• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

I'd start with Supra Cat 8 which is  approx $50 for 1m. 

• FelipeRolim, Tyzonfaups, NadolahS and 2 others like this

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#22 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:29 PM

I've compared supra with this one

https://viablue.de/c...6a_t6s_rj45.php

And the Supra has the classics sharp "Supra Sound"
ViaBlue Has a much better warmer and more detailed character,
More musical, better air, deeper cleaner bass, and more natural voices

strongly Recommended

DIY,

http://www.viablue.d...id_ethernet.php
With
https://www.telegaer...ighlights/mfp8/

and you have very High-End LAN Cable that's beats a lot of  cables

• Marcin_gps, Thuan, FelipeRolim and 1 other like this

#23 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationQuatiguá/Paraná/Brazil

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The Supra CAT8 with Metz connectors costs $52.00 at FutureShop, while the ViaBlue with Telegartner connectors costs something close to $70.00, not counting shiping and taxes. Maybe I try the ViaBlue, because the price difference isn't high. The third alternative would be the Audioquest Carbon, also with Telegartner connectors, for about $100.00. I'm tending to ViaBlue, since I really like the brand. I continue to accept suggestions, preferably with descriptions as to how the cables sound. This will certainly not be my ultimate goal, but it will be the first, and therefore, an important reference.

- Speakers KEF Reference 203/2 with spikes;

- Schiit Freya preamp. (with Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 Gold-Pin tubes and Synergistic Research Orange Fuse) and Audio Research VS115 (with Tung-Sol KT120 and Svetlana 6H30 tubes and AMR Gold Fuse);

- DAC Ayre QB-9 192/24 + Furutech FI-03 ( R) + Synergistic Research Orange Fuse;

- Digital transport: the Control-PC is a dedicated computer with a Gigabyte H310N motherboard, a Intel Core i3-8100T processor, an Arctic Alpine 12 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM 2400MHz, a JCAT Net Card FEMTO and 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD; the Audio-PC is a dedicated computer with a Gigabyte H310M M.2 2.0 motherboard, a Intel Core i3-9100T processor, an Arctic Alpine 12 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM 2400MHz, a JCAT Net Card FEMTO and a JCAT USB Card FEMTO. Both computers use Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Core Mode (17763.737) with RAMdisk as Operational System, JPLAY FEMTO Alternative version, Minority Clean and Audiophile Optimizer v. 3.00 (1A in Control-PC and 4D in Audio-PC). Both also use hand made linear power supplies with a Furutech FI-06 ( R) NCF.

- Cables: Nordost Tyr (speaker), Nordost Valhalla XLR and Siltech 770i XLR (interconnects), Curious Evolved USB Cable, Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (DAC), Transparent PowerLink MM2 (power amp.), 2 x Purist Audio Design Canorus Praesto Revision Power Cable (power distributor and computers), Purist Audio Design Limited Edition Praesto Revision Power Cable (preamp.) and Jupiter Pure Silver Cotton Insulated (all internal wires from the computers).

- Acessories: Furutech GTX-D (G); Furutech GTX-D ( R) (x2); Sunrise Deep Line (x3); ebony spikes, carbon fiber bases; Nordost Qv2 (x3); acoustical and electrical reinforcements.

#24 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:46 PM

I would not buy a Audioquest cable,

https://arstechnica....nd-look-inside/

telegartner MFP8 RJ45 is higher quality

• Marcin_gps and Tomslin like this

#25 motberg

motberg

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:22 AM

I have a few on these - from 1M to 5M

http://www.ghentaudi.../part/et11.html

All my cables work fine, and when I researched this some time ago, it seems the design is sound (the design appears to have been helped by some folks over at AS)..

I do not online stream files, I only use for connecting Audio/Control PC's and internet connection. Sorry I cannot offer any SQ comparison.

Honestly, after reading all the tweaking currently going on for online/NAS Ethernet streaming, I will be happy to stick with USB and local storage for a while :P

• FelipeRolim likes this

#26 moriez

moriez

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

Did anyone here ever find differences in 1.5 meter long coaxial cable vs other lenghts? Some are saying (or parrot) 1.5 meter is least prone to reflections which affect jitter. Thoughts?

I've already heard some interesting events related to this, in my system and in a few others. Here in my own system, I could attest that digital cables are better, when shorter, speaker cables are better, when longer, up to 3m, interconnect cables are better from 1m to 1.25m, and that power cables are better, when longer, with lengths of at least 2m. Regarding digital cables, here I had very interesting experiences with Wireworld and Audioquest cables, the Gold Starlight coaxial I had and the Diamond USB I've tested. The 0.5m model (Wireworld) and 0.75m model (Audioquest) is appreciably better than the 1.5m ones. I cannot say that this happens with every brand and every model, but in my system (and therefore, it's my experience), shorter digital cables are always better. I bougth the Curious Cable USB with 0.8m, which is the smallest size available on the site as "standard", even the manufacturer ensuring there is no difference between them. 

