#1 JeroenD

JeroenD

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands, Eindhoven

Posted 06 May 2022 - 02:17 PM

Hello all who read this.

I am a passionate audiophile from the Netherlands.

Until now I used a Metrum Ambre as streamer and Metrum Adagio as DAC.

Recently I bought the Holo audio May KTE as an upgrade. Very very good DAC for its price.

I want to build a dedicated computer streamer and connect it via USB to the May DAC.

After reading many posts on this forum and on other forums I have some ideas about hardware and software which I want to verify with you. Also, it is not so easy to find the right hardware for the right price these days and I want to avoid doing to many compromises.

Please provide feedback on the following list:

Case: Streacom ST-FC9S Alpha or HDPLEX H3 V3

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SCL-F mATX C242

Processor: Intel Xeon E-2236

Memory: Kingston KTD-PE426E/16G ECC or something else

Network interface: Jcat NET Card XE

USB interface: Jcat USB Card XE

SSD: Samsung 980 500GB or something else

Power supply: I am not sure jet. In the future I would like to move to something like the HDPLEX 500W ATX or build my own high quality LPS. But I think I am going to do this step by step and start with a decent switching PC power supply and Jcat INITIO 3 for powering both Jcat cards and using the OPTIMO nano to power the SSD drive.

Software: Audiophile Optimizer, ROON bridge, HQplayer for upsampling.

In the near future I want to use Acourate for timing and phase correction, and later for software crossover (2nd DAC used for controlling the 2 active subs. This way I can remove the active analog filter as low pass filter which is a weak part in my system I think)

Is the CPU powerful enough running the planned software applications?

Any comments and suggestions on the rest of the hardware/ software?

My system:

• A fully acoustic optimized listening room with 24 big diffusers (180 cm tall), damping for proper decay times (very important part of my system).
  • Holo audio May KTE
  • Audio Research LS26 (modified with V-caps and other improvements)
  • Krell KSA-300S (upgraded with better components)
  • Active low pass crossover from Magnepan
  • Magnepan MG 20.1 modified (wiring, filters)
  • 2x Velodyne DD12 used for 100Hz and below. The bass panels of the MG20.1 I don’t use because the have an audible negative effect on the mid panel and ribbon tweeter.
  • Audio Research VS115 which in the future want to use to drive the ribbon tweeters. MG20.1 mid panel starts at 100Hz and needs a lot of power. The Krell has more control of the mid panel and sounds better. The VS115 sounds very sweet in the high frequencies.

#2 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Moderators
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 May 2022 - 10:11 AM

Hi JeroenD

Your duplicate post (posted at 7.29pm) has been deleted. Please do not post a second time if you have not received a reply.

Thanks,

Bernie

Control Point: Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, 128Gb storage, 4Gb RAM, Bubble UPnP 3.6.8.1, or Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptop (Windows Server 2019 - Standard Edition Desktop), Intel Core i7-3612QM, 2.1 GHz, 1Tb 5400 rpm SATA HDD, 16Gb Kingston DDR3 1600 MHz RAM, Upplay 1.4.10
Control and Audio-PCs: Asus Mini PC PN60, Intel Core i5 8250U 1.6 GHz, 250Gb Kingston A2000 M2 NVMe SSD and 8Gb DDR4 2400 MHz RAM.

OS: Windows Server 2019 (Standard Edition) in highly optimized Desktop mode, command prompt shell for initial setup after which both PCs run headless (no monitor, keyboard or mouse)
Optimization: Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, LemonadeElitest 50, MajiorityClean 288, Process Lasso Server Edition 10.4.8.8, TrustedClean 1.4, Windows processes/services stopped via a modified CAD DSK script, registry editor and task manager. For optimization procedure see Guide for Optimizing WS2019 in a Dual or Single PC JPLAY Femto-Based System (revised 27/June/2022): https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Renderer: JPLAY FEMTO 7.0D UPnP (Alternative version), Server: JPLAY FEMTO 7.0D femtoServer, File Manager: Q-Dir 10.8.8.0, Library Manager: JRiver MC 27.0.15
JPLAY Settings: Playing via: KS; Engine: ULTRAstream; Bitstream: Native; Bitperfect Volume: OFF; DAC Link: 500; XtreamSize: 1000; Throttle: ON; Hibernate Mode: ON
Equipment Configuration: Control Point Tablet/Laptop > WiFi > Control-PC > 1m SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC + JCAT USB Enhancer > 3m Chord C-USB Cable > Luxman DA-06 > 1m Chord Chameleon Plus XLR cables > Luxman L-505ux MkII (or Luxman DA-06 > 1ProA2 RCA cable > Rotel RC-1590 > 1m ProA2 RCA cable > Rotel RB-1590) > DIY speaker cables (Tycab PVC doubly insulated 11 AWG OFC wire, TechFlex braid, Neotech Banana/Spade connectors) > Bryston PX-1 external crossovers > DIY speaker cables (as before) > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers

