#1 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:00 AM

Hello all

Got an ipurifier2 the other day and would like to share some impressions followed by a question. The ifi ipurifier2 is type b. Fits directly into the dac. Now onto the sound. Only have two days of burn in so far. For me that is too premature to make a judgement on a tweak or component but observations can still be made in haste. Normally my rule of thumb is to give a new addition to the system one month or regular use before I make a judgement.

Here is what the ipurufier2 does. Beefier sound. Highlighted highs with crisp notes on the cymbals. Bass tends to get stronger the more I use it too. The midrange has gained more authority but at times it spotlights. So far so good perhaps. However, one thing that bothers me is that I am losing air around the notes. This shows itself as having less clarity, believe it or not, compared to the usb connection without the purifier. Don't get me wrong. The purifier adds so much goodness to the system that I'm in a bind. To purify or no to purify. It does everything I want it to except for taking that last degree of air away. An area where a stereo's magic (along with the midrange) lives. Kinda like a vacuum tube with all it's fuzzy virtues. However, once you put a tube damper on things clear up with more pin point precision but at the expense of some tubiness. So here is my question. What is out there that has the benefits of the ipurifier2 without the ever-so-slight loss. Or should I just wait it out for burn in to complete itself.

One last thing, I'll be receiving two ifi isilencers next week. This should get interesting.
  • thuanb and Ridgekex like this
W8.1 64-Laptop - i7 3630qm up to 3.4ghz w/ TB > 2 Tbytes usb storage >  8 gigs ram > JPLAY > Pangea USB AG cable > Schiit first generation drivers > Schiit Bifrost > Nordost Valhalla interconnects > Promitheus TVC dual-mono passive preamp > Vincent 331MK amp > Nordost Valhalla speaker cables > Apogee Centaur or Definitive Tech speakers > various tricks and tweaks > Pangea AC 9 SE and TG Audio power cables > APC and VansEvers Cleanline Jr conditioner > Oyaide XXX wall outlet > 20 amp dedicated line > my ears

#2 blawre

blawre

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:17 AM

For me the realisation came when my iFi Purifier2 failed and had to be replaced (FOC)

I couldn't wait to get it back!!

#3 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

That's a good testimony to it's prowess. I'm a patient man and will give this little bugger much more time.
W8.1 64-Laptop - i7 3630qm up to 3.4ghz w/ TB > 2 Tbytes usb storage >  8 gigs ram > JPLAY > Pangea USB AG cable > Schiit first generation drivers > Schiit Bifrost > Nordost Valhalla interconnects > Promitheus TVC dual-mono passive preamp > Vincent 331MK amp > Nordost Valhalla speaker cables > Apogee Centaur or Definitive Tech speakers > various tricks and tweaks > Pangea AC 9 SE and TG Audio power cables > APC and VansEvers Cleanline Jr conditioner > Oyaide XXX wall outlet > 20 amp dedicated line > my ears

#4 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

Well I added a switch between router and pc. Now I am getting that high energy air back. Never would have thought that one switch would make a difference for a single jplay pc. Very pleased in that I keep the goodness of the ip2 without loss of treble transparency. In fact I have more. Maybe the starlight cat8 ethernet cable kicked things up a notch in this setup. So pleased.

#5 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:57 PM

The iP2 may reveal the weakness of the setup including associated cables and its own limited capability. After living with it for a short while, I got a Nano which was a major step up. Very recently, a Micro arrived and the playback sounds best ever, subjectively.

I hope you keep enjoying the iP2 until the next upgrade fever. An audio grade switch will help noticeably.
Windows 2016 Core + AO + JPLAY + PPA single fanless PC + JplayMini

Alternatively,

SinglePC: Windows 2016 Core + AO + JPLAY + BubbleUPnP proxy server
MediaPC: Windows 2016 GUI + MinimServer + music library

Kernel Streaming, UltraStream, 700Hz, 0.01secs, Hibernate mode ON, 0.5 ms clock

#6 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, the upgrade path is always tempting. Glad you are getting value out of your accessories. This week I will also try the idefender as well as the isilencers.

#7 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:12 PM

Let us know how you like the iS and iD. They're effective on my PCs.

