• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#101 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

The last days I have tried different things. I installed WS2016 and Roonserver there. Same error with JPLAYdriver on Control-pc "Device initialization failed". So it has nothing to do with the DAC I think, it is something in between Roon and the JPlay ASIO-driver. Thoughts?

Hi Johannes, 

Could you please try if you can play using these settings via JPLAYmini? 

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#102 Johannes

Johannes

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:59 PM

Hi Johannes,

Could you please try if you can play using these settings via JPLAYmini?

I have successfully used Jplaymini and jplayfemto with these settings. On single-pc and now dual-pc.
That is why I said it is a Roon vs Jplay 7 issue.

I was planning to do a comparison between jplayfemto and Roon+Jplay 7. Both dual-pc with WS2016.

I really love the sound of femto, but miss the features of accessing my library in all the ways of Roon.
However if, and as I suspect, femto is much better sounding, I will consider adjusting my music experience by less screen and browsing, to just more sound and music. 😊 It is certainly not a bad idea anyways, as I have been distracted more than a little by the Roon interface.

This is difficult!
Dual-PC with control-pc running Fedora 28 minimal, audio-pc in Windows Server 2016 Core with Process Lasso, Fidelizer 8 Pro, AO. Roonserver. Control with Android-phone and iPad.

Furutech TP 60E power distributor, Furutech Flux 50 power filter, Furutech power cables, 2x Furutech NCF-boosters
Pro-ject Pre Box S2 with Swagmanlab custom lineær PSU as DAC, Paradound Halo P5 pre, and Halo A23 poweramp.
Black Magic Cables and Van den Hul interconnects. Black Magic Revelation speaker cables.
Krix Apex 4 floorstanding speakers.

#103 GAR

GAR

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationMorristown, NJ USA

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:59 PM

Marcin,

I used TIDAL's Windows desk top application together with VB Asio Bridge in order to use JPLAY driver for playback, version 6.2. With JPLAY FEMTO in my system now, I'm unclear whether VB Asio Bridge is still required, and if so, whether the JPLAY driver within VB Asio Bridge has automatically been "upgraded" to JPLAY FEMTO. Could you clarify?

I am using the Kinsky remote app to play local music files on my single audio PC via JPLAY FEMTO / Femtoserver, which is working fine.

Thanks,

Gary

#104 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:53 AM

Marcin,

I used TIDAL's Windows desk top application together with VB Asio Bridge in order to use JPLAY driver for playback, version 6.2. With JPLAY FEMTO in my system now, I'm unclear whether VB Asio Bridge is still required, and if so, whether the JPLAY driver within VB Asio Bridge has automatically been "upgraded" to JPLAY FEMTO. Could you clarify?

I am using the Kinsky remote app to play local music files on my single audio PC via JPLAY FEMTO / Femtoserver, which is working fine.

Thanks,

Gary

JPLAY FEMTO is JPLAY FEMTO UPnP Renderer & JPLAY femtoServer UPnP Media server

JPLAY FEMTO can't be used with TIDAL desktop app, only JPLAY Driver will work in combination with ASIO Bridge. 

If you wish to use TIDAL with JPLAY FEMTO, it's best to use Bubble UPnP app on Android or mConnect on iOS. 

Or do you prefer to use the control app directly on the PC with JPLAY? 

#105 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:09 AM

I was planning to do a comparison between jplayfemto and Roon+Jplay 7. Both dual-pc with WS2016.

I'm very interested by your comparison if you do it Johannes.

For my part, I've not made comparison between JplayFemto  and Roon + JPLAY 7 as I'm using Xtalk convolution filters for Room correction (EQ, phase and crosstalk correction) and only Roon or JRiver Media center allow that but I must admit that SQ is great and has improved a lot with JPLAY 7 in combination with Roon.

The other thing is that Windows Server 2016 Core on the PC server works better now  than fedora 28. The JPLAY 7 dual PC link is giving me better SQ than the Roonbridge link.