Music Storage: Main Library: 6Tb Seagate HDD/Hub+6Tb Seagate HDD (all connections via 0.5m Avencore Premium USB 3.0 cables); Backups: as per Main Library (x2)

#3 JeroenD

JeroenD

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 02:09 PM

Sorry, I could not find my own "first" message back on this forum.
​Looked like it was not published.

My system:

• A fully acoustic optimized listening room with 24 big diffusers (180 cm tall), damping for proper decay times (very important part of my system).
  • Holo audio May KTE
  • 2x Velodyne DD12 used for 100Hz and below. The bass panels of the MG20.1 I don’t use because the have an audible negative effect on the mid panel and ribbon tweeter.
  • Audio Research VS115 which in the future want to use to drive the ribbon tweeters. MG20.1 mid panel starts at 100Hz and needs a lot of power. The Krell has more control of the mid panel and sounds better. The VS115 sounds very sweet in the high frequencies.

#4 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 May 2022 - 04:17 PM

My two cents:

Case: FC9 or H3 is good, but how about H5 which has more real estate and better heat dissipation?
CPU: 6 cores 12 threads XEON will be more powerful (and produce more heat) than my 4-core XEON. Hence the H5 recommendation.
JCAT USB and NET XE are excellent choices for top SQ.
RAM: I'd go with the latest APACER ECC. Just sounds better.
Power supply: the better LPSU (and DC cables), the higher SQ.

Caveat emptor: I've never experienced ROON or upsampling.
WS2019 DataCentercore, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY Femto, MC/LE.

#5 JeroenD

JeroenD

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:49 PM

Thx for your feedback!

I will have a look at the HDPLEX H5.

I am happy to go to a less powerful, lower TDP XEON because it will also save money.

What I don't know is how much CPU power I need for the software and tasks I want to run.

Would be nice the receive advice on this and what Quad code XEON 1151 socket would be more than powerful enough (ideally it should have plenty of power left while running these applications).

I will look to the latest APACER ECC DDR4 RAM. So, this does not need to be the industrial version (very hard to find and very expensive)?

If I decide for the HDPLEX H5 ordering the also the HDPLEX 300W LPS + HDPLEX 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX could be an interesting package.
I could save some money now because this LPS can also power the SSD and both Jcat cards.

My system:

• Holo audio May KTE

#6 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 May 2022 - 09:46 PM

From what I read on a Roon/HD-Player forum, “there is no such thing as too much when upsampling to DSD. It is known to be heavy on CPU use, especially using some of the filter options in HQPlayer. The main priority is cooling. If you can dissipate the heat produced you should be fine.”

Instead of saving $$ and looking to be downsizing on CPU (and GPU) processing power, be prepared to invest in 8-12 core CPU (Ryzen) if stuttering and stoppages are not to happen while running these softwares. That’s my guess.

Wide temperature Apacer ECC DDR4 is most preferable.

#7 JeroenD

JeroenD

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 05:57 PM

I noticed that the HDPLEX H5, but also the Streacom cases don't accept the memory above the CPU because the heat pipes are on that side.

So, memory should always be behind the CPU (when the I/O bracket is the front) or underneath the CPU.

Is that correct?

If that is correct than the Supermicro X11SCL-F will not work.

I found a shop that still has the Supermicro X11SCA-F (which I think should work and is the same as Marcin uses).

But I was hoping to find a micro-ATX board with minimal 2x PCI-E ports for the 2 Jcat cards.

My system:

• Holo audio May KTE

#8 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2022 - 06:44 PM

Visit www.FullySilentPCs.com. Matt makes custom PCs using Supermicro mobo, XEON CPU and F9, H3 and H5 cases that you’re interested in. Take 19VDC from HDPLEX 300w (for instance).