Alternatively,

#8 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:35 PM

after a few more days of listening I think I got the sound down. Placement and the amount of doohickies riding USB makes a small but noticeable difference. So let's start from the top. For me, this all started by adding an iPurifier2 to the dac's usb. Nice tone and dimensionality but took away some transparency. Then I added an ethernet D-Link switch to the chain just for kicks and the transparency came back in spades. The iP2 and switch will be keepers. Here to stay. Lately after fooling around with two iSilencer3.0 and one iDefender3.0 things got interesting again. By first using one iSilencer in the computer's usb 2.0 port where the cable is attached to the sound added more dimensionality similar to what the iP2 alone did. So far so good. Changed ports and the sound was the same. Nice. Then added another iSilencer3.0 to the usb3.0 port where the external hard drive enters. Got more space and fluffyness but at the cost of some fidelity. Too cozy. Not good. So...enter iDefender3.0. Now this little guy is all about precision. Razor sharp details. Was it too clear? Yes! Well then. Let's move those gizmos around some more. Ended up with one iSilencer3.0 in an unused usb3.0 slot. The other into the usb2.0 port directly followed by the iDefender3.0 (computer usb2.0 > iSilencer > iDefender > usb cable > ipurifier2 > dac). This set-up presented layered depth and lively clarity. One last thing, switching the position of the ifi Silencer and Defender mattered. Whatever device was placed directly into the usb port, the sound took on that device's character.

Also liked the alternative sound of using the iP2 but just one iSilencer in an unused port - or - piggyback two iSilencers into an unused port and one iDefender into the usb cable end. As you can see the possibilities are almost limitless.

#9 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

Update - added a linear power supply to the D-link switch. H. E. double toothpicks! A transformation. Prior to that the sound had went from slightly bright to boring. Typical of parts but moreso break-in. Now things are stabilizing and, hopefully, a new and better normal will remain.Taking out the smps and replacing it with a Jameco wall wart brings monster bass, warmth and better highs. Been changing the position of the ifi guys and even the isilencer for the hard drive is heaven. All good.

#10 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:54 PM

How about audio quality Ethernet and USB cables?

Alternatively,

#11 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

Generic Cat7 from router to switch and Wireworld Cat8 from switch to computer. After trying a few different usb cables I still go back to the tried and true pangea ag. A cheap but cheerful usb. Next up I will have an ifi ipower wart coming into play this week. Should be fun.

Other then that and over the long haul, I have mpingo discs sitting on the mains power cord iec and on top of the dual mono preamps. Original Cable Jackets on the center of all powercords along with Highwire power wraps. Various concoction of crystals out and about; under the computer and next to the home's circuit breaker. An Audioprism Waveguide centered along the smps computer power cord. Aside from a gluttony of various power conditioners for clean mains feed, all parts of the system has it's own unique set of footers/vibration dampening along with maple wood and audiophile grade shelving. Don't get me started on vacuum tubes. That is another world of fun.

Edit - forgot to mention that a Blackweb battery pack is powering the Ifi iDefender's 5 volts
  • thuanb likes this

#12 wushuliu

wushuliu

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:58 PM

Going to offer another perspective and say that:

1) overall I'm not really impressed by the IP2. I've tried several and in different setup combinations. Perhaps I didn't give it enough time to burn in. I also think that it 'closes' the sound to a degree. It helped with my super cheap $25 DAC a little. However with my iSilencer and iDefender powered with a high quality linear PS in the chain and higher quality DACs, the IP2 just doesn't do much. I think the iSilencer and iDefender are a much better value if you already have a good setup - and of course a linear power supply is a must.

2) I looked up the Blackweb batter pack. The reviews I've found raise some red flags for long term reliability. Battery packs like these *may* be better than a stock wallwart, but they have internal switchers and generate noise on their own. Considering the investment made in the setup one may want to consider joining the popular LT3042/5 bandwagon for linear power supply options. Only .8uV noise! They're not that expensive, and even cheaper if you have any diy skills.

3) I have used the iPower and also found it underwhelming. Not bad, but not great. Also, it made a high pitched whine that a lot of other users also complained about. And there seems to be a high failure rate with them.

I am a fan of iFi, but I think some of their products have poor quality control and not quite as impressive as they seem at first.

Just my .02

#13 wushuliu

wushuliu

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:07 PM

In fact if Schiit Bifrost is the DAC, I posit that a Xmos usb to spdif module like Singxer F-1, etc. (don't remember if Jplay has something similar so hopefully I'm not breaking board rules) would be a much better investment than the IP2.

#14 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:56 PM

Wushuliu, at first I was also underwhelmed by the iPurifier. However, once left in the system burning in around the clock things really opened up. Though the ethernet switch itself was a bigger improvement. Now perhaps my Schiity dac is the week link even though it's putting up the best sound from it's existence in my setup so far. Anyway I will be hunting for a newer dac soon. Perhaps a Border Patrol, Gieseler Groß, or something Chinese.

#15 TJHUB

TJHUB

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:31 AM

In fact if Schiit Bifrost is the DAC, I posit that a Xmos usb to spdif module like Singxer F-1, etc. (don't remember if Jplay has something similar so hopefully I'm not breaking board rules) would be a much better investment than the IP2.

