• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:24 PM

Long time user of jplay and finally got a spare pc to try dual pc.  I had jplay installed on the spare pc which I am now using as audio pc.  It's a lenovo m700 and I replaced the wall wart with a linear PSU.  Jplay couldn't connect to ip no matter what I did even when using in single pc mode.  So, I reformatted and reinstalled jplay, and jplay worked.

I then tried to ping the audio pc with my control pc.  Timed out.  So, I added a jplay tcp 48168 port on control pc's firewall and added the audio pc's ip address (192.168.0.25) to the control pc's regedit. 

I initially used foobar with jplay output.  And, I got music playing on the audio pc.  I then installed ASIO bridge on control pc to stream youtube music to audio pc.  And, this worked for about 30 minutes.  However, the music would drop out here and there.  Until, it finally lost connection permanently.  I couldn't ping audio pc anymore either.

I think the only thing I might've done to cause the connection break is me installing displaylink driver onto audio PC.  I've since uninstalled it.  Since I can't use dual pc, I have also installed ASIO bridge on the audio PC, so I could stream youtube in single pc mode.  Do I have to uninstall ASIO bridge on audio PC in order to use dual pc?

I've since fiddled around a bit more but still couldn't get it to work again.

I turned off the audio pc's firewall for both public and private network.  Now, I can ping the audio pc with my control pc. But, I can't ping the control pc with my audio pc.

So, I started playing around with host ip addresses which I later read I shouldn't do.  I think my control PC's host IP address was originally 168.254.30.247 in regedit.  However, my ipv4 is 192.168.0.19.  So, I changed the host ip address from the 168.254.30.247 to 192.168.0.19.  I then ping control pc 192.168.0.19 with audio pc but it timed out. I then changed to ip address 168.254.30.247 and pined it with the audio pic, and it replies "reply from 192.168.0.19. Destination host unreachable". 

That's where I am at.  Any help is appreciated.  If nothing else, I am going to reformat the audio pc again.

Thanks.

#2 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:14 AM

i forgot to mention that jplay setting on control pc does find the audio pc.  but, when i play music either via foobar or youtube, i am not getting any sound on the audio pc side.

after reading the forum more, i think i should just uninstall asio bridge on audio side.

#3 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

update.  I reformatted my audio pc.  Installed jplay intel version and firefox nothing else.  turned off firewall (that's not an issue for audio pc right?) i can play music via foobar with jplay output on control pc and get music on the audio pc side.  but, audio pc is not getting any sound when i use ASIO bridge on the control pc side.

update again.  fiddled around with ASIO bridge and it's working.  problem solved.. for now.

#4 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:29 PM

i was using a thinkvision USB portable monitor with my audio pc.  somehow, i can't get my audio pc to boot up and get into windows without at least entering a pin.  so, i need a monitor when booting up.  so, i got the portable monitor just for this purpose.  however, i think dual pc doesn't work after i install displaylink which is required for an USB monitor.  this software is probably an "audio attachment" which shouldn't be installed on audio pc so i've read.

so, though things are working now, i only have the audio pc hooked up to my TV and not to my hifi yet.  after my new monitor arrives today from amazon, i will get the audio pc hooked up to the hifi.  however, i am weary whether it will drop signal and disconnect again after i do move the audio pc over to hifi. 

so, on the control pc, the jplay settings are in default setting.  if it is the dac not behaving with jplay, what setting should i set on jplay?  i have a metrum amethyst.  if anyone has the same or similar dac, please let me know what your settings are.

for reference, my control pc is an alienware alpha r1 with windows 10 pro i7-4765 12gb.  the audio pc is thinkcentre m700 with windows 10 home i3-6100t 4gb.

#5 etane

etane

Beginner

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:16 AM

So, now my jplay driver on control pc stopped.  I rebooted.  Still (stopped).  At least that's what ASIO bridge ways.

Before it fully stopped, I was playing around with daclink and pcbuffer because I couldn't get the sound to not drop out and outright stop playing.

Tomorrow, I will use crossover ethernet instead of wifi.

so, maybe my problem wasn't that i had displaylink installed?

#6 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:17 AM

I'd definitely try with a wired LAN. Wifi is not well suited for connection between Control PC and Audio PC. 

Let us know how it goes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users