#1 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationQuatiguá/Paraná/Brazil

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:05 PM

Hello everyone. I looked in this forum and didn't find any topic that specifically deals with digital cables related to the computer, and I refer to them as the SATA cable, the LAN cable and the USB cable (or other that can be used, such as fiber optic cable). Although I've found information on other forums, they're all very sparse, and most of the time what I found were users struggling to convince each other that digital cables make no difference. For this reason, I've decided to create in this forum a specific topic with a certain degree of generality (digital computer cables), so that we can gather information we have, in particular, which cables to use, the kind of sound they offer and possible comparisons made between them. Please, that those who post to simply say "cable makes no difference" or "on an oscilloscope are all the same", I ask you to spare your time and remain silent.

• Liozelcox, AurumX, NadolahS and 7 others like this

- Speakers KEF Reference 203/2 with spikes;

- Integrated amplifier Sunrise V8 MK IV;

- DAC Ayre QB-9 192/24 + Furutech FI-03 ( R) + Synergistic Research Orange Fuse;

- Source: the Control-PC is a dedicated computer with a Gigabyte H310N motherboard, a Intel Core i3-8100T processor, an Arctic Alpine 12 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM 2400MHz and 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD; the Audio-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0 motherboard, a Intel Core i7-4750T processor, an Arctic Alpine 12 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1600MHz and a JCAT USB Card FEMTO. Both computers use Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Core Mode (17763.737) with RAMdisk as Operational System, JPLAY FEMTO Alternative Version, Minority Clean (XIII in Control-PC and XXVII in Audio-PC) and Audiophile Optimizer v. 3.00 (1A in Control-PC and 4D in Audio-PC). Both also use hand made linear power supplies with a Furutech FI-06 ( R ) NCF as inlet.

- Cables: Nordost Tyr (speaker), Nordost Valhalla XLR or Siltech 770i (interconnect), Curious Evolved USB Cable, Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (computers), Transparent PowerLink MM2 (integrated amp.), Purist Audio Design Canorus Praesto Revision Power Cable (power distributor), Purist Audio Design Limited Edition Praesto Revision Power Cable (DAC), Kimber Kable 12TC + gold plated connectors (24 way internal power supply cable of the motherboards), Jupiter Pure Silver Cotton Insulated (all remaining internal wires from the computers) and Audiopheeling SATA Encounter.

- Acessories: Furutech GTX-D (G); Furutech GTX-D ( R ) (x2); Sunrise Deep Line (x3); spikes Viablue HS; ebony spikes, carbon fiber bases; Nordost Qv2 (x3); acoustical and electrical reinforcements.

#2 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:46 PM

I've been thru Kimber USB, Curious USB, Supra USB, PPA USB, and iFi Mercury USB 3.0. They're all good for their purpose, but PPA dual lead USB is being used in the current setup between AudioPC and Mutec DDC for its most matching musical performance. Target upgrade: JCAT dual lead USB.

PPA and Pachanko Black Reference are being used exclusively between motherboards and OS / Music SSDs. So far so good, but target upgrade is JCAT SATA.

PPA and Pachanko Ethernet cables connect AudioPC and controlPC to each other and to PPA Gigabit switch, and switch to FMC. Again, target upgrade is JCAT Ethernet cable between PCs.

Vovox AES/EBU cables connect 2 Mutec DDCs to each other and DAC. They seem neutral enough to stay in the setup for a while.

At some point I told myself, "Enough is enough" and focused on enjoying the music. However with the advancement of WS2019, JPLAY FEMTO, and AO3, it's so easier to hear and appreciate the difference in cables (and any such changes as fuses, damping, OS versions but those are off topic) that it's tempting to spot a "weak link" to upgrade from time to time. Therefore, my current target system upgrade is (an off topic item).

