356 replies to this topic

#301 Knightly

Knightly

Beginner

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

Marcin:

Do you have a target date for the release of this new PSU? and a target price?

Howard

#302 Knightly

Knightly

Beginner

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

Hi,

If you run your computer with the generic SMPSU you will have a lot to win with upgrade your power supply. The better quality of power feed, better the performance and SQ will be, it's simple like that. This also applies to JCAT USB cards, in my experience. I have experimented quite much with different PSU solutions in recent years. I hardly believe one can find any excessively good PSU at the market today for to use with these cards. But some nearly unreasonably expensive, though.

Good luck with your experiments.

best regards

Tomas

Thanks for the advice Tomas.  While I await the release and pricing of Marcin's new PSU, I will probably experiment with the 5V LPS offered by Small Green Computers to power the Net Card Femto.  It's reasonably priced ($160) and comes with a 30 day trial.

Or were you referring to a power supply for the whole computer?

Howard

#303 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the advice Tomas.  While I await the release and pricing of Marcin's new PSU, I will probably experiment with the 5V LPS offered by Small Green Computers to power the Net Card Femto.  It's reasonably priced ($160) and comes with a 30 day trial.

Or were you referring to a power supply for the whole computer?

Howard

You are welcome!
I'm talking about Jcat card and also the computer in general, because the quality of every power feed is important.

• Jogar likes this

AudioPC: Intel S1200V3RPS, Intel Xeon E3-1230LV3, Apacer AP2GITETLQ1K3 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC, JCAT USB Card Femto,
JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto

ControlPC: Intel S1200KPR, Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2, Apacer 75.A83EE.G000C 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC (for Windows), SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRAFS-NR (for WAV-files),

JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto, JCAT Signature LAN Cable

Software: Windows Server 2019 Standard, Total Commander 9.21a, JPLAY 7 Femto, Audiophile Optimizer 3.00, Upplay 1.4.1

Audio equipment: JCAT Reference USB Cable, Harmony Design Pre 906, Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 with Furutech Rhodium XLR, Sennheiser HD800

#304 Jogar

Jogar

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:19 PM

Fully agree with Tomslin. The quality of the DC power cables which link your card/motherboard to the power supply are also just as important IMHO. Regards.

• Marcin_gps and FelipeRolim like this

#305 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:11 AM

Marcin:

Do you have a target date for the release of this new PSU? and a target price?

Howard

Q4 this year. The PSU will be expensive as it's a cost-no-object design. 

Regards, 
Marcin

• Adrian and Thuan like this

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#306 Tomslin

Tomslin

Die Hard

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:01 PM

Fully agree with Tomslin. The quality of the DC power cables which link your card/motherboard to the power supply are also just as important IMHO. Regards.

Yes, indeed. You are absolute right. But I, as a electrical technical, more consider cables as a part with the PSU. With its own resistance, inductance and capacitance as influence the SQ, like as every single component into the PSU. Connectors are also important if we should talk about components "outside" the PSU. If we are to complicate it further, the AC mains power is also included in the game about SQ, for these who don't use batteries. Sorry for OT in this JCAT thread.

Q4 this year. The PSU will be expensive as it's a cost-no-object design. 

Regards, 
Marcin

Will be interesting to see :)

Best regards

Tomas

• Jogar likes this

AudioPC: Intel S1200V3RPS, Intel Xeon E3-1230LV3, Apacer AP2GITETLQ1K3 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC, JCAT USB Card Femto,
JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto

ControlPC: Intel S1200KPR, Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2, Apacer 75.A83EE.G000C 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC DIMM,

SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRANS-ETNRC (for Windows), SATA to CF Adapter with Apacer AP-CF016GRAFS-NR (for WAV-files),

JCAT Reference SATA Cable, JCAT Net Card Femto, JCAT Signature LAN Cable

Software: Windows Server 2019 Standard, Total Commander 9.21a, JPLAY 7 Femto, Audiophile Optimizer 3.00, Upplay 1.4.1

Audio equipment: JCAT Reference USB Cable, Harmony Design Pre 906, Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 with Furutech Rhodium XLR, Sennheiser HD800

#307 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:30 AM

There is a real beast dual rail PSU coming from JCAT very soon (proprietary design) ;) I can't wait to show it to you guys

Regards, 
Marcin

#308 jhoney

jhoney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:04 PM

Is this similar to the Rednet system by Focusrite?

#309 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:25 AM

Is this similar to the Rednet system by Focusrite?

No. Focusrite Rednet is a dedicated Dante audio interface whereas JCAT NET Card FEMTO uses Ethernet and can be be used in any system.

Regards,
Marcin 

#310 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

NET Card FEMTO reviewed by Audio Gallery in Italy

Grazie! 

71048262_553116352127999_518247996081569

• Adrian and FelipeRolim like this

#311 kubauz

kubauz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:25 AM

Guys, if anyone is interested, I just wanted to let you know that the NET Card FEMTO works natively with roon ROCK

attachicon.gifRoonROCK on Z390 with JCAT.jpeg

Hi Marcin,

Thank you for your great contribution to digital computer Audio. I am imprest of your international sucess with JCAT Brand.