Note that I can go further in the optimizations suggested by Marcin for my JCAT NET Card FEMTO on the control PC  with Windows Server 2016 Core than with Fedora 28. Perhaps it's a point we have to consider for the SQ improvement.

So, Windows Server 2016 Core + AO 2.20 + Fidelizer 8.2 + JPLAY 7 Classic are installed on both of my computers (Control PC and Audio PC), now.

#106 GAR

GAR

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationMorristown, NJ USA

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:01 PM

JPLAY FEMTO is JPLAY FEMTO UPnP Renderer & JPLAY femtoServer UPnP Media server

JPLAY FEMTO can't be used with TIDAL desktop app, only JPLAY Driver will work in combination with ASIO Bridge. 

If you wish to use TIDAL with JPLAY FEMTO, it's best to use Bubble UPnP app on Android or mConnect on iOS. 

Or do you prefer to use the control app directly on the PC with JPLAY? 

Hi Marcin,

I was able to get my wife's iPad and mConnect Lite to work with TIDAL on my Windows audio PC (Laptop) - nice. I'm on the trial version of JPLAY FEMTO. If I decide to opt for Classic JPLAY 7.0 Driver instead, will the Driver inside ASIO Bridge be automatically updated to 7.0? I assume so, but just want to be sure I understand.

Also, I prefer my control app not to be on my single PC. 

Thanks,

Gary

#107 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:24 PM

Hi Marcin,

I was able to get my wife's iPad and mConnect Lite to work with TIDAL on my Windows audio PC (Laptop) - nice. I'm on the trial version of JPLAY FEMTO. If I decide to opt for Classic JPLAY 7.0 Driver instead, will the Driver inside ASIO Bridge be automatically updated to 7.0? I assume so, but just want to be sure I understand.

Also, I prefer my control app not to be on my single PC. 

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary, 

Yes. Classic will get the same JPLAY Driver. 

Regards, 
Marcin

#108 Johannes

Johannes

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:25 PM

I'm very interested by your comparison if you do it Johannes.

For my part, I've not made comparison between JplayFemto and Roon + JPLAY 7 as I'm using Xtalk convolution filters for Room correction (EQ, phase and crosstalk correction) and only Roon or JRiver Media center allow that but I must admit that SQ is great and has improved a lot with JPLAY 7 in combination with Roon.
The other thing is that Windows Server 2016 Core on the PC server works better now than fedora 28. The JPLAY 7 dual PC link is giving me better SQ than the Roonbridge link.
Note that I can go further in the optimizations suggested by Marcin for my JCAT NET Card FEMTO on the control PC with Windows Server 2016 Core than with Fedora 28. Perhaps it's a point we have to consider for the SQ improvement.
So, Windows Server 2016 Core + AO 2.20 + Fidelizer 8.2 + JPLAY 7 Classic are installed on both of my computers (Control PC and Audio PC), now.

I agree 100%.

SQ between Femto and Roon running both on WS 2016 in my system is almost not perceivable to me.
However JPLAY dual-pc is far better than Fedora + Roonbridge. By far!

I did a reinstall of WS2016 on the Audio-pc and also reinstall of Fedora 28 with CCRMA-kernel to compare.

Now after reinstall of audio-pc Roon in WS2016 on Control-pc sees JPlay-driver. Audio-pc is in hibernate. Truly amazing to get the benefits of Roon and the SQ of JPLAY dual-pc. Running two network adapters.
Dual-PC with control-pc running Fedora 28 minimal, audio-pc in Windows Server 2016 Core with Process Lasso, Fidelizer 8 Pro, AO. Roonserver. Control with Android-phone and iPad.

Furutech TP 60E power distributor, Furutech Flux 50 power filter, Furutech power cables, 2x Furutech NCF-boosters
Pro-ject Pre Box S2 with Swagmanlab custom lineær PSU as DAC, Paradound Halo P5 pre, and Halo A23 poweramp.
Black Magic Cables and Van den Hul interconnects. Black Magic Revelation speaker cables.