The IP2 in my setup feeds my Pro3z SPDIF converter from a regular USB port with great success; better than any previous setup I’ve had. I power everything with a LPS.
  • thuanb likes this
JPLAY 6 Setup: Single PC (Intel S1200KPR/XEON based), Windows Server 2016 Core, AudiophileOptimizer 2.20b6, JPLAY 6.2, Classic engine (DAC Link = 1Hz, PC Buffer = 10 Seconds, Foobar2000 with ASIO output to JPLAY 6.2. Motherboard USB port to Paul Pang Red USB cable into an iFI iPure 2 USB into a DXIO Pro3z SPDIF converter. HD-Plex linear power supply powering PC, OS (2.5” HDD), and spdif converter. DAC is an Eastern Electric DAC Plus (modified). Synology DS213 NAS with WAV library stored locally on NAS. iPad Air with MonkeyMote for remote control.

#16 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:46 PM

Update - Tube change and ethernet directionality.

After bathing in the golden glow of an archaic yet delicious SE 40 from Golden Tude Audio (been out of business for a while) I switched back to the Vincent amp in order for more power (150 watts @ 8 ohms vs 40 watts @ 8). Both amps have their own specialty. I love the liquidity of the SE 40 yet the textures of the Vincent can be modified via a rectifier tube change in order to resemble but never truely approximate the flavor of the former. This past week I switched from a new stock Genalex Gold Lion 12au7 to a new-old-stock Tungsram ECC82/12au7. Both are marvy. However, the Tungsram has beefier bass sound and liquid mids with a smooth high end. Not piercing at all, which I needed due to the Def Tech's overly pronounced tweeter.

Next, I switched the direction of the Wireworld Starlight Cat8 at the switch to the computer. This cable has direction markings on it. Previously I had the direction facing the switch. After swapping directions the sound changed also. Now things are less up front and more organic. Now I'm lov'n it.

more to come for next time...audiophile usb cable from external hard drive to computer.

#17 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

...continued

This feels like a blog. So, if you all don't mind I've got a few more things to say. Though I'm late to the hardware additives journey it is worthwhile for sure. For the last week I've been playing around with the following additions. Namely the Wireworld Chroma ethernet cable to and from the router and switch; Wireworld Starlight 7 USB 3.0 type A/micro between the external Seagate hard drive and computer; and a swap meet between the ipower wall wart plus another Jameco regulated wall wart supplying 5 volts on the bus to the dac.

The sound and nothing but the sound. Organic and meaty versus audiophile micro detail where you can hear more stuff buried in the mix. Who wins? (Tongue in cheek)

Here is what I learned. We all know that everything and anything makes a difference. Some for the better and some for the WC. After a/b'ing around with the previously mentioned new items there exists a difference. Want musical? The hard drive cable from Wireworld added a smidgeon. Want more feel and gumption to the music? Add another linear power supply. In my case, to the switch and recently, to the iDefender feeding the dac. Want more leading edge tension and tighter bass plus even more detail..add an ifi ipower. Trying out a combination is fun too.

For now here is what I settled with. Audiophile usb and ethernet cables thoughout. One Jameco on the switch and one ipower on the iDefender. The iDefender also has an iSilencer attached to it as does the type A end of the external hard drive's Starlight 7 usb going into the computer. An iPurifier2 into the dac completes this circle of silliness.

What does this all mean, other than being a tad nuts? These additions are all flavors of the month. Right? That's all! It's all good. Perhaps I may just say "F-it" and strip all that stuff out and go back to the initial sound prior to this journey. Naw! I'm certain that most of these gizmos will stick. The good thing is that when I feel like having organic food I'll just take out the iPower and stick in the Jameco in it's place. When I want to binge on semi-utopian audiophile pipe dream diet food I'll leave things as they are.
  • Marcin_gps likes this

#18 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

Looks like you're having fun - enjoy :)

#19 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, sure is fun. A personal amusement park. Thanks buddy.

#20 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

-Update-

Couldn't leave well enough alone, I have installed another Wireworld Starlight Cat8 ethernet cable. This one goes in between the router and switch thus 'am able to compare it to a Wireworld Chroma Cat8 and a generic Cat7 ethernet cable. All other gizmos from this thread remain in place in the system.

Ethernet Comparison
Standard Cat7 - good clarity and definition but some tizzyness (copper)
Chroma Cat8 - better bass, weaker treble. Not as defined as the Cat7 (copper)
Starlight Cat8 - best of both worlds with even more dynamics and sounds quicker too. A keeper (copper/silver)
  • thuanb likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users