#161 samotc

samotc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationSalamanca, Spain

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:58 AM

Hi, Internet handle; I remember that I tried this, but to close "DcomLaunch" you had to individualize the Svchost process, which creates one more process, resulting in even if you kill it, the total number of processes does not drop below 12. Anyway, I'm going to try another time and I will inform you.

#162 t.arni

t.arni

Beginner

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:49 AM

Fist I want to thank all of you guys for sharing your findings, tweaks and even for some of you who spends so much time for writing detailed manuals for people like me. I wouldn't be there where I am today in matters of SQ if I didn't find this wonderful little forum, the jplay software AND the stunnig JCAT equipment. And so I am now able to configure all what I want in Server 2016/2019 in Coremode and the SQ is on an level that I never thought that it would be possible with digital audio chains

I was reading  the manual from samotec a few times and I have to say that I dont understand every step by now but I will go step by step and see how far I will come ;-) Often things get clear by doing them.

But my major question befor I start the WINPE adventure are:
Will JPlay also work on WIN10PE in RAM?
Is KernelStreaming still possible?

Or is it only possible to install a "standard" player like foobar or something else with Asio drivers.

Please excuse if these are silly questions.

Thx a lot,

Thomas

#163 Xp18

Xp18

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:55 AM

I have solved this problem. During disabling services, I made the mistake of disabling Rpcss. It causes PC crashes on startup.
Thanks Samotc and Internethandle.

#164 Xp18

Xp18

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 03:36 PM

I got into Win11XPE on Ram. In Device manager, Win11XPE recognized HDD box Usb 3.0.

Attached File  PSX_20220117_222413.jpg   380.54KB   1 downloads
In WinXshell "This PC" does not display the HDD music folder.
Attached File  PSX_20220117_222337.jpg   369.88KB   0 downloads
Is Virtual Disk service disabled?
Many thanks.

#165 samotc

samotc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 06:29 PM

Are all USB-related services and their dependents active?

#166 internethandle

internethandle

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:02 PM

Hi, Internet handle; I remember that I tried this, but to close "DcomLaunch" you had to individualize the Svchost process, which creates one more process, resulting in even if you kill it, the total number of processes does not drop below 12. Anyway, I'm going to try another time and I will inform you.

Hi samotc,

Unsure what you mean. In my Win11PE build at least, DcomLaunch is already in its own process and running on its own with no other services sharing its process instance - I have not changed its “Type” DWORD setting, and have killed anything else that it may be sharing the Svchost process with. Is that not the case for your build? It is true that I change LSM’s “Type” value to run in its own process and then killed it, which perhaps is the service you are thinking of. Regardless, my suspicion is that, with the FailureActions tweak, you should be able to kill their shared process together, if LSM is still running.

#167 internethandle

internethandle

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:35 PM

Fist I want to thank all of you guys for sharing your findings, tweaks and even for some of you who spends so much time for writing detailed manuals for people like me. I wouldn't be there where I am today in matters of SQ if I didn't find this wonderful little forum, the jplay software AND the stunnig JCAT equipment. And so I am now able to configure all what I want in Server 2016/2019 in Coremode and the SQ is on an level that I never thought that it would be possible with digital audio chains

I was reading the manual from samotec a few times and I have to say that I dont understand every step by now but I will go step by step and see how far I will come ;-) Often things get clear by doing them.

But my major question befor I start the WINPE adventure are:
Will JPlay also work on WIN10PE in RAM?
Is KernelStreaming still possible?

Or is it only possible to install a "standard" player like foobar or something else with Asio drivers.

Please excuse if these are silly questions.

Thx a lot,

Thomas

Hi t.arni,

I will need to defer to someone that uses JPLAY, as I never have. My suspicion is that you may have some initial trouble running JPLAY in Win11PE, but may be able to overcome any issues by determining any missing system files JPLAY might require, which is not too difficult. Just guessing based on my experience with PE so far, though - you may have no trouble. WASAPI works fine in Win11PE, so Kernel streaming should also be possible. Again, possible there may be some missing system files there (e.g. with TIDAL app I needed to copy over “AUDIOKSE.dll” from a host OS to get its exclusive playback mode to work), but surmountable if any issues arise.

#168 seeteeyou

seeteeyou

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:14 PM

http://jplay.eu/foru...icense-expired/

JPLAY (at least its activation part) seemed to be EXTREMELY sensitive to just about any kinda hardware changes as shown above, even swapping SSDs already resulted in "so much fun" and let's see what's gonna happen if we're booting Windows PE off USB drives / running everything off RAM etc.