Overall, whatever cables that make my setup sing to my ears, I'll keep. Usually as I noticed, those keepers tend to be a bit more expensive than the most affordable ones but don't have to be the most expensive. Synergy and maching are key.
  • FelipeRolim likes this
WS2019 ServerDC Core 10.0.17763.1098, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, Fidelizer Pro 8.5, JPLAY Femto, BubbleUPnP.

#3 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:54 PM

Who liked to photograph, a few decades ago, preferred either Canon, or Nikon. Nikon gave a superior status, but Canon was excellent. Two identical photos, made at the same time, with the same shot, same film, were evidently different, with machines of the two brands. The one of the Nikon probably more "artistic", privileging the details, the one of the Canon more balanced and privileging the whole. But both were very correct. Everything perfect, but different photos, because photo isn't reality, it's a recreation of it. If a sound system isn't totally wireless, it's clear that, just like the cameras, the cables will influence the result. Different cables will have emphases, different perspectives. For they form the way of the sign, and therefore act in some way in the result. Some will privilege the whole, others the details, and among the details, the emphases will also be different. This, in principle, doesn't mean that one is superior to the other, although in real systems, one cable will always tend to give better or worse results than the others. However, one thing is correction, tonal extension, timbre fidelity, transparency, detailing, harmonic body, etc., another thing is the "typical sonority", the approach. Everything is mixed, evidently the timbre, the extension, the apparent speed, the duration of the notes, e. g., will imply in different sonorities. However, two cables can be on the same level of performance, both are very transparent, but result in very different sonorities. So we need to be able to distinguish between what, in a result, is how to play, typical sound, and - on the other hand - what is performance, superior (or inferior) performance. The different sonority also influences, conforms the acoustics, in the environment, on the stage. So, people in general, and I also include myself in this group, are very influenced by the sonority, the approach. In such a way that often, at first, we think cables are superior that are actually less correct, or are too dry, or privilege details over the principal, among other things.

I just found a sound that can be called "complete" as to render unnecessary extras tempers with Nordost Valhalla, on my system (after an endless series of comparisons and hearings with other models), a cable line that I don't have conditions use in 100% of it, because it would imply an investment that I believe is approaching the house of $ 40,000.00 or more. By this I mean that, from what I heard today, only high level cables can be considered "independent", which would require a very high investment that 90% or more of the people cannot do. Regarding the intermediate lines I heard today, I'm virtually (using the term for never having known in practice) unable to believe that systems that are 100% Purist, Kubala, Transparent, Kimber, Siltech, Nordost, MIT, van den hul could play satisfactorily well. I cite as an example the Kubala Emotion speaker cables, which is the "darling" of many. In the times when I heard it, I couldn't enjoy the sound in no time. Loaded, heavy, slow, very closed. It needs seasoning! I wonder what an entire system would look like with the Emotion line. I say the same regarding the Nordost Heimdall, which contains the "DNA" of Nordost but don't represent the fullness of all that the brand can deliver, which changes with Tyr, is excellent with Valhalla and perfect with Odin. For these reasons, I have a special interest in knowing the typical sonorities of certain cables, their approach, so that this serves for me and for the readers, as a way to have a more solid foundation in possible future purchases.

That being said, I ask: regarding the USB, SATA and network cables that you used, would you and the other friends who post here in the future be able to distinguish their typical sonorities? This upgrade, cable change for the JCAT is based on what? Is it based on any previous audition? What exactly is missing or can be improved in the system that demands this exchange? Is there any expectation?

- DAC Ayre QB-9 192/24 + Furutech FI-03 ( R) + Synergistic Research Orange Fuse;

- Source: the Control-PC is a dedicated computer with a Gigabyte H310N motherboard, a Intel Core i3-8100T processor, an Arctic Alpine 12 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM 2400MHz and 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD; the Audio-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0 motherboard, a Intel Core i7-4750T processor, an Arctic Alpine 12 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1600MHz and a JCAT USB Card FEMTO. Both computers use Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Core Mode (17763.737) with RAMdisk as Operational System, JPLAY FEMTO Alternative Version, Minority Clean (XIII in Control-PC and XXVII in Audio-PC) and Audiophile Optimizer v. 3.00 (1A in Control-PC and 4D in Audio-PC). Both also use hand made linear power supplies with a Furutech FI-06 ( R ) NCF as inlet.

