• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 timd

timd

Beginner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:21 PM

Apologies in advance. Had to reinstall ao3 after some issues. Now I can't install ks in core mode. It's been so long since I have needed to do this I am struggling. Looked up previous posts and I'm still lost.
I have original media installation os but no joy. It's definitely me doing something wrong here.

I need the simplest instructions on this as possible. Help please.

Many thanks Tim
  • Marlinvef and Danielneatt like this

#2 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Moderators
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:47 PM

Hi Tim,

When I was using WS2012 R2, I first completed all optimizations in GUI mode and then converted to Core Mode via the Service Tool. So if you're using WS2012 R2 with AO 3.0 and the system is in Core Mode, you could switch it back to GUI mode via the Service Tool, reset drivers and services with the Service Tool, then re-optimize with AO 3.0 and choose the "Install Kernel Streaming and Media Support" option. That should work in GUI Mode. When the optimization process has completed and the PC has rebooted, you could then use the Service Tool to switch back to Core Mode. You should then have Kernel Streaming support.

Cheers,

Bernie

Control Point: Huawei Mate 20 with 128Gb storage and 6Gb RAM running Bubble UPnP 3.4.18, or Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptop (Windows Server 2019 - Standard Edtion Desktop) with Intel Core i7-3612QM (2.1 GHz), 1Tb 5400 rpm SATA HDD and 16Gb Kingston DDR3 1600 MHz RAM running Upplay 1.4.9 or Audionet-RCP 3.5.0
Control and Audio-PCs: Asus Mini PC PN60 with Intel Core i5 8250U (1.6 GHz), 250Gb Kingston A2000 NVMe SSD (Control-PC) or 480Gb Kingston A1000 NVMe SSD (Audio-PC) and 8Gb DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (both PCs). Both PCs run Windows Server 2019 (Standard Edtion Desktop) in highly optimised GUI mode with command prompt shell for initial setup after which both PCs run headless (no monitor, keyboard or mouse)
Optimization: Fidelizer Pro 8.6, Process Lasso Server Edition 9.8.7.18, MinorityClean 98, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, and a modified Computer Audio Design Desktop Services Killer script that terminates other Windows Services and Background Processes. All optimization steps described in my Guide for Optimizing WS2019 in a Dual or Single PC JPLAY Femto-Based System (updated 12 Feb 2021): (https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing)

Renderer: JPLAY FEMTO 7.0D UPnP Renderer (Alternative version), Server: JPLAY 7.0D femtoServer, File Manager: Q-Dir 9.2.1.0, Library Manager: JRiver MC 27.0.15
JPLAY Settings: Playing via: KS; Engine: ULTRAstream; Bitstream: Native; Bitperfect Volume: OFF; DAC Link: 500; XtreamSize: 1000; Throttle: ON; Hibernate Mode: ON
Equipment Configuration: Control Point Phone / Laptop > WiFi > Control-PC > 1m SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC > 3m Chord C-USB Cable > Luxman DA-06 > Chord Chamaleon Plus XLR cables > Luxman L-505uxII  > DIY speaker cables (Tycab PVC doubly insulated 11 AWG OFC wire, TechFlex braid, Neotech Banana/Spade connectors) > Bryston PX-1 external crossovers > DIY speaker cables (as before) > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers
Music Storage: Main Library: ext 10Tb Seagate HDD/Hub+3Tb Seagate HDD (0.5m Avencore Premium USB 3.0 cables connect the HDDs to each other and to the Control-PC); Backup: 2 ext 6Tb Seagate HDDs (x2)

#3 timd

timd

Beginner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:02 PM

Hi Tim,

When I was using WS2012 R2, I first completed all optimizations in GUI mode and then converted to Core Mode via the Service Tool. So if you're using WS2012 R2 with AO 3.0 and the system is in Core Mode, you could switch it back to GUI mode via the Service Tool, reset drivers and services with the Service Tool, then re-optimize with AO 3.0 and choose the "Install Kernel Streaming and Media Support" option. That should work in GUI Mode. When the optimization process has completed and the PC has rebooted, you could then use the Service Tool to switch back to Core Mode. You should then have Kernel Streaming support.

Cheers,

Bernie

Hi Bernie, that's what I've done but when using st to switch to core mode then re optimising it gets to install ks and that's where the message to do with source comes up and I can't remember how to go about using original OS media to get ks installed.

Thanks Tim

#4 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Moderators
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:28 AM

Hi Bernie, that's what I've done but when using st to switch to core mode then re optimising it gets to install ks and that's where the message to do with source comes up and I can't remember how to go about using original OS media to get ks installed.

Thanks Tim

Hi Tim,

What you've written indicates that you're optimising AFTER switching to Core mode ("...when using st to switch to core mode then re optimising..."). If so, try re-optimimizing and choosing the "Install Kernel Streaming and Media Support" option BEFORE switching to core mode, ie in GUI MODE.

