Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:10 PM

Continued from here:

http://jplay.eu/foru...-femto/?p=42927

Upsss... that's a shorter autonomy than I expected, with my life po I can reach 30 + plus hours non stop music and else.  So the only thing I can do is try the 30 amp each, that will be a total o 60 amp per SSD, dangerous... there is no 60 amp switch in the business either, just bought an on - of military switch that is rated at 35 amp max.

Regarding Pauls clock SSD maybe he is talking 3 amp consumption for the start, like a pc when you start it draws a lot of amps then it drops a lot the power consumption.

Hard to say exactly how long discharging time will be. Depends on many factors, including how “nice” you want to be against your batteries. But with these 30Ah cells that I linked to earlier, shouldn't be a problem to achieve a day-long listening time. If you want to :)

What should you have a 60 or a 35A switch for? It's very important that the switch have good contact characteristics (very low contact resistance), but it’s both wrong and completely unnecessary to dimension it for the entire battery capacity.

Something important I don’t think I mentioned before: Batteries should always be disconnected from the device before charging. Switching off or disconnect plus is enough, minus or earth should always be grounded at one single point, ie, star grounding, in the computer chassis. Preferably all other minus should also be connected to this point.

• Marcin_gps likes this

AudioPC: Intel S1200V3RPS, Intel Xeon E3-1230LV3, Apacer AP2GITETLQ1K3 2GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC, JCAT USB Card FEMTO,
JCAT Reference SATA Cable, CAT Net Card FEMTO

ControlPC: Intel S1200KPR, Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2, Apacer 75.A83EE.G000C 2GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC (for Windows), SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRAFS-NR (for WAV-files),

JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card FEMTO, JCAT Signature LAN Cable

Software: Windows Server 2016 Standard, Total Commander 9.12, JPLAY 6.2, Audiophile Optimizer 2.20, MinimServer 0.8.5.2, Upplay 1.2.8

Audio equipment: JCAT Reference USB Cable, Harmony Design Pre 906, Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 with Furutech Rhodium XLR, Sennheiser HD800

#2 screenmusic

screenmusic

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:29 AM

Continued from here:

http://jplay.eu/foru...-femto/?p=42927

Hard to say exactly how long discharging time will be. Depends on many factors, including how “nice” you want to be against your batteries. But with these 30Ah cells that I linked to earlier, shouldn't be a problem to achieve a day-long listening time. If you want to :)

What should you have a 60 or a 35A switch for? It's very important that the switch have good contact characteristics (very low contact resistance), but it’s both wrong and completely unnecessary to dimension it for the entire battery capacity.

Something important I don’t think I mentioned before: Batteries should always be disconnected from the device before charging. Switching off or disconnect plus is enough, minus or earth should always be grounded at one single point, ie, star grounding, in the computer chassis. Preferably all other minus should also be connected to this point.

Thanks, Tomas, it was my ignorance about the switch I don't need that much od amperes anyway I have a military grade 35 amperes with silver contact that will do the job, and the two packs of 30amp each one I think is enough for at least 2 days of constant music, now is a matter to find a charger for that battery.

#3 kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:53 PM

Thanks, Tomas, it was my ignorance about the switch I don't need that much od amperes anyway I have a military grade 35 amperes with silver contact that will do the job, and the two packs of 30amp each one I think is enough for at least 2 days of constant music, now is a matter to find a charger for that battery.

?

#4 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

I would recommend to first try with two of these cells which will give you 30Ah and see if you will be satisfied with SQ and capacity. Later you can double it with two more cells for to have 60Ah, if needs arise, and also invest for a suitable chargers.

• screenmusic likes this

AudioPC: Intel S1200V3RPS, Intel Xeon E3-1230LV3, Apacer AP2GITETLQ1K3 2GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

ControlPC: Intel S1200KPR, Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2, Apacer 75.A83EE.G000C 2GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC (for Windows), SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRAFS-NR (for WAV-files),

Software: Windows Server 2016 Standard, Total Commander 9.12, JPLAY 6.2, Audiophile Optimizer 2.20, MinimServer 0.8.5.2, Upplay 1.2.8

Audio equipment: JCAT Reference USB Cable, Harmony Design Pre 906, Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 with Furutech Rhodium XLR, Sennheiser HD800

#5 screenmusic

screenmusic

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

I would recommend to first try with two of these cells which will give you 30Ah and see if you will be satisfied with SQ and capacity. Later you can double it with two more cells for to have 60Ah, if needs arise, and also invest for a suitable chargers.

yes, those are a great option, big size though, how do you charge them? it seems there is no charger on that site. And do you think they are approved to travel by airplane? 

#6 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

I don’t use them, they are too large for my needs. 

Any power supply that provide stabilized 2.7V and with sufficient current capacity, can be used for charging. Such ones will work :)

Is no problem to ship by air :) 

#7 screenmusic

screenmusic

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:21 PM

I don’t use them, they are too large for my needs. 

Any power supply that provide stabilized 2.7V and with sufficient current capacity, can be used for charging. Such ones will work :)

Is no problem to ship by air :) 

Dear Tomslin, I've tried to order 2 small LTO cells of battery 25 us each one but see they charge more than 70 us for shipping even Europe..is that right?

#8 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

Best to check with them :)

#9 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

....also isolated.... and possibly a great value.. I ordered a set for listening tests . should have some observations early April.

Between my DIY friend and myself, we have some of the better Teradaks, iFi DC iPurifiers, Uptone LPS1 and1.2, SOtM SPS500, a bunch of supercaps DIY project builds, various regulators, Kingrex battery pack, PPA stuff, etc.etc.. so will be able to get some comparison of the tone quality for this LTO idea especially vs. the SOtM, Uptone and DIY caps stuff

we are in South China.. so stuff like that step down convertor is available overnight (sometimes same day!)

Thanks again... :)

Did you have any feedback to this yet?

:)

Tomas

#10 screenmusic

screenmusic

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

Did you have any feedback to this yet?

:)

Tomas

Yes, I was going to ask something about this, because to have batteries is somewhat a hassle, charge them constantly, etc so I was wondering if building an excellent regulated linear power supply with the best components, one for each SSD, will theses could sound the same as to use batteries?

#11 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

Yes, I was going to ask something about this, because to have batteries is somewhat a hassle, charge them constantly, etc so I was wondering if building an excellent regulated linear power supply with the best components, one for each SSD, will theses could sound the same as to use batteries?

You may see it as a compromise, the same as much else in this hobby. Because a power supply that is totally perfect in all aspects, does not exist. This solution I presented is relatively simple and inexpensive, furthermore with an extremely high quality of the DC power. What it means for SQ, I do not think I need to mention. And that's also the main reason to why I don’t abandon these batteries.

Test it, evaluate it and then take your own decision after your experience, is the advice I have already given :)

Tomas

#12 motberg

motberg

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

Hi Guys,

Sorry not reporting back yet. I ended up buying 4 of the packs in the USA, and was planning to bringing them back with me to China.. but I chickened-out taking them on the plane for the way back... due to they very much appear to be able to be used for more nefarious purposes .. for sure they would show up on the XRay, and I had tight connections so...

Anyway, I just bought a suitable battery travel bag and will bring them back with me next month.

I took some photos of the pack and cells, PM me in case anyone would like.. I am pretty sure these are the cells used:

https://www.alibaba.....4fad121d6DBYcW

• Tomslin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users