Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

Here's a part list of what I plan to build:

MB: Asrock IMB-191 Gigabyte GA-110TN-GSM Plus

CPU: i3-6100T or i5-6500T i3-7100T

Storage: Samsung 970 960 MSATA EVO 250gb

OS: 2016 Server Desktop (won't attempt to do core) (standard or essential?)

USB card: Matrix Element H X-HI PCIe

PSU: ZeroZone R-Core 20v 4amp for MB

PSU: ZeroZone R-Core 5v 2amp ifi iPower 12v 1.8amp for USB card

Optomizers: Fidelizer Pro and Jplay with Virtual Audio Cable  (I am curious about ramdisk)

Case: NCase N1

Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 Passive

Here's what I am not sure of.  How do I connect to internet?  The PC won't be close to my router/modem.  So, do I use USB wifi adapter or something else?

Any issues? 

I suspect some would wonder why I am using a thin client MB. Well, I already have the linear PSU.  I don't want to buy an ATX PSU.  Plus, my current PC is a Lenovo m700 which did benefit from the PSU.  So, I am assuming the IMB191 will benefit from the same PSU.  And, this one of a few thin client MB that has PCIe.  I need at least one for the USB card.  I would love another for USB C in case I want to use a portable touch screen monitor.

And, I couldn't find any reviews on the USB card.  It's cheaper than JCAT's Femto.

Here's how I will be using the PC.  99% of the time I will be streaming either from Tital or youtube.  So, I need a good internet connection.  Very rarely will I use my own music that I've ripped to external USB3.0 notebook drive.

Rest of my system includes:

Amp: Fisher KX100

DAC: Metrum Amythest

Speaker: Altec 601c

Note:  I am too stupid get dual pc setup to perform reliably and dunno how to connect two PCs together via lan.  So, for now, stuck using single pc set up.

• Galenfeex, BrantNags and Ridgekex like this

#2 ThuanB

ThuanB

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:49 PM

Instead of USB wifi adapter, I'd use FMC (Fiber Media Converter). Will need a pair of Gigabit Ethernet FMCs plus fiber cables that are SQ beneficial and affordable.

Don't have to be stuck using singlePC unless you choose to. DualPC is more cost, painful sometimes but definitely more fun. JPLAY Manual is an excellent place to start reading. Must be a very good reason a JPLAY FEMTO license covers 2 PCs.
WS2019 Datacenter Core, Dual PC, AO3 Beta 36 - 1A/2D, JPLAY Femto - KS/US/1000Hz/Hibernate, BubbleUPnP.

#3 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:50 AM

hmmm I still need to run a cable from the other room where my modem is at if I use the FMC, right?  albeit a fiber channel instead of ethernet cable...  just having a cable go through my living room is not very practical for me...

#4 ThuanB

ThuanB

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:18 AM

Fiber cables are thin, much less obtrusive, affordable and provide network isolation. On the other hand, wifi appears more convenient even elegant, but SQ and reliability won't be as good. Or, you could use power line adapters. Or better yet, use [Ubiquity] access point.
WS2019 Datacenter Core, Dual PC, AO3 Beta 36 - 1A/2D, JPLAY Femto - KS/US/1000Hz/Hibernate, BubbleUPnP.

#5 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:52 AM

Power line adapters... that might make it easier for me to do dual pc set up.

This one has two ethernet ports.  I could connect both control and audio PC into this.... and even stupid me can get dual pc set up running reliably... maybe

or, if I have a pair of these power line adapters, I could plug the control PC into one and the audio PC into the other.  This way, the audio pc doesn't need an internet connection.... right?

#6 ThuanB

ThuanB

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:50 AM

AudioPC and controlPC are connected directly by Ethernet cable using static IP addresses. Only controlPC, on its second network card, is connected to home network.

Power line adapters, while seemingly convenient, will actually hurt SQ.

#7 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:18 AM

initally, i was able to connect audio and control pc via wifi.  but, this was unstable.  connecting both pcs to the same router or powerline connection should be the same but with better stability.

i somehow just can't figure out how to connect audio control pc via ethernet directly.

