#1 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

Hi,

As I’ve yet explained on this forum, I’m obliged to use Roon because I’m doing active Room correction with 4 paths convolution filters from Home Audio Fidelity.
So, until these last days, I wasn’t able to use JPLAYFEMTO with Roon because it doesn’t support uPnP and it will never support it.
Anyway, I was very happy with Roon + JPlay 7 Classic drivers on my system with, among other things, a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 v2SE 10th anniversary.
SQ was yet excellent.
For two weeks ago, after discover it, I decided to take a look at a software package named LMS-to-uPnP developed by a Canadian Philippe44.
In the package, exactly in the Bin folder of this package, there is an app squeeze2upnp and if you want to use it with Windows specifically squeeze2upnp-win.exe which is a 32bits app for Windows.
To get squeeze2upnp working with Roon you just have to enable squeezebox in the configuration settings of Roon and squee2upnp is recognized as a squeezebox by Roon when you run squeeze2upnp. Quite simple….
My first attempts were not totally successful as I was able to play some tracks from Roon to JPLAYFEMTO with promising things concerning SQ but the first track of an album or a playlist was each time truncated by the first one or two seconds and the worst thing DSD tracks were played with loops, dropout, stuttering etc…. Too bad!!!
So, I decided to contact Philippe on one side and Marcin on the other.
With the help of both and the different debug logs, Philippe and Marcin have finally discovered what was wrong.
I will not tell you the whole story 😉
I just want to thankful Marcin for his explanations concerning some behaviors of JPLAYFEMTO and Philippe who has made a great job on his squeeze2upnp after Marcin comments on the problem. 
So, till yesterday, now it is possible to get Roon works with JPLAYFEMTO with audio files up to 192kHz and DSD via DoP.

If you are interested, I will post a little tutorial to get it work. ;)

On the other hand, in the same time EJ Sarmento from Wyred 4 Sound offered me to try an improved version (not the definitive which will have upgraded drivers and firmware) of the drivers for my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 v2Se 10th Anniversary. I’ve hastily tested this improved version, of course. :D
With this improved driver, I can set latency and ASIO buffer via a control panel which was impossible before.
Result, now I can set a DAC link of 1000 without problem.
I can certify you with this configuration SQ as reach another big step ahead to realism on my HIFI system.
The sound is richer, very natural, closed to reality with good recordings.That's impressive!!!
The sound is more detailed but not a kind of analytic sound with brightness and thinness. No, the sound is plain, meaty, analogue. I’m impressed by the basses which are now very fast, tight and powerful and even deep and more melodic than before. I’ve never heard such basses on my system.
I’ve compared Roon + squeeze2upnp + JPLAYFEMTO  to Roon with Classic driver with the same DAC link of 1000 and but 700 too but the SQ doesn’t go so far in richness, realism, details and basses and sound textures are not as good as JPLAYFEMTO.

DC

• Marcin_gps, thuanb, Nobi and 1 other like this

#2 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:31 PM

Feel great to hear your success story.
Dual PC, WS2019 Standard, JPLAY Femto, AO3 Beta, 1A/2D, KS/US/1000Hz/Hibernate, BubbleUPnP.

#3 brunohegy

brunohegy

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Locationfrance alsace

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:21 AM

bjr ... I would be interresser, if you had a tutorial would be great thank you to you

#4 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

Hi,

I  post here a little tutorial but it is a little bit difficult to do because it can differ depending on whether you are using Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 Core, for example.

First you need to download LMS-to-uPnP here and, more precisely, the latest version named UPnPBridge-1.8.2.2.zip.

Unzip the zip file downloaded in an easily reachable location on the hard disk (for example C:\UPnPBridge-1.8.2.2\)

Then go to the bin directory of this package in this case: C:\UPnPBridge-1.8.2.2\Bin\

The Windows application we're interested in is called "squeeze2upnp-win.exe"

It should not be launched immediately as a config.xml file will miss it.

So, for the first launch, it is necessary to create a config.xml file.

