#1 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:17 AM

I use the Singxer SU-1 Audio bridge to bring an i2s input to my W4S DAC2V2. I'm trying a new driver(4.36) and have an issue. I have a 2 pc streamer with AO and Jplay. I use Kernel streaming. I can no longer use Ultrastream with the new driver for the SU-1. Xtream and Classic work fine. As soon I try Ultrastream, my Audio pc crashes. Xtream and Classic sound good, but I know Ultrastream is the best Jplay engine.

I've tried the Jplay dac link and pc buffer, the Singxer driver buffer settings, the pc clock settings. Nothing stops it from crashing as soon as it tries to play any music file using the Ultrastream engine.

I had no Ultrastream issues with the old driver (3.34) I was using. Any ideas???

• Rob likes this

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20 / Jplay 6.2 / Fidelizer Pro / Process Lasso /

Bug Head Infinity Blade Version 7.23

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Jcat Femto usb card >  iFi Gemini 3.0 cable > iFi Igalvanic3.0 > Pachanko RUR link > iFi Micro iusb 3.0 reclocker > iFi mercury 3.0 cable  > Singxer SU1 i2s > Wireworld Silver HDMI cable > Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp <bi-amping> Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system  powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources with Ice Age Audio and Pachanko power cords.

Also use  Pachanko Reference SATA cables.

#2 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

bad driver

#3 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

bad driver

Obviously there is a difference in the drivers where the new one doesn't work with Ultrastream. However, it does work with Classic and Xtream engines. I'm wondering what is different about the way Ultrastream works and perhaps if I change a setting somewhere it might work...........hummm. 

I'm trying to find out also on the Computer Audiophile SU-1 thread if anyone has Ultrastream working with this driver.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20 / Jplay 6.2 / Fidelizer Pro / Process Lasso /

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Jcat Femto usb card >  iFi Gemini 3.0 cable > iFi Igalvanic3.0 > Pachanko RUR link > iFi Micro iusb 3.0 reclocker > iFi mercury 3.0 cable  > Singxer SU1 i2s > Wireworld Silver HDMI cable > Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2V2 DSDse >

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp <bi-amping> Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system  powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources with Ice Age Audio and Pachanko power cords.

#4 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

Are there any settings available in that driver? 

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#5 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

Hi Marcin

You can see a screenshot of the SU-1 driver in this post from CA:

https://www.computer...&comment=748144

I've tried the driver buffer settings and safe mode with no luck. In output, you can select 2 channels 24 bit or 2 channels 16 bit. I've tried 44.1 khz files with Jplay native or Jplay force 24 bit to match the bit selection in the driver, still locks up the audio pc.

If I turn hibernate off, the audio pc does not lock up but the Jplaysettings no longer works. The jplay service is still running in task manager but does not appear to actually be running.

I would say it is an incompatible driver but Classic and Xtream work fine.

So what is different in the way ultrastream works that locks up the pc or causes Jplay service to malfunction

#6 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Moderators
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:36 PM

Hi Franran,

Does Ultrastream work with ASIO? I noticed on the CA forum that one poster had to set the 4.36 driver for ASIO first and then set the player to KS (albeit a different player) to get it to work with Ultrastream.

Is the problem occurring when using Bug head? Have you tried JPLAYmini with Ultrastream? If not, and you subsequently find that it works with Ultrastream and KS, that might point to the combination of Bug head and the new driver as the cause of the problem.

If JPLAYmini also does not work with Ultrastream, rather than driver incompatibility, perhaps a glitch occurred during the driver installation?

In that case, something else to try (if you haven't already): reinstall the driver in GUI mode after uninstalling Fidelizer Pro, fully resetting AO and shutting down Process Lasso. Then test your configuration stepwise. Try music playback with hibernate off and before reinstalling Fidelizer Pro, optimizing with AO, running PL or switching to core mode.  If that works, install Fidelizer Pro and test playback. If that works optimize with AO and try playback. If that works switch to core mode and try playback again. If that works go to hibernate mode and test again. Finally, if all is still good, try with Process Lasso running.