Also, www.SilentPC.com makes custom PCs using ASUS mobo, XEON CPU and similar cases. Take 12VDC from HDPLEX 300W (for instance).

Their custom PCs accommodate 2 JCAT XE cards in PCI express ports. Once the memory modules are installed (under the heat pipes), you’d never have to touch them again. For ultimate SQ quality, install a Revelation Audio M.2 for OS, turn off noisy SATA controller and on-board LAN. Or, boot OS onto a RAM disk.

#9 JeroenD

JeroenD

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:15 PM

Nice, thanks for the tip!

I see Matt uses the Supermicro X11SCL-F in the HDPLEX H5. This board fits with my needs of Micro-ATX and has 3 PCI-E ports. Price is also better.

I then can use the powerful 80w TDP so I always have plenty of CPU power. This CPU probably can run on a low frequency so it will produce not so much heat.

I was not sure if the memory would fit underneath the heat pipes used in the H5.

I think using the H5 + HDPLEX 300W LPS + HDPLEX 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX would be a good combination to start with.

I found the Apacer Memory Modules DDR4 ECC DIMM 3200-22 1024x8 8GB SA Indus. At Mouser for 175,- Euro per 8GB module.

My system:

• Holo audio May KTE

#10 RCDingen

RCDingen

Beginner

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 May 2022 - 02:17 PM

This is my setup and I tried to better it but no luck.

The only improvement was to switch to the Jcat EX cards.

Netwerk card: Jcat net card femto
USB card: Jcat USB card femto
Cables: Jcat HD sata cable
Power supply: HDplex 400W ATX Linear power Supply with the HDplex 300W lineair supply
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1240LV5
Mainboard: Supermicro X11SSL-F
SSD: Apacer APS25AF7064G-4BTWT
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 4TB
Memory: Apacer 2x 4GB ECC DDR4 2400 CL17 AS
Kast: Streacom FC10 Alpha (there was no stock of the HDplex H5)

• Thuan likes this

#11 JeroenD

JeroenD

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 02:21 PM

Hello Thuan, I did send Matt an e-mail and mentioned him that you gave me the hint that he is building silent computers with H5 and Supermicro motherboard.

Matt did replay to me and confirmed that with standard memory modules without heatsink the heat pipes don't touch the memory modules when using a Supermicro X11SCL-F board.

So with your tip I now can continue being able to order most parts.

I only have to investigate a little more on SSD storage.

The Revelation Audio M.2 is to expense to my taste at the moment.

I was thinking on using a normal SSD and power it via the HDPLEX 300W LPSU.

I will try to find out which SSD performs best an if I can do more to reduce SSD noise (for example disable all not used SSD ports in BIOS).

Or is using "normal" M2 storage preferred over an SSD powered by a LPSU?

• Thuan likes this

My system:

• Holo audio May KTE

#12 JeroenD

JeroenD

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 02:27 PM

Power supply: HDplex 400W ATX Linear power Supply with the HDplex 300W lineair supply

Thanks for sharing!

I want to start with Jcat USB EX and Jcat NET EX.
I did read this is a good upgrade compared to the Femto cards.

What other things did you try to improve the SQ of your streamer?

So, you are happy with "HDplex 400W ATX Linear power Supply with the HDplex 300W lineair supply"?

Did you test with other power supplies?

Looks like your setup has many similarities with my intended setup.

I am almost ready to order all components. 

My system:

• Holo audio May KTE

#13 ciccio1112

ciccio1112

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationwww.avtek.it

Posted 10 May 2022 - 03:18 PM

I use the Supermicro X11SCL-F with H5 case and Apacer modules I had to slightly bend the heatpipes, but it is not difficult.

http://tweakvideo.altervista.org il   mio negozio: http://www.avtek.it

Il mio server audio singolo pc. Windows server 2019 + jplay 7 + ottimizzatore audiofilo 3.0 + fidelizer pro 8.4 

#14 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2022 - 03:24 PM

Beside upgrading to JCAT XE cards (expensive, and JCAT FEMTO cards are excellent choices already), I can think of several ways to improve your setup further:

1/ Power each card (USB and network) externally and individually with LPSUs, if you haven't done so
2/ Go SSD-less. Revelation Audio M.2 (expensive) or RAM disk (complex to me but several people have done it)
3/ Power OS SSD and music SSD externally and individually with LPSUs, if you haven't done so
4/ Upgrade HDPLEX 300W LPSU with an audio grade fuse. Synergistic Research Orange or Purple (expensive), or ACME Audio Lab's (reportedly better than SR Orange, way more affordable).