- Cables: Nordost Tyr (speaker), Nordost Valhalla XLR or Siltech 770i (interconnect), Curious Evolved USB Cable, Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (computers), Transparent PowerLink MM2 (integrated amp.), Purist Audio Design Canorus Praesto Revision Power Cable (power distributor), Purist Audio Design Limited Edition Praesto Revision Power Cable (DAC), Kimber Kable 12TC + gold plated connectors (24 way internal power supply cable of the motherboards), Jupiter Pure Silver Cotton Insulated (all remaining internal wires from the computers) and Audiopheeling SATA Encounter.

- Acessories: Furutech GTX-D (G); Furutech GTX-D ( R ) (x2); Sunrise Deep Line (x3); spikes Viablue HS; ebony spikes, carbon fiber bases; Nordost Qv2 (x3); acoustical and electrical reinforcements.

#4 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

Hi Felipe, you're as eloquent and poetic as usual, not only on computer audio but also on photography. Having both Nikon first, then Canon and Pentax DSLRs, I know and agree with what you're talking about. Back to the cables, eventhough I've heard of but not experienced with your NV cables, I have no doubt they perform wonderfully in your system considering their premium price.

To answer your questions, my wishes to upgrade to mostly JCAT cables and gear are based on:

1/ Undeniably superior JCAT FEMTO USB and network adapter.
2/ Very good sounding PPA cables which are very similar to JCAT which is likely to be even better.
3/ The people behind the JCAT products: knowledgeable, honest, classy, music first.

Now onto the sonority, what's missing, and expectations. Like JPLAY software in the Femto incarnation, JCAT is all about precision in build, neutrality AND musicality in sound, and once again the manufacturer's care to deliver the best. In all honesty, with current OS/JPLAY FEMTO/AO3BETA setup I feel nothing is missing. But what do I know, only sky is the limit. The thing is, we audionuts never stop pushing the envelope. Something is missing, we upgrade to fill the hole. Something makes us happy and fall in love, we initially decide to sit still for a while. Then one day not very far from that happy day, we ask, "What if ? " question that can cost between a few bucks and a few grand depending on our budget.

Eventually we get delivery of that toy and if we make the right choice, we expect to hear even more openness, more palpable image, more details revealed from recordings, more musicality. Example: O Come, O Come, Emmanuel a song by Enya. In the lyrics there's phrase, "Gaude, gaude..." that had always been sounding like "Calmde, calmde" to my aging ears. Having updated to 379, I can make out clearly the "G" in the phrase. Here's another one: I've tried Datacenter first, didn't like its bulky structure but found the meaty SQ, tried Standard, felt something was missing, came back to DC and found myself again. After hearing DC and switching to STD then back to DC, I sensed there's something in DC that I couldn't put my finger on but it's there and wants me to stay. Those experiences are off topic but hopefully explain my point.

I used to have PPA TCXO and OCXO USB cards and they're still here. I thought they're very good and they're, but after switching to JCAT it's like day and night difference. Hold on, AudioPhil has just reset the activation counter, so I can't wait to hear 379 on both PCs. Later my friend.
WS2019 ServerDC Core 10.0.17763.1098, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, Fidelizer Pro 8.5, JPLAY Femto, BubbleUPnP.

#5 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

Just remember

just because a cable sounds good at one system,
doesn't mean that it sounds good at another system,

cables are very system dependent

• joelha likes this

I'm listening to the music , not gear
Sound says more than numbers.

Xeon CAPS- Heavily upgraded Schiit EITR- EAR Yoshino DAC- EAR Yoshino Pre Amp- EAR Yoshino AMP- Speakers

#6 Rob

Rob

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationStamford, England.

