19 replies to this topic

#1 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:35 PM

Advice please ! I have been running dual-PC Jplay for about 2 years - first with WS2012 and then Windows 10. No problems with either. Had to replace my Audio-PC recently, configured the new machine exactly the same as the old one and now cannot get connectivity when 'Searching LAN for Audio PC' on Jplay settings panel. Tried all the recommended troubleshooting - turned off firewall on both PCs - tried static IP address on both PCs - edited regedit settings as per troubleshooting guide. Pings and telnet work OK in both directions

Finally, did a total rebuild on both PCs. Fresh install of Win10 and Jplay6.2 - no other software is running on either machine. Tried direct physical connection as well as via switch. Briefly - I could get the Audio PC to locate the Control PC but not the other way round - even this has now stopped working !!

Advice please before I rip out what tiny amount of hair I still have !!!

#2 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

Update on above prob - telnet WAS working OK before. Just tried telnet to port 48168 and get connect failed - this is in BOTH directions with firewall at both ends disabled ! Also, tried telnet to other ports - eg 80, and that doesn't work either.

Advice from Jplay guru please !

#3 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:08 AM

Hi hillbear,

Queries

1. When you say you turned off the firewall, did you go into Windows Services (on both PCs), disable the Firewall in properties and then stop it there so that it shows up as disabled and not running?

2. In Settings -> Network and Internet is your ethernet shown as being connected (on each PC) when both PCs are running?

Bernie

Control and Audio PCs

Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptops with Intel Core i7-3612QM (2.1 GHz) and 16 (Control-PC) or 8 (Audio-PC) Gb DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

Software

Windows Server 2016 with Audiophile Optimizer 2.20 beta 5 in Virtual Core Mode on Control-PC (via Fidelizer 7.4 free, modified CAD Desktop Services Killer Script and manual software tweaks) and on Audio-PC (via Fidelizer 7.8 Pro and 7.4 free, CAD Windows 8.1 Optimization Script, modified CAD Desktop Services Killer Script and manual software tweaks); JPLAY 6.2 with ULTRAStream engine; JRiver MC19 as DLNA Server; Upplay 1.2.8 as Control Point; Process Lasso Server Edition 9.0.0.402; Q-Dir 6.69

Equipment Configuration

Control-PC > SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC > Chord Silver Plus USB Cable > Uptone Audio Regen (Amber) > Curious Cable USB Regen Link > Luxman DA-06 > Chord Chameleon Plus XLR Interconnects > Luxman L-505u > Van Den Hul Teatrack Speaker Cables > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers with external crossovers

Music Storage

Samsung Story 2-Tb ext HDD (USB to Control PC) plus two 3-Tb Seagate backups

#4 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:04 AM

Hi hillbear,

Please tell us what is the IP address of your controlpc and IP address of your audiopc. 

Best regards,

Marcin

#5 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for replies,

Bernie - Yes, firewall disabled in settings and Yes, both Ethernet ports connected - hence ping working

Marcin - Control Pc ip address is 192.168.1.156/24 and Audio PC is 192.168.1.127/24. As I say, pings work - telnet doesn't work - firewall disabled !!

#6 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

As I say, pings work - telnet doesn't work - firewall disabled !!

If ping works the ethernet connection itself is most likely not the problem. Check that the Telnet client is still enabled. If not, that's probably the reason Telnet doesn't work.

To check Telnet go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> click on "Turn Windows features on or off", when the features list is completed scroll down to Telnet client, if the box is not ticked, tick the box, click OK, restart the PC.

Control and Audio PCs

Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptops with Intel Core i7-3612QM (2.1 GHz) and 16 (Control-PC) or 8 (Audio-PC) Gb DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

Software

Windows Server 2016 with Audiophile Optimizer 2.20 beta 5 in Virtual Core Mode on Control-PC (via Fidelizer 7.4 free, modified CAD Desktop Services Killer Script and manual software tweaks) and on Audio-PC (via Fidelizer 7.8 Pro and 7.4 free, CAD Windows 8.1 Optimization Script, modified CAD Desktop Services Killer Script and manual software tweaks); JPLAY 6.2 with ULTRAStream engine; JRiver MC19 as DLNA Server; Upplay 1.2.8 as Control Point; Process Lasso Server Edition 9.0.0.402; Q-Dir 6.69

Equipment Configuration

Control-PC > SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC > Chord Silver Plus USB Cable > Uptone Audio Regen (Amber) > Curious Cable USB Regen Link > Luxman DA-06 > Chord Chameleon Plus XLR Interconnects > Luxman L-505u > Van Den Hul Teatrack Speaker Cables > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers with external crossovers

Music Storage

#7 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

Bernie - telnet enabled OK on both PCs. Cannot telnet to any port on either machine !

