• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#321 jeffco

jeffco

Beginner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:37 PM

Jogar, your advice and encouragement are appreciated! 

I am at a point where I have unanswered questions:

1. How to connect the Teddy Pardo to the CPU, is it via the 4-pin plug on the mobo?  Or do I need a pico?  (My cpu is an AMD Athlon 200ge, with a low TDP of 35w. So runs very cool without a fan. I use a full size Corsair case to aid cooling, no fans.)

2 Do you keep the old SMPS in place connected to the 8-pin?  This sounds ideal for me!

3. If I add a decent SATA cable, how do then I get 5v to the SSD?  Do you break open the cable?  I am sure this is a forum topic I have missed. 

4. Using each 5v to power a card AND an SSD is a great idea which suits my ambition and budget. 

5. I now recall why my network card is not set up - I did it in a room remote from the router.  Now I have moved house it is connected by ethernet.  I may need to reinstall all the software, possibly on a new SSD, and use up my last AO key. I will search out the forums but will first need to order the JCAT Net Card. 

6. At present I use only GUI mode in WS12 for the PC, because of limited success with core mode.  Has anyone compared WS12, WS16, and WS19 in GUI mode only?  Ease of use and SQ? 

• Olyaer likes this

#322 Jogar

Jogar

Beginner

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 18 December 2019 - 08:13 PM

Which mobo are you using? If you can provide the make and model details, I can indicate how to connect the Teddy Pardo 12V. Using a low TDP CPU is always an advantage for PSU choices.

Using a decent SATA data cable (like the JCAT Reference for your OS SSD and JCAT HD SATA cable for the album library SSD/HDD, for example) and then a JCAT DC cable to get 5V from the other Teddy Pardo to a single JCAT card - 2.1/5.5 DC connector - and one or two SSDs - SATA power connector(s) - (or two DC cables to use two JCAT cards - one per 5V output plus SSDs) are good ideas - not cheap but worth every cent. I'm sure experienced forum members can help with your last two questions. If it can help you change your mind about using WS in core mode, a basic non-expert guide was posted a while ago:

http://jplay.eu/foru...erver-2016-core

#323 jeffco

jeffco

Beginner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 07:29 AM

The mobo is an MSI Gaming Plus B350.  I built it a year ago, never intending it to be a music PC.   

My current budget is around £1000.  

I like your guide to AO Core mode, and will try it using Q-Dir.  That is a free upgrade, I like those best. 

#324 Jogar

Jogar

Beginner

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:41 AM

You have a couple of options to connect a Teddy Pardo 12V PSU to the MSI mobo:

Option #1 - Teddy Pardo 12V PSU (GX16 connector) to mobo 8-pin CPU ATX connector, keeping SMPS to power 24-pin ATX 

Option #2 - Teddy Pardo 12V PSU (GX16 connector) to mobo 8-pin CPU ATX connector AND to Pico PSU (ATX 24-pin) DC connector (Y-type cable).

Since you're using a low TDP CPU, the Teddy Pardo PSU will have enough power for both options. 

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need more help.

#325 Chanh

Chanh

Beginner

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:48 PM

Hi All,

I have finally received my second network card from Marcin. maby thanks for his prompt delivery.
A question here for those attempted with windows server 2019 core mode. Have anyone of you able to carry out the tweaks from provided cheatsheet with your network card purchase in core mode? I hope to carry out the same tweaks in core mode rather in GUI.
Please share if you were able to..., many thanks in advance.
Chanh.
  • Marcin_gps likes this

#326 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

Congratulations on getting the 2nd Femto netcard, assuming it will be used in a dualPC setup. Yes, many of us here running 2019 core have been able to adjust the netcard’s parameters per the supplied sheet. You need access to the Device Manager and Q-Dir or similar to be able to execute the driver utility program.
  • Marcin_gps likes this
WS2019 ServerDaterCenter 10.0.17763.1282, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, Fidelizer Pro 8.6, JPLAY Femto, MC45, BubbleUPnP.

#327 Chanh

Chanh

Beginner

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

Hi Thuan,
Many thanks for your response. Yes, had always been using dual setup, but previously netcard was in controlpc with it set to Master.
I hope to able to do the same in core mode as it was reported GUI does not sound as good.
I tried DevManView and Q-Dir without success.

Any chance you could share couple screenshots?
Cheers.

#328 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:50 AM

Let's assume the 1st Femto card is in controlPC which running 2019 GUI. The 2nd card will be on AudioPC which is expected to be running 2019 Core. You're trying to adjust the netcard's parameters so its performance will be optimized.

