#1 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

Since I'm in the process of re-ripping my CDs (for the fifth time), I'm just curious what CD treatments or tweaks are you using when ripping?

Special-made PC box + TXCO MSI mobo + I5 4440 (800MHz 5 5 5 9) + (AO 2.20 Core, PL, R2) +  16GB SLC satadom for OS, with 2GB Apacer SLC card&adapter for music + JCAT FEMTO + 3.3 battery PS's + TeraDak ATX-820W  +  SR7EHD-MR4 four rail Paul Hynes PS with silver wiring and  silver DC cables.

SYSTEM: JCAT usb cable =>JCAT Isolator =>  USPCB  => Ifi Ipurifier2 => Regen (powered directly with 3.3V (John Kenny mod) => USPCB (moded for 5V external power) => Diverter HR => Wadia 931/922 (GNSC mod) =>IC Transparent MM2 => Audio Aero Prestige mono's => 2x Valhalla shotgun spk cbl + 2x Bybee speaker bulets => Stacked & moded ESL 57's + JAS SuperTweeters + 2 moded MJ Acoustics Reference I sub's.
POWER4 separate 10 gauge power lines with Furutech Rhodium outlets; power conditioner - Audio Magic "Oracle Liquid Power"; Power cords - Shunyata "King Kobra CX", Stealth Audio "Dream Digital", Audio Magic "Clairvoyant Liquid", Dream State Audio "Lucid Dream".....

TWEAKS: 4 Stein Harmonizers; 3 x RR-777; Entreq Tellus with solid silver wires + separate extra grounding; Stillpoints Ultra SS; Synergistic Research ART..........+ a lot of room treatments....

#2 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

1) Vibration control on the drive

2) Furutech Destat

3) Audio-grade cable between the drive and the PC

4) Linear PSU

5) If it's a USB optical drive then connecting the drive to the JCAT USB Card.

I use EAC in x1 speed, paranoid mode ;)

#3 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Marcin,

Here is what I tried (compared) and use:

- Server 2012 in core mode and PL (my audio PC)

- DBpoweramp (better than EAC)

- Ripping in WAV (better that FLAC)

- AudioDesk CD cutter

- CD Demagnetizer and anti-static

- Plextor external drive very mechanically and EMI isolated. Speed recommended 4x (minimum setting)..

- Same USB chain that I use for playback (JCAT usb cable =>JCAT Isolator =>  USPCB  => Ifi Ipurifier2 => Regen (powered directly with 3.3V (John Kenny mod) => USPCB (moded for 5V external power) into my JCAT Femto.

- 5V I get from Hynes and the 12V directly from Teradak + Ifi DC (Ifi DC make here good improvement).

There is one thing that is tempting me and that is the "Essence of Music" CD treatment! A lot of good reviews, but kind of expensive so I wondered if anyone from this forum tried, or if there is something else that makes and improvement and not already on my list?

http://essence-of-music.com/

Special-made PC box + TXCO MSI mobo + I5 4440 (800MHz 5 5 5 9) + (AO 2.20 Core, PL, R2) +  16GB SLC satadom for OS, with 2GB Apacer SLC card&adapter for music + JCAT FEMTO + 3.3 battery PS's + TeraDak ATX-820W  +  SR7EHD-MR4 four rail Paul Hynes PS with silver wiring and  silver DC cables.

SYSTEM: JCAT usb cable =>JCAT Isolator =>  USPCB  => Ifi Ipurifier2 => Regen (powered directly with 3.3V (John Kenny mod) => USPCB (moded for 5V external power) => Diverter HR => Wadia 931/922 (GNSC mod) =>IC Transparent MM2 => Audio Aero Prestige mono's => 2x Valhalla shotgun spk cbl + 2x Bybee speaker bulets => Stacked & moded ESL 57's + JAS SuperTweeters + 2 moded MJ Acoustics Reference I sub's.
POWER4 separate 10 gauge power lines with Furutech Rhodium outlets; power conditioner - Audio Magic "Oracle Liquid Power"; Power cords - Shunyata "King Kobra CX", Stealth Audio "Dream Digital", Audio Magic "Clairvoyant Liquid", Dream State Audio "Lucid Dream".....