Someone else was also having issues with a "missing" drive but nobody seemed to mention anything about Device Manager so far

https://www.tenforum...tml#post2360697

Keep reading the 46th page and further details could be found, one of them should have talked about copying device drivers to that Win10XPPE\Custom\x64\drivers folder but it might not be necessarily a cure for all computers. We could only give that a shot and see how it goes.

At the very least maybe we should confirm that we're having absolutely no issues with any device drivers + any services etc. whatsoever.

Once we're getting all that taken care of, let's just take a look at diskmgmt.msc (i.e. Disk Management) or diskpart.exe in order to find out if there were a specific drive that wasn't assigned a drive letter automatically.

#169 samotc

samotc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:25 PM

Hi, Internethandle, I already have LSM killed as a process.

In my Win11PE, DComLaunch by default shares a Svchost process with RPCEptMapper, to individualize it I have to change "DWORDType" to the value 16 dec, with which I create one more process . I have killed it and I continue with 12 processes, yes, with 1 active service less, I already have only 92 active services, I see it very difficult to lower this number.

#170 internethandle

internethandle

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:47 PM

Hi samotc,

That is very strange that DcomLaunch would be sharing a svchost process instance with RpcEptMapper.

As you may already know, svchost groups services based on "Service Group Name"s, which is determined in the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost" key. RpcSs and RpcEptMapper usually are bundled in their own Service Group Name, which is also called "RPCSS," whereas Power, LSM, BrokerInfrastructure, PlugPlay, DcomLaunch, SystemEventsBroker, and DeviceInstall are all grouped under a different Service Group Name, which is also just called "DcomLaunch." You can also see this when you hover your mouse cursor over the svchost.exe processes in Process Hacker.

If I'm remembering correctly your 12 processes include two svchost processes, correct? Are they the following?:

svchost.exe (DcomLaunch, RpcEptMapper)

svchost.exe (RpcSs)

?

Still seems odd to me if that's the case. If not, what are your two svchost.exe entries?

The only thing I can think of off that top of my head that could cause RpcEptMapper and DcomLaunch to group together is that you may still have the "SvcHostSplitThresholdInKB" setting at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control set to something other than its default of 380000, causing it to group normally separated services into shared processes. If that's the case, we really don't need that tweak anymore, and you should try setting it back to 380000. That may put DcomLaunch back into its own process, which should leave you with two svchost.exe entries again, this time being:

svchost.exe (DcomLaunch)

svchost.exe (RpcSs, RpcEptMapper)

where you can terminate DcomLaunch's svchost.exe process after changing its FailureActions setting in registry.

Let me know what happens, I'm almost sure you can get down to 11 processes this way. Thanks.

#171 internethandle

internethandle

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:57 PM

See screenshot - I just confirmed this is possible in flatboot - 11 processes left when you do not count Process Hacker. Obviously this is not usable for me because I also need AudioSrv and AudioEndpointBuilder, but it could be for you.

Attached Files

• rebone likes this

#172 samotc

samotc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 06:54 AM

Thanks Internethandle, I got all 11 processes thanks to your idea, anyway I don't know if it's my machine or my system, but strange things happen, why can't I disable the "NDIS" service? if I don't have network support enabled? if i try, boot=BSOD (??) and stuff like that.

So I'm very busy trying to limit the number of active services as much as possible, but I find it very difficult to go below the 92 I have now, after disabling DComLaunch, thanks to you.

#173 t.arni

t.arni

Beginner

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 09:40 AM

http://jplay.eu/foru...icense-expired/

JPLAY (at least its activation part) seemed to be EXTREMELY sensitive to just about any kinda hardware changes as shown above, even swapping SSDs already resulted in "so much fun" and let's see what's gonna happen if we're booting Windows PE off USB drives / running everything off RAM etc.

Someone else was also having issues with a "missing" drive but nobody seemed to mention anything about Device Manager so far

https://www.tenforum...tml#post2360697

Keep reading the 46th page and further details could be found, one of them should have talked about copying device drivers to that Win10XPPE\Custom\x64\drivers folder but it might not be necessarily a cure for all computers. We could only give that a shot and see how it goes.

At the very least maybe we should confirm that we're having absolutely no issues with any device drivers + any services etc. whatsoever.

Once we're getting all that taken care of, let's just take a look at diskmgmt.msc (i.e. Disk Management) or diskpart.exe in order to find out if there were a specific drive that wasn't assigned a drive letter automatically.