If you don't mind, may I suggest you get the AO3 (AudiophileOptimizer v3) that will give you the Device Manager in core mode in addition to tons of SQ optimizations.

If you're not ready, Q-Dir will let you do over the 95% of the task. After installing the latest driver, the driver utility can be located in the desktop folder. You should be able to find and click on Q-Dir's top right corner to access the desktop and driver utility.
WS2019 ServerDaterCenter 10.0.17763.1282, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, Fidelizer Pro 8.6, JPLAY Femto, MC45, BubbleUPnP.

#329 Chanh

Chanh

Beginner

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:12 AM

Thanks Thuan.

I have got AO3 but yet trying since 2.20 on WS2016. Re-doing my server again now so hopefully get them done soon.

Cheers again.

#330 Patatras

Patatras

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:11 AM

Hi

This net card is very excellent.

There is more air, more details, fluidity, silences are deeper.

A must!

Pierre

• Marcin_gps and Thuan like this

#331 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:19 AM

Hi

A must!

Pierre

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate it. Enjoy :) 

Regards, 
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

Want to squeeze more from your PC-audio? Hear the difference with JCAT

#332 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:09 PM

Hi
A must!

Pierre

Can you tell it's better compared to what?

#333 filorus

filorus

Beginner

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:18 PM

Hello,

I am gathering information for building my DYI fanless Roon Core PC and the JCAT Net Card will be a key component.

To power all that, I was looking at the SOTM SPS-1000 LPSU with the 19V rail to power the mobo, and the 5V rail to power the JCAT. But the 5V rail is limited to 1A current while the JCAT specs mention a minium of 1.5A.

Would that work with 1A current, or do I need to look into another option?

Sorry of the question was already asked, but I went through all the thread and did no find any response to that specific question.

Thanks

MacMini (RoonCore) -> TotalDac with Streamer -> Amp (change in progress) -> KF D66

#334 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:33 PM

Hello,

I am gathering information for building my DYI fanless Roon Core PC and the JCAT Net Card will be a key component.

To power all that, I was looking at the SOTM SPS-1000 LPSU with the 19V rail to power the mobo, and the 5V rail to power the JCAT. But the 5V rail is limited to 1A current while the JCAT specs mention a minium of 1.5A.

Would that work with 1A current, or do I need to look into another option?

Sorry of the question was already asked, but I went through all the thread and did no find any response to that specific question.

Thanks

Hi filorus, 

1A may be enough if you use a single Ethernet port on the NET Card FEMTO, but I'd recommend more powerful LPS. 

Best regards,

Marcin 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

#335 filorus

filorus

Beginner

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:06 PM

Hi filorus, 

1A may be enough if you use a single Ethernet port on the NET Card FEMTO, but I'd recommend more powerful LPS. 

Best regards,

Marcin 

Hi Marcin,

This is what I imagined. As I plan to use both Ethernet slots, I will indeed have to find another LPS option.

Thanks anyway for the advice.

Regards

• Marcin_gps likes this

MacMini (RoonCore) -> TotalDac with Streamer -> Amp (change in progress) -> KF D66

#336 filorus

filorus

Beginner

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:14 PM

Hi Marcin

I am sorry I have another (stupid?) question: on the Femto page, it is written that it is compatible with "All x1-x16 lane PCI Express 2.0 slots".

Would it be compatible with a PCI Express 3.0 slot as well? If yes, would a 4x slot be enough in terms of speed to make it operate at full capacity?

Best regards,

F.

#337 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:39 PM

Hi Marcin

I am sorry I have another (stupid?) question: on the Femto page, it is written that it is compatible with "All x1-x16 lane PCI Express 2.0 slots".

Would it be compatible with a PCI Express 3.0 slot as well? If yes, would a 4x slot be enough in terms of speed to make it operate at full capacity?

Best regards,

F.

Hi Filorus, 

Yes, PCIe  3.0 is supported as well. x4 is fine. Even x1 would be OK. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Marcin 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#338 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:18 PM

Hi Guys, 

I have a favor to ask you who have used the cards, please leave a review and star rating on the Polestar platform. 

Here is the link: https://audiophilest...o-reviews-r284/

Thank you in advance!  :)

Best regards,

Marcin 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#339 Mellowman

Mellowman

Beginner

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNantes - France

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:20 PM

Done  ;)

• Marcin_gps likes this

Hifi must serve the Music.

Not the opposite ;)

#340 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:57 PM

Done  ;)

Merci!

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users