As I said, firewall disable in both control panel AND DISABLED in Windows Services

Thanks

#8 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

hillbear: in the JPLAY Settings window on the Control-PC, where it says "Audio PC" it should say "This computer [127]. Does it?

What is the /24 at the end of the IP addresses you posted?

Control and Audio PCs

Software

Equipment Configuration

Music Storage

#9 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

Hi Bernie - it only says .127 when I hardcode the AudioPc in regedit - otherwise there is nothing

/24 is shorthand for 255.255.255.0 - in other words 24 bits of subnet mask

I can't understand why telnet between PCs won't work - however I CAN telnet to port 80 on the default gateway from both PCs - strange indeed !

I thought maybe my broadband router may be doing something as it's plugged into the same switch but I hardwired the PCs together and same problem - so I have a direct cable and NO active firewall - so I can't think what is stopping the connection. Maybe a funny within Windows 10 ??

#10 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:15 AM

Hi hillbear,

Firewall is down on both PCs, ping and telnet initially worked OK in both directions, now after total rebuild they don't, but each PC can separately telnet to the default gateway, and Control-PC can't see Audio-PC via JPLAY.  Correct?

I may be grasping at straws here, but is it possible that before the rebuild there may have been something amiss in the JPLAY registry settings that prevented the Control-PC seeing the Audio-PC? Then after the rebuild the ip address on the Audio-PC changed (I've seen this happen when installing new OS versions before)?

So have you checked the ip address (via ipconfig in a command prompt) on the Audio-PC after the rebuild? If not, it would be worth checking just to be certain.

Sorry if the following seems too obvious but I'm just trying to cover all bases so please bear with me (better to be safe than sorry). Can you confirm that in your registry settings you have:

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JPLAY6

Audio-PC = name<name of Audio-PC>  ip<correct Audio-PC ip address>

Host = correct Audio-PC ip address

Single PC Only = 0

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JPLAY6

Streamer Destination = correct Audio-PC ip address

Cheers,

Bernie

Control and Audio PCs

Software

Equipment Configuration

Music Storage

#11 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

I'd try with a different Ethernet cable, but before that - do you have audio interfaces on both PCs? If not then JPLAY service will not start and that could be the reason why dual PC mode doesn't work. 

#12 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for your comments - to summarise (sorry, maybe I haven't made it clear)

Audio Pc - 192.168.1.127

Control PC - 192.127.1.156

Both 255.255.255.0 - DHCP

Direct Cat6 cable between PCs - no switch or router

Pings work in both directions

Telnet works on both machines - but ONLY to Default Gateway on port 80

Firewall DISABLED on both machines - in other words, there is nothing between these 2 PCs to stop it working !

Regedit parameters checked as suggested - AOK

No audio interface on Control PC

TBH - I don't think it's a JPLAY-related issue - clearly physical network is OK - so maybe Win10 ? (I also had the same issue with WS 2016)  !!

#13 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:55 AM

Control PC should be 192.168.1.x

And you need audio interface on control PC, can be virtual asio bridge. Otherwise JPLAY Service won't start. 

#14 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

Thanks Marcin - typo - Control PC is 192.168.1.156

I misread you last message about audio interface and disabled it on Control PC ! Now enabled

Same problem persists I'm afraid - please note - both PCs work perfectly in Single-PC mode - they just won't talk to each other (apart from ping)

Is there any other information that I can supply to you ??

#15 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

Did you restart control PC after enabling audio interface? Please check LAN cable and if that fails I can connect to see if I can find out anything. 

#16 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

Hi Marcin - yes, to both questions. I have Teamviewer running on both machines

Thanks

#17 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:08 AM

Hi Marcin - yes, to both questions. I have Teamviewer running on both machines

Thanks

Hi hillbear,

If Marcin determines the nature of the problem and solves it, could you please post the details?

Thanks,

Bernie

Control and Audio PCs

Software

Equipment Configuration

Music Storage

#18 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hi Bernie - Sure ! Thanks

#19 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

Marcin kindly connected to my PCs today and discovered the problem was - Jplay on the Audio PC was still set up for 'single-play Jplay' so when I tried to connect via Control PC - I got error !
Simple as that - thanks for other comments

#20 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:21 AM

Hi hillbear,

Sorry, I should have mentioned also checking the registry settings on the Audio-PC for Single PC = 0. We could have caught this earlier.

Cheers,

Bernie

Control and Audio PCs

Software

Equipment Configuration

Music Storage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users