• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:41 AM

I am trying to play Roon through a 3-PC Jplay configuration, where

Machine #1 runs Roon Server

Machine #2 runs Roon Bridge with Jplay as Control PC

Machine #3 runs Jplay as Audio PC.

The Roon Core can see Jplay on Control PC fine, I can also configure DSP and everything, the only problem is when I try to do Roon -> Lower right of screen -> Device Setup of Jplay, Jplay will disappear from the lower right screen of Roon as an audio device, after a while (several seconds) Jplay will reappear.

This made it impossible to configure Jplay as a Device for features such as DSP volume control, Convert DSD to PCM, etc.

Please help, thanks!

p.s.  I started this because I could play normal flac files fine, but just now I accidentally played a DSD album, without being able to convert and downsample it to PCM in Roon, the big noise coming out of my speakers scared the **** out of me.

#2 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

Please try this: 'Transfer Zone' to SYSTEM and then set Volume Control to Fixed

#3 p_hsieh

p_hsieh

Beginner

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:47 AM

Please try this: 'Transfer Zone' to SYSTEM and then set Volume Control to Fixed

Thanks Marcin. 

I don't get it, after executing what you recommended, what should I do?  I tried going back to settings -> Audio, to configure the Jplay device, it again disappeared.

Please help, thanks.

#4 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

Go back to JPLAY zone afterwards. If that doesn't work, please contacting Roon. 

#5 Phxtriode

Phxtriode

Beginner

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ USA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

I am experiencing something somewhat similar.

I am on a single PC Windows Server 2016 GUI with the latest AO Beta and Roon Server.

Roon plays fine (albeit with the first few seconds on the track not playing)

When I go into Roon setting for Jplay devise (via remote IOS app) and select device setup Jplay device crashes and disappears from Roon until I reboot the machine.

To be honest I'm not sure what the culprit is. Roon, JPlay, or AO

I appreciate any support.

Single PC Windows Server 2016 Shell Replacement - JPLAYSTREAMER (170hz .5ms DAC Limited) - Fedelizer Pro 8.2 - AO  - ProcessLasso Server - MinimServer - Bubble Upnp - Kazzo - Intel i5 8600 - 16GB DDR4 - Gigabyte H270MD3H - Intel Optane M.2 - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (2) fed by 5v LPSU - JPLAY FEMTO USB fed by 5V external LPSU - Itona USB isolator - Intona Pro USB Cables - PS Audio DirectStream - Oppo 103d - Luxman L-590AXII - Golden Ear Reference Speakers - Nordost QX4, (2) QB8, (2) Qv2, (1) Qk1, (4) Frey II power cords, Sort Kones (3) TC (9) BC (6) AC, Sort Fut (8) under speakers- Cerious Technologies Graphene Matrix speaker cables , interconnects , (5) power cords - Room treatment (14 custom made birch acoustic panels by your's truly) - SR Blue Fuses throughout

#6 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

Hello and welcome, 

Have you tried my suggestion from the 2nd post of this topic?

Best regards,

Marcin

#7 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:52 PM

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same behaviour, here, using the same configuration (Windows Server 2016 core mode + AO 2.20b6) but with RoonBridge installed.

Effectively, I'm using the computer as Single PC but as a Roonbridge Endpoint. RoonServer is installed on a fedora 27 minimal install on another PC with bridged LAN cards.

Volume is set to fix.

Note that there is the same problem with AO reset via ST -R.

I'm unable to play music with hibernate ON. In fact Roon seems to play music the audio path is OK but no sound comes from my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 V2Se.

With hibernate off I get sound. Perhaps this behaviour with hibernate mode is due to y DAC. What is amazing is that with the non upgraded DAC (W4S DAC-2se) hibernate ON was OK 5 years ago.

At this time I will try dual PC configuration with JPLAY + AO + Windows Server 2016 with RoonServer on control PC to see what's happen with this configuration as soon as everything will be installed.

#8 Phxtriode

Phxtriode

Beginner

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

Hello and welcome, 

Have you tried my suggestion from the 2nd post of this topic?

Best regards,

Marcin

I will give it a try this evening. Unfortunately I subjected myself to JPLAYmini @ 700hz/.01ms last night and got nothing done... just sat and enjoyed the music. What a huge gap between Roon/JPLAY and JPLAYmini. I will have to sacrifice a bit because I don't want a monitor, keyboard and mouse in my listening room anymore and Roon seems to be the most polished option.

Thank you for replying Marcin.