#8 ThuanB

ThuanB

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:24 AM

Read Marcin's blog "JPLAY dual PC mode: how it works & why you need it" posted September 27, 2017.

#9 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:33 AM

I had a hard time finding the Asrock IMB-191.  After some searching, I found the Gigabyte GA-110TN-GSM Plus as an alternative.

Also, I decided to go with i3-7100T Kaby Lake instead of Skylake because the Kaby as a slightly larger RAM bandwidth and slightly better integrated graphics (just in case I use this pc for something other than audio in the future).

Still looking at a good/clean way to connect the PC to the internet.  Thinking something like this.  I am hoping since this has two lan ports maybe it can operate as a router to connect two PCs together since I am too dumb to connect two PCs together directly via ethernet.

Regarding OS, should I go with Server Essential or Standard?  I am guessing Essential (just like my cell phone).

#10 ThuanB

ThuanB

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:14 AM

If dualPC sounds too intimidating, why not start with a decent singlePC? My controlPC is also a Kaby. What's your goal? If you're after good SQ and streaming, seriously consider a JCAT Femto netcard and USB. If affordability is priority, a motherboard with dual network adapters will do.

I've yet to use Essential Server but lots of people do and have no complaints. Regarding internet connection, keep in mind wifi seems convenient but is unstable. You make your choice.

#11 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:15 PM

I need a 12v psu for the usb pcie card.  Which would you use?

https://www.amazon.c...VQ7SN6URD&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com...353.m1438.l2649

One less powecord if going with ifi.  But, that ifi will probably take up more than one AC receptacle.

#12 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:16 PM

Also, I already installed a msata wifi card in the pc.  I could use this instead though...

https://www.amazon.c...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

#13 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

I need a 12v psu for the usb pcie card.  Which would you use?

https://www.amazon.c...VQ7SN6URD&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com...353.m1438.l2649

One less powecord if going with ifi.  But, that ifi will probably take up more than one AC receptacle.

btw - which usb card requires 12V PSU?

#14 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:44 PM

btw - which usb card requires 12V PSU?

This one.

https://www.matrix-d...oducts/310.html

It accepts 9-12v.

#15 Rob

Rob

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationStamford, England.

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

Hi, l have a matrix usb card for sale if your interested, also on the subject of power supplies for it l wouldn’t choose the ifi unit myself as it is a switching power supply and emits emi and rfi that may effect other equipment.
Regards Rob.

#16 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

Hi, l have a matrix usb card for sale if your interested, also on the subject of power supplies for it l wouldn’t choose the ifi unit myself as it is a switching power supply and emits emi and rfi that may effect other equipment.
Regards Rob.

I already purchased the card.  Might I ask why you are selling?

I had the same reservation about the ipower being switching but lots of reviews claim it's as good or better than linear.

#17 Rob

Rob

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

Hi, mainly because l’m not using it, but I will put it back in again and see how it sounds, interestingly last time l listened to it in my system the sound balance was the same as the standard usb output just a cleaner more precise but that was without an off board power supply.
Regards Rob.

#18 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:26 AM

So, I decided to get the 12v ifi ipower.

Reasons:

1) https://audiophilest...t-lps-and-smps/

2) it's not a component like a LPS hence won't be taking up any space on my rack.

3) no need for another power cable

4) i got amazon points to spend

5) i have some more pc parts to buy on amazon

6) free shipping vs $25 to ship from China

Rob, you should probably get one to try out for yourself.

• ThuanB likes this

#19 Rob

Rob

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

Hi etane, no need as l build my own linear power supplies. At the moment working on a new multi rail supply for my new audio pc, I liked the article you posted, and the theory behind the ifi ipower (negative feed back to cancel noise) as in an amplifier. Ripple values can be improved by better smoothing arrangements and components, for example the circuits for LT1083 as posted by Linear Technology on their site are the mimium requirement for the circuit to work, not the best circuit design, and it seems that the cheaper end of the market uses these.
Regards Rob.

#20 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:10 AM

Rob, did you have to do anything to get the Matrix card to work?  Mine doesn't seem to work.  Using internal power source for now.  The TI driver is recognized in device manager.  Not sure where to go from here. 

Wish I knew how to build my own PSU...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users