I would like to ask for configuration of NET Card FEMTO with Roon ROCK. 

I built a PC Server with micro ATX motherboard and Intel processor with SSD Sata Samsung disk. No PCI cars conected.

I installed Roon Rock and connected it to ASUS Router and then to Sotm 200 Ultra and a DAC. It works wery well and stable in my network. Although I belive Router centric signal path degrades SQ that is why I am looking to a way to ommit Router.

My intention is to conect Sotm directly to Roon Rock (as a music server) (I would like to avoide instaling other OS like Windows or Linux. I like simplesity of Roon Rock and I belive it gives the best simple base for SQ - correct me if I am wrong).

Do you know if Roon Rock correctly recognize NET Card FEMTO and can operate with Sotm (end point) while Roon Core will be operating with Router at the same time. Roon Rock needs its connection with Internet, Tidal and my other part of network where I have second stereo equipment.

I hardly imagine how to do any configuration of network in Roon Rock OS because it works automaticaly and there is no configuration menu.

Thank You for you support in Advance

#312 Velopl

Velopl

Beginner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

Hi

I've ordered JCAT NET card on 24th of October but apart form email confirmation I haven't heard anything yet. Please could someone let me know what is usual lead time? My order nr is #3155

Regards

Lukasz

#313 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:45 AM

Hi

I've ordered JCAT NET card on 24th of October but apart form email confirmation I haven't heard anything yet. Please could someone let me know what is usual lead time? My order nr is #3155

Regards

Lukasz

Your order ships today - you will receive the notification via email

Hi Marcin,

Thank you for your great contribution to digital computer Audio. I am imprest of your international sucess with JCAT Brand.

I would like to ask for configuration of NET Card FEMTO with Roon ROCK. 

I built a PC Server with micro ATX motherboard and Intel processor with SSD Sata Samsung disk. No PCI cars conected.

I installed Roon Rock and connected it to ASUS Router and then to Sotm 200 Ultra and a DAC. It works wery well and stable in my network. Although I belive Router centric signal path degrades SQ that is why I am looking to a way to ommit Router.

My intention is to conect Sotm directly to Roon Rock (as a music server) (I would like to avoide instaling other OS like Windows or Linux. I like simplesity of Roon Rock and I belive it gives the best simple base for SQ - correct me if I am wrong).

Do you know if Roon Rock correctly recognize NET Card FEMTO and can operate with Sotm (end point) while Roon Core will be operating with Router at the same time. Roon Rock needs its connection with Internet, Tidal and my other part of network where I have second stereo equipment.

I hardly imagine how to do any configuration of network in Roon Rock OS because it works automaticaly and there is no configuration menu.

Thank You for you support in Advance

The NET Card is a plug & play with Rock OS. 

You may assign e.g. 192.168.1.2 to the streamer and 192.168.1.1 to one of the ports on the NET Card

Here is a picture of the NUC with Rock OS and the NET Card FEMTO connected directly to the Playback Designs endpoint

Attached File  IMG_8792.jpeg   361.28KB   4 downloads

• Velopl likes this

#314 jeffco

jeffco

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationEmsworth, uk

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

Just had an enjoyable day reading about the JCAT Net Card and JCAT USB Card, and especially enjoyed the Pursuit Perfect Systems A/B comparisons, which were compelling. Embarrassed to say, they sounded better than my system - via You Tube!  

So I have work to do on the PC, and I will soon order both.

As for power supply, the dual 5v Teddy Pardo would be first choice: I use Teddy Pardo i80a Amp and a TeddyDAC which both contain "SuperTeddyRegulators" which are his trademark Naim-beater power supplies. 

But to save cash, has anyone tried this?  A dual output LPS for $149. I found it via a Taxman 2 link. 

https://www.aliexpre...be-008bcc37dab9

Control PC: AMD Ryzen 2400g, MSI 350 Gaming Plus, 16gb ram, Audio PC AMD Athlon 2200g, MSI 450B, 16gb ram. Jcat USB card. Both run Win Server 19 core mode, Jplay Femto, Audiophile Optimiser, MinorityClean 56.  Amp: Teddy Pardo i80a, Dac: Teddy Pardo Teddydac,  Naim Allae speakers. 

#315 Jogar

Jogar

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:28 AM

Hi Jeffco,

This dual output LPS looks like a Teradak. If it's a Teradak, it's good quality and will work fine with fairly stable outputs, although with a different sound signature compared to Teddy Pardo LPS.

A good LPS is only half of the equation of course, the other half being quality DC and mains cables.

Regards.

