• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aljordan

aljordan

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

I have uploaded the first version of a JPLAYmini playlist editor to my website.  Its free because I wrote it for myself, and I don't want to go broke paying myself for it.  Here are the details:

Requirements:

Features:

• Supports tag reading for FLAC, and M4A (apple lossless) files.
  • Supports WAV and AIFF but with no tag reading, and will determine artist and album title from your directory structure if that structure is somewhat common.  See the help file for more details.
  • Sort by Artist -> Album
  • Sort by genre if tags are used.
  • Save and load playlists if you wish, but you don't have to save a playlist to play it in JPLAY.
  • Can be run over a network.  You can have a version running on your music server, and control it with another version on your laptop so you don't have to get out of the chair and walk all the way across the room and stand there to pick out music.
  • See http://www.alanjorda........Editor.jpg for a look at the program in action.
  • There are probably more features but I can't think of them right now.
Issues:

• Song order maintained in the playlist will not neccessarily coincide with the order that JPLAY plays the songs until Josef implements the feature for playing m3u playlists by line order.
  • It has not been tested thoroughly because I still haven't bought JPLAY because I still want to make sure that it sounds as good as I think it sounds and the periodic silence in the trial version is driving me nuts.
  • The software does not really support international character sets, so I'm not sure how well it will work for music libraries with non-english characters in the file names.  I would like to offer such support, but unfortunately I don't know how to.  If there is a Java programmer out there who does know how to, please contact me.
  • My spelling isn't very good and this web editor does not underline my mistakes.
 When first running the program:

[*]Make sure you have a Java Runtime Environment on your computer.  Not having one will cause no harm, but will keep this program from working as well.
    [*]Download the program from http://www.alanjorda........Editor.zip
    [*]Unzip it to a convenient location.
    [*]Try double clicking the JPlaylistEditor.jar file.  If that doesn't work try double clicking the JPlaylistEditor.bat file, because not all systems can execute a jar file directly.  If that doesn't work, you most likely ignored the requirement to have a java runtime environment on your computer.
    [*]Please fully read the help file found under the "Help" menu -> "JPlaylist Editor Help".
    [*]If you use FLAC or Apple Lossless files, check "Settings" -> "Use embedded Tags When Processing FLAC and M4A Files".
    [*]In the "Settings" menu, check "Enable sending playlists to JPLAY mini", then, in the box that pops up, browse to the folder where JPLAY is installed and select JPLAYmini.exe.
    [*]In the "Manage Library" tab, press the "Set Playlist Directory" button, and browse to or create a folder to store your playlists.  This must be done even if you don't plan on saving playlists, because the program writes out a temporary playlist to send to JPLAY mini.  I would use something convenient, like a folder called "Playlists" under your Documents folder.
    [*]In the "Manage Library" tab, press the "Add" button next to the empty "Libraries" list, then in the resulting pop-up, browse to the root folder or drive that contains your music library.  If you have a large music library, this will take a long time, specifically if it is reading tags in FLAC and M4A files.  Don't worry, you only have to do this once (until you add more music to your library).  If you have multiple libraries on different disks or folders, you can add them all here if you wish.  When the program is done recursing through your music library, it will say "finished" or something like that next to the "Status" label.
    [*]When the step above is finished, select one of the libraries you created in the Libraries list, then switch to the "Playlist Editor" tab, and hopefully you will see lots of Artists:Albums in the left list box.  At this point you can try creating a playlist, but don't press play until you have started up JPLAYmini, because the program won't send a playlist to JPLAY unless JPLAYmini is already running.
    [*]Ignore the "JPlay Controls" tab for now.  It can only work over a network, and I haven't tested that yet.

Network Use:

[*]Do all the above steps on the computer that runs "Playlist JPLAY and is hooked up to your stereo system.
    [*]Check "Settings" -> "Act as Server".  A Windows Firewall warning may appear, asking you to unblock the feature that the program will use.  If you want to control JPLAY over the network, you will have to allow this.  The network status area will show the IP Address of the computer (something like 192.168.0.137).  You will need to remember this number to plug into the client.
    [*]Download another copy of JPlaylistEditor to the computer with which you want to control the stereo from (the client), and unzip it.
    [*]Start the program either by double clicking the .jar file or the .bat file.
    [*]On the client, check "Settings" -> "Act as Client", and enter the IP Adress you remembered above in the resulting pop-up box.
    [*]Any libraries set up on the server can be downloaded to the client by pressing the "Get" button.
    [*]Select a library, switch to "Playlist Editor" tab, create a playlist, and press the "Play" button.

Hopefully those who like JPLAY mini will find pogram useful.  If you have any suggestions for improvement, please let me know.  I'm not promising I'll incorporate them, but I'd at least like to know what works, what doesn't work, and how to make the program better.

Alan

#2 hugson

hugson

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

I probably won't use this since I have already got my setup working in the way I want.

But I congratulate you on your generosity, and the help you have already provided above - it's very well written, and seems pretty comprehensive. And I couldn't find any spelling mistakes! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

#3 Sligolad

Sligolad

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Just set it up here....simplicity itself, well done.

