10 replies to this topic

#1 TJHUB

TJHUB

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:07 AM

I’m hoping one of you computer gurus can help me. To make a long story short, I’ve been running WS2016 core mode with AO, JPLAY, and Foobar2000. My SPDIF converter died, so I’m back to running my single PC USB direct to my Eastern Electric Minimax DAC Plus. My problem is I can’t get JPLAY to see my DAC driver in WS2016. The DAC driver never sees the DAC and it never shows up in Device Manager. WS2012 core mode works perfectly, but 2012 doesn’t sound like 2016...

I think the issue is that my DAC driver hasn’t been updated since 2011, and is a Windows 7 driver. Does anyone know of a way I might get this to work? Some compatibility mode? Or maybe some install process I may not have tried yet?

Thanks.
JPLAY 6 Setup: Single PC (Intel S1200KPR/XEON based), Windows Server 2016 Core, AudiophileOptimizer 2.20b6, JPLAY 6.2, Classic engine (DAC Link = 1Hz, PC Buffer = 10 Seconds, Foobar2000 with ASIO output to JPLAY 6.2. Motherboard USB port to Paul Pang Red USB cable into an iFI iPure 2 USB into a DXIO Pro3z SPDIF converter. HD-Plex linear power supply powering PC, OS (2.5” HDD), and spdif converter. DAC is an Eastern Electric DAC Plus (modified). Synology DS213 NAS with WAV library stored locally on NAS. iPad Air with MonkeyMote for remote control.

#2 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:14 AM

I’m hoping one of you computer gurus can help me. To make a long story short, I’ve been running WS2016 core mode with AO, JPLAY, and Foobar2000. My SPDIF converter died, so I’m back to running my single PC USB direct to my Eastern Electric Minimax DAC Plus. My problem is I can’t get JPLAY to see my DAC driver in WS2016. The DAC driver never sees the DAC and it never shows up in Device Manager. WS2012 core mode works perfectly, but 2012 doesn’t sound like 2016...

I think the issue is that my DAC driver hasn’t been updated since 2011, and is a Windows 7 driver. Does anyone know of a way I might get this to work? Some compatibility mode? Or maybe some install process I may not have tried yet?

Thanks.

Hi TJHUB,

I’m assuming that you were using an SPDIF converter-specific driver previously so your suggestion that the Windows 7-specific Minimax Plus driver might be at fault seems reasonable. Drivers (I do not know the supported OSs) are available for the Minimax Supreme and Junior models, but apparently not for the Minimax. One of those drivers might work, so it would be worthwhile contacting Eastern Electric about this issue.

In the meantime, some more info on what you have done so far might help others suggest possibilities to try. Have you:

1. reinstalled WS2016, JPLAY, AO etc?

2. tried WS2016 in GUI mode to see if the problem is specific to core mode?

3. reinstalled the Minimax driver following Audiophil’s recommended procedures for installation in WS2016 core mode?

Cheers,

Bernie

Control and Audio PCs

Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptops with Intel Core i7-3612QM (2.1 GHz) and 16 (Control-PC) or 8 (Audio-PC) Gb DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

Software

OS: Windows Server 2016 optimized via Fidelizer Pro 8.1 (Audio-PC only), Process Lasso Server Edition 9.0.0.478, Audiophile Optimizer 2.20, Computer Audio Design Windows 8.1 Optimization and Desktop Services Killer scripts to Virtual Core Mode on Control-PC and Audio-PC (https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing); File Manager: Q-Dir 7.18; Library Manager: JRiver MC19; Renderer: JPLAY 6.2 with ULTRAstream engine in JPLAYStreamer mode; Server: Minimserver 0.8.5.2 update 124 with Avconv transcoding; Control Point: Kinsky 4.4.5 / Upplay 1.2.11; Optional Media Players for testing JPLAY ASIO: Bughead 7.27, Winyl 3.3

Equipment Configuration

Control-PC > SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC > Chord Silver Plus USB Cable > Uptone Audio Regen (Amber) > Curious Cable USB Regen Link > Luxman DA-06 > Chord Chameleon Plus XLR Interconnects > Luxman L-505u > Van Den Hul Teatrack Speaker Cables > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers with external crossovers

Music Storage

Seagate 6-Tb plus Seagate 3-Tb ext HDDs (USB to Control PC) and 2x Seagate 6-Tb plus 3-Tb ext HDD backups

#3 TJHUB

TJHUB

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:23 AM

Hi TJHUB,

I’m assuming that you were using an SPDIF converter-specific driver previously so your suggestion that the Windows 7-specific Minimax Plus driver might be at fault seems reasonable. Drivers (I do not know the supported OSs) are available for the Minimax Supreme and Junior models, but apparently not for the Minimax. One of those drivers might work, so it would be worthwhile contacting Eastern Electric about this issue.

In the meantime, some more info on what you have done so far might help others suggest possibilities to try. Have you:

1. reinstalled WS2016, JPLAY, AO etc?