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

Just remember

Well said, there are many reasons why digital cables sound different in different systems and it is very complex. One thing I do know is usb cables sound different if 5v is required for the DDC or DAC.
Best regards Rob.

#7 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:57 PM

Just remember

Well said, there are many reasons why digital cables sound different in different systems and it is very complex. One thing I do know is usb cables sound different if 5v is required for the DDC or DAC.
Best regards Rob.

Nobudy and Rob are very correct. Unfortunately, although it's possible to observe a trend in the sound of certain cables, the combination with the equipment is always a risk.

Hi Felipe, you're as eloquent and poetic as usual, not only on computer audio but also on photography. Having both Nikon first, then Canon and Pentax DSLRs, I know and agree with what you're talking about. Back to the cables, eventhough I've heard of but not experienced with your NV cables, I have no doubt they perform wonderfully in your system considering their premium price.

To answer your questions, my wishes to upgrade to mostly JCAT cables and gear are based on:

1/ Undeniably superior JCAT FEMTO USB and network adapter.
2/ Very good sounding PPA cables which are very similar to JCAT which is likely to be even better.
3/ The people behind the JCAT products: knowledgeable, honest, classy, music first.

Now onto the sonority, what's missing, and expectations. Like JPLAY software in the Femto incarnation, JCAT is all about precision in build, neutrality AND musicality in sound, and once again the manufacturer's care to deliver the best. In all honesty, with current OS/JPLAY FEMTO/AO3BETA setup I feel nothing is missing. But what do I know, only sky is the limit. The thing is, we audionuts never stop pushing the envelope. Something is missing, we upgrade to fill the hole. Something makes us happy and fall in love, we initially decide to sit still for a while. Then one day not very far from that happy day, we ask, "What if ? " question that can cost between a few bucks and a few grand depending on our budget.

Eventually we get delivery of that toy and if we make the right choice, we expect to hear even more openness, more palpable image, more details revealed from recordings, more musicality. Example: O Come, O Come, Emmanuel a song by Enya. In the lyrics there's phrase, "Gaude, gaude..." that had always been sounding like "Calmde, calmde" to my aging ears. Having updated to 379, I can make out clearly the "G" in the phrase. Here's another one: I've tried Datacenter first, didn't like its bulky structure but found the meaty SQ, tried Standard, felt something was missing, came back to DC and found myself again. After hearing DC and switching to STD then back to DC, I sensed there's something in DC that I couldn't put my finger on but it's there and wants me to stay. Those experiences are off topic but hopefully explain my point.

I used to have PPA TCXO and OCXO USB cards and they're still here. I thought they're very good and they're, but after switching to JCAT it's like day and night difference. Hold on, AudioPhil has just reset the activation counter, so I can't wait to hear 379 on both PCs. Later my friend.

ThuanB, I've been thinking like you about the JCAT items. They inspire confidence and aparently deliver everything that they commit to. In other words, within their respective price categories, they look great! The problem is precisely to understand this "aproach" to which I referred, because I think that this substantially defines the way of playing of a system. I'm afraid to buy anything without listening. I'll certainly buy two JCAT Net Card FEMTO in the future, but, from then on, I don't know much what to do about the cables. To get started, I'm thinking about buying an AudioQuest Cinnamon Ethernet Cable, just to remove the cheap cable I use and to start having a certain reference. Has anyone had the opportunity to hear it? How does it sound like? It's a relatively cheaper alternative to get started.

On my system, I prefer to use accurate analogue cables, with very high resolution, detailing, digital cables with more analogical, musical, relaxed sonority and to leave the "temperament", the fine adjustment, for the power cables. This is why I use Nordost analog, I chose the Curious USB Cable and I have Transparent, Purist and Nordost power cables. They are a very good combination with my equipment, under the circumstances in which I use them.

