45 replies to this topic

#1 jma6

jma6

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

Hi Marcin

In a previous topic and post you recommended very highly to use a CF card with the CF-Sata adapter ( with high precision clock ) and you mention the Apacer brand extended temperature range ( -40 to +95 C )

Those cards are extremely expensive about 6 to 7 time more than the Apacer normal temperature range ( up to 70C )

Which kind of sonic improvement brings those expensive card and does the gap with the normal range is big  ?

Thankl's

• DavKeerb likes this

#2 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:00 AM

The cost comes from SLC type memory, not from the industrial temp. range. 

In short: the sound is more dynamic, has more clarity and is more refined with these cards. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

Want to squeeze more from your PC-audio? Hear the difference with JCAT

#3 jma6

jma6

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

Thank for your answer , since those card are quite expensive and it is not easy to fin a reliable CF-esata adapter .

Does SLC SSD like the new  SanDisk SSD PLUS SLC 120 Go could be a good second choice ?

I have mother board with Sata II and sata III slot is it better to run it from sata II ?

#4 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:41 PM

Hi,

If you thinking about PPA SATA-CF adapter with OCXO or TCXO, you should know that these don’t will work with all motherboards.

I value SQ very highly therefore my choice would be a PPA clock modified SSD if I not could use CF, or probably even better his SATA-TF adapter instead of a generic SSD.

/Tomas

AudioPC: Intel S1200V3RPS, Intel Xeon E3-1230LV3, Apacer AP2GITETLQ1K3 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC, JCAT USB Card Femto,
JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto

ControlPC: Intel S1200KPR, Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2, Apacer 75.A83EE.G000C 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC (for Windows), SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRAFS-NR (for WAV-files),

JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto, JCAT Signature LAN Cable

Software: Windows Server 2019 Standard, Total Commander 9.21a, JPLAY 7 Femto, Audiophile Optimizer 3.00, Upplay 1.4.1

Audio equipment: JCAT Reference USB Cable, Harmony Design Pre 906, Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 with Furutech Rhodium XLR, Sennheiser HD800

#5 jma6

jma6

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:02 PM

Hi,

Do you know if PPA. Sata-Cf adapter will be compatible with this mother board ?
https://www.supermic.../X10/X10SBA.cfm

#6 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

It is compatible. I build an audio PC based on that motherboard some time ago

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

#7 jma6

jma6

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

Hi Marcin ,

Thank for your reply  .  I ordered this board a few days ago .

Were you satisfied with the audio quality of this board , any advice in setting up this board for dual pc audio system ?

#8 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

It's a good board :)

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#9 jma6

jma6

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

Thank's Marcin , it makes my day  :)  :) .

I just receive the board today and will test it in the coming days .

Did you power it with the ATX or the 12 V ? i intend to power it with 12 V as it is one of the reason to select this one .

#10 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

12V

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#11 jma6

jma6

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:11 AM

Hi Marcin

I have been reading to understand the superiority of slc memory compare to mlc.
It seems it is linked to the latency to access memory.
slc about 25 microsecond
mlc about 70 microsecond
Is my understanding correct in your opinion ?

#12 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

Very possibly

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#13 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:00 PM

Hi guys,

For a couple of weeks ago I bought some new CF-cards of different brands for testing purposes. And one of them, Advantech, sounded very, very good in my ears. Imo it’s better than Apacer, and also better than the KingSpec that I used earlier. KingSpec seems to be a bit too noisy, after that comparison.

The biggest difference lies in more black sound with less noise, and better dynamics :)

You can easily find it on the market if you want to try it and I think the price is affordable.

(The type designation is in my signature).

Tomas

• Adrian likes this

AudioPC: Intel S1200V3RPS, Intel Xeon E3-1230LV3, Apacer AP2GITETLQ1K3 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC, JCAT USB Card Femto,
JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto

ControlPC: Intel S1200KPR, Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2, Apacer 75.A83EE.G000C 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC (for Windows), SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRAFS-NR (for WAV-files),

JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto, JCAT Signature LAN Cable

Software: Windows Server 2019 Standard, Total Commander 9.21a, JPLAY 7 Femto, Audiophile Optimizer 3.00, Upplay 1.4.1

Audio equipment: JCAT Reference USB Cable, Harmony Design Pre 906, Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 with Furutech Rhodium XLR, Sennheiser HD800

#14 jma6

jma6

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:29 AM

Hi Tomas

Thank you for this very interesting return . I was searching on the web for different type of cf cards and I have seen this one which is fairly easy to source.
Initially i did not select it as it is not the fastest in debit as Marcin recommended the CF6 in the apacer range which is the fastest.
Anyhow following your findings I will definitely try this one.
There seem to be a "golden" balance in computer audio between speed , low latency and noise generated by higher speed.
I.e. Sata ll sound better than Sata lll , lan 100 mb better than lan 1gb. Slower processor speed usually better and your finding with this cf card.
The difficulty is only experiment will tell the différence and it is also somewhat system dépendant. .
  • Tomslin likes this

#15 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:40 AM

speed isn't everything, !!

And,

Tomslin has more experience of CF card, than most of the people here,

• Tomslin likes this

I'm listening to the music , not gear
Sound says more than numbers.

Xeon CAPS- Heavily upgraded Schiit EITR- EAR Yoshino DAC- EAR Yoshino Pre Amp- EAR Yoshino AMP- Speakers

#16 jma6

jma6

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:40 AM

Hi Marcin

Merry Christmas.

One quick question on micro x10sba motherboard.
Which kind of 12v power supply did you use ?
Is it worth to use extremely good power supply such as Paul Hynes SR7 ?

#17 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

I used few models. The better PSU was, the better SQ, so definitely worth going for PH if you have the funds

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#18 jma6

jma6

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

Hi Tomas and Marcin  ,

Thank's for all your good advices .

I have a friend who has implemented a CF Advancetech ( 8GB) card on the player part of a dual PC running with Roon . He is very happy with the nice improvement he got on the quality of the sound .

However he is facing a small difficulty , sometimes it takes several trial for the system to start he is using this MB  Gigabyte H81M-S1

Any idea to solve that?

#19 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

If it's an issue related to CF-SATA Adapter detection in BIOS, there is not much that can be done. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#20 jma6

jma6

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

Thank for the answer Marcin  .

What are the model of mother board/bios that you will recommend to avoid this difficulty since the use of the CF card is really a big plus for the sound quality ?

Other than my  new Super Micro X10 SBA that you confirm will be ok  . I have not yet tested CF card on it .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users