56 replies to this topic

#41 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:51 PM

Finally, just restarting Roonbridge/RAATserver after changing settings on Jplay seems not to work for me. I still have to reboot the computer.  :huh:

#42 johsgjerde

johsgjerde

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:03 PM

That is strange. Not what I am experiencing.

If playback has failed on too low buffer sometimes restart of jplayservice is needed, then change the JPlaysettings to higher buffer. Kill RAATServer-process (faster than restarting roonbridge, and it starts automatically again) and Roonbridge should play through the buffer set.

That is what works here.
Dual-PC with control-pc running Fedora 28 minimal, audio-pc in Windows Server 2016 Core with Process Lasso, Fidelizer 8 Pro, AO. Roonserver. Control with Android-phone and iPad.

Furutech TP 60E power distributor, Furutech Flux 50 power filter, Furutech power cables, 2x Furutech NCF-boosters
Pro-ject Pre Box S2 as DAC, Primare I22 integrated amp.
Black Magic Cables interconnects. Black Magic Revelation speaker cables.
Krix Apex 4 floorstanding speakers.

#43 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:12 AM

Very strange, I don't know why it doesn't work on my config.

#44 johsgjerde

johsgjerde

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

If Roon does MQA decoding then I guess it can work with JPLAY.

Marcin do you have any suggestions on the unability to change formats through KS? Would really love for it to work. UltraStream really beats anything to my ears.

I tried setting bitstream to 24 or native.
Dual-PC with control-pc running Fedora 28 minimal, audio-pc in Windows Server 2016 Core with Process Lasso, Fidelizer 8 Pro, AO. Roonserver. Control with Android-phone and iPad.

Furutech TP 60E power distributor, Furutech Flux 50 power filter, Furutech power cables, 2x Furutech NCF-boosters

#45 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

Please check if you can play with foobar+ JPLAY Driver. If you can then the problem is in roon. 

#46 johsgjerde

johsgjerde

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:00 AM

Please check if you can play with foobar+ JPLAY Driver. If you can then the problem is in roon.

Just found out that the problem seems to be UltraStream, As format-changes work fine with Xstream and KS. Ideas?

#47 johsgjerde

johsgjerde

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:20 AM

I isolated the problem to changes to and from 24-bit 44.1khz flac. I also had a similar problem on my previous XMOS-interface with this particular format. It seems the change in bit depth confuses something here. No change with forced 24 or 32 in jplaysettings.

The workaround for now is upsampling everything to DSD in Roon, as this does not cause playback to stop. To me this seems more and more like a DAC-issue. Agree?

#48 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:33 AM

Ah OK now I've realized what is your problem.

I had this problem when I've installed the drivers of my new W4S DAC-2 Anniversary which are XMOS drivers but I don't remember exactly what I've done to resolve it.

I believe I've uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it after running AO (not sure for AO).

I will try to remember if I've done something else.

#49 johsgjerde

johsgjerde

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

Ah OK now I've realized what is your problem.
I had this problem when I've installed the drivers of my new W4S DAC-2 Anniversary which are XMOS drivers but I don't remember exactly what I've done to resolve it.
I believe I've uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it after running AO.
I will try to remember if I've done something else.

Nice to know. 👍 I did a reinstall already. Tell me if you remember anything. 🙂

#50 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

I think the only thing I've done is reinstall drivers after uninstall it but I really don't remember at what point, finally.. :(

It's possible that I've uninstalled fidelizer and reseted AO with ST -r before uninstalling and reinstalling drivers.

It's crazy as I've done this last week... 

I must confess that I actually have some health problems and medication brings me in a kind of second state from time to time.

#51 johsgjerde

johsgjerde

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

I think the only thing I've done is reinstall drivers after uninstall it but I really don't remember at what point, finally.. :(

It's possible that I've uninstalled fidelizer and reseted AO with ST -r before uninstalling and reinstalling drivers.

It's crazy as I've done this last week...

I must confess that I actually have some health problems and medication brings me in a kind of second state from time to time.

Cheers man, there are more of us with health issues and medication . 😜 Doesn't matter at all!

Anyway it doesn't matter what resolves the issue. 😊

I am now trying upsampling only 24/44.1 and 16/44.1 to 24/88.2 in custom upsampling in Roon's DSP. My control-pc running Fedora is quite old, and pushed to the limit with DSD. I also find pcm more natural. Not sure about upsampling pcm though. But at least there is sound. 😄

#52 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

Hey I remember what I've done just taking a look at my Roon settings!!!!

In fact with my previous W4S with non XMOS drivers i used to make comparisons between the proper asio driver of the DAC and the Jplay asio driver and every time i prefered Jplay asio driver ;)

With non XMOS driver it doesn't matter both asio drivers (proper of the DAC and Jplay) can be enabled in Roon.

But XMOS driver doesn't seem to like this situation.

After installing XMOS driver for my W4S DAC-2 10th anniversary I've effectively encountered this playback problem at bit depth change.

For my part, disabling proper asio driver of the DAC in Roon audio settings and letting Jplay asio driver alone resolved the problem ;)

• Marcin_gps likes this

#53 johsgjerde

johsgjerde

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:10 AM

I am still having problems with 24/44.1 with JPlay and Roon.

It happens only when changing from 16 to 24 bits within the same samplerate. Playback doesn't start, and i have to restart Jplayservice 2 times (strange) and then restart Roonbridge. Then playback can be resumed. It seems to me jplay gets confused when bit depth changes but not the samplerate.

If I am at 16/44.1 and next track is 24/96, the change works and playback proceeds as wanted.

Unfortunately Bitstream-setting in JPLAYSettings makes no difference to the problem.

Other drivers than Jplay are working with this change in bit depth, but Jplay + KS + US is just the best sound by far.

My temporary solution has been upsampling 16/44.1 in Roon to either 24/88.2 or DSD. However I feel this resampling gives some coolness to the music. It doesn't feel so natural as the original format. Reedbook never gets old, does it? 🙄😉

Disabling other audio devices as suggested by DC doesn't resolve the problem unfortunately.

Do you have any suggestions Marcin/Josef? Anything would be much appreciated. 🙂

#54 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:30 AM

Is BitStream set to 24 in JPLAY settings panel?

#55 johsgjerde

johsgjerde

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

Is BitStream set to 24 in JPLAY settings panel?

I have tried both 24 and 32 in JPLAYSettings without success.

#56 johsgjerde

johsgjerde

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:32 PM

So no other suggestions about this? Sad, as all other drivers don't have this problem.

#57 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

So no other suggestions about this? Sad, as all other drivers don't have this problem.

Can you force 24bit in Roon too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users