About the USB cable, in relation to which I already had contact with a large number of brands and models (AudioQuest Diamond, Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 and Platinum Starlight 7, Oyaide neo d +, Curious Cable, Cardas Clear USB, Furutech GT-2 and GT-2 Pro, among others), I chose Curious precisely because, in its price, it's the cable with the best performance and the most realistic, rich, natural sound I have ever heard and that delivers a higher level of quality. I left Wireworld and didn't want to return because I believe that the digital cables of the brand, despite having good performance, deliver a very dry sound, to much treble, which I think to pass a false sense of reality and cause fatigue in a short time of hearing. The Audioquest Diamond seems to me much more natural, relaxed, correct, though equally detailed than Wireworld and still worse than Curious.

With regard to the SATA cable, I had a cable called Audiopheeling Statement, of a Brazilian manufacturer. It's undoubtedly the best SATA cable I've ever heard, much better than some Pachanko model that I cannot remember the name of, but I believe it to be the Reference. Too bad the cable stopped working for no apparent reason and I had to return it to the manufacturer. It's my first choice today, but I'm also very interested in understanding the sonority of the Pachanko Pure Reference and the JCAT, about how they compare to the level of quality and how the sound they deliver.

So, in this new phase of my search, starting with the network cable (a simpler model, for now), I intend to find cables with this sonority tendency. This is also why I'm interested in comparing the way the JCAT cables play. In the future, having a source from which to retrieve this information will be very valuable.

#8 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:00 AM

For better reference, I transcribe Marcin's answer regarding to JCAT's digital cables:

"My reference are top of the range Siltech Double Crown & Triple Crown cables when it comes to the sound quality and overall character of the cable. In short: it is about the absolute best resolution & refinement. Resolution understood as sharpness or excessive analyticity without balance and musicality is a flaw IMHO. My aim is to get as close as possible to the natural sound with a touch of 'magic' ;)".

I feel totally comfortable to agree with him. Music is not just an orderly and sequenced set of frequencies. Music is always associated with emotion, expressiveness, life, with the reconstruction of a real event, and this is what I always look for in my auditions, which includes the temperament of the system through the cables. I'd love to know the SATA and network cables, which I look with special care. The USB cable will only enter the scope in the future, when all the rest is leveled over. In addition to enjoying the sound of the Curious USB Cable, I still believe it isn't obsolete. I'm also very curious to know the top-of-the-line USB cables from Transparent and Purist.

• Marcin_gps likes this

#9 moriez

moriez

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:16 PM

Did anyone here ever find differences in 1.5 meter long coaxial cable vs other lenghts? Some are saying (or parrot) 1.5 meter is least prone to reflections which affect jitter. Thoughts?

Briefly explained:

https://www.audiosen...-digital-cable/

• FelipeRolim likes this

#10 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:58 PM

Hello, Moriez! How are you?

I've already heard some interesting events related to this, in my system and in a few others. Here in my own system, I could attest that digital cables are better, when shorter, speaker cables are better, when longer, up to 3m, interconnect cables are better from 1m to 1.25m, and that power cables are better, when longer, with lengths of at least 2m. Regarding digital cables, here I had very interesting experiences with Wireworld and Audioquest cables, the Gold Starlight coaxial I had and the Diamond USB I've tested. The 0.5m model (Wireworld) and 0.75m model (Audioquest) is appreciably better than the 1.5m ones. I cannot say that this happens with every brand and every model, but in my system (and therefore, it's my experience), shorter digital cables are always better. I bougth the Curious Cable USB with 0.8m, which is the smallest size available on the site as "standard", even the manufacturer ensuring there is no difference between them. I also make sure all cables are physically distant from each other, at least 5cm.

