12 replies to this topic

#1 JazzDoc

JazzDoc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:37 AM

I can recall that some time ago, it was recommended to use RewriteData with stored flac and wav music files. What is the current thinking on this practice? I am still using external USB drive to store music files rather than SSD. Would be grateful for any knowledge that might be shared. Thanks!

Please stay safe 

• HeadOptip and ElliotQ like this

Acer Windows Server 2019 (x64) Laptop (Intel i5/8GB) (Control PC) / Lenovo Windows Server 2019 (Intel i5/8GB) (Audio PC) / Audiophile Optimizer 3.00 (GUI Mode on both PCs)  / JPlay Femto, JPLAY Femto Streamer /  Process Lasso Server Pro / Fidelizer Pro 8.5 / Singxer SU-1 S/PDIF Converter / Paul Pang Switch, ifi iPower / Uptone Audio USB Regen, ifi iPower / Naim Audio nDAC with DSD Firmware Update / Naim Audio XPS / Linn Sondek LP12, Naim Audio Armageddon, Naim Audio ARO, Linn Troika / Naim Audio CDS2, Naim Audio XPS / Naim Audio NAT02 / Naim Audio NAC52, Naim Audio Supercap, Naim Audio NAP250 / Naim Audio SBLs

#2 Griddy99

Griddy99

Beginner

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA - Upstate New York

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:16 AM

Jazz I still use RewriteData as recommended on Minority Clean.  At the same time I rewrite MC, I rewrite the JPlay directory, as well as the directory for my DAC driver.  As for music files, one time I used RewriteData on the whole 5tb usb drive holding my music files.  Took forever and I'm not sure it was worth it.  Today, I have my music files on two 2tb Samsung M.2 ssd drives mostly flac files and dsf.  I only use rewrite on albums and individual songs that I listen to repeatedly to give a slight boost in quality.  I tend to have obsessive phases in my music listening where I will listen to one group or artist over and over, and I will use rewrite on those music files.  I don't have the patience to use rewrite on all files that I listen too, as this would detract too much to the spontaneity of listening to something that just hits my fancy at the moment.   Also, I have a half dozen music files that I use to test the fidelity of my setup, bass, dynamics, clarity, imaging.  I always hit them with rewrite before I test any changes.  Anyway, I thought I would share my RewriteData strategery.   

Software: JPLAY Femto Dual PC (DacLink 1000Hz, Ultrastream, Hibernate On), JPLAY FemtoServer, Windows Server 2019 Core, Audiophile Optimizer (Control 1-A, Audio 2-D), Fidelizer Pro - (Purist), Process Lasso, Bubble Upnp, Minority Clean.
Contrl: Samsung S6 Tab
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240L v5 @2.10GHz x2 TDP=25 STORE: Samsung 970 Evo Plus m.2 SSD (2 x 2TB) (Control PC)
USB: JCat USB Card XE (Audio PC) MB: Supermicro X11SSH-F x2 MEM: 16GB (4GB x4) Hynix DDR4-2133 UDIMM ECC x2
LAN: JCat Netcard Femto x2, JCat Signature Lan cable CASE: Streacom F10-alpha x2
DAC: Resonessence Mirus Signature Pro OS Drive: Intel Optane 905P m.2 SSD 380gb x2

#3 oryaaaaa

oryaaaaa

Beginner

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:21 AM

Hello. This is oryaaaaa.

The method used in Rewrite data 3.68 is the rewrite access average of the internal circuitry of a memory chip. The recording quality of the SSD is improved in the state of rewrite bits. It is considered to be effective for music files, but it is not need in the Bug head sound engine with digital bit stabilizer process. but, It is explain in the notice that it is require for executables.

Rewrite data 3.68 has been developed to the risk of corrupting music files, Rarely, power supply incidents crushed files. For safety reasons, I have considered offering MinorityClean.