#109 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:21 AM

I agree 100%.

SQ between Femto and Roon running both on WS 2016 in my system is almost not perceivable to me.
However JPLAY dual-pc is far better than Fedora + Roonbridge. By far!

I did a reinstall of WS2016 on the Audio-pc and also reinstall of Fedora 28 with CCRMA-kernel to compare.

Now after reinstall of audio-pc Roon in WS2016 on Control-pc sees JPlay-driver. Audio-pc is in hibernate. Truly amazing to get the benefits of Roon and the SQ of JPLAY dual-pc. Running two network adapters.

Yes Johannes I'm totally agree with you.

Finally, I've made the same comparison disabling the convolution and I've found the difference of the SQ between FEMTO and Roon with JPLAY 7 Classic dual PC (Audio PC in hibernate mode) is really difficult to perceive, in particular with the same DAC link value (for my part 200Hz with 7C or 250Hz with 7).

But SQ improve a little with FEMTO when I increase the DAC Link value to 700Hz which I cannot do with Roon + JPLAY Classic. When i'm using Roon with JPLAY Classic I can't set DAC Link higher than 200Hz with 7C or 250Hz with 7. If I set 500 Hz or 700Hz I can't play music in this case.

So, I regret there is no 300Hz or 400Hz DAC link options in JPLAY 7 which could allow me to know what is the maximum DAC link I can use with my W4S 10th Anniversary DAC and the Roon + JPLAY Classic dual PC config.

#110 cheeTarh Consulting

cheeTarh Consulting

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationKawasaki, JAPAN

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:52 PM

Can I talk about MQA of TIDAL, here? I heard that mconnect can send decorded MQA to JPLAY FEMTO, So, I quickly purchased "mconnect Player HD" for my iPad and tested. They have several apps, as in the table in the link.

http://www.conversdi...t/product04.php

When playing Master album, the app says "24bit 48,0kHz, MQA Original 96.0 kHz" or something, but my Sonica DAC keeps saying 44.1kHz. The setting is "HiFi/ Master." What seems to be wrong?

Formats:       FLAC uncompressed 44.1/16, 44.1 - 192/24, WAV 352.8/24, DSF5.6 - 11.2, dBpoweramp, MP3tag, TASCAM Hi-Res Editor

Controller:     Kazoo on PCs, Kazoo on iPad, Bubble UPnP (for TIDAL only) in Android mini PC (Beelink GT-1)

NAS:             QNAP HS-210S, MinimServer, toroidal power supply, SSD 1TB x 2, cheeTarh USB terminator (CUA-2), Sanwa Supply CAT7A cable (KB-T7A), Oyaide stainless spike (INS-US/BS)

Gigabit Hub:  NetGear GS105, toroidal power supply, cheeTarh LAN terminator (CLT-3)

Control PC:   XCY fanless mini PC, toroidal power supply, i5 5200U, SSD 60GB, DDR3L 4GB, WS2012 Core, AO2.20 beta 6, BubbleUPnP Server, JPLAY6.2 (ULTRAstream, 700Hz, 0.01), cheeTarh USB terminator (CUA-2), wireless mini keyboard, Sanwa Supply CAT7A cable (KB-T7A), cheeTarh cross LAN connector, display at TV or Windows Remote Access

Audio PC:     XCY fanless mini PC, toroidal power supply, i5 5200U, SSD 60GB, DDR3L 4GB, WS2012R2 Core, AO2.20 beta 6, JPLAY6.2, cheeTarh USB terminator (CUA-2),  wireless mini keyboard, cheeTarh USB cable (CNU-1 plus with batteries), display at TV

DAC:             OPPO Sonica DAC, Pioneer N-70A, cheeTarh XLR cable (CXL-1 silver-limited), cheeTarh LAN terminator (CLT-3), cheeTarh USB terminator (CUA-2), cheeTarh RCA caps (CRC-1) 

Amplifier:      SANSUI au-α707i (which I got 30 years ago), cheeTarh virtual ground (CVG-1), ortofon SPK-3100 Silver, Audioqest RCA caps