2. tried WS2016 in GUI mode to see if the problem is specific to core mode?

3. reinstalled the Minimax driver following Audiophil’s recommended procedures for installation in WS2016 core mode?

Cheers,

Bernie

Thanks for the response Bernie.

The SPDIF converter had new drivers always available, so I had no issues using any of them with WS2016.  I'm certain contacting Eastern Electric will be useless, but I will look into it.  I did not consider trying any of the newer DAC's drivers as I'm certain they use a much newer USB input card.  

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, multiple times.

2. No, but I might try that.

3. I think yes, as I have tried installing the driver about 30 different ways.  To be honest, I'm not sure I know Phil's recommended procedure for installing drivers.  If it's install it, and re-install it using the driver helper in service tool, then I have done it more times than I'm willing to admit. 

For the record, I put in far too much time trying to get this to work before desperately going back to WS2012.  At the time, I thought more than the SPDIF converter died, but it was the SPDIF converter and Ifi USB Purifier were the only actual dead items.  I just really want to go back to WS2016.  Once you've heard it, you can't go back to anything else...

JPLAY 6 Setup: Single PC (Intel S1200KPR/XEON based), Windows Server 2016 Core, AudiophileOptimizer 2.20b6, JPLAY 6.2, Classic engine (DAC Link = 1Hz, PC Buffer = 10 Seconds, Foobar2000 with ASIO output to JPLAY 6.2. Motherboard USB port to Paul Pang Red USB cable into an iFI iPure 2 USB into a DXIO Pro3z SPDIF converter. HD-Plex linear power supply powering PC, OS (2.5” HDD), and spdif converter. DAC is an Eastern Electric DAC Plus (modified). Synology DS213 NAS with WAV library stored locally on NAS. iPad Air with MonkeyMote for remote control.

#4 minra

minra

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:00 AM

3. I think yes, as I have tried installing the driver about 30 different ways.  To be honest, I'm not sure I know Phil's recommended procedure for installing drivers.  If it's install it, and re-install it using the driver helper in service tool, then I have done it more times than I'm willing to admit. 

Hi TJHUB,

Have you tried to connect spdif converter to another USB port and install drivers then?  Once i had the same problem when i changed spdif converter, and it helped for me.

Reset AO, install drivers with AO Driver Helper, restart windows, run optimizer to install kernel support, no KS? - repeated couple times, until worked.

Also there is method to Disable driver signing, reboot with F8 and select boot without driver signing and then installing drivers.

• thuanb likes this

#5 TJHUB

TJHUB

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

Hi TJHUB,

Have you tried to connect spdif converter to another USB port and install drivers then?  Once i had the same problem when i changed spdif converter, and it helped for me.

Reset AO, install drivers with AO Driver Helper, restart windows, run optimizer to install kernel support, no KS? - repeated couple times, until worked.

Also there is method to Disable driver signing, reboot with F8 and select boot without driver signing and then installing drivers.

My SPDIF converter is completely dead. I’ve tried it on multiple computers, and will will not be recognized by any computer.

I have been using AO and JPLAY since early on, and I know most of the tricks to get things to work. I’ve tried what you suggested maybe 50 or 60 times with no luck. This is the first time I haven’t been able to get things to work, but it’s also the first time I’m trying to use this old driver with WS2016.

I don’t understand the driver signing thing, but I will look into it.

Thanks!

#6 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:35 PM

My SPDIF converter is completely dead. I’ve tried it on multiple computers, and will will not be recognized by any computer.

I have been using AO and JPLAY since early on, and I know most of the tricks to get things to work. I’ve tried what you suggested maybe 50 or 60 times with no luck. This is the first time I haven’t been able to get things to work, but it’s also the first time I’m trying to use this old driver with WS2016.

I don’t understand the driver signing thing, but I will look into it.

Thanks!

It seems like a hardware issue. Sth must have failed in the S/PDIF converter

#7 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:56 AM

It seems like a hardware issue. Sth must have failed in the S/PDIF converter

Since the S/PDIF died, TJHUB has been trying to run his DAC directly to his PC. The problem is that the DAC driver and WS2016 core seem to be incompatible, possibly because of the age of the driver which was developed for Windows 7. Given the herculean effort he's expended to try to make the connection workable, in order to continue using WS2016 in core mode another S/PDIF converter or DAC may be required.