Rewrite data 3.68, my development environment using Plextor PX-G512M6eA.
Marvell 88SS9183
M6eA M.2 uses TOSHIBA A19nm Toggle MLC
1024MB DDR3
M.2 PCIe Gen2 x 2

#4 JazzDoc

JazzDoc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the replies Griddy99 and oryaaaaa. It would appear that Minority Clean is offered as a safer alternative to Rewrite Data

Acer Windows Server 2019 (x64) Laptop (Intel i5/8GB) (Control PC) / Lenovo Windows Server 2019 (Intel i5/8GB) (Audio PC) / Audiophile Optimizer 3.00 (GUI Mode on both PCs)  / JPlay Femto, JPLAY Femto Streamer /  Process Lasso Server Pro / Fidelizer Pro 8.5 / Singxer SU-1 S/PDIF Converter / Paul Pang Switch, ifi iPower / Uptone Audio USB Regen, ifi iPower / Naim Audio nDAC with DSD Firmware Update / Naim Audio XPS / Linn Sondek LP12, Naim Audio Armageddon, Naim Audio ARO, Linn Troika / Naim Audio CDS2, Naim Audio XPS / Naim Audio NAT02 / Naim Audio NAC52, Naim Audio Supercap, Naim Audio NAP250 / Naim Audio SBLs

#5 billgr

billgr

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:27 AM

It seems to me that MC processes the CPU memory registers (perhaps amongst other things) and Rewrite processes the targeted files on pcie ssds to optimise reading, reducing errors and latency. So Rewrite and MC don't operate on the same hardware. Rewrite and dbstabilizer seem to be variations of the same thing.

I'd like to use Rewrite but have all my music on hdd not ssd. 

I'd like to use it on my os, femto and MC executables. But I run all this in ramdisk not on pcie ssd.

But as you know I'm a big fan of MC.

oryaaaaa, please correct me if I got anything wrong.  Also, have you tried optimizing HDD or ram as well? 

• Griddy99 likes this

Win2019, Audiophile Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, JPlayFemto, 2PC, Ramdisk, MinorityClean, BubbleUPnP, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, ATI1806 Amplifiers, Linkwitz LX521 speakers with ASP4, JPS Labs Aluminata cables, PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator.

#6 BernieFFM

BernieFFM

Beginner

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:02 PM

I am using a samsung 860 Pro 2TB SSD (MLC)  for my music files (all at max. 44.1 16 or 24 bit aif files).

After the ripping of an album from CD direct to the drive (all perfectly prepared with dbpoweramp cd grab),

that takes about real-time to rip a cd, but the preperation and warm-up before ripping takes about 3 hrs,

I am then afterwards "perfecting" the rip, again after warm-up with 48 Re-Writes of Rewrite-Data.

I am using for now version 3.19g with High MMX x2. First i make one try of Re-Write in my Ramdisk to

measure the time it takes (on my SSD it is not slower), then i use this plus additional 30 secs in a programm

called GS Autoclicker 3.1.2 to do the un-attended job of clicking Re-Write Data 48x with the correct interwall.

On my 4x 2.00 Ghz Intel Xeon E3 1235L it takes usually between 70-90 minutes for the Re-Writing process of

one Album, again after warm-up. Why do i take all that time to do this? I have found no other solution (yet) to

gain that kind of "perfect" sound.

If i am just downloading an album from the internet, i usually download it first in the Ramdisk and run some infinite

numbers of rewrite first (turn on before i get to sleep), before i re-tagg it, use some more Re-Writing afterwords and

finally convert it and send it the same time to my music drive. After that and 48x Re-Writes later, i am done... ;)

A i crazy, or am i just an perfectionist? Try it youself, before you judge me!

• screenmusic likes this

#7 screenmusic

screenmusic

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

I am using a samsung 860 Pro 2TB SSD (MLC)  for my music files (all at max. 44.1 16 or 24 bit aif files).

After the ripping of an album from CD direct to the drive (all perfectly prepared with dbpoweramp cd grab),

that takes about real-time to rip a cd, but the preperation and warm-up before ripping takes about 3 hrs,

I am then afterwards "perfecting" the rip, again after warm-up with 48 Re-Writes of Rewrite-Data.

I am using for now version 3.19g with High MMX x2. First i make one try of Re-Write in my Ramdisk to

measure the time it takes (on my SSD it is not slower), then i use this plus additional 30 secs in a programm

called GS Autoclicker 3.1.2 to do the un-attended job of clicking Re-Write Data 48x with the correct interwall.

On my 4x 2.00 Ghz Intel Xeon E3 1235L it takes usually between 70-90 minutes for the Re-Writing process of

one Album, again after warm-up. Why do i take all that time to do this? I have found no other solution (yet) to

gain that kind of "perfect" sound.

