11 replies to this topic

#1 gryffe

gryffe

Beginner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:18 PM

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on running Jplay with Roon server? Good, bad or indifferent?

I have a Roon server(not Nucleus) and it’s normally connected to my amp with USB cable.

At the moment I am doing a trial with Jplay, so the configuration I am using on Roon is different from normal use case, in that I have Roon ROCK as my core, with JPLAY Driver (asio) selected for Audio on my PC, and the USB cable runs from my PC to my amp.

Is this the correct config to utilise Jplay with Roon or should I be setting up some other way?

It sounds pretty good, although it’s not night and day difference from my normal ordinary Roon setup.

Guess what I’m asking is if anybody who has experience of Jplay and Roon thinks it’s worth the outlay after trial has finished?

Also, if I was to purchase after the trial would it be more sensible just to buy JPLAY Classic rather than JPLAY Femto for use with Roon?

It's all a bit above my head the difference between Classic and Femto , and I'm not sure if I have understood properly, but Roon is not UPNP so all I basically need is the the JPLAY driver? 

Thanks in advance.

#2 gryffe

gryffe

Beginner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 10:17 AM

Hi @josef, @marcin, @swiph3l - can you help me here at all?

#3 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:47 PM

With Roon you're using only JPLAY Classic part. (JPLAY Driver)

Best regards,

Marcin Ostapowicz
JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#4 gryffe

gryffe

Beginner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:26 PM

Hi @Marcin, thanks for your reply.

I have one other question if you don't mind?

I'm probably wrong here, but I'm guessing the Jplay driver is normally located on the same computer on which the Roon Core is located, and this same computer is also used to connect to the DAC using USB cable?  However that is not the case with my set up. My Roon Core is located on my Roon server, and Jplay driver is on my PC, so my question would be does it make any difference to performance/sound quality that Jplay and Roon are on different computers, or is this a perfectly normal workable configuration?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but PC audio is a bit of a black art for me as to how it all hangs together  :)

Thanks

#5 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:59 PM

In that case JPLAY should be installed on a PC connected to USB DAC. (Roon Bridge) 

#6 gryffe

gryffe

Beginner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:50 PM

In that case JPLAY should be installed on a PC connected to USB DAC. (Roon Bridge) 

Thanks

#7 gryffe

gryffe

Beginner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:38 PM

Should I set the DAC (Lyngdorf amp) to KS or Asio in the settings panel?

#8 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 07:21 PM

It's up to you - we recommend KS

#9 gryffe

gryffe

Beginner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:43 AM

Hi @Marcin, please forgive me but I am going to need some more clarification, and I am not really getting the information I require over on the Roon forum.

The fault probably lies with me not explaining myself properly regards my setup. In case there is any misunderstanding I am not using two Windows PC here, although I do have two separate machines. I will explain my configuration below.

1) I purchased this machine  -  https://tinyurl.com/y3n8yymu-   (which does not run Windows and is effectively a Roon Nucleus), and on Roon it is called "Roon Optimized Core Kit" and is used as my Roon Core.

2) I also have a Windows PC, and that is where I have loaded Jplay because I cannot load it on the machine that runs my Roon Core. On this Windows PC I run a USB audio cable to my Lyngdorf amp to play the music - I do not have an external DAC.  

3) On my Roon control app (laptop or phone)I then select Roon Optimized Core Kit as my Core, and then go to "Settings", and then "Audio", and from there I can see the output devices available to Roon on my Windows PC (but only if Roon is running on the Windows PC - is this effectively what would be termed as Roon Bridge without me actually starting up the dedicated Roon Bridge program?). This allows me to select the Jplay Driver (rather than the Lyngdorf amp which I would normally select if not using Jplay) as Audio output,  and then I can play music.

So my question would be, is step 3 all that I have to do to get Jplay to work at it's maximum, or do I have to actually download Roon Bridge software from the Roon site and then run the dedicated Roon Bridge program on the Windows PC to achieve the maximum effect of Jplay, or is running Roon Bridge doing exactly the same function as step 3, in which case it is a case of doing one or the other and the same results will be achieved?

#10 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:21 PM

OK, thank you for providing more details. 

Your configuratoin is corect. There is nothing more that can be done between Roon and JPLAY. You can play with JPLAY parameters on your Windows PC. 

Roon Bridge is need only if you're using roon remote to conntrol roon. 

If you're controling roon directly from the Windows PC then you need the full suite. 

Hope this helps

Regards, 

Marcin

#11 gryffe

gryffe

Beginner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:11 PM

OK, thank you for providing more details. 

Your configuratoin is corect. There is nothing more that can be done between Roon and JPLAY. You can play with JPLAY parameters on your Windows PC. 

Roon Bridge is need only if you're using roon remote to conntrol roon. 

If you're controling roon directly from the Windows PC then you need the full suite. 

Hope this helps

Regards, 

Marcin

Thanks for your patience, and detailed response. 

I will use Jplay now for the rest of the trial period, and then make a decision on whether to purchase.

• Marcin_gps likes this

#12 Menace

Menace

Beginner

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:39 AM

You have another option:

It is not officially supported but a lot of people have got it working and it sounds good. No harm trying if you are experimenting with roon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users