• Thuan likes this

#316 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • LocationSillycon Valley

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:28 PM

It's sometimes system dependent. TeddyPardo 3A 5v seems more dynamic so I'm using it to feed controlPC's JCAT FEMTO network card. Without better, available alternatives I'm using iFi Micro iUSB3.0 (2.5A) and Nano iUSBA3.0 (2A) to power AudioPC's JCAT FEMTO USB and netcard respectively. Turned out the arrangement is giving me the sweetest SQ I've ever had.
  • Jogar likes this
WS2019 core, AO3 (1A/2D), JPLAY/JCAT XE/iOS, ES/TC, Xeon CPU, Industrial ECC RAM, Gustard X26, Singxer SU6, Linkwitz Pluto 2.1+

#317 jeffco

jeffco

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationEmsworth, uk

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I have today ordered the JCAT Usb Card -  I shall make the JCAT Net card my 2nd hardware upgrade,

I have been reading more in the last two days, and now want to replace the SMPS on the PC.  But I guess that in my basic system, the new USB card will have even more work to do so I should get a better SQ improvement. 

Good to hear you rate the Teddy Pardo 3A 5V power supply, Thuan.  I have heard back from him about the Dual-5 power supply, and this is a neat way to power both cards. I am already using his power supplies in three of my Hi Fi components. 

This is the trouble with reading this Forum - I also "need" an audiophile SATA cable!  (and mains cables!?) But I trust the Jplay Forums - they led me to install not only JPlay Femto, but also Audiophile Optimiser and Windows Server 12.  Still smiling. 

• Marcin_gps likes this

Control PC: AMD Ryzen 2400g, MSI 350 Gaming Plus, 16gb ram, Audio PC AMD Athlon 2200g, MSI 450B, 16gb ram. Jcat USB card. Both run Win Server 19 core mode, Jplay Femto, Audiophile Optimiser, MinorityClean 56.  Amp: Teddy Pardo i80a, Dac: Teddy Pardo Teddydac,  Naim Allae speakers. 

#318 Jogar

Jogar

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:18 PM

I'm using a Teddy Pardo 12V for CPU power and the dual 5V to power two JCAT cards and 2 SSDs. Teddy kindly designed the dual 5V for me and it works and sounds fantastic, despite the workload. I chose Teddy Pardo PSUs because they have amazingly low noise floors despite being SMPS. I use one JCAT card per 5V output along with an SSD because the JCAT cards need more current (about 1.5A according to Marcin) than SSDs (less than 1A), to avoid putting two JCAT cards on the same 5V output. The DC cables are JCAT and the SQ of Teddy Pardo and JCAT equipment combination is right up there. No need to look elsewhere IMHO.

• Marcin_gps likes this

#319 jeffco

jeffco

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationEmsworth, uk

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:36 AM

Due to you, he now lists the dual 5V as a standard item

Teddy Pardo recommended to me the 12v 4.5A power supply for the main PC power, but how do you use it?  Do you use a Pico?  I don't think I want to go that route. 

Jogar, you have a single PC setup, did you find the JCAT Net Card worthwhile?  In my PC, to make Jplay Femto work with my Bubble remote, I have to use a wireless adapter, not the Ethernet.  Surely a JCAT Net Card would not benefit me!

Or have I gone wrong in the setup?   This is why I am starting by ordering just the JCAT USB Card. 

I share the love for the Teddy power supplies, as do dozens on the Naim Forum, who, like me, have changed from the Naim Hicaps (linear) to the TeddyCaps,  If he makes a dedicated CAT power supply I will be the first to buy. 

• Marcin_gps and Jogar like this

#320 Jogar

Jogar

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 18 December 2019 - 03:57 PM

Hi Jeffco,

Your question on how to use PSU for the main PC power is for many of us a 6 million dollar one. The ideal scenario is a low noise LPS like HDPLEX 400W which can fully power most PCs, but annoyingly they're always out of stock and difficult to get hold of. (BTW Marcin is actively working on a product which hopefully will do the same but with better SQ). In the meantime, that leaves us scratching our heads with a choice of using SMPS for 24-pin ATX power, Teddy Pardo/other LPS 12V for the CPU (and/or Pico) and 5V for the JCAT cards and SSDs/HDDs, but the type of motherboard/CPU is a key issue. If the processor has a moderate TDP of say 50W, the Teddy 12V will be powerful enough (provided the mobo has a separate 4- or 8-pin CPU ATX connector), but if the TDP is over a 100W or so there aren't many LPS which can do the job properly (Teradak is one). In my experience, using a Teddy 12V to power the CPU alone gives such a huge improvement in SQ that it's impossible to go back. That along with a 5V Teddy for the JCAT cards and SSD/HDDs gives a further very substantial improvement. Quality DC and SATA cables are just as important too IMHO. The overall result is superb SQ. 

After some exchanges with Marcin about the JCAT USB card, I also wondered whether the JCAT Net Card would be a worthwhile investment, and after he encouraged me to try, I have to admit that I had a surprise, because it seemed to 'free up' the music I was hearing and it became so natural, aired and fluid. Today, I can't imagine setting up an audio PC without a JCAT Net Card, it's such a unique product which was designed to be used by ethernet. Wifi is fine for remote control only. It's important to take a bit of time to properly set up your network to get JCAT Net Card working by ethernet and remote control by wifi. There's lots of good advice on the forum about this. Yours ears will be grateful. In all modesty, it seems to me that you're doing just great so far with some fine equipment too. I hope some of my thoughts can help. Regards.

• Thuan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users