koblongata

Beginner

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

I am looking to buy a low voltage tiny TV stick PC and use it as Audio PC:

https://www.amazon.c...d=A384FG4JDQB7Q

But it has got only a 100Mb Lan port...

Got me wondering, has anyone got experience with going with 100Mbits only? it is stable and does it affect SQ?

#2 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

Everything affects SQ. 100Mbit does not sound as good as 1Gbit based on my experience. The lower network bandtwidth, the heavier and less transparent the sound becomes. 

• koblongata likes this

#3 koblongata

koblongata

Beginner

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

How about 10G fibers? might get dual Supermicro boards with 10G SPF+ ports for my new setup, wondered if anyone has experienced with it?

(and then wondered if I should go with single mode or multi mode, or there is no difference, but and then if single mode, bidi or dual LC duplex... the question grows on, I guess unless I really try I will not know but any suggestion would be really helpful!)

#4 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

I'm not a fan of optical conversions. 

#5 GAR

GAR

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationMorristown, NJ USA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:09 AM

Hi Marcin,

I was thinking of buying a second router and placing it near my audio gear to run Ethernet direct into my Windows Laptop. Alternatively, I was thinking about putting the laptop exclusively on the 5 GHz band on my current router. My DAC is USB only.

Will one of these alternatives be superior to the other in terms of SQ?

#6 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

I'd rather recommend a switch or a wired router. Wireless connection is not the best idea. 

#7 GAR

GAR

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:00 AM

I'd rather recommend a switch or a wired router. Wireless connection is not the best idea. 

Ok, thanks. 

I saw you wrote this elsewhere:

"In my opinion, USB is still the way to go as the best sounding connection between a PC transport and a DAC. But in order to get a truly great sound with a USB DAC, Ethernet must be optimized as well, even if the network connection is used just as a remote control. Not many people are aware of this. Ethernet connection is active most of the time anyway, not always moving audio bytes, but still. And it's connected to your home network which then connects to the AC grid. It can be noisy. "

​How does one go about optimizing Ethernet?

#8 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:20 PM

Getting a JCAT Femto NIC would be an excellent start.
  • Marcin_gps likes this
Windows 2016 Core + AO + JPLAY + PPA single or dual fanless PCs

KS 170Hz, 0.01s, Hibernate off
Or
WASAPI 700Hz, 0.01s, Hibernate on (possibly 85Hz under the hood)

#9 GAR

GAR

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:26 PM

Fair enough. And what about this "issue" -

From another audio forum: Your USB interface uses XMOS drivers from M2TECH, correct? What date/version are these drivers? From a quick check I gather they are from 2010. Is that correct? If they are, then you first have to blame the drivers for the USB interface sound quality and not the actual USB connection. The most recent drivers for XMOS right now (4.14) are way better in SQ from whatever there was available from 2010 and if you want to deliver something that is as good as it gets, or you want to draw more precise conclusions you should address that issue.

My DAC manufacturer told me "I don’t use the DAC with Windows machines so I can’t really comment but I would assume having the most up to date driver is a good idea unless you have experienced problems with that specific driver in the past. Your DAC has a C-Media USB interface. If you would prefer a XMOS device it can be changed."

Would changing the USB interface in this way produce a change / significant upgrade in sound quality?

Gary

#10 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,113 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:53 PM

Correct. This + some adjustments in the driver panel / system + a better LAN cable.

Fair enough. And what about this "issue" -

From another audio forum: Your USB interface uses XMOS drivers from M2TECH, correct? What date/version are these drivers? From a quick check I gather they are from 2010. Is that correct? If they are, then you first have to blame the drivers for the USB interface sound quality and not the actual USB connection. The most recent drivers for XMOS right now (4.14) are way better in SQ from whatever there was available from 2010 and if you want to deliver something that is as good as it gets, or you want to draw more precise conclusions you should address that issue.

My DAC manufacturer told me "I don’t use the DAC with Windows machines so I can’t really comment but I would assume having the most up to date driver is a good idea unless you have experienced problems with that specific driver in the past. Your DAC has a C-Media USB interface. If you would prefer a XMOS device it can be changed."

Would changing the USB interface in this way produce a change / significant upgrade in sound quality?

Gary

Definitely!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users