Speaking a little about the power cables, I could already compare different sizes of Purist, Nordost and Furutech, and always the 2m models are better than those of 1 and 1.5m. I can say that a 2m Nordost Brahma has very close performance to a 1m Nordost Valhalla, and that the 2m Nordost Valhalla is much better. The Furutech arent bad at 1m, but 2m are better. The Purist also change, especially the 20th Anniversary power cord. A remarkable experience can also be seen at Nordost events, where a Nordost Odin of 1 or 2m is powering a power distributor (Qb8) and is replaced by a 5m Nordot Odin. Everyone stays frightened by the effect of improvement.

So, despite not sure that any digital cable is better, when in smaller sizes, I'd rather not risk it and buy as smaller as possible, and leave the greater distances for the speaker and power cables. I know this is a positioning that isn't aligned with the understanding of reputed people in the middle, such as the PS Audio developer, for example. He always prefers to use larger interconnect cables and smaller speaker cables and has his arguments for it. But, the results he points out I couldn't replicate on my system, so I prefer to use longer speaker cables, small interconnect cables and digital cables, and power cables with at least 2m. All my power cables have 2m.

• moriez likes this

#11 james108

james108

Beginner

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:01 AM

Felipe  you mentioned Audiopheeling SATA cable in another thread and i believe you said it was the best you have heard,  is that correct?  I emailed Allan of  Audiopheeling and he said he will have an improved version of his SATA cable at the end of April.    Did you compare his cable to the JCAT SATA cable?

#12 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:21 AM

Hi, James. I've never heard a JCAT cable. With regard to Audiopheeling, it's true that it was the best SATA cable I've ever heard. The price isn't cheap, not at all, but the performance is impressive. I think, without a doubt, that the SATA cable is more important to my system than the USB cable. I'm not saying to use USB printer cables, but I believe that if it's to invest with a limited budget, I'd opt for the top of line SATA cable and buy an intermediate USB cable (I think Curious caters me perfectly). The Audiopheeling SATA Statement delivers an extremely natural sound, very relaxed, with beautiful and richer harmonics and something that I've rarely seen, and only in cables of very high level: at the same time that the cable manages to deliver a high degree of detail, of information, showing the best of the music content, there's no focus on the detail. The cable allows that, even with a very precise soundstage and instrument points, the listener has a panoramic view of the musical event, a complete notion of music, not just sound, of organized frequencies. It's realistic, it's euphonious, it's incredible.

The problem is that it stopped working after a few months, I have no idea why. I contacted Allan (who is a great friend) and we undid the deal, I returned the cable and he returned the money. Now, I need a SATA cable and I don't have one, hehehe. One of Allan's jobs in this improved version is to optimize the cable's stability, make sure it adapts to the most diverse situations, and make the performance level go up a little bit more. I'm waiting and I sure plan to buy one. It's a shame that comparisons in Brazil are difficult, because I'd love to test the top of line JCAT Reference SATA Cable.

I don't think about Paul Pang, nor Pachanko. I only change the Audiopheeling if I ever try JCAT and it shows itself superior. It's my only alternative, besides the Audiopheeling.

Attached Files

• Marcin_gps likes this

#13 james108

james108

Beginner

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

thanks   he said there will be two versions.

I think he said about $500 US for the "Basic"  no idea what the "Advanced costs"  Probably a case of if you need to ask you can't afford it :)

I am running two PCs Control and Audio ,  I plan to purpose build the Audio PC and use an exiting  i7 920 for Control

In term  of the SATA cable if I can afford just one were would it make the most impact  The Audio PC OS drive or  the Control PC OS Drive?

Same question for the JCAT Net Femto card  if I put one in the Audio PC will I get the majority of the benefit of using two JCAT Net cards

thanks

James 108

#14 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:08 AM

In the version that I bought from Audiopheeling, the most "basic" (Statement) cost more than $500.00, and was playing absurdly. The Reference line I've never met. I wonder how good this Allan's new version is.

I didn't do much experimenting with SATA cables, because I had two SSDs for a short time, and then I started using RAMdisk, so I used only a 500GB SSD. Even so, from what I could hear, I thought it best to put the dedicated cable on the SSD with the music files, rather than the SSD with the operating system. In both cases it improved, but in the SSD with the songs the superiority was a little bigger. I've read reports on the contrary way, so, I think you have to test.