Hope something here helps.

Cheers,

Bernie

• franran likes this

Control Point: Apple iPad (9th gen), 64Gb storage, 3Gb RAM, JPLAY for iOS 1.0.17; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, 128Gb storage, 4Gb RAM, Bubble UPnP 4.3.3.1; Dell Inspiron 15 5510 laptop (Windows 11 Professional (x64) Version 22H2 (build 22621.3007), Intel Core i7-11390H, 2.93 GHz, 512Gb KIOXIA M2 PCIe NVMe (RAID) SSD, 16Gb DDR4 3200 MHz RAM), Upplay 1.7.1.

Control and Audio-PCs: Asus Mini PC PN60, Intel Core i5 8250U 1.6 GHz, 250Gb Kingston A2000 M2 NVMe SSD and 8Gb DDR4 2400 MHz RAM.

OS: Windows Server 2019 (Standard Edition) in highly optimized Desktop mode, command prompt shell for initial setup after which Control and Audio-PCs run headless (monitor, keyboard and mouse disconnected).
Optimization: Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, ES151 as Local Service via TrustedClean 3.1b-server on RAM Disk on Control and Audio-PCs (TC settings used are detailed in in the TC3.1 guide below). Process Lasso Server Edition 14.0.1.10, additional Windows processes/services stopped via registry editor, task manager and a modified CAD DSK script. For the full optimization procedure see my Guide for Optimizing WS2019 in a Dual or Single PC JPLAY Femto-Based System (revised 5 July 2023).

RAM Disk: Download guide for automatically creating a RAM Disk and using TrustedClean 3.1 to install MC, LE, or ES as a service here (8 Nov 2023).

Renderer: JPLAY FEMTO 7.0D UPnP (Alternative version), Server: JPLAY FEMTO 7.0D femtoServer, File Manager: Q-Dir 11.4.9.0, Library Manager: JRiver MC 32.0.6.
JPLAY Settings: Playing via: KS, Engine: ULTRAstream, Bitstream: Native, Bitperfect Volume: OFF, DAC Link: 1000, XtreamSize: 1000, Throttle: ON, Hibernate Mode: ON.

Dual PC Equipment Configuration: Control Point Tablet/Laptop > WiFi > Control-PC > 1m SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC > 3m Chord C-USB Cable > Rotel 1590C > 2m Mogami NEGLEX RCA to XLR cable with Neutrik connectors) > March Audio P501 Monoblocks with Purifi 1ET7040SA modules > DIY speaker cables (Tycab PVC doubly insulated 11 AWG OFC wire, TechFlex braid, Neotech Banana/Spade connectors) > Bryston PX-1 external crossovers > DIY speaker cables (as before) > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers. AC power filtered/cleaned via Thor A12BF Smart Power Board. 

Music Storage: Main Library: 6Tb Seagate HDD/Hub+6Tb Seagate HDD (all connections via 0.5m Avencore Premium USB 3.0 cables); Backups: as per Main Library (x2).

#7 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:09 AM

Hi Bernie, always sound advice coming from down under!  :)

Yes, I've tried Jplaymini as well as my usual Bughead. Both crash the audio pc with Ultrastream. I've tried going to gui abd reinstalling. I've tried shutting down Fidelizer, Lasso and AO. All have no effect on the issue. I may try to uninstall Lasso and Fidelizer.

With this new SU-1 driver set at lowest latency, I'm really enjoying Jplaymini on the Classic engine. I set both pc clocks to 15.6ms (Clock 3 setting in regedit). Sounds relaxed, rich and organic........not as dynamic as BH but a nice change. Listening to Weather Report - Heavy Weather in DSD. Sounds really good.

I'll try a few more things here tomorrow. Perhaps Marcin or Josef will have insight into the issue.