Control and Audio PCs

Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptops with Intel Core i7-3612QM (2.1 GHz) and 16 (Control-PC) or 8 (Audio-PC) Gb DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

Software

OS: Windows Server 2016 optimized via Fidelizer Pro 8.1 (Audio-PC only), Process Lasso Server Edition 9.0.0.478, Audiophile Optimizer 2.20, Computer Audio Design Windows 8.1 Optimization and Desktop Services Killer scripts to Virtual Core Mode on Control-PC and Audio-PC (https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing); File Manager: Q-Dir 7.18; Library Manager: JRiver MC19; Renderer: JPLAY 6.2 with ULTRAstream engine in JPLAYStreamer mode; Server: Minimserver 0.8.5.2 update 124 with Avconv transcoding; Control Point: Kinsky 4.4.5 / Upplay 1.2.11; Optional Media Players for testing JPLAY ASIO: Bughead 7.27, Winyl 3.3

Equipment Configuration

Control-PC > SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC > Chord Silver Plus USB Cable > Uptone Audio Regen (Amber) > Curious Cable USB Regen Link > Luxman DA-06 > Chord Chameleon Plus XLR Interconnects > Luxman L-505u > Van Den Hul Teatrack Speaker Cables > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers with external crossovers

Music Storage

Seagate 6-Tb plus Seagate 3-Tb ext HDDs (USB to Control PC) and 2x Seagate 6-Tb plus 3-Tb ext HDD backups

#8 TJHUB

TJHUB

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

Just to update this thread, I was able to easily install my DAC driver on WS2016 GUI.
  • Marcin_gps likes this

#9 AudioDoc

AudioDoc

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:14 PM

This may be off-topic for this thread, but didn't want to start a new one just for this post, maybe other JPlayers may want to start one about other members sound after visiting and listening.

I had the opportunity to visit ThuanB home this week while on a trip to the West Coast (San Francisco) and listen to his amazing setup.

His sound has so much details and presentation that is is absolutely fantastic, one could sit and listen to it for hours.

Their hospitality was first class, his wife is an amazing cook, I have never had Vietnamese food as wonderful as I had at their home.

Music, hospitality and food definitely First Class!! 

• Marcin_gps and taxman2 like this
Music Server:
Streacom ST-FC5WS-Evo, Intel Core I7-4770t Quad Core , 16 GB RAM, PPA V4 USB Sound Card, ASUS H87M-E Motherboard with PPA Clock Upgrade, Samsung 850 Pro 2 TB SSD (Music) Samsung 850 Pro 128GB (O/S and Applications), Windows 2016 Core,
Silver wire upgrade in PC where possible
Power supplies:
TeraDak Dual Rail Linear PSU, TeraDak LPSU for RUR
Equipment:
Mutec MC-3+ USB, B.M.C. PureDAC MK II, Wyred4Sound RUR, Sanders Magtech Power Amplifier, Magneplanar 3.6R speakers, (modified), Pair of Vandersteen 2Wq Sub Woofers,
iFi DC iPurifier (connected to Wyred4Sound RUR), iFi iPurifier2 (connected to B.M.C. PureDAC)
Cables:
Speakers: Pachanko Signature 3 meters Bi-wire (Speakers).
Power: Pachanko "Reference" power cables (for B.M.C. PureDac and TeraDak LPSU), Pachanko Signature (for Magtech Power Amplifier) 
USB: Pachanko "Absolution" Dual-Head USB,
SATA: Pachanko "Pure Reference SATA" (O/S and Music drives),
Interconnects: Pachanko XLR "Signature (PureDAC MK II => Magtech Amp), Pachanko RUR Link for W4S, Pachanko AES/EBU
Software:
Audio Phil Optimizer, JPlay, Fidelizer Pro, HySolid 2.0, Process Lasso
Accessories:
Cruze First Audio Power outlets

#10 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

Thank you for your kind comments :).  By the way, the tweak of grounding the DAC to nearest AC outlet really works nicely.  Let me share this with others in case they haven't known it.

Leon told me to find an old telephone copper core/strand, screw one end to the DAC's rear, screw the other end to the near AC outlet.  I don't have any such telephone core in the house, so I use a CAT5 copper strand.  I feel the SQ improves nicely.  He also advised me not to ground too many devices such as music server, etc. to the same point (which I did mistakenly at first), otherwise ground loop would happen.  One more little step to better SQ to me, thank you Leon.      

• Marcin_gps likes this
SinglePC: Windows 2016 GUI or Core + MinimServer + local music library, AO + JPLAY Streamer + BubbleUPnP
Control point: BubbleDS

Alternatively: SinglePC WS2016 core + local music library + AO + JPLAY + JplayMini or
SinglePC WS2016 core + local music library + AO + JPLAY + Foobar2000

Common: Kernel Streaming, UltraStream, 700Hz, 0.01secs, Hibernate ON, 0.5 ms clock

#11 taxman2

taxman2

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSofia, Bulgaria

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:53 PM

That is a very good tip. Thank you ThuanB! Unfortunately in my country the ground is always connected to zero (ground and zero in one). 

Furman Elite 10i (power conditioner), JPLAY, AO, PL Pro, F Pro, 3 x fanless mini PC, Server PC - WS 2016 core, Control PC - WS 2012 R2 core, Audio PC - WS 2016 core, JCAT USB Card, 2 x JCAT Femto Net Cards, 3 x 100VA Ultra Low Noise LPS, JCAT Isolator, SU-1 with external LPS, Gustard X-20, Audia Flight Pre Mk III (class A preamp), Audia Flight FL50 Mk IV(class A amplifier), Focal Electra 1008BE;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users