To end the internal dialogue I bought two of Ghentaudio's Canare LV-61S True 75 Ohm Coax RCA cables in 1 meter and 1.5 meter lenght. Should be here in about a week time  :P

• satbaba and FelipeRolim like this

#27 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

Hello friends. Continuing the topic, in a few days I should receive the Viablue EP-7S with the Telegärtner connectors, which were suggested by Nobudy, and Audiopheeling's newest SATA cable, now called Encounter. Soon we'll have news about the changes. I hope they are a good upgrade. The next step, I've already decided, will be the JCAT network cards. I can't put off buying anymore. Then, there will be little to complete the computers' project.

• Marcin_gps and satbaba like this

- Schiit Freya preamp. (with Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 Gold-Pin tubes and Synergistic Research Orange Fuse) and Audio Research VS115 (with Tung-Sol KT120 and Svetlana 6H30 tubes and AMR Gold Fuse);

- DAC Ayre QB-9 192/24 + Furutech FI-03 ( R) + Synergistic Research Orange Fuse;

- Digital transport: the Control-PC is a dedicated computer with a Gigabyte H310N motherboard, a Intel Core i3-8100T processor, an Arctic Alpine 12 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM 2400MHz, a JCAT Net Card FEMTO and 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD; the Audio-PC is a dedicated computer with a Gigabyte H310M M.2 2.0 motherboard, a Intel Core i3-9100T processor, an Arctic Alpine 12 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM 2400MHz, a JCAT Net Card FEMTO and a JCAT USB Card FEMTO. Both computers use Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Core Mode (17763.737) with RAMdisk as Operational System, JPLAY FEMTO Alternative version, Minority Clean and Audiophile Optimizer v. 3.00 (1A in Control-PC and 4D in Audio-PC). Both also use hand made linear power supplies with a Furutech FI-06 ( R) NCF.

- Cables: Nordost Tyr (speaker), Nordost Valhalla XLR and Siltech 770i XLR (interconnects), Curious Evolved USB Cable, Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (DAC), Transparent PowerLink MM2 (power amp.), 2 x Purist Audio Design Canorus Praesto Revision Power Cable (power distributor and computers), Purist Audio Design Limited Edition Praesto Revision Power Cable (preamp.) and Jupiter Pure Silver Cotton Insulated (all internal wires from the computers).

- Acessories: Furutech GTX-D (G); Furutech GTX-D ( R) (x2); Sunrise Deep Line (x3); ebony spikes, carbon fiber bases; Nordost Qv2 (x3); acoustical and electrical reinforcements.

#28 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:08 AM

Remember that Viablue EP-7S with the Telegärtner connectors needs about 100-200 hours to burn in

#29 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:22 AM

Good evening everyone. Adding substance to the idea of ​​developing computers that serve as true hi-end transports, I recently adopted two very interesting cables in their composition: Audiopheeling SATA Encounter and ViaBlue EP-7S Ethernet with Telegärtner MFP8 connectors. This is all part of the already planned journey that I intend to walk towards the completion of my project. Items of interest came to me and not previously foreseen, but essentially, what was foreseen and still remains is: (i) 12v sources for processors (will be sigma11), (ii) two additional ldovr power supplies for offboard cards, (iii) two power supplies (MK IV version) for motherboards and (iv) two JCAT Net Card FEMTO .

Notwithstanding the planned modifications and not yet implemented, the addition of cables has brought very interesting improvements. Recently, on the recommendation of friends, I had wonderful experiences with optimizing a Deronxin-T SATA cable. So far, it was the best SATA cable I had tried, and at a very low cost. It's a cheap cable, without any audiophile bias, but it received several layers of cotton and an aluminum foil shield. It is more detailed, more balanced and full-bodied than the Audiopheeling SATA Statement, which I also had, and than the Pachanko Reference. However, Audiopheeling SATA Encounter has brought a new benchmark for this kind of cable. As for the sound, while the "prepared" Deronxin-T has an "easier ride sound", I'd say, especially because of its more restrained and receding treble, Audiopheeling demands a different sounding hit, a combination with something that has a fuller, more "stuffed" sound, rich in textures and a more relaxed way of playing, and this was promoted by switching from internal wiring to Jupiter Pure Silver Cotton Insulated. It's an absolutely promising combination that allows me to extract a lot from your computer.

