and give them a solution.Carlos
  • Thuan and Todd H like this
HDPLEX H5 ,Intel Xeon E3 1235L v5 , Asus P10S WS , 16 GB RAM ECC Apacer , 2 SSD M.2 FEMTO NVME , LPS PLIXIR ELITE BDC 5 V. 4 A. ,JCAT USB XE , JCAT NET XE ,2 JCAT NET Isolator, JCAT USB-LAN Ground Conditioner ,JCAT ÓPTIMO 3 DUO 2 x 5 voltios , 2 JCAT Enhancer USB , PSU JCAT OPTIMO S ATX, Hub Orico ( alimentación CC solar 12 voltios ) 3 X 4 TB W.D. Caviar , Final Touch Audio Sinope USB cable 1 m. , Ubiquiti Edgerouter X( alimentación CC solar 12 voltios ) AP Aruba ( alimentación CC solar 12 voltios whith ldovr DXP-IA5S) ,cables interconnection CC Neotech JSS360 - Oyaide ,Devialet 400 with Sam 100% Audio Physic Cardeas plus, digital cable interconnection amplifiers Devialet silver-gold alloy Wires 4 Music Osiris 1 m.,Kimber kable select 3033 2.5 m., Audio Physic Cardeas plus, 2 furniture Artesania Audio, installation electric solar 48 Volt, with converter sine wave pure victron 5000 W. Power cables CA Oyaide EE/F-S2.6 V2 Cuper 102 SSC FEP whit Furutech FI-50E /FI-50 NCR R and Vovox Textura
JPLAY FEMTO , KS Devialet , ultrastream, DAC Link 700 Hz , throtlle ON , Hibernate ON . 0,5 ms. , BubbleUPnP , Fidelizer 8.7 Pro

#3 Todd H

Todd H

Beginner

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 14 September 2022 - 06:14 PM

Thanks Carlos. So you can power the different components with an all in one solution like the Optimo ATX. Does this mean the computer does not need the associated internal power supply that handles the AC wattage from the wall outlet?

#4 Iain

Iain

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 September 2022 - 07:36 AM

Yes

#5 Todd H

Todd H

Beginner

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 16 September 2022 - 07:47 AM

OK, got it. Thanks.

So the drawback to the bigger LPS's that can power everything is they tend to carry a bit more noise so the sensitive parts (net/usb cards) are handled by separate, smaller dedicated power supplies.

Carlos, it seems you have the ultimate power supply chain. Would it be possible to quantify the contribution of the various pieces? As I continue to read it seems a bulk of what one can expect is derived from the network and usb cards. Does that seem like a reasonable conclusion?

#6 Carlosoptico

Carlosoptico

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationPedreguer , Alicante , España

Posted 16 September 2022 - 12:04 PM

OK, got it. Thanks.

So the drawback to the bigger LPS's that can power everything is they tend to carry a bit more noise so the sensitive parts (net/usb cards) are handled by separate, smaller dedicated power supplies.

Carlos, it seems you have the ultimate power supply chain. Would it be possible to quantify the contribution of the various pieces? As I continue to read it seems a bulk of what one can expect is derived from the network and usb cards. Does that seem like a reasonable conclusion?

Hi Todd. It is very difficult for me to quantify the effect of each of the components because they are connected by AC and DC wires and I have made many variations over the last four years. The chassis and its vibration isolation, the motherboard and its CPU, the RAM and especially the SSD and the ATX and DC current they receive are important. And also the USB and NET cards. Today you could buy an LPS HDPLEX 500 or JCAT Optimo S-ATX and power everything you need for a server. You can then add one or two Optimo Nano inside the chassis if you want to improve the sound of the cards and/or SSDs and with a single AC cable from your LPS to the wall outlet.Carlos
  • Todd H likes this
HDPLEX H5 ,Intel Xeon E3 1235L v5 , Asus P10S WS , 16 GB RAM ECC Apacer , 2 SSD M.2 FEMTO NVME , LPS PLIXIR ELITE BDC 5 V. 4 A. ,JCAT USB XE , JCAT NET XE ,2 JCAT NET Isolator, JCAT USB-LAN Ground Conditioner ,JCAT ÓPTIMO 3 DUO 2 x 5 voltios , 2 JCAT Enhancer USB , PSU JCAT OPTIMO S ATX, Hub Orico ( alimentación CC solar 12 voltios ) 3 X 4 TB W.D. Caviar , Final Touch Audio Sinope USB cable 1 m. , Ubiquiti Edgerouter X( alimentación CC solar 12 voltios ) AP Aruba ( alimentación CC solar 12 voltios whith ldovr DXP-IA5S) ,cables interconnection CC Neotech JSS360 - Oyaide ,Devialet 400 with Sam 100% Audio Physic Cardeas plus, digital cable interconnection amplifiers Devialet silver-gold alloy Wires 4 Music Osiris 1 m.,Kimber kable select 3033 2.5 m., Audio Physic Cardeas plus, 2 furniture Artesania Audio, installation electric solar 48 Volt, with converter sine wave pure victron 5000 W. Power cables CA Oyaide EE/F-S2.6 V2 Cuper 102 SSC FEP whit Furutech FI-50E /FI-50 NCR R and Vovox Textura
JPLAY FEMTO , KS Devialet , ultrastream, DAC Link 700 Hz , throtlle ON , Hibernate ON . 0,5 ms. , BubbleUPnP , Fidelizer 8.7 Pro

#7 Todd H

Todd H

Beginner

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 17 September 2022 - 09:37 AM

Thank you Carlos and Lain. I feel like I have a solid understanding now. I know this was pretty elementary for this board but I'm starting from a pretty low knowledge base so I appreciate your patience.

Todd 

• Carlosoptico likes this

#8 Iain

Iain

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 September 2022 - 01:24 PM

This might be interesting for you

https://audiophilest...o=getNewComment

#9 Todd H

Todd H

Beginner

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 19 September 2022 - 08:59 PM

Thanks lain, that is a good read. Appreciate the link.

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users