TWEAKS: 4 Stein Harmonizers; 3 x RR-777; Entreq Tellus with solid silver wires + separate extra grounding; Stillpoints Ultra SS; Synergistic Research ART..........+ a lot of room treatments....

#4 say

say

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:50 PM

Man you guys are seriously sophisticated. I gave my outboard cd drive to a friend a while ago. Now I can only rip from the computer. With dbpoweramp’s ripper it doesn’t matter though. Awesome software. First, I clean the disc with distilled water and wipe. I ran out of the fancy disc cleaners from from Ultrabit, Walker Audio, Shine Ola...etc (shoot, I must have tried them all over the past 25 years). Next I do a demag both front and back of the cd. Lastly, rip away.
W8 64-Laptop - i7 3630qm up to 3.4ghz w/ TB > 2 Tbytes usb storage >  8 gigs ram > JPLAY > Pangea USB AG cable > Schiit first generation drivers > Schiit Bifrost > Nordost Valhalla interconnects > Promitheus TVC dual-mono passive preamp > Vincent 331MK amp > Nordost Valhalla speaker cables > Apogee Centaur or Definitive Tech speakers > various tricks and tweaks > Pangea AC 9 SE and TG Audio power cables > APC and VansEvers Cleanline Jr conditioner > Oyaide XXX wall outlet > 20 amp dedicated line > my ears

#5 MINORISUKE

MINORISUKE

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:38 PM

Just rip CDs with an arbitrary ripping program (xrecode III, foobar2000, Windows Media Player, etc.) in one of the lossless formats (flac, WAV, etc.) in any CD drive in any speed, upload the files to an arbitrary cloud service (Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.), and download them back.

The more you repeat upload and download, the better the sound might become.

This is the method introduced by the famous Sony amplifier designer.

Uploading to your home server does not make sense.  The files should travel over the Internet.

It costs you only time, especially at uploading via ADSL2.....

#6 Buellerich

Buellerich

Beginner

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

Minorisuke , are you serious? What is that Hocus Pocus good for?

I could still offer execution of a shaman's dance during ripping proces....

Sascha

#7 MINORISUKE

MINORISUKE

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

Minorisuke , are you serious? What is that Hocus Pocus good for?

I could still offer execution of a shaman's dance during ripping proces....

Sascha

This is not a place to post a joke, I assume.

Just try x5 times upload and download for a short WAV track, for example, and come back here with your comment.

#8 screenmusic

screenmusic

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

This is not a place to post a joke, I assume.

Just try x5 times upload and download for a short WAV track, for example, and come back here with your comment.

Minorisuke that's really nonsense, as a composer, I send music files over internet all the time so I know exactly what it does to the music, it ruins it completely, even if you migrate a file to a pen drive and then put it again in the computer it starts to deteriorate, I 've tried many things as USB isolator to mitigate this and it helps, this is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard, I get surprised by comments more and more. peace

#9 MINORISUKE

MINORISUKE

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

This is the original article written by Mr. Takashi Kanai, the former Sony CD/SA-CD player and amplifier designer.

The Google translation in English is understandable.  Read the last 20%, where the "data laundry" is described.

http://kanaimaru.com.../11/q111212.htm

#10 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

That has probably gone too much back and forth over the Internet. Sorry ;)

AudioPC: Intel S1200KPR ǀǀ Intel Xeon E3-1265LV2 ǀǀ Apacer 75.A83EE.G000C 2GB DDR3 1066 ECC ǀǀ PPA OCXO SATA to CF Adapter with Advantech SQF-P10S2-16G-P8E ǀǀ JCAT USB Card FEMTO
JCAT SATA Cable ControlPC: Intel S1200KPR ǀǀ Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2 ǀǀ Apacer 75.A83EE.G000C 2GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM ǀǀ PPA SATA to CF Adapter with Advantech SQF-P10S2-16G-ATT (for Windows)

PPA SATA to CF Adapter with Advantech SQF-P10S2-16G-ATT (for WAV-files) ǀǀ JCAT SATA Cable ǀǀ JCAT Net Card FEMTO ǀǀ JCAT Reference LAN Cable Software: Windows Server 2016 Standard

Total Commander 9.12 ǀǀ JPLAY 6.2 ǀǀ Audiophile Optimizer 2.20b5 ǀǀ MinimServer 0.8.5.2 ǀǀ Upplay 1.2.8 Audio equipment: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB ǀǀ JCAT Reference USB Cable

PPA red AES/EBU XLR Cable ǀǀ Harmony Design Pre 906 with 24-steps ELMA and inbuilt DA900 D/A Converter and Ear909 Headphone Amplifier ǀǀ Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 with Furutech Rhodium XLR Sennheiser HD800

#11 joelha

joelha

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to challenge Minorisuke on this one.