#15 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2022 - 03:34 PM

Hello Thuan, I did send Matt an e-mail and mentioned him that you gave me the hint that he is building silent computers with H5 and Supermicro motherboard.

Matt did replay to me and confirmed that with standard memory modules without heatsink the heat pipes don't touch the memory modules when using a Supermicro X11SCL-F board.

So with your tip I now can continue being able to order most parts.

I only have to investigate a little more on SSD storage.

The Revelation Audio M.2 is to expense to my taste at the moment.

I was thinking on using a normal SSD and power it via the HDPLEX 300W LPSU.

I will try to find out which SSD performs best an if I can do more to reduce SSD noise (for example disable all not used SSD ports in BIOS).

Or is using "normal" M2 storage preferred over an SSD powered by a LPSU?

I agree,  Revelation Audio M.2 price has gone up from $800 to $1,099, way expensive.  SSD is the way to go for now.  I'd use a small capacity (32GB) SLC SSD (Apacer or Intel) for OS and power it externally with an audio grade LPSU.  Or go RAM disk (less expenses, a bit more involving but a number of people here have done it).  

#16 ciccio1112

ciccio1112

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationwww.avtek.it

Posted 10 May 2022 - 03:39 PM

I would add that I would improve HDplex 400W ATX Linear power supply with HDplex 300W linear power supply with 800W combo and 500W HDPLEX ATX linear power supply. Or the JCAT OPTIMO S ATX top to finish the games.

• Thuan likes this

http://tweakvideo.altervista.org il   mio negozio: http://www.avtek.it

Il mio server audio singolo pc. Windows server 2019 + jplay 7 + ottimizzatore audiofilo 3.0 + fidelizer pro 8.4 

#17 cpasmoi

cpasmoi

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 04:53 PM

Hello

to bring you my little experience

I also built an audio server based on

Case: Streacom ST-FC9S

Motherboard: MSI Mortar B550

Processor: Ryzen 7 5700G

Memory :
G.Skill Ripjaws V Black - 2 x 8 GB (16 GB) - DDR4 3600 MHz - CL14

USB interface: Jcat XE USB card

SSD: Samsung 980 500 GB M2 with its heatsink on radiator

the internal wiring to connect it to the HDPLEX ATX HIFI 400 combo
-CPU, Motherboard
is custom made with 18 AWG OCC from VH audio to replace Neotech, it sounds much better

the cable that will connect the external power supply will be on a Mundorf base

I currently use Roon server and Hqpalyer Desktop and I can hard oversample up to 512 with the most greedy filters

to compensate for temperature dissipation

https://zupimages.ne...=22/16/1e5p.jpg

2 essential options

use of Thermal Cryonaut extreme thermal paste on the processor and the heat pipes on the walls

I made a custom-made ex plexiglass cover with the 3 elliptical holes in strategic locations

https://zupimages.ne...=22/16/j40f.jpg

as for linear power supplies, I trusted a friend who is a member of our Forum in France and who builds formidable linear power supplies

those used by my server

19 Volt 6 Amps

2 times 5 Volt in 3 A for Jcats cards

The DC cables between the linear power supply and the server are also on the basis of oyaide plugs and built from VH Audio Starquad cables, a big leap compared to neotech

the next evolution is an Audiophile SSD

and the replacement of the Hdplex 400 Hifi combo by the TAIKO

good for you

cpasmoi

• Thuan likes this

#18 RCDingen

RCDingen

Beginner

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 May 2022 - 06:46 PM

Beside upgrading to JCAT XE cards (expensive, and JCAT FEMTO cards are excellent choices already), I can think of several ways to improve your setup further:

1/ Power each card (USB and network) externally and individually with LPSUs, if you haven't done so
2/ Go SSD-less. Revelation Audio M.2 (expensive) or RAM disk (complex to me but several people have done it)
3/ Power OS SSD and music SSD externally and individually with LPSUs, if you haven't done so
4/ Upgrade HDPLEX 300W LPSU with an audio grade fuse. Synergistic Research Orange or Purple (expensive), or ACME Audio Lab's (reportedly better than SR Orange, way more affordable).

I did power the USB and Net card with external power supply.

Didn't power de SSD with external power supply.

