322 replies to this topic

#181 Anwar Ali

Anwar Ali

Beginner

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPenang, MY

Posted 21 November 2021 - 11:59 AM

I am new owner of JCAT USB XE.  My DAC is Marantz SA-10.  The USB XE does not work when using my favorite USB cable - Curious Evolved.  JPLAY keeps reporting connection problem after initially can play a song or two.

I have to downgrade to the regular Curious USB, only then USB XE can work.

I use AudioQuest DragonFly for break in, directly plugged into the USB XE card.  No issues, can play continuously.  So it is not motherboard, drivers, or Windows 10 21H2 Ent IOT LTSC problem.

The Curious Evolved USB cable works fine with another USB card from a different manufacturer, or when directly connected to motherboard's USB ports.

What other USB cables do not work with JCAT USB XE? 

Thanks,

Anwar

#182 Kuni

Kuni

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:12 AM

Marcin, any plans for black friday up to -70% off :)

Audio PC Core 2016 AO2.0, SOTM, Gustard U16, DAC DIY, Pass Labs XA160, Wilson Audio Sasha v2, Speaker Silver cables DIY, Qyaide.

#183 Tøny

Tøny

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:38 AM

Having had installed the JCAT XE USB, thought I'd share my thoughts on the difference over the stock USB port off an Aorus Z390 I Pro Wifi.

To briefly summarise, the most notable changes would be the sense of pace, the void that allows for perceiving spatial volume, the resolving power, and volume dynamics.

Pace, sense of rhythm, what makes you innately wish to tap your feet to the song - not something I was expecting as an improvement, yet one of the most notable pleasures I had to gain from this card. A singer's intentional pause/hesitancy to a phrase, to progress the story of a piece of music, the clarity of a drummer's timing changes, the change in pace of the song - the XE seems to manage to stretch these transient events out and allow one to enjoy the moment for longer.

Space, a sense of instrument separation, staging/imaging clarity - this is usually the easy thing to discuss and determine. But this might be the first time I've so clearly noticed the volumetric sensation of a high hat - from the clear crisp location of the drummer's stick hitting the metal, to the sense of the air surrounding the high hat itself, AND the wave of sound/vibrations as it travels from the point of impact outwards over the high hat disc. Or the spacing between the guitar strings as they are each strummed.

Yet this sensation doesn't come with the often felt "cut off"/stark isolation between the instruments, one can still perceive the "lack of sound" that identifies the space between the instruments, and that which gives an instrument a sense of volume.

Resolution, clarity of detail, transparency - much improved over stock. Bass depth, rapidity of impact (not hard over controlled, it still maintains the appropriate vibration/reverberations associated with each instrument), minute harmonics in cymbals, the clarity of the reed of a saxophone itself as it vibrates). Definitely found details I've never heard before in scores I've listened to for over a decade - the quietest of slithering of a drumming brush over a cymbal as the song fades out.

The sense of volume contrast was significantly better - at a macro scale with quiet lulls being dead silent (but not empty), but also with micro dynamic transients such as volume based vibrato of a singer/violin. 

Sometimes, when a sonic improvement provides more detail, better control, improved bass impacts, you tend to lose musicality - the sound becomes more clinical, lacking expression. This was a concern as I read the reviews regarding the JCAT XE USB thus far. I think it has avoided that stigma, if anything improved on it in my month after installing the card.

I'm sure many have mentioned that this card removes the "digitised" sound/harshness commonly associated with PC sound sources - definitely my experience as well. Might be the reason I feel significant reduction in fatigue listening to the system after installing the card.

Additionally, I wouldn't say that the card has changed the tonal balance of the sound much at all, merely that it has brought what was there into focus.

Hardware:

Streacom FC5

G5400

Aorus Z390 I Pro Wifi

Corsair 2400 8gb

NJ450-SXL

SX8200 Pro (OS drive)

970EVO (Music drive)

Linkup PCIE Gen 4 Riser

JCAT USB XE

+ Lots and lots of software tweaking :blink:

+ DACport LX

Notably needing to be mentioned - it was most unfortunate that the first card I received was damaged in shipping (and I'm most torn to see anything this refined being harmed), much to Marcin's acclaim he sent a replacement based only on a few photos!

Needless to say but definitely owed - thank you for conceiving and creating this piece of musical art Marcin. 

And yes - usual disclaimer for the doubtful.

1. I'm definitely too poor to chase audiophile "snake oil", the rest of my gear can be testament to that.
  2. This is an independent review, not sponsored, bought under my own motive and expense etc etc. :rolleyes:

• Marcin_gps, Adrian, mkmind and 1 other like this

#184 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 03:19 PM

Thank you for the review, Tøny

Very well put. 

I am happy that you enjoy the upgrade. 

Because so many users enjoy them, the USB Card XE is sold out - again. But I am expecting new batch coming before Christmas.  

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#185 tubewin

tubewin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 03:12 PM

Hey Marcin. I had posted this question in audiophilestyle, but the post is still being looked at because of how new my account is. I had recently purchased and received the jcat usb xe card. Sound impressions are very positive. Everything sounds more natural and there is much less digital glare, but at random times the sound goes haywire. There is this digital screeching sound that comes out of nowhere and subsides, but still leaves everything sounding distorted after the screeching ends. Best description I can give is it sounds like Neo in the Matrix, when he is being traced, there is this harsh digital screeching sound. I have the card connected to a uptone audio lps 1.2. Is it because the power supply doesn't have sufficient amperage for dynamic swings? Is it because the card needs break in? Or do you think there is an issue with the card? I really hope it's not the card, because I really like the upgrade...