Hi, internethandle and seeteeyou,

thx a lot for your answers. This will save a me lot of time that I can spend now for listening to music  :) instead of try something that won't work for 99%.  Would you say that a basic (winPE and foobar) system would sound better than a fully (software)optimized System based on win Server core and AO, PL ... on the same optimized hardware? (Single PC, XEON, Supermicro, apacer ram, apacer slc ssd, highend SATA cables, linear atx psu, jcat net + usb (with extra 5V from lpsu). I'm asking because by now  I was sure that JPLAY is the very best software solution for digital transport (local files and qobus/tidal via bubbleupnp) Every other player or OS I tried was far away from the natural and organic sound from jplay femto via KS and 1000hz ultrastream. My next step should be to try win Server2019 in RAM -  and then I found your posts and comments to WinPE ...   :unsure:

#174 samotc

samotc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 12:18 PM

I don't have JPlay, but I have spent 2 years with Windows Server Core 2019 RAMDISK, + AO + PL and F2K + BugHead Emperor as players, and I can tell you that WinXPE both 10 and 11 (without tuning) are far superior to Server Core 2019 in RAMDISK, but that is my opinion, which may or may not coincide with yours or that of other people.

I also used HQplayer Desltop 3 and 4, and JRiver Media Center up to version 26 for a long time. On Windows Server Core they were much better than F2K, but not Bughead; The funny thing is that in Win10-11 XPE Audio it is not like that, I don't know why, F2K is superior to HQPlayer and JRMC, but not to BugHead.

The only advice I can think of to give you, and sorry for the boldness, is to make a WinXPE, 10, 11 the one that is best or easiest for you, and compare it with what you have, it is the only way to know.

Keep in mind that when I started with this topic, I didn't know what the result was going to be, since it was totally unpublished, but if I wanted to find out, I had to make one myself, and dedicate many hours to it. Now, with the published guide, and the companions of this forum, I believe that together we will be able to solve the doubts and problems that arise, greetings.

• Xp18 likes this

#175 samotc

samotc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 12:00 PM

Thank you very much for your hard work and the opportunity to get in touch with win10pe audio. I was fascinated by the ability to edit win10-11 for myself. I have been looking for this information for a long time. I am not in an English-speaking country, I apologize for the mistakes in the letter. With win10PE, the first experience, so you have to collect everything by kerpichek. Faced such a difficulty: 1) When creating a flat boot, you need the main 3-programs: WinNTSetup; Dism ++ (not a working link, maybe in my country; Bootice all of them (contained in Windows PE Strelec); How to make WinPE Strelec work on a created and running win10 pro image. Perhaps WinPE Strelec can be edited too, but I don't know how to do it . WinPE Strelec do you recommend as a source of these programs, how to make it work with edited win10pro? I tried to pull these programs out of the WinPE Strelec image but DISM ++ refused to work correctly. 2) How to return brightness control to a laptop, it is hard to work when it is on maximum? 3) After creating the win10pro image, I lost the Internet (via the cable), and I wanted to return the system simple sounds. Correct if something is wrong.

Answering your question no. 2, I have found a new version of WinXShell that allows you to modify the brightness of the screen, you can download it from here:

Then mount the Flatboot VHD go to Program Files\WinXShell\ and overwrite the whole folder with the contents of the 7z file, don't forget to delete the "old WinXShell.exe", and the "WinXShell_x86.exe" and rename "WinXShell_x64.exe" to WinXShell.exe".

Now in "Settings>>>Display "there will be a control bar for the brightness of the screen.

Attached Files

• rebone likes this

#176 t.arni

t.arni

Beginner

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 04:50 PM

I don't have JPlay, but I have spent 2 years with Windows Server Core 2019 RAMDISK, + AO + PL and F2K + BugHead Emperor as players, and I can tell you that WinXPE both 10 and 11 (without tuning) are far superior to Server Core 2019 in RAMDISK, but that is my opinion, which may or may not coincide with yours or that of other people.

I also used HQplayer Desltop 3 and 4, and JRiver Media Center up to version 26 for a long time. On Windows Server Core they were much better than F2K, but not Bughead; The funny thing is that in Win10-11 XPE Audio it is not like that, I don't know why, F2K is superior to HQPlayer and JRMC, but not to BugHead.

The only advice I can think of to give you, and sorry for the boldness, is to make a WinXPE, 10, 11 the one that is best or easiest for you, and compare it with what you have, it is the only way to know.

