18 replies to this topic

#1 AlwaysHiFi

AlwaysHiFi

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 05:09 PM

Hi,

Anyone else had or have noise from mother board?  I have windows pc, with no fans.  With a quiet room I can hear slight whining sound from PC, annoyingly just audible from my listen chair.

I have tried to listen where the noise is coming from, cpu, ram, drive or motherboard its self. But it is hard to pin it down.  Just wondering if others have had the same. 

Mother board is gigabyte w246m-wu4

cpu Xeon E2224g

Ram Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Thanks

• CharlesSoate and WilliamNog like this

#2 sj46

sj46

Beginner

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 05:56 PM

Might be the PSU or GPU (if you have a dedicated graphics card), it's most likely coil whine. I have it on my Seasonic PSU, it was worse when a VGA cable connected than HDMI. It's modular, I fix it by moving the EPS cable for the CPU to another port on the PSU.

#3 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 February 2021 - 08:18 PM

Agreed. Most likely PSU transformers.
WS2019 DC v1757, PPA audioPC/controlPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, Fidelizer Pro 8.7, JPLAY Femto, MC121-AVX2 SOAP, BubbleUPnP 3.4.18

#4 AlwaysHiFi

AlwaysHiFi

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. 

I have no extra GPU board.  GPU is built into CPU on E2224g, the g = gpu .  My PSU is Plex dc/dc in the pc, with a 300va linear PSU in another enclosure.  I did wonder if the noise was coming from the Plex dc/dc. But it didn't sound to be coming from there. I will investigate that a little more. 

#5 amolan

amolan

Beginner

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:23 PM

Hi, 

I had the same issue with gigabyte z390 ud and the culpid was the coil whine, is there some tweaks in BIOS that can help but sometimes the noise still there.

#6 sj46

sj46

Beginner

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 09:46 PM

Try rolling a sheet of paper into a cone and holding it up to your ear. Then use it to identify exactly where the noise is coming from, move it around the motherboard.

#7 Dev

Dev

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 10 February 2021 - 01:21 AM

if you are hearing coil whine, its probably coming from the inductors. My earlier Supermicro motherboard had this issue.

#8 vlaag

vlaag

Beginner

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:34 AM

For me then noise came from around the cpu, the bios tweaks eliminated the noise. But using a cone it is still difficult to pinpoint. I used a small microphone to record and see sound levels

#9 zaurux

zaurux

Beginner

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:33 AM

I have the same concern... or question because I can only hear it above the motherboard.
The PSU is external HDP 400-ATX and therefore everything is fanless without power supply noise.
But there is high frequency noise. (Gigabyte Z370N)

@vlaag: what bios tweaks? 
My PC works very well but noise is never proof that everything is fine.

#10 Jogar

Jogar

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:35 PM

Just wondering if you've tried grounding the motherboard to see if it reduces noise. Regards.

#11 zaurux

zaurux

Beginner

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:02 PM

An explication ?

https://www.asus.com...rt/FAQ/1035838/

• Rob and AlwaysHiFi like this

#12 Jogar

Jogar

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:50 PM

Intriguing. Could it be the motherboard VRMs?

#13 Dev

Dev

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:29 PM

Intriguing. Could it be the motherboard VRMs?

the whining noise typically comes from the inductors around the vrms. I have a 4th Gen Intel that is dead quiet even with smps but the today's motherboard are more noisy even if powered by an excellent linear power supply. I have two motherboard from two different company that had this noise. I also have an Optane drive that typically makes these whining noise when accessed heavily. Try tweaking the Bios and see if they are lowered or will go away.

• Jogar likes this

#14 Dev

Dev

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:31 PM

Just wondering if you've tried grounding the motherboard to see if it reduces noise. Regards.

I don't think grounding will solve this issue.

• Jogar likes this

#15 AlwaysHiFi

AlwaysHiFi

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:43 PM

Thanks peoples for replies and input.  I can confirm my PC case and MOB are earth via my PSU supply cable.  I am electrical engineer, metal parts get an earth.  

• Jogar likes this

#16 AlwaysHiFi

AlwaysHiFi

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:47 PM

That is interesting.  As the noise is there at idle. But when I move mouse or click on "stuff" or the pc is doing stuff the noise reduces. 

#17 Jogar

Jogar

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:42 AM

"Thanks peoples for replies and input.  I can confirm my PC case and MOB are earth via my PSU supply cable.  I am electrical engineer, metal parts get an earth." 

Hi AlwaysHiFi,

Actually the motherboard cannot be grounded from the mains to PSU (AC side) nor the PSU to motherboard (DC side) supply cables.  This is commonly misconceived. Although grounding your motherboard apparently doesn't help to reduce the noise/whine described above, it's definitely worth doing (e.g. via USB or JCAT ground conditioner cable) to obtain an improvement in SQ. Kind regards.

• Marcin_gps likes this

#18 AlwaysHiFi

AlwaysHiFi

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:53 PM

"Thanks peoples for replies and input.  I can confirm my PC case and MOB are earth via my PSU supply cable.  I am electrical engineer, metal parts get an earth." 

Hi AlwaysHiFi,
Actually the motherboard cannot be grounded from the mains to PSU (AC side) nor the PSU to motherboard (DC side) supply cables.  This is commonly misconceived. Although grounding your motherboard apparently doesn't help to reduce the noise/whine described above, it's definitely worth doing (e.g. via USB or JCAT ground conditioner cable) to obtain an improvement in SQ. Kind regards.

Attached Files

#19 Rob

Rob

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationStamford, England.

Posted Yesterday, 09:26 PM

Hello it’s starting to look you have an earth loop, try disconnecting the  chassis earth from the power supply, is the noise coming from the motherboard or out of your speakers 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users