• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 raylinds

raylinds

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:04 PM

I am interested in building a PC based music server system.  Because my primary format for music listening is vinyl, I am not interested in high resolution music files.  My DAC is an Audio Note dac that only accepts redbook 16 bit 44.1 music playback via an RCA SPDIF connection- no USB.

I have been doing a lot of reading on this site and everything I am reading references USB interfaces.  My question is will I be able to get the most from JPLAY with this setup?  I am willing to set up a 2 PC system and am interested in getting the best CD quality sound that I can.

Thanks,

Ray

#2 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

Hi Ray and welcome! :)

Yes, you just need to use a USB-S/PDIF converter. I'd recommend getting a USB-S/PDIF converter which uses TheSycon driver  which allows for buffer adjustment. Singxer is one example. 

Regards, 

Marcin

• raylinds likes this

#3 MINORISUKE

MINORISUKE

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:18 AM

I also recommend the newcomer Gustard U16, especially with an external 10MHz clock of either ultra low phase noise OCXO or rubidium. See the Head-fi thread.
  • raylinds likes this

#4 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:32 AM

"Because my primary format for music listening is vinyl, I am not interested in high resolution music files"

Then I highly recommend Schiit Eitr

https://www.schiit.com/products/eitr

• Thuan likes this

I'm listening to the music , not gear
Sound says more than numbers

#5 ho5456

ho5456

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:07 AM

I also recommend the newcomer Gustard U16, especially with an external 10MHz clock of either ultra low phase noise OCXO or rubidium. See the Head-fi thread.

Can you recommend a clock, Minorisuke?  They seem to be quite....... pricey. :ph34r:

Sources: nuc7i7DNHE x2, Gustard U16, RME ADI-2 DAC, Technics SP10.  (Pre)Amps: Dave Slagle AVC, Denon PMA-1600ne, Transducers: Tannoy Berkeley (HPD 385A), JBL L96/ LSR25P/ 6328P. SVS SB12-NSD, Beyer DT1990, Echo TDS-16 (ortho)  Power: ATL balanced power Isolation Transformer, ATL starquad AC cables, various PSU's. LT3045, LT1963 etc.

music is love 

#6 raylinds

raylinds

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:27 AM

"Because my primary format for music listening is vinyl, I am not interested in high resolution music files"

Then I highly recommend Schiit Eitr

https://www.schiit.com/products/eitr

I appreciate you trying to help, but have heard all the schiit dacs and they can't compare to the Audio Note dacs. Have you actually heard an AN DAC? So it sounds like JPlay doesn't really work with SPDIF, I have no issues with using a converter.

#7 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:03 AM

I appreciate you trying to help, but have heard all the schiit dacs and they can't compare to the Audio Note dacs. Have you actually heard an AN DAC? So it sounds like JPlay doesn't really work with SPDIF, I have no issues with using a converter.

Schiit Eitr is a USB/SPDIF converter !!

not a dac !

and yes I have heard AudioNote DACs

"So it sounds like JPlay doesn't really work with SPDIF"

Of course it does
Jplay has nothing to do with the type of output you use

• Marcin_gps likes this

I'm listening to the music , not gear
Sound says more than numbers

#8 RAP

RAP

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:31 AM

And the Schiit eitr does a great job at converting. It is better sounding then my USB M2Tech Hiface2 in my Metrum Jade DAC.

• Marcin_gps likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users