6266 replies to this topic

#4061 jgwtriode

jgwtriode

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:15 AM

I have been reluctant to change up MC 299/ LE 61 because they are so damn musical and tonally organically right.  ES 38 and 39 did a few things I like but not enought even in combination with 299/61,   So when I read a few comments here and saw ES 40 was out. 

Decided to compare.  Very very close and definitely a bit more detail and intelligebilty with a bit more forward staging, but more depth and more open spacing!  Perhaps a bit better layering and focus and oh so close musically with a hair less euphony. 

You could definetly tell this was a more musical neutral than previous efforts with ES. 

The 299/61 is still a hint more romantic and overall still prefer ever so slightyly despite. 

So combine all three and there we go.  A wonderful blending of all the strengths.  Just a smidge less rich in the mids, but probably more correct. But a touch smother in the highs with all the air and sweetness of 299/61.   

Songs are more intelligible, have a hint more PRAT and the staging is better.

Bass about the same, don't notice any thing particularly better or worse, and yes the mids are ever so slightly less rich, but also slightly less forward in the mix so vocals and instruments all sound just a hint more even. 

I think this is the new refrence but I will go back in a couple of days to MC299/LE61 just to be sure.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

• Igor375375 likes this

#4062 billgr

billgr

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 December 2022 - 01:21 AM

I suggest you try ES40 on "Below Normal" or "Normal" priority for more oomph.

The default is "Low" (unless you used HB's script to force it to "Realtime").

• Thuan and andids like this

Win2019, Audiophile Optimizer, JPlayFemto (2PC), Ramboot, ExerciseStabilizer, BubbleUPnP, Matrix X-SPDIF3, PS Audio DirectStream DAC++, ATI1806 Amplifiers, Linkwitz LX521MG speakers with ASP4, JPS Labs Aluminata cables, PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator.

#4063 maxst67

maxst67

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 05:31 AM

I suggest you try ES40 on "Below Normal" or "Normal" priority for more oomph.

The default is "Low" (unless you used HB's script to force it to "Realtime").

Sorry for the naive question, but where should the priority you refer to be set?

• Igor375375 likes this

#4064 Igor375375

Igor375375

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationRussian

Posted 08 December 2022 - 06:16 AM

Sorry for the naive question, but where should the priority you refer to be set?

If you do not have additional applications such as "Process Lasso" installed, you can set "Priority" in "Task Manager" in the "Details" tab by right-clicking on the desired application there.

• maxst67 likes this
PCDell 7700-9235 ( Win11, Audirvana Studio, MinorityClean 299/61Process Lasso license ); DAC- Audio GD R-28 2022+DI20HE+LHY OCK-1; headphones- Audeze LCD-XC carbon; Power amplifier- Audio-GD A1; Three-way floorstanding speakers - Arslab AC3;
acoustic cabling- Analysis Plus Oval 8;

#4065 maxst67

maxst67

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 10:33 AM

If you do not have additional applications such as "Process Lasso" installed, you can set "Priority" in "Task Manager" in the "Details" tab by right-clicking on the desired application there.

Thanks for the reply, I have process lasso : are you referring to cpu priority?

#4066 micika

micika

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 10:41 AM

This is how configure my lasso.

CPU Priority – High.       Real Time is not good.

I/O Priority – High.           Critical is not good.

Application Power profile – High performance.

• maxst67 likes this

#4067 Igor375375

Igor375375

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationRussian

Posted 08 December 2022 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the reply, I have process lasso : are you referring to cpu priority?

CPU priority

• maxst67 likes this
PCDell 7700-9235 ( Win11, Audirvana Studio, MinorityClean 299/61Process Lasso license ); DAC- Audio GD R-28 2022+DI20HE+LHY OCK-1; headphones- Audeze LCD-XC carbon; Power amplifier- Audio-GD A1; Three-way floorstanding speakers - Arslab AC3;
acoustic cabling- Analysis Plus Oval 8;

#4068 dugi

dugi

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 04:09 AM

https://www.mics.ne....022_1209_13.zip

new update

#4069 billgr

billgr

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 December 2022 - 04:17 AM

ExerciseStabilizer 41 [Windows] 39 [Linux] is here now RWESART_2022_1209_13.zip

Thanks Orya!

• y4r1k likes this

Win2019, Audiophile Optimizer, JPlayFemto (2PC), Ramboot, ExerciseStabilizer, BubbleUPnP, Matrix X-SPDIF3, PS Audio DirectStream DAC++, ATI1806 Amplifiers, Linkwitz LX521MG speakers with ASP4, JPS Labs Aluminata cables, PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator.