In the case of the Encounter model, there's an absurd gain in detail, spatiality, ambience, focus and dimension of the soundstage, and without any kind of alteration, without distortions in the presentation of each musician and/or instrument. There was a time when my quest was to achieve balance and the adequacy and perfectibilization of instrument tones and voices, but today my quest is to maintain something that I already consider very good. In this, the combination of Jupiter wire and Audiopheeling SATA cable was correct, since they didn't introduce any kind of coloration, imbalance, or tendency of loudness. Clearly, the Audiopheeling cable opts for a looser, more fluid, more relaxed, and more spaced sound, without making the presentation misshapen, oversized, or out of focus. This is characteristic, typical way of playing, but without unbalancing the sound, which pleased me very much. It's worth it and once again (by the third time - Statement, Deroxin-T and Encounter), I have the distinct impression that SATA cables are in a higher order of relevance than USB. This Encounter is perfect for my purposes. I also did a curious experiment: I compared the sound of Windows running from SSD and playing music from the same SSD (task division) with the sound of Windows running from RAM and the SSD being used exclusively for music playback. With Audiopheeling cable assisting the task, the performance of both modes is approaching, but the use of RAMdisk is even better, with SATA just to transport music files.

The Viablue network cable, in turn, is still just over 30h, and readings I have taken indicate that it can change up to approximately 200h of use. Anyway, between yesterday and today it has changed a lot, and for the better, to something that pleases me more. At first it made my system play "hot" (I hate that term because it brings me to a huge lack of technicality, but that's what happened). Not bad, but I could see the "color" clearly. There was a distortion, a certain "what" of biased, warm sound, with prominent mids, but not piercing the eardrums, just introducing a rather remarkable feature. It sent me a lot to the sound of the Cardas Clear USB I had. Over time, the cable was gaining balance, losing color and returning the system to the previous state, in terms of balance, the way to play. I just have the impression (to confirm) that the system has lost a bit of brutality and gained a bit more bass depth. I don't know if because I use a very short cable (I built with only 50cm long - I have a feeling that for digital cables, the shorter they are, the better they perform) or if it's the break-in, but right now it's looking like a good upgrade. There's a general growth, no change of signature or way of playing (which is wonderful) and this time with a beautiful cost apparently offering a return proportional to the amount invested. I hope the cable will evolve further over time.

I also hope that cable break-in and stabilization will only make it grow in performance, without changing the overall sound of the system, which looks great. Good Sunday everyone.

Attached Files

• Marcin_gps, Adrian and Carlosoptico like this

#30 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:44 PM

The Network cables is way too short !
It should never be shorter than 1m !
and never bend so sharp that you have done

#31 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

Each experience is a different, unique experience. The results on my system are not exactly identical to yours. So FOR ME, AND IN MY SYSTEM, digital cables, if shorter, always work better. Always. I've tried this over and over, and confirmed that at shorter distances, while not as imposing in signature, soundtracking, they work better in performance, deliver more content, but without "tempering" as much as larger cables do. As I don't want a very obvious "spice", although I want to extract more from the cable, the distance is purposeful. The same can be said of any other digital cable I've tried. The limit is 1.25m. Just my opinion, based on my auditions.

Regarding the bend, you're right. Today this only happens because the distance between PCI-Express on the one side and onboard LAN on the other is very large. Later, when I switch to two JCATs on PCI-Express ports, this will improve. It was purposeful and temporary. JCAT is just a matter of time.
  • Rob likes this

#32 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for sharing! 

I'd also recommend looking ad SATA DC cables as these can make similar improvement as the SATA (data) cables. 

Regards, 
Marcin

• FelipeRolim likes this

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#33 Rob

Rob

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationStamford, England.

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:51 PM

Hello I also find shorter digital cables work better but that is dependent on quantity Nobudy is correct in that tight bend radius of Ethernet cables reduces bandwidth by adding additional capacitance but it doesn’t look that tight.
Best Regards Rob

#34 satbaba

satbaba

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:04 AM

Hello I also find shorter digital cables work better but that is dependent on quantity Nobudy is correct in that tight bend radius of Ethernet cables reduces bandwidth by adding additional capacitance but it doesn’t look that tight.
Best Regards Rob

+1
  • FelipeRolim likes this

#35 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:05 PM

Interesting reading suggested by e-mail by Upscale Audio website: https://www.upscalea...source=omnisend

• Adrian, Thuan and Rob like this

#36 Iain

Iain

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:32 PM

Interesting reading suggested by e-mail by Upscale Audio website: https://www.upscalea...source=omnisend

Thanks Felipe very good. The last paragraph especially
  • FelipeRolim likes this

#37 alain

alain

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

in this article i read: 'digital processors must recognize and decode many different voltages (16 or more for Ethernet)', this is not true, ethernet physical layer transmit two levels of voltage.

#38 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:50 PM

I think that the article is referring to the possible signal combinations between all lanes of the LAN cable, not sixteen voltage variations of the same conductor. I don't know if I got it wrong.

#39 seeteeyou

seeteeyou

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:57 PM

For some reasons they removed their "Achievement" SATA cable that's meant to be coming soon before it's gone

http://www.audiophee...om/digital.html

Though Pachanko Studio just announced another flagship SATA cable for approximately $660

https://www.instagra.../p/B4hiF7-p5vW/

https://www.adark.co...o-aphelion-sata

https://www.facebook...191034637689746

#40 alain

alain

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:37 AM

purist audio design make also ethernet cable i choosed, very clean and musical on my system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users