I would add that I would improve HDplex 400W ATX Linear power supply with HDplex 300W linear power supply with 800W combo and 500W HDPLEX ATX linear power supply. Or the JCAT OPTIMO S ATX top to finish the games.

I have the HDplex 500W ATX power supply but mis one cable for testing on my old setup.

I build a new PC with the HDplex H5 and the HDplex 500W ATX linear power supply used a Asus WS 246M PRO/SE Intel Xeon E-2104 3,2 Samsung 980 Pro 2TB and the new Jcat XE cards.

But my old setup sounds much better.

So now I try to figure out why.

I put the XE cards in my old setup and it sounds much better than the normal Jcat card so the difference is bigger between the new and old setup.

I order the Taiko extreme DC DC ATX and going to build an unregulated 20V power supply.

So I want to try the difference between those 3 power supply's

Rob

#19 JeroenD

JeroenD

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 07:46 PM

I did power the USB and Net card with external power supply.

Didn't power de SSD with external power supply.

I have the HDplex 500W ATX power supply but mis one cable for testing on my old setup.

I build a new PC with the HDplex H5 and the HDplex 500W ATX linear power supply used a Asus WS 246M PRO/SE Intel Xeon E-2104 3,2 Samsung 980 Pro 2TB and the new Jcat XE cards.

But my old setup sounds much better.

So now I try to figure out why.

I put the XE cards in my old setup and it sounds much better than the normal Jcat card so the difference is bigger between the new and old setup.

I order the Taiko extreme DC DC ATX and going to build an unregulated 20V power supply.

So I want to try the difference between those 3 power supply's

Rob

Hé Rob, sounds like an interesting test to check if you hear difference between the different power supplies.

Would be nice to read your experience here later.

I don't know if the HDplex 500W ATX is a clear improvement compared to the HDPLEX 300W LPSU. Would be nice if you would be able to share your experience about that.

Being able to hear such differences will also depend on the resolution of the rest of your audio system and especially the DAC.

I recently bought a new DAC, the Holo audio May KTE. It is a very clear upgrade compared with my previous, also very good Metrum Adagio + Ambre streamer.

I now use a standard Dell laptop to stream to the Holo May via USB. It already sounds much better that the Adagio + Ambre. So, I expect to be able much better results with a very good computer streamer I am planning to build. Besides that, also nice that you can experiment and tweak a lot with a computer streamer compared to a expense dedicated streamer. Tweaking is for me also a very nice and important part of the hobby.

My system:

• Holo audio May KTE

#20 JeroenD

JeroenD

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 07:53 PM

Hello

to bring you my little experience

I also built an audio server based on

Case: Streacom ST-FC9S

Motherboard: MSI Mortar B550

Processor: Ryzen 7 5700G

Memory :
G.Skill Ripjaws V Black - 2 x 8 GB (16 GB) - DDR4 3600 MHz - CL14

USB interface: Jcat XE USB card

SSD: Samsung 980 500 GB M2 with its heatsink on radiator

the internal wiring to connect it to the HDPLEX ATX HIFI 400 combo
-CPU, Motherboard
is custom made with 18 AWG OCC from VH audio to replace Neotech, it sounds much better

the cable that will connect the external power supply will be on a Mundorf base

I currently use Roon server and Hqpalyer Desktop and I can hard oversample up to 512 with the most greedy filters

to compensate for temperature dissipation

https://zupimages.ne...=22/16/1e5p.jpg

2 essential options

use of Thermal Cryonaut extreme thermal paste on the processor and the heat pipes on the walls

I made a custom-made ex plexiglass cover with the 3 elliptical holes in strategic locations

https://zupimages.ne...=22/16/j40f.jpg

as for linear power supplies, I trusted a friend who is a member of our Forum in France and who builds formidable linear power supplies

those used by my server

19 Volt 6 Amps

2 times 5 Volt in 3 A for Jcats cards

The DC cables between the linear power supply and the server are also on the basis of oyaide plugs and built from VH Audio Starquad cables, a big leap compared to neotech

the next evolution is an Audiophile SSD

and the replacement of the Hdplex 400 Hifi combo by the TAIKO

good for you

cpasmoi

Very interesting to read that replacing the DC power cables by better cabling results in a clear improvement.

Can you explain the differences in SQ you noticed after improving the DC wiring of the LPSU.

My system:

• Holo audio May KTE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users