• thuanb likes this

Single PC Windows Server 2016 Shell Replacement - JPLAYSTREAMER (170hz .5ms DAC Limited) - Fedelizer Pro 8.2 - AO  - ProcessLasso Server - MinimServer - Bubble Upnp - Kazzo - Intel i5 8600 - 16GB DDR4 - Gigabyte H270MD3H - Intel Optane M.2 - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (2) fed by 5v LPSU - JPLAY FEMTO USB fed by 5V external LPSU - Itona USB isolator - Intona Pro USB Cables - PS Audio DirectStream - Oppo 103d - Luxman L-590AXII - Golden Ear Reference Speakers - Nordost QX4, (2) QB8, (2) Qv2, (1) Qk1, (4) Frey II power cords, Sort Kones (3) TC (9) BC (6) AC, Sort Fut (8) under speakers- Cerious Technologies Graphene Matrix speaker cables , interconnects , (5) power cords - Room treatment (14 custom made birch acoustic panels by your's truly) - SR Blue Fuses throughout

#9 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

I'm a big fan of JplayMini. By "a huge gap between ROON/JPLAY and JplayMini", what do you mean?
SinglePC Windows 2019 standard core + MinimServer + JPLAY Streamer + BubbleUPnP, BubbleDS. Plays only Red Book tracks and one track at a time. Pure magic, full of air and emotions, rich and colorful tonality, holographic body, details, organic bass, resembles a tube Neumann mic.

Alternative: SinglePC WS2019 standard core + local music library + Foobar2000, Foobar2000 controller Pro. Plays everything from Red Book to DSD, single tracks or playlists. A solid all around player that resembles a Shure or Rode mic.

#10 Phxtriode

Phxtriode

Beginner

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:23 PM

I'm a big fan of JplayMini. By "a huge gap between ROON/JPLAY and JplayMini", what do you mean?

The sound quality improvement with the JPLAYmini over Roon/JPLAY

#11 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:46 PM

Great! You've confirmed my hunch. Thanks.
SinglePC Windows 2019 standard core + MinimServer + JPLAY Streamer + BubbleUPnP, BubbleDS. Plays only Red Book tracks and one track at a time. Pure magic, full of air and emotions, rich and colorful tonality, holographic body, details, organic bass, resembles a tube Neumann mic.

Alternative: SinglePC WS2019 standard core + local music library + Foobar2000, Foobar2000 controller Pro. Plays everything from Red Book to DSD, single tracks or playlists. A solid all around player that resembles a Shure or Rode mic.

#12 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:37 AM

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same behaviour, here, using the same configuration (Windows Server 2016 core mode + AO 2.20b6) but with RoonBridge installed.

Effectively, I'm using the computer as Single PC but as a Roonbridge Endpoint. RoonServer is installed on a fedora 27 minimal install on another PC with bridged LAN cards.

Volume is set to fix.

Note that there is the same problem with AO reset via ST -R.

I'm unable to play music with hibernate ON. In fact Roon seems to play music the audio path is OK but no sound comes from my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 V2Se.

With hibernate off I get sound. Perhaps this behaviour with hibernate mode is due to y DAC. What is amazing is that with the non upgraded DAC (W4S DAC-2se) hibernate ON was OK 5 years ago.

At this time I will try dual PC configuration with JPLAY + AO + Windows Server 2016 with RoonServer on control PC to see what's happen with this configuration as soon as everything will be installed.

It is likely due to hibernate mode which really should be run in JPLAY dual PC mode. 

I will give it a try this evening. Unfortunately I subjected myself to JPLAYmini @ 700hz/.01ms last night and got nothing done... just sat and enjoyed the music. What a huge gap between Roon/JPLAY and JPLAYmini. I will have to sacrifice a bit because I don't want a monitor, keyboard and mouse in my listening room anymore and Roon seems to be the most polished option.

Thank you for replying Marcin.

:)

Have you tried JPLAYStreamer? It should sound at least as good as JPLAYmini, but with ease of use 

#13 DC

DC

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

It is likely due to hibernate mode which really should be run in JPLAY dual PC mode. 

Hi Marcin,

yes I confirm with dual PC mode hibernate ON works but only with Classic engine with my W4S DAC-2 v2SE.

With Ultrastream playback seems OK regarding audio path on Roon and the time bar runs correctly but I get no sound.

Note that the strange behaviour concerning when selecting device setup in Roon causing Jplay disappearance is still remaining with dual PC configuration. 

• Phxtriode likes this

#14 Phxtriode

Phxtriode

Beginner

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:59 PM

:)

Have you tried JPLAYStreamer? It should sound at least as good as JPLAYmini, but with ease of use 

I have not. I just built my server this past weekend and am still learning about all of this. Can I assume you're referring to JPLAYStreamer through mini serve and Kazoo ? I'll search this forum for some guidance about JPLAYStreamer.

#15 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:28 PM

There're excellent instructions and guides in the Manual and Blog sections.

#16 Phxtriode

Phxtriode

Beginner

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:06 PM

There're excellent instructions and guides in the Manual and Blog sections.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users