I haven't tried his suggestion so I can't comment on it in particular.

But I've been humbled plenty of times by suggestions that "I was sure" wouldn't work.

As a result, I'm not as quick to dismiss these kinds of ideas.

I would have missed out on too many good suggestions had I done otherwise.

Joel

#12 Buellerich

Buellerich

Beginner

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

Screenmusic and Tomslin. ++ 1

#13 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:09 AM

I tried and I use a lot of crazy stuff and tweaks in my system and this one that Minorisuke suggested, sounds crazy and completely oppose my experience and like Screenmusic said: "this is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard"!

The copy of my music files never sounded the same as the original, doesn't matter how I copied! Always lost bit of dynamics, clarity...

But, like Joel said, don't just disregard the man and the suggestion, specially if it cost nothing to try!

So, I copied two songs back and forth 5 times (via Google drive) and, to my surprise, the dynamics and clarity improved, compared to the "original"! Totally the opposite from my previous experience with DIRECT CONNECTION !

One thing I still have to try and that is if the other CD treatments, really, in the end doesn't make a difference with this "tweak"!

Since all the CD tweaks that I use, have a cumulative benefit, I still believe that they will improve further, but again, the best way to be sure is to try!

Thanks Minorisuke for this excellent advice!

As for the rest, my advice is TRY IT..... it cost nothing and THEN share your experience! Don't talk about the horse that you never ride......tell us about the one you did!

• thuanb likes this

#14 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:21 AM

I've tried and preferred original rips. I guess it's system dependent.
Windows 2016 Core + AO + JPLAY + PPA single or dual fanless PCs

KS 170Hz, 0.01s, Hibernate off
Or
WASAPI 700Hz, 0.01s, Hibernate on (possibly 85Hz under the hood)

#15 Buellerich

Buellerich

Beginner

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

SIMA66, how could a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy ever be better than the original, unless you change the original by purpose?

If possible, try to execute your up and download procedure with a mqa file. If your DAC is still able to decode it as an mga file, the file must be unchanged, otherwise the copy procedure is not bitperfect. 

#16 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

Bit-perfect is not everything. Otherwise you wouldn't be here as JPLAY would not even exist. 

#17 Buellerich

Buellerich

Beginner

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

Yes, that is true, but in spite of not being a Computer expert, it is appears Logical to me that using different programming techniques i.e. different compilers may give different results from the same file being red. An unchanged Information however must sound unchanged, when being red by the same Software. Anything else is VOODOO.

#18 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

Since I'm in the process of re-ripping my CDs (for the fifth time), I'm just curious what CD treatments or tweaks are you using when ripping?

https://www.ebay.com...dUAAOSwmrlUrUbl

used with good result

• Marcin_gps likes this

#19 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

Yes, that is true, but in spite of not being a Computer expert, it is appears Logical to me that using different programming techniques i.e. different compilers may give different results from the same file being red. An unchanged Information however must sound unchanged, when being red by the same Software. Anything else is VOODOO.

Unchanged is only if it's not rewritten. And even if not rewritten, the sound will change after some time: freshly written tracks will sound better than those that sit on a drive for 6 months or longer. This is my experience. 

• screenmusic likes this

#20 MINORISUKE

MINORISUKE

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

Mr. Kanai put a remark that all his articles on his personal Web site during his assignment at Sony had been approved by the HQ PR.  So, this article about "digital laundry" can be regarded as Sony's official comment.

This "CD/DVD finaliser" was my favourite, as I played disks without ripping.

It may be still effective to use before ripping, unless you upload files to the Internet.

The light bulb lasts for about several hundreds of disks, and you must replace it.  The cost per disk is not so low.

http://www.6moons.co...tech/nespa.html

Personally, I do not upload and download files any more, but use a network switch in my playback chain instead.

• Marcin_gps likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users