#4070 darkblood1984

darkblood1984

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 04:23 AM

es41 More quiet and resolution    

The speed increases and the singer feels more active

now I use N+N(tc2.0+ each hard disk) enhanced resolution

Michael Brook's music is recommended for a sound check

• Demeisen and andids like this

PC hifi(win server 2022 Intel Xeon E3-1220 v2/4G ddr3(5-5-5-16))----Prism Sound Ada 8xr dac--aune S1c pro wck--845 diy tubed amplifiers(Lundahl transformer..Audio Note KAISEI....Duelund CAST..Duelund Silver wire...Audio Note silver resistor and Silver wire...Telefunken Western Electric tube)---Gryphon Pantheon--Akg P120 usb

#4071 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • LocationSillycon Valley

Posted 10 December 2022 - 06:27 AM

Well the difference with MC299/LE61 is even more apparent with the DX Engineering DX Iso plus 2 filter in line with my BJC Cat 5se cable. You can more easily hear the added musicality that it displays over the ES 38, along with improved detail, lowered noise floor and more open stage and layering that these Passive Common mode RF filters bring to the table. I thing they work like the Network Acoustic Muon Filters, but for only $50 a pair. One on either end of the cable. And they are getting better with burn in. Learned about them on Steve Hoffman's Music Forum after reading about them on Qobuz thread I was checking out on this Forum! Quite amazing, especially for the price!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Same here, thanks for sharing the tips. A pair in between Comcast modem and router, 2nd pair between switch and Wifi Access point, 3rd pair between switch and OpticalModule which run 25 feet of fiber optic cable to control PC on 2nd floor. At first they didn't seem to make a difference, but after a few hours sitting & cooking in the home network they began to show the nice improvements that you and others described, but with the latest ES41 instead. I'm using 0.5 ft Monoprice UTP cables instead of the supplied STP patch cords.

Kristian Bezuidehout's fortepiano, used to be sounding thin in my setup, is now on a higher level of musicality. It's fuller, has more weight, more authority, gone is the thin brightness. The tone is still distinct from that of a modern piano like Steinway or Bosendorfer, but very satisfying now. Beethoven's piano concertos No.1, 3, and 4, with DX-engineering ISO-Plus, ES41 on dualpc, BubbleUPnP 3.7.

Attached Files

WS2019 core, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY/JCAT XE/iOS, ES/TC, Xeon CPU, Industrial ECC RAM, Gustard X26, Singxer SU6, Linkwitz Pluto 2.1+

#4072 jgwtriode

jgwtriode

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 03:39 AM

Same here, thanks for sharing the tips. A pair in between Comcast modem and router, 2nd pair between switch and Wifi Access point, 3rd pair between switch and OpticalModule which run 25 feet of fiber optic cable to control PC on 2nd floor. At first they didn't seem to make a difference, but after a few hours sitting & cooking in the home network they began to show the nice improvements that you and others described, but with the latest ES41 instead. I'm using 0.5 ft Monoprice UTP cables instead of the supplied STP patch cords.

Kristian Bezuidehout's fortepiano, used to be sounding thin in my setup, is now on a higher level of musicality. It's fuller, has more weight, more authority, gone is the thin brightness. The tone is still distinct from that of modern Steinway or Bosendorfer, but very satisfying now. Beethoven's piano concertos No.1, 3, and 4, with DX-engineering ISO-Plus, ES41 on dualpc, BubbleUPnP 3.7.

Agreed I don't like other cable compared to the BJC, including a couple of expensive ones I have since sold off.  So I put in 1 foot BJC 1700's, which is their shortest and that definetly sounds better than the stock DX blue cables.  Have thrown ES 41 into the mix and its even a hint more musical than the ES 40 was.   

So now it's 41/299/61 in my trusted installer desktop folder.  I also dropped my I5 down to 1900 MHz since qobuz seem to be running more stably and droped the cache and cpu voltages another 20mv in both cases.  That sweetens up the music even a bit more, with added ease and detail.  So now things sound noticeably better. 

Still planning on HQplayer, a Windows tablet, to run HQ player client,  and JCAT XE network card next year to significantly improve my qobuz experience.  I may even get the new FARAD ATX Linear power supply, that is coming out.  The JCAT is beyond ridiculous for any actual consideration.   

Jplay Femto and Femtoserver just doesnt cut it with BubbleUPN wirelessly sending qobuz.    Still great with stored DSD's.  But my previously software record tidal files converted to FLAC with DRmare do not sound as good as qobuz straight.   IOS may be better, but not convinced as it is still wireless and I don't trust wireless based on a number of listening tests and comparisons I have done.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

#4073 micika

micika

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 06:35 PM

ES41 is better than 40. Except for the spark that 40 has on cymbals.

We need that spark.

• Griddy99 likes this

#4074 ts8

ts8

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 12:02 AM

Yes, if ES40 works well on one system or one prefer the sounds of ES40 then one should try the ES41.

ES41 has better and rich ambiences surround the instruments and vocals, e.g. one can hear the echoing of the voices from a singer in a studio.

of course, some of the properties I'd already highlighted before have been improved too, e.g. layering of the sound staging, sounds analogue, etc...