Speakers:     Diatone DS-77HRX (which I got 30 years ago), Oyaide stainless spike (INS-US/BS), cheeTarh Hypersonic Tweeter and weights (CHT-1 & CDY-1), FOSTEX CW250A, Yamamoto ebony spike (PB-9/10), cheeTarh lead weight (CBH-1)

https://www.cheetarh.com/

#111 Johannes

Johannes

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:04 PM

Can I talk about MQA of TIDAL, here? I heard that mconnect can send decorded MQA to JPLAY FEMTO, So, I quickly purchased "mconnect Player HD" for my iPad and tested. They have several apps, as in the table in the link.

When playing Master album, the app says "24bit 48,0kHz, MQA Original 96.0 kHz" or something, but my Sonica DAC keeps saying 44.1kHz. The setting is "HiFi/ Master." What seems to be wrong?

I guess we can talk about anything related, at least for me. 😉

I wouldn't know about Mconnect and MQA.
What I can say is that in my dual-pc setup with Roonserver, MQA plays perfectly in all resolutions through my DAC with full MQA support. This through JPLAY and ASIO in JPLAYSettings.

It sounds to me like the unfolding of the MQA is not done. I had the same results with Bubbleupnp and MQA when using JPLAYfemto. I think I read somewhere that the JPLAY team have chosen not to support MQA for femto,which I think is fair and square. 🙂

I don't know if I answered your question, Marcin or Josef may fill in. 😊

#112 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:20 PM

Best to ask mConnect how the MQA support is realized and what are the requirements. 

#113 Johannes

Johannes

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:43 PM

HELP!

Updated Jplay from 7b to 7c on both computers. Now Roonserver doesn't see any audio devices. Just as before the reinstall. But I can't understand this. Roon says Device initialization failed again,at system output. JPLAYdriver has disappeared. Is something in jplay 7 installer blocking RAAT? This is a terrible crisis!! I gued don't fix it if it ain't broken applies here.... 😑😣

#114 Johannes

Johannes

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

HELP!

Updated Jplay from 7b to 7c on both computers. Now Roonserver doesn't see any audio devices. Just as before the reinstall. But I can't understand this. Roon says Device initialization failed again,at system output. JPLAYdriver has disappeared. Is something in jplay 7 installer blocking RAAT? This is a terrible crisis!! I gued don't fix it if it ain't broken applies here.... 😑😣

Crisis solved. Saturday night may proceed. Puh... Drama queen here tonight.... 😀 Don't know how, but something fixed it. Haha. Cheers guys!

Johannes
  • Marcin_gps likes this

#115 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

For my part, each time I install a new version of JPLAY 7 I must register Jplaydriver64.dll if I want to see JPLAYdriver audio device in Roon.

#116 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:37 AM

For my part, each time I install a new version of JPLAY 7 I must register Jplaydriver64.dll if I want to see JPLAYdriver audio device in Roon.

When installing JPLAY, please run JPLAY setup as Administrator (right-click -> run as administrator)

Regards, 
Marcin

#117 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:01 PM

Hi Marcin,

as I'm using Windows server 2016 Core only with command line I cannot right click on "Run as Administrator".

I will try with Runas.exe command next time to see if it works.

• Marcin_gps likes this

#118 Johannes

Johannes

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:37 PM

Me too on WS 2016. Will try run as administrator. I use Total Commander so it is possible.

#119 Johannes

Johannes

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:33 PM

After some time, and more listening, I have come to the following conclusion : JPLAYfemto is more natural, and the midrange is so much more present: than Roon and dual-pc.

The difference is big. Kudos to Jplay team. 👍
  • Marcin_gps and Thuan like this

#120 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

After some time, and more listening, I have come to the following conclusion : JPLAYfemto is more natural, and the midrange is so much more present: than Roon and dual-pc.

The difference is big. Kudos to Jplay team.

Thanks for the info! Enjoy and spread the word :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users