Photo

How to ( windows server 2016) bridge two ethernet ports or is that not necessary?

server 2016 bridging

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kyrill

kyrill

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:22 PM

I am convinced by a thread that a media player ( be it a PC or for instance UtraRendu)  seeing its (Pc) server directly sounds much better ( more  transparent)  than indirectly because player and server are connected to the same router or switch. but not directly to each other. The router or switch is also the source for internet and this way all are on the same private net work sharing the same sub net

A direct connection between the player and the server is to have one Ethernet port on the server connected to the one of the player.

In order to remotely see the library of the server and the player in an android software player (mobile phone), all of them must be in the same sub.net.of the private network. The router on this private network takes care of the wireless part and gives access to internet and mobile phone. The  server has one port to the player and one port to the private network for internet and to see other computers in the house.

The private network is in my case a 192.168.xx...

Windows 10 refuses to accept the two ports of  the computer to be in the same private network and keeps them separate or malfunctioning when manually forced ( canceling DHCP) unless the two ports are bridged. Bridging in Windows 10 is extremely easy and part of right clicking the 2 or more Ethernet connections

Bridging is also necessary when not using JPlay to play Tidal. for instance when the player  is, as in my case, a Sonore UltraRendu

How to complete this feat in windows server 2016 (CORE)? It does not seem to be easy for windows server?

#2 kyrill

kyrill

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

Officially there is no media pack for WS2016, but too many have this OS in their audiophile server set up

I manage with bridging in ws2016 GUI  the following:

The red and the blue ports of the NUC are bridged with a fixed ip number in WS2016

Mobile phone

The mobile phone ( with its simple DLNA player app) sees the UltraRendu as media player  and the other (W 10) PC  as server   and its library ( media streaming allowed)

But mobile does not see the NUC or its shared folders.

By mobile phone  music can be played to Urendu from PC or from internet ( shoutcast)

PC

The NUC can be seen under Network/computers by PC but when clicked  it asks for name and psswrd. ( not set up by me)  . When PC clicks itself in network computers it shows its library. PC also sees Urendu under media players

NUC

The NUC also sees the PC but not under computers but media players. The NUC sees itself under computers, when clicked it shows empty folder.

The NUC also sees Urendu under media players

Any help how to accomplish a connection between NUC as media server and Urendu   When it works then I can apply AO 2.2 hopefully

Attached Files

#3 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:58 AM

Have you checked firewall settings?

#4 kyrill

kyrill

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

I am not familiar with the list that shows up under firewall WS2016.

So for private network (incl internet) I just shut it off. No change :(

But I have a more persistent problem

My main computer (W10 pro) does not get into desktop anymore after yesterday's automatic w10 pro update.

after bios it keeps loading but worse keyboard and mouse are shut off

#5 kyrill

kyrill

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:09 PM

Ok the update problem seemed to be solved

My present state is now like this, I feel I am close as I am sure it is a sotware configuration. But which one?

) W10 pro PC ( in Networks) sees Urendu (as computer and as media device), the NUC (WS2016) as computer; the router and itself

which are not setup yet

The PC is configured  in media sharing to share its library. When NUc is opened it asks for "network credentials: name  + psswrd ,

2) The mobile phone with its DLNA media player sees under "playback devices the Urendu

Under Media servers it sees only the the PC and under libraries its sees the music folders of the PC, which can be played, to urendu thru phone which is not the idea

3) The NUC in Networks, sees only itself as computer and when clicked shows "empty folder". It sees the PC only under media devices where it sees also the Urendu

==============

How to setup WS2016 so its library can be seen?

I am such an amateur it costs me weeks to sort this out  and find out I am still where I was yesterday ...lol

Attached Files

#6 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

Have you looked at this article: https://docs.microso...rver-essentials

BTW - out of curiosity, any reason why you're not using some UPnP media server software?

#7 kyrill

kyrill

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

I look at the link. I believe I have done it and is not geared at WS2016 and more to 2012

for instance the mediapack cannot be installed on 2016  but I look again.

#8 kyrill

kyrill

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

That link is about "Applies To: Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 Essentials"

It seems I bought the wrong NUC and now  also the wrong Windows server...

still this thread I dont understand (yet) , seems hopeful It is from the Roon forum. Maybe Roon installed in WS2016 can make it work?

https://community.ro...er-2016/25307/3

#9 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

As I suggested in the email, try with MinimServer or Twonky. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users