ES41/TC2.0 default setting on both Audio/Control

Intel NUC 11th Gen i5/i7 32GB Ram each ramBoot. JPlaymini 6.2D

Useful ES link: http://jplay.eu/foru...-261#entry65640

#4075 Lazz

Lazz

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 06:19 AM

@jgwtriode

what programs are you using on you pc to help sound quality, eg; ES41/299/61 etc' any others? Thx

#4076 micika

micika

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 07:47 AM

I would add that 41 lost the electronic fog surrounding the vocals and instruments. More darkness between them. Vocals don't "shine" outside their natural space. Much more relaxed and with body.

Stage is pushed way back from the mids to lows. Lower part of the stage. Now we "see" more clearly torso and the legs of the singers. Bass is more multilayered. I would say that these two improvements makes this version a big milestone.

But, we still need that spark on cymbals. Metallica sounds a bit mellow without this spark.

• andids likes this

#4077 jgwtriode

jgwtriode

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 08:46 AM

@jgwtriode

what programs are you using on you pc to help sound quality, eg; ES41/299/61 etc' any others? Thx

I use Audiophile Optimizer 3.  Fidelizer latest.  8.9 I think.  Process Lasso.   I undervolt using throttlestop 9.5.  I just underclock in OC settings access in my bios.  started running my I5 at 1400MZ tonight on qobuz.  It glitches just a hint on 192khz 24 bit flacs.  Everything else is fine. 

Can't run in anything else on that boot other than quobuz or it will crash.  I also run Jplay Femto on it.  But not using it much lately.   Do not like BubbleUPN for streaming qobuz to Jplay femtosever.  It sounds much better running all this and just letting it play from Qobuz.  So I use Trusted Installer to load ES 41/ MC 299/LE 61.   That is the best combo I have tried and running my I5, booting on a seprerate 200GB SLC Micron SSD.   I running all my music stuff from there. 

Let Fidelizer load, then manual load Trusted Installer.  than load Process Lasso. Throttlestop startS up automatically to lower CPU and cache offset voltage.  Currently at -254.9mV on each.   Runs mostly stable without crashing but only with qobuz.  If I do anything else on the computer at those setting it will blue screen.  Easy enough to get past.  Just boot my other drive and then delete Throttlestop.  Reload it and reset it again once I am back in my SSD.  At those voltage and at that clock speed it makes differences that are very comparable to what 41/299/61 do.  But it has a somewhat different overall effect, it really enhances ambiance, musicality and intelligibility and staging is just alive and illuminated.

More goosebumps.

Happy listening.  

#4078 panditji

panditji

Beginner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 11:42 AM

You are able to see the torso and legs of the singer with ES 41???? And it makes Metallica sound mellow? I must try ES 41 for myself it seems...

• Romaniac likes this

#4079 Cloclo

Cloclo

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 12 December 2022 - 11:58 AM

I would add that 41 lost the electronic fog surrounding the vocals and instruments. More darkness between them. Vocals don't "shine" outside their natural space. Much more relaxed and with body.

Stage is pushed way back from the mids to lows. Lower part of the stage. Now we "see" more clearly torso and the legs of the singers. Bass is more multilayered. I would say that these two improvements makes this version a big milestone.

But, we still need that spark on cymbals. Metallica sounds a bit mellow without this spark.

I agree completely with this: ES41 is wonderfully 3-dimensional, plus it has a lot of bass impact and presence and a very natural timbre.  Probably the best ES incarnation in those areas.

However ES41 lacks the energy and bite in the highs that can be found in  ES40. The latter is better at reproducing all the nuances of cymbals and crash in drum kits and orchestral instruments such as harpsichord and trumpets

• andids likes this

SYSTEM: Remote (iPhone 8, Jplay iOS app) > Control PC (HP i7 laptop, 16GB RAM, Wind 10, JPlayFemto, TC, ES) with external Toshiba Canvio Basic HDD > Meicord Opal Ethernet Cable > Audio PC (Dell i5 Laptop, 8GB, Jplay, TC, ES) > USB-to-HDMI Converter: Gustard U18 > DAC: Ladder Schuman R2R DAC fed by I2S HDMI signal from Gustard U18 with external clock from Gustard C16  >  PREAMP:  Townshed Allegri+ Passive preamp >  Power Amp: Holton Precision One-One-Zero Supreme > Speakers: Kerr Acoustic KA300mkII 

Vinyl Front End:  Lyra Etna SL  + Transfi tangential tonearm + Teres turntable;  Lyra Titan i  + DIY 12inch wooden arm + modded Lenco GL75  > Phonoclone MC phono stage

#4080 micika

micika

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 01:19 PM

However ES41 lacks the energy and bite in the highs that can be found in  ES40. The latter is better at reproducing all the nuances of cymbals and crash in drum kits and orchestral instruments such as harpsichord and trumpets

Totally agree.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)