I hope it gains some traction here as it feels like it comes with the same pedigree as Jplay with the simple but effective interface.

Will do some listening with it over the coming days.

Again well done and thanks!/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

Audio PC Gigabyte H97M-D3H & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v for Mobo, 5v for clocks & 5v supply to Audiowind Regulator for 1.3v to RAM direct, JCat Femto USB Card 5v from Paul Hynes, Startech Lex – Amber Regen to JCat USB & Startech Rex to Lex by 2x Meicord LAN through GISO GB Isolator powered by Teddy Pardo 18v Linear, Wtfplay off USB on REX – remote control by Mele F10, D to D PPA Red USB Cable - Intona - LFP 3.3v battery powered USB Regen – Isolated Xmos 768kHz USB DDC powered by 2 x 3.3v 0.8uV Linear Regs – i2s - D to A - Lampizator Big7, Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS, Classe CA 2200, Raidho C1s. Recent changes in red.

#4 Sligolad

Sligolad

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

OK will need some more playing with, it played the first track but did not move on to the second track.

It is loading the tracks normally in Jplay mini but for some reason Jplay mini is stalling after the first track.

Spacebar does not move on to the next track either, will play some more with it tomorrow to see what is going on./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif

Audio PC Gigabyte H97M-D3H & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v for Mobo, 5v for clocks & 5v supply to Audiowind Regulator for 1.3v to RAM direct, JCat Femto USB Card 5v from Paul Hynes, Startech Lex – Amber Regen to JCat USB & Startech Rex to Lex by 2x Meicord LAN through GISO GB Isolator powered by Teddy Pardo 18v Linear, Wtfplay off USB on REX – remote control by Mele F10, D to D PPA Red USB Cable - Intona - LFP 3.3v battery powered USB Regen – Isolated Xmos 768kHz USB DDC powered by 2 x 3.3v 0.8uV Linear Regs – i2s - D to A - Lampizator Big7, Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS, Classe CA 2200, Raidho C1s. Recent changes in red.

#5 Sligolad

Sligolad

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

Success....rebooted computer and all working fine now, so thumbs up from me/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

#6 Peter_T

Peter_T

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

Lots of thanks Alan,

I downloaded your program and it is very much the "front-end" for Jplaymini I wanted. Nice work/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

I still have some problems with the sorting of tracknames in the middle column:

If I make a library index without tags, selecting an album gives all the track-filenames, but in random order. All my track-filenames have numbers, so I wonder why this column is not sorted?

If I make a library index with tags, then I see the tracknames (middle column) as taken from their tag-fields, also in random order and without a tracknumber. Most of my tag-tracknames have no number, because these can be found in their tracknumber-tag. If you could use these tracknumber-tags and show them in the middle column and then sort them : that would really be very convenient! That is what I tried to propose in my post 6 in thread :

New playlist editor for JPLAYmini, and a request.

I hope this explanation is clear enough : it gets confusing with all the combinations of tag/track/name/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

But again : nice work and I appreciate it that you are willing to share it with all of us!

Cheers

Peter_T

Music on Synology DS211j wire connected to router; NUC-server(I3-running W2016-core with AO and Jriver MC21) with 2 NIC's (one outboard); wire connected with NIC2 to the router and with NIC1 to a SOTM200; DHCP server installed on NIC1; SOTM200 connected via USB cable to a Chord eQute DAC. Two Sbooster (12V) LPSU's for the SOTM and the DAC; DAC>Passive Preamp > AudioNote Conqueror > Quad ESL988 – REL StrataIII sub; MF XCAN-VPB; > Sennheiser HD560 Ovation

#7 aljordan

aljordan

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:29 AM

Peter_T said:

Lots of thanks Alan,

I downloaded your program and it is very much the "front-end" for Jplaymini I wanted. Nice work/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

I still have some problems with the sorting of tracknames in the middle column:

If I make a library index without tags, selecting an album gives all the track-filenames, but in random order. All my track-filenames have numbers, so I wonder why this column is not sorted?

If I make a library index with tags, then I see the tracknames (middle column) as taken from their tag-fields, also in random order and without a tracknumber. Most of my tag-tracknames have no number, because these can be found in their tracknumber-tag. If you could use these tracknumber-tags and show them in the middle column and then sort them : that would really be very convenient! That is what I tried to propose in my post 6 in thread :

New playlist editor for JPLAYmini, and a request.

I hope this explanation is clear enough : it gets confusing with all the combinations of tag/track/name/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

But again : nice work and I appreciate it that you are willing to share it with all of us!

Cheers

Hi Peter,

I'll try sorting the middle column by track number when they are available in tags.  When not using tags, I default to the natural sort order of the operating system.  In my library I have ripped with track numbers as part of the filename, so I have no issues there.  If you don't do that, I don't think there is any hope of getting the tracks in the right order without tags.

I'll post when I have sorted the tagged tracks by track number.

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users