I wouldn't like this topic to become a monologue, in which many ask and only I respond. I wish more people could report their own experiences with digital cables...

#15 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:14 AM

My set up right now is,
Full blown Xeon ECC CFcard CAPS to
Transparent Premium USB to Schiit Eitr to Transparent Reference Digital Link to EAR Yoshino Dac,

excellent sound

sometimes I hookup straight to DAC and skip Etir and enjoys the beautiful sound of a real Tube dac with Siemens old -63 tubes :)
Transparent digital is far the best cabels i have used

Previously used Supra, Nordost, Furutech

• FelipeRolim likes this

I'm listening to the music , not gear
Sound says more than numbers.

Xeon CAPS- Heavily upgraded Schiit EITR- EAR Yoshino DAC- EAR Yoshino Pre Amp- EAR Yoshino AMP- Speakers

#16 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

In my current dual Jplay setup I only have JCAT cables. The finest is the Signature LAN. Previously I have used PPA, Pachanko, AudioQuest and Supra from last to the first. I experienced the sound improvement at the same order.

• Marcin_gps, FelipeRolim and Jogar like this

AudioPC: Intel S1200V3RPS, Intel Xeon E3-1230LV3, Apacer AP2GITETLQ1K3 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC, JCAT USB Card Femto,
JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto

ControlPC: Intel S1200KPR, Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2, Apacer 75.A83EE.G000C 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC (for Windows), SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRAFS-NR (for WAV-files),

JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto, JCAT Signature LAN Cable

Software: Windows Server 2019 Standard, Total Commander 9.21a, JPLAY 7 Femto, Audiophile Optimizer 3.00, Upplay 1.4.1

Audio equipment: JCAT Reference USB Cable, Harmony Design Pre 906, Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 with Furutech Rhodium XLR, Sennheiser HD800

#17 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:43 PM

What Audioquest LAN Ethernet Cable did you have (Vodka? Diamond?)?

For my part, actually, I have an Audioquest Vodka.

#18 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:27 PM

Sorry, in my post I meant digitally cable overall, not only LAN cables. Regarding AudioQuest I have used USB Cinnamon, USB Coffee and Falcon AES/EBU. These became later replaced with PPA "grey" and "red" which in my opinion sounded better, and also was cheaper.

But remember, as already stated, cables are VERY MUCH system dependent. And my system now and then is very different. Also some of my older cables now are gone, so it's hard for me to make more current comparisons.

• Marcin_gps and FelipeRolim like this

AudioPC: Intel S1200V3RPS, Intel Xeon E3-1230LV3, Apacer AP2GITETLQ1K3 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC, JCAT USB Card Femto,
JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto

ControlPC: Intel S1200KPR, Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2, Apacer 75.A83EE.G000C 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC (for Windows), SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRAFS-NR (for WAV-files),

JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto, JCAT Signature LAN Cable

Software: Windows Server 2019 Standard, Total Commander 9.21a, JPLAY 7 Femto, Audiophile Optimizer 3.00, Upplay 1.4.1

Audio equipment: JCAT Reference USB Cable, Harmony Design Pre 906, Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 with Furutech Rhodium XLR, Sennheiser HD800

#19 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:48 AM

Ok many thanks for your clarifications, Tomslin.

#20 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:24 PM

Nobudy, I really want to listen this Transparent Reference USB. Have you ever had the opportunity to compare it with some other cable?

I still think the Curious USB isn't limiting my system, but I can certainly improve the LAN cable. Has anyone done comparisons with some cables and could describe the level of performance and the way they play? For now, I plan to spend $100.00 to get a referral. From this cable (I intend to find some with natural, relaxed sonority) is that I intend to do comparisons with higher models.

Does anyone have any recommendations and could you describe the sonority of the cables you've heard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users