#8 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • LocationSillycon Valley

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:20 AM

One more item to check or look into, imho, would be the network card settings on both controlPC and audioPC. With the new driver, it's possible current settings need to be retuned or at least revisited to be able to accommodate the Ultrastream engine.
  • franran likes this
WS2019 core, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY/JCAT XE/iOS, ES/TC, Xeon CPU, Industrial ECC RAM, Gustard X26, Singxer SU6, Linkwitz Pluto 2.1+

#9 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:33 AM

Thuan, that suggestion makes a lot of sense. It is acting like it would if the network settings were the issue.

I will try that............tomorrow. Thanks 

#10 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:01 AM

Thuan.......I tried it right away. I changed both NICs tx and rx buffers from 1 to 128. Still crashed with Ultrastream  :unsure:

#11 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Moderators
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:39 AM

Just a thought, but perhaps the receive buffer needs to be greater than 128. The Rx to Tx ratio on both my Control and Audio-PC network cards was initially 4:1 and I now have the Tx set at 128 with the Rx set at 512. Comparing apples and oranges I know, but easy enough to try. By the way, are you running the Audio-PC in GUI or core mode when it crashes?

• Thuan likes this

Control Point: Apple iPad (9th gen), 64Gb storage, 3Gb RAM, JPLAY for iOS 1.0.17; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, 128Gb storage, 4Gb RAM, Bubble UPnP 4.3.3.1; Dell Inspiron 15 5510 laptop (Windows 11 Professional (x64) Version 22H2 (build 22621.3007), Intel Core i7-11390H, 2.93 GHz, 512Gb KIOXIA M2 PCIe NVMe (RAID) SSD, 16Gb DDR4 3200 MHz RAM), Upplay 1.7.1.

Control and Audio-PCs: Asus Mini PC PN60, Intel Core i5 8250U 1.6 GHz, 250Gb Kingston A2000 M2 NVMe SSD and 8Gb DDR4 2400 MHz RAM.

OS: Windows Server 2019 (Standard Edition) in highly optimized Desktop mode, command prompt shell for initial setup after which Control and Audio-PCs run headless (monitor, keyboard and mouse disconnected).
Optimization: Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, ES151 as Local Service via TrustedClean 3.1b-server on RAM Disk on Control and Audio-PCs (TC settings used are detailed in in the TC3.1 guide below). Process Lasso Server Edition 14.0.1.10, additional Windows processes/services stopped via registry editor, task manager and a modified CAD DSK script. For the full optimization procedure see my Guide for Optimizing WS2019 in a Dual or Single PC JPLAY Femto-Based System (revised 5 July 2023).

RAM Disk: Download guide for automatically creating a RAM Disk and using TrustedClean 3.1 to install MC, LE, or ES as a service here (8 Nov 2023).

Renderer: JPLAY FEMTO 7.0D UPnP (Alternative version), Server: JPLAY FEMTO 7.0D femtoServer, File Manager: Q-Dir 11.4.9.0, Library Manager: JRiver MC 32.0.6.
JPLAY Settings: Playing via: KS, Engine: ULTRAstream, Bitstream: Native, Bitperfect Volume: OFF, DAC Link: 1000, XtreamSize: 1000, Throttle: ON, Hibernate Mode: ON.

Dual PC Equipment Configuration: Control Point Tablet/Laptop > WiFi > Control-PC > 1m SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC > 3m Chord C-USB Cable > Rotel 1590C > 2m Mogami NEGLEX RCA to XLR cable with Neutrik connectors) > March Audio P501 Monoblocks with Purifi 1ET7040SA modules > DIY speaker cables (Tycab PVC doubly insulated 11 AWG OFC wire, TechFlex braid, Neotech Banana/Spade connectors) > Bryston PX-1 external crossovers > DIY speaker cables (as before) > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers. AC power filtered/cleaned via Thor A12BF Smart Power Board. 

Music Storage: Main Library: 6Tb Seagate HDD/Hub+6Tb Seagate HDD (all connections via 0.5m Avencore Premium USB 3.0 cables); Backups: as per Main Library (x2).