To do this, open a DOS cmd command prompt as admin in Windows 7 or 8 or, in the latest versions of Windows 10, you can open Windows Powershell (admin) by right-clicking on the Windows logo at the bottom left and the type "cmd" in the Powershell Window.

Then in the cmd prompt, type the following command line:

c:\UPnPBridge-1.8.2.2\Bin\squeeze2upnp-win.exe -i config.xml

(To be adapted according to where UPnPBridge-1.8.2.2.zip was decompressed)

A config.xml file will be created in the bin folder and squeeze2upnp will close itself after about 30 seconds.

Then you have to edit the config.xml file with Notepad, for example.

In case of use with Roon and JPLAYFEMTO there is not much to do except find the line <roon_mode>0</roon_mode> and replace the 0 by a 1.

Then run squeeze2upnp-win.exe.

It is obviously necessary to ensure that the JPLAYFEMTO service is active.

In  Settings -> "Setup" in Roon, you must activate the Squeezebox support.

You should then find in Settings -> "Audio" the audio device corresponding to JPLAYFEMTO in the list of audio devices on "Squeezebox" and simply activate it.

Then choose the corresponding playing zone in Roon and start playing some tracks by crossing your fingers to make it work.
It works for me on Windows Server Core 2016 + Ao2.20 + Fidelizer 8.3, I hope it will work for you.  ;)
By the way in the case of Windows Server 2016 Core, for example, it is a little bit more complicated to implement.

The best thing to do is to use an explorer like Total Commander to make things easier.

In particular, the command line "c:\UPnPBridge-1.8.2.2\Bin\squeeze2upnp-win.exe -i config.xml" does not seem to generate a config.xml file with Windows Server 2016 Core, at least.

It's the reason why Total Commander was useful to me because I was able to create a squeeze2upnp-win.exe shortcut in which I put  c:\UPnPBridge-1.8.2.2\Bin\squeeze2upnp-win.exe -i config.xml as target in the properties of the shortcut  and, in this case, the config.xml file was created.

A detailed html documentation on the use of squeeze2upnp is in c:\UPnPBridge-1.8.8.2.2\HTML\EN\plugins\UPnPBridge\
Personally, I start squeeze2upnp-win.exe automatically at startup via Fidelizer 8.3 but it should also be possible to start it at Windows startup by placing a shortcut in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\".

I hope that these explanations will help.

I will answer any questions to the best of my knowledge, of course.

DC

• jmudrick and stiefel like this

#5 brunohegy

brunohegy

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Locationfrance alsace

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

SUPER ... thank you to you dominique it works for me with server 2019 only bemole I listen that the dsd 128 and UPNP transforms me into flac what to listen for native or dop thank you in advance ....

#6 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:24 AM

To answer to brunohegy and for more precisions

I've forgotten some info about the configuration in config.xml about the resolution.

In the config.xml file, locate the line <sample_rate>48000</sample_rate> and replace 48000 by 192000.

Normally as I've understood, native DSD playback is not possible with Roon + squeeze2upnp + JPLAYFEMTO at the moment unless you use ASIO instead of Kernel streaming in JPLAY settings but the SQ is still less good with ASIO.

With JPLAYFEMTO DSD playing is via DoP with Kernel Streaming anyway (see manual).

I quote the corresponding excerpt from the manual here:

"Supported Audio Formats: FLAC, WAV, DSD DoP 64/128/256 (via KS & WASAPI), DSD Native up to 256 (via ASIO), AIFF, ALAC, M4A, MP3, WMA

DSD playback: KS/WASAPI will use DoP up to DSD256. ASIO will always use DSD Native (RAW) up to DSD256."

On the other hand, since the resolution is limited to 192000hz in Squeeze2upnp, I'm not sure that reading DSD128 files is directly possible. I think we should limit it to DSD64 in Roon but I haven't tried playing DSD128 at home to confirm or not.

Something else important, when configuring the audio device corresponding to JPLAYFEMTO in Roon, remember to disable the flac compression if it is enabled.

DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users