If i am just downloading an album from the internet, i usually download it first in the Ramdisk and run some infinite

numbers of rewrite first (turn on before i get to sleep), before i re-tagg it, use some more Re-Writing afterwords and

finally convert it and send it the same time to my music drive. After that and 48x Re-Writes later, i am done... ;)

A i crazy, or am i just an perfectionist? Try it youself, before you judge me!

Hi Bernie, do you have a link or the latest version of rewrite data? I can't find it, thanks

#8 JazzDoc

JazzDoc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:08 PM

Hi Bernie, do you have a link or the latest version of rewrite data? I can't find it, thanks

Download the latest bughead software package from here:

https://www.mics.ne....Bughead_x64.zip

Unpack the zip file and you will find a folder for rewrite data 3.78

• screenmusic and BernieFFM like this

#9 BernieFFM

BernieFFM

Beginner

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:34 AM

Sorry, i am too late. Have you tested it yet that latest version? Any feedback?

BTW. I would like to test it too, but that link did not work anymore.

Regards

Bernd

#10 JazzDoc

JazzDoc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 08:57 PM

Sorry, i am too late. Have you tested it yet that latest version? Any feedback?

BTW. I would like to test it too, but that link did not work anymore.

Regards

Bernd

Try this link:

Rewrite Data 3.78 is contained in the archive

#11 BernieFFM

BernieFFM

Beginner

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 05:58 PM

Try this link:

Rewrite Data 3.78 is contained in the archive

Thanks, but link is not working for me.

#12 JazzDoc

JazzDoc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:53 PM

Thanks, but link is not working for me.

How strange! I checked the link and it worked yesterday. Please try this one:

Also check your PM please

• BernieFFM likes this

#13 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Moderators
  • 971 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:22 AM

Try this one http://www.mics.ne.j...Bughead_x64.zip

It just worked for me.

• BernieFFM likes this

Control Point: Huawei Mate 20 with 128Gb storage and 6 Gb RAM running Bubble UPnP 3.4.13, or Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptop (Windows Server 2019 - Standard Edtion Desktop) with Intel Core i7-3612QM (2.1 GHz), 1Tb 5400 rpm SATA HDD and 16Gb Kingston DDR3 1600 MHz RAM running Upplay 1.4.4 or Audionet-RCP 3.5.0
Control and Audio-PCs: Asus Mini PC PN60 with Intel Core i5 8250U (1.6 GHz), 250Gb Kingston A2000 NVMe SSD (Control-PC) or 480Gb Kingston A1000 NVMe SSD (Audio-PC) and 8Gb DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (both PCs). Both PCs run Windows Server 2019 (Standard Edtion Desktop) in highly optimised GUI mode with command prompt shell
Optimization: Fidelizer Pro 8.6, Process Lasso Server Edition 9.8.7.18, MinorityClean 77, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, and a modified CAD Desktop Services Killer script that terminates other Windows Services and Background Processes. All described in my Guide for Optimizing WS2019 in a Dual PC JPLAY Femto-Based System updated 04Nov2020: (https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing)
Renderer: JPLAY FEMTO 7.0D UPnP Renderer (Alternative version), Server: JPLAY 7.0D femtoServer, File Manager: Q-Dir 9.0.3.0, Library Manager: JRiver MC 27.0.15
JPLAY Settings: Playing via: KS; Engine: ULTRAstream; Bitstream: Native; Bitperfect Volume: OFF; DAC Link: 500; XtreamSize: 1000; Throttle: ON; Hibernate Mode: ON
Equipment Configuration: Control Point Phone / Laptop > WiFi > Control-PC > 1m SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC > 3m Chord C-USB Cable > Uptone Audio Regen (Amber) > 0.2m Curious Cable USB Regen Link > Luxman DA-06 > Chord Chamaleon Plus XLR cables > Luxman L-505uxII  > DIY speaker cables (Tycab PVC doubly insulated 11 AWG OFC wire, TechFlex braid, Neotech Banana/Spade connectors) > Bryston PX-1 external crossovers > DIY speaker cables (as before) > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers
Music Storage: Main Library: ext Seagate 10Tb HDD/Hub+3Tb HDD (0.5m Avencore Premium USB 3.0 cables connect the HDDs to each other and to the Control-PC); Backup: 2x ext Seagate 6Tb+6Tb HDDs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users