#186 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 04:00 PM

Hello, 

Thank you for the report. It seems the LPS 1.2 does not provide enough current hence the issues. Please check with a more powerful PSU, 5V/2A. 

Best regards, 

Marcin

#187 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 04:25 PM

I have 2 updates:

1) Apparently some of the latest motherboards with new intel chipsets are unable to detect the USB Card XE. We verified the issue and confirmed that the new firmware for the card solves the issue on new chipsets. 

Here is the guide how to upgrade the firmware: https://www.inateck....operation-steps

This is only for users who experience this issue. 

2) The USB Cards XE are back in stock in large quantity. 

Happy New Year!

Marcin

#188 larryman

larryman

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 12:36 PM

I have 2 updates:

1) Apparently somHello Marcin,

I have of the latest motherboards with new intel chipsets are unable to detect the USB Card XE. We verified the issue and confirmed that the new firmware for the card solves the issue on new chipsets. 

Here is the guide how to upgrade the firmware: https://www.inateck....operation-steps

This is only for users who experience this issue. 

2) The USB Cards XE are back in stock in large quantity. 

Happy New Year!

Marcin

Hi Marcin,

I have tried many times to step 3 using the instructions from Inateck blog you provided. But the firmware tool doesn't seem to load the .bin file properly. So the "start" button wouldn't light up for me to proceed.

Can you please advise which steps i could possibly done wrong ? I replaced my PC to Intel Z690 chipset and running Windows 11. The Windows just doesn't recognize the USB XE card.

Please kindly help.

Larry

#189 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:13 PM

Hi Larry, 

I will send you a newer tool via email. It should work

Best regards, 

Marcin

#190 larryman

larryman

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 02:59 PM

Ok i will wait for your email with the newer tool.. 

Thanks Marcin.

#191 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 10:00 AM

Nice feedback from a user:

https://www.whatsbes...486/post-782023

If I was to give a score to all of those card combinations (just to give you an idea of the magnitude of differencies), it would look like this:

MotherBoard USB port - 1
Jcat Femto USB (no PSU) - 2
Jcat Femto USB (powered by Jcat battery / Teddy Pardo PSU) - 6
Jcat Femto USB (powered by Jcat Optimo Nano inline voltage regulator) - 7
Jcat XE USB (no PSU) - 9
Jcat XE USB (powered by Jcat Optimo Nano inline voltage regulator) - 10

#192 Ove

Ove

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 03:25 PM

Hi
After upgrading to new a MB with z590 chipset and Windows 11 system.
Im having problems connecting usb XE card.
And have yellow signs in device manager.

I have newest bios update, and also chipset drivers.

I understand there is a firmware update tool available for the XE card.
Can I have a link to this please?

Regards Ove.

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Samsung Evo 970 Plus m2.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w200, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. Windows 11, JPlay Femto. JPlay app beta. 

MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. And MPAudio SLS-hpuln Powering the Netcard femto.

Audiowise SRC-DX usb to DX Bridge. Chord Qutest DAC. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Qutest DAC.

2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator dropdown.

#193 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 06:20 PM

Hi Ove, 

Yes! 

The updated firmware as well as the guide how to do it are here: https://www.inateck....operation-steps

Regards, 

Marcin

#194 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts
  • LocationSillycon Valley

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:16 AM

Hi Marcin,

Would you recommend the firmware update even to those who don't have the compatibility issue?

WS2019 core, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY/JCAT XE/iOS, ES/TC, Xeon CPU, Industrial ECC RAM, Gustard X26, Singxer SU6, Linkwitz Pluto 2.1+

#195 Haegil KIM

Haegil KIM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 10:40 AM

Hello

I'm experiencing the same problem as Larry Man.

Can you send me the latest version of MP tool?

#196 Ben Webster

Ben Webster

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M., Germany

Posted 09 March 2022 - 11:37 AM

Follow the link above
  • Marcin_gps likes this

System doesn’t matter - if you have mine.

#197 Ove

Ove

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 08:02 PM

Hi and thanks for the link Marcin.

I have downloaded the update tool and bin file.
But get an : “unsupported command” error when trying to open the the unzipped file.
Suppose I’m doing something wrong, but have somebody here tried it out?

Ove

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Samsung Evo 970 Plus m2.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w200, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. Windows 11, JPlay Femto. JPlay app beta. 

MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. And MPAudio SLS-hpuln Powering the Netcard femto.

Audiowise SRC-DX usb to DX Bridge. Chord Qutest DAC. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Qutest DAC.

2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator dropdown.

#198 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts
  • LocationSillycon Valley

Posted 10 March 2022 - 10:48 PM

Yes I did fine.  Here's the link that you can try https://drive.google...fGC?usp=sharing

Good luck!

WS2019 core, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY/JCAT XE/iOS, ES/TC, Xeon CPU, Industrial ECC RAM, Gustard X26, Singxer SU6, Linkwitz Pluto 2.1+

#199 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 09:45 AM

Hi Marcin,

Would you recommend the firmware update even to those who don't have the compatibility issue?

No, there is no benefit. 

Regards, 

Marcin

• Thuan likes this

#200 Ove

Ove

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 05:50 PM

Finally managed to update XE card by installing it in an older mb. And using the update tool from the link.

Now it runs nicely in my new build with z590 chipset😀
  • Thuan likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users