#12 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • LocationSillycon Valley

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:22 AM

How about resetting AO, uninstalling JPLAY, FP, PL, uninstalling both network drivers and the questionable driver including their folders,
removing both ifi IG3 and RUR. Then, install network drivers and SU1 driver, leave their settings at default, install JPLAY, run a dry test (KS and US might or might not work depending on your setup), then run AO to optimize, FP, PL, IG3, and RUR still being left out of the loop. Key is to start from default driver settings, without extra software and hardware. Just some random thoughts.
WS2019 core, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY/JCAT XE/iOS, ES/TC, Xeon CPU, Industrial ECC RAM, Gustard X26, Singxer SU6, Linkwitz Pluto 2.1+

#13 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

I've tried everything I know of to get the new SU-1 driver to work with Ultrastream to no avail. I am convinced it has to do with Jplay and the new driver only.....not other components or programs. 

What settings in Jplay affect Ultrastream only? I do not know the difference in how Ultrastream and Classic and Xtream work. Perhaps Marcin or Josef can explain a bit the difference in the Ultrastream engine. Then I may be able to figure out a way to make it work.

#14 Josef

Josef

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

Settings are the same, ULTRAstream has lower latency due to zero-copy design (and apparently it's too low for that particular driver version....)

#15 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:36 PM

Hi Josef, are there any settings that tweak Ultrastream latency within Jplay.....or does zero copy mean there is no latency adjustment?

#16 Josef

Josef

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

No special settings - best thing to do is to ask driver's author to run debug build of driver and see where it trips....

#17 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hi Marcin

You can see a screenshot of the SU-1 driver in this post from CA:

https://www.computer...&comment=748144

I've tried the driver buffer settings and safe mode with no luck. In output, you can select 2 channels 24 bit or 2 channels 16 bit. I've tried 44.1 khz files with Jplay native or Jplay force 24 bit to match the bit selection in the driver, still locks up the audio pc.

If I turn hibernate off, the audio pc does not lock up but the Jplaysettings no longer works. The jplay service is still running in task manager but does not appear to actually be running.

I would say it is an incompatible driver but Classic and Xtream work fine.

So what is different in the way ultrastream works that locks up the pc or causes Jplay service to malfunction

Have you tried lowering the buffer setting in the driver panel? I have a report from one user that this driver works very well with JPLAY & UltraStream Engine up to DoP256 using DAC Link 700Hz/0.01s - so lowest latency possible. 

#18 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:56 AM

Have you tried lowering the buffer setting in the driver panel? I have a report from one user that this driver works very well with JPLAY & UltraStream Engine up to DoP256 using DAC Link 700Hz/0.01s - so lowest latency possible. 

Thanks Marcin, that gives me a new line of attack on this issue. I have not been able to get my DAC link that low. I will try some things with my dual pc network to get the DAC link latency low. I have lowest latency set on network Rx &Tx buffers. Perhaps if I raise them a bit I can achieve that DAC link setting.

#19 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:28 AM

I was able to get the dac link to play at 700hz/0.01sec. I did this by doing 2 things. I changed the Rx & Tx buffers on my network card from 1 to 8. I also changed the clock speed on both pcs to 0.5 msec. Now I can play Xtream and Classic at the lowest dac link/latency with the new Singxer driver. However Ultrastream still crashes the audio pc.

I have the choice of the new driver with Classic or Xtream or the old driver with Ultrastream. I am going back to the old driver and Ultrastream. Now with my new clock and NIC settings, I can achieve 170hz/.01secs setting with the old driver. It is the best it has ever sounded. So this new driver challenge actually wound up improving the old driver's setup for me.

I will not give up Ultrastream. It has the smoothest, organic, and pleasing sound profile. The Xtream and Classic engine, although greatly detailed with the new driver are a bit harsh compared to ultrastream/old driver.

Marcin, the person who has the new Singxer driver working with Ultrastream....is he using a dual or single pc setup? Is he using WS2012 OS?

• Thuan likes this

#20 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:34 AM

It's MINORISUKE - he posted on computer audiophile. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users