If that does not work then the only other suggestion I have is to follow this advice from the AO manual:

Windows Server Core: If you are installing or updating AO 3.00 on a Windows Server installation in core mode you will have to insert the Windows installation media during setup. It is absolutely crucial that you use exactly the same installation media as you used to install the windows server operating system itself. It does not matter if you insert a physical DVD-ROM, a bootable USB stick or mount the ISO via PowerShell, but it must be the identical media you used to install the operating system.

Hope this helps,

Bernie

Control Point: Huawei Mate 20 with 128Gb storage and 6Gb RAM running Bubble UPnP 3.4.18, or Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptop (Windows Server 2019 - Standard Edtion Desktop) with Intel Core i7-3612QM (2.1 GHz), 1Tb 5400 rpm SATA HDD and 16Gb Kingston DDR3 1600 MHz RAM running Upplay 1.4.9 or Audionet-RCP 3.5.0
Control and Audio-PCs: Asus Mini PC PN60 with Intel Core i5 8250U (1.6 GHz), 250Gb Kingston A2000 NVMe SSD (Control-PC) or 480Gb Kingston A1000 NVMe SSD (Audio-PC) and 8Gb DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (both PCs). Both PCs run Windows Server 2019 (Standard Edtion Desktop) in highly optimised GUI mode with command prompt shell for initial setup after which both PCs run headless (no monitor, keyboard or mouse)
Optimization: Fidelizer Pro 8.6, Process Lasso Server Edition 9.8.7.18, MinorityClean 98, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, and a modified Computer Audio Design Desktop Services Killer script that terminates other Windows Services and Background Processes. All optimization steps described in my Guide for Optimizing WS2019 in a Dual or Single PC JPLAY Femto-Based System (updated 12 Feb 2021): (https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing)

Renderer: JPLAY FEMTO 7.0D UPnP Renderer (Alternative version), Server: JPLAY 7.0D femtoServer, File Manager: Q-Dir 9.2.1.0, Library Manager: JRiver MC 27.0.15
JPLAY Settings: Playing via: KS; Engine: ULTRAstream; Bitstream: Native; Bitperfect Volume: OFF; DAC Link: 500; XtreamSize: 1000; Throttle: ON; Hibernate Mode: ON
Equipment Configuration: Control Point Phone / Laptop > WiFi > Control-PC > 1m SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC > 3m Chord C-USB Cable > Luxman DA-06 > Chord Chamaleon Plus XLR cables > Luxman L-505uxII  > DIY speaker cables (Tycab PVC doubly insulated 11 AWG OFC wire, TechFlex braid, Neotech Banana/Spade connectors) > Bryston PX-1 external crossovers > DIY speaker cables (as before) > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers
Music Storage: Main Library: ext 10Tb Seagate HDD/Hub+3Tb Seagate HDD (0.5m Avencore Premium USB 3.0 cables connect the HDDs to each other and to the Control-PC); Backup: 2 ext 6Tb Seagate HDDs (x2)

#5 timd

timd

Beginner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:14 AM

Hi Tim,

What you've written indicates that you're optimising AFTER switching to Core mode ("...when using st to switch to core mode then re optimising..."). If so, try re-optimimizing and choosing the "Install Kernel Streaming and Media Support" option BEFORE switching to core mode, ie in GUI MODE.

If that does not work then the only other suggestion I have is to follow this advice from the AO manual:

Windows Server Core: If you are installing or updating AO 3.00 on a Windows Server installation in core mode you will have to insert the Windows installation media during setup. It is absolutely crucial that you use exactly the same installation media as you used to install the windows server operating system itself. It does not matter if you insert a physical DVD-ROM, a bootable USB stick or mount the ISO via PowerShell, but it must be the identical media you used to install the operating system.

Source Media Info: https://www.highend-...to/source-media

Hope this helps,

Bernie

Thanks Bernie, will try again. I struggled to understand the details in this link previously on "how to source media" as it did not make sense to me. I know it's me that's the problem and my lack of understanding but will go again to see if it works.

Fingers crossed. Thanks Tim

#6 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Moderators
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:58 AM

Tim, have you tried optimizing in GUI Mode (selecting Kernel streaming and media support while doing that) and then switching to Core Mode? I never needed to insert the original installation media when doing it that way, but I was using an earlier version of the Audiophile Optimizer. If you still have difficulties, I suggest you contact Audiophil or Claudia via email at support@highend-audiopc.com and describe your problem. I have found them to be very helpful and they may have a solution for you.

#7 timd

timd

Beginner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:26 PM

Tim, have you tried optimizing in GUI Mode (selecting Kernel streaming and media support while doing that) and then switching to Core Mode? I never needed to insert the original installation media when doing it that way, but I was using an earlier version of the Audiophile Optimizer. If you still have difficulties, I suggest you contact Audiophil or Claudia via email at support@highend-audiopc.com and describe your problem. I have found them to be very helpful and they may have a solution for you.

Hi Bernie, finally nailed it. Had to run ao setup.exe again. I had os media installation USB plugged in as before but this time during installation ao picked it up and did the necessary to get ks installed. Sometimes this hobby can be frustrating but the rewards are always fruitful.

Many thanks to you for your guidance and help. As I tend not to mess with my setup too much when running well, I sometimes get lost when things do go wrong. Thanks again, Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users