Keep in mind that when I started with this topic, I didn't know what the result was going to be, since it was totally unpublished, but if I wanted to find out, I had to make one myself, and dedicate many hours to it. Now, with the published guide, and the companions of this forum, I believe that together we will be able to solve the doubts and problems that arise, greetings.

Hello samotec, 

your are absolut right! The only way to know how it will sound at the end of the day is to try it out! Maybe you missunderstood me. Sorry, english is not a big talent from me ;-)
I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that I doubted what you're saying. I am very thankful that there are people who put in so much work and write instructions for others. I was just surprised because until now I thought JPLAY is the best way for analog-like playback. In the meantime I know that JPLAY also works in RAM, other users have already tested that. ( http://jplay.eu/foru...guration-guide/ )

I never liked Windows Server that much, although it sounds really good, but the license is expensive (if you don't want to reinstall every 180 days) and the problems with drivers in core mode (kernel streaming) were always there. And I always had the impression that the SQ got worse and worse after a few weeks. (maybe updates or increasing  registry ?)

I'm looking forward to the experiment with WinPE and hope for help from the community if there are problems (and they will definitely come ;-)

Thank you again for the guidance and the help you are offering to the people here!

Thomas 

• VonBrechts likes this

#177 seeteeyou

seeteeyou

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 01:32 AM

FYI - really dunno if this stuff called ViVeTool (Vibranium Velocity) were actually useful for enabling / disabling "undocumented" features

https://github.com/t...d/ViVe/releases

https://twitter.com/...130184841932800

Previous Tweets

https://twitter.com/...776175513784322

https://twitter.com/...200880484159488

Someone else actually shared whole bunch of lists as follows, most likely we'll simply focus on 22000.1.txt

https://github.com/r...master/features

Basically 5 categories could be found

• Unknown
  • Always Enabled
  • Enabled By Default
  • Disabled By Default
  • Always Disabled

Maybe it's more relevant for a "normal" version of Windows 11, though we could still play with ViVeTool and find out if that were any good for Windows PE?

https://forums.mydig...-it-work.83899/

And then we've got something else called WNF as well

https://blog.quarksl...cility-wnf.html

https://github.com/ionescu007/wnfun

Even more fun with the Software Licensing Client DLL

https://forums.mydig...-enabler.27491/

https://betawiki.net...RedPill_Enabler

#178 Bobo

Bobo

Beginner

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 10:37 AM

i can`t seem to get the flatboot installation to work.

could someone make a proper video tutorial on how to do a flatboot install on a usb drive ?

#179 samotc

samotc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 06:50 PM

The WinXPE iso, made with the Win10XPE program, boots correctly?

Could you describe in detail how you do the flatboot installation?

Could you describe what error messages appear when you start flatboot?

The more explanations from, the easier it will be to see the source of the problem and be able to help you.

#180 internethandle

internethandle

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 09:59 PM

Yes, as samotc said, the first step would be building a project and creating an ISO in Win10XPE, placing that ISO on USB media with Rufus, and ensuring that works.

If it does, flatboot is fairy simple. samotc's guide is fairly clear with the steps, but I'll go over them roughly again:

1) mount the Win10XPE-created ISO in a host OS (double click on the ISO in Explorer).
2) Open WinNTSetup and create a VHD. Give it a fixed size of 3000 MB or so, name it and tell WinNTSetup into what directory you would like the .VHD file to go. WinNTSetup will then create and mount the VHD on its own.
3) Open DISM++ and select "Apply Image." Find the boot.wim in the mounted Win10XPE-created ISO, select the mounted VHD root folder (usually "Z:\") as the location to apply the boot.wim image. Make sure "Compact" is selected.
4) Manually copy the "boot" and "efi" folders from the mounted Win10xPE-created ISO as well as the files in the root directory of the mounted Win10XPE ISO (bootmgr.exe etc.) into the root directory of the VHD ("Z:\).
5) In BootIce, go to "Other BCD file" in the BCD tab, select the "bcd" file in "z:\boot\bcd" for the VHD's boot file, change the top option from "VHD(X)" to "Partition". Afterwards, go to "BCD of current system" in Bootice, click "Add" and create a "Boot from VHD" entry. I recommend keeping the VHD file in the root directory of your host OS, and simply typing "\(name of vhd file).vhd" in the "File" field for simplicity's sake.
6) Reboot, and a boot menu should come up with "Boot from VHD" listed -- select it, and it should then boot into the flatboot in a virtually identical manner to how it did with USB boot into Ramdisk after creating the ISO in Win10XPE and placing onto USB media with Rufus, except that you will not see a "Loading files" screen.
  • rebone and Carlo like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

nik.d