This article shows the needed steps and the correct order to get WASAPI in Windows Server 2016 Core Mode. Be aware that this does only work with Windows Server 2016, it does not (yet) work with Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2. To get WASAPI in Core Mode you need at least AO 2.20 Beta 5 or newer.
At the time of writing this article AO 2.20 Beta 5 is not yet available for download on our homepage. But the countdown for its public availability is already ticking, so don't sweat it
You do not need to do a reset using SerivceTool before you install the new AO version, just follow these steps in the correct order:
- download AO 2.20 Beta 5 from our download portal
- copy setup.exe to your Audio PC and then run setup.exe
- Install your DAC/DDC Driver, reboot the System (Skip this step if your DAC/DDC already works with KS in 2016 Core)
- It is most likely needed that you install, then completely uninstall and then reinstall your driver in Windows Server 2016 Core Mode to get it working
- Depending on your driver you might also need to press F8 before boot and disable the driver signature enforcement.
- If your driver needs compatibility mode to be installed, you are recommended to use ServiceTool's DriverHelper feature to install and/or uninstall your driver. See the PDF manual for detailed instructions.
- Do not underestimate this. Chances are very high that your driver will not work out of the box!
- run "AO -WASAPI" to launch the WASAPI injector and say YES to the question if you want to install the experimental WASAPI support. During the procedure it is absolutely normal that the screen will go blank for a while (might be 1 or 2 minutes), just wait and let AO do its job. Be awaree that the WASAPI injector is a dedicated part of AO which is not available during normal runs of AO.
You can now install JPLAY, RoonServer, TIDAL, HQPlayer or whatever your player of choice is. If you like to check the sound control panel you can do so by entering "mmsys.cpl". If you want to launch the device manager you can enter "devmgmt.msc" to launch it. For both device manager and sound control panel your current location (path) does not matter.
Now run AO again and do a full run with your desired settings. During this run you do not need to install KS & MediayPlayer or Roon Support again, the WASAPI injector has already done so for you.
Now everything is ready to launch your player for the first time
IF THINGS DO NOT WORK:
...DON'T PANIC! This is most likely because your driver is not yet properly installed. To resolve this you need to completely uninstall and delete your DAC/DDC driver. It is important that you use the uninstaller from your driver to do so. Once your driver is properly removed and your system rebooted, you can install the driver again using the DriverHelper of ServiceTool. Once your driver is properly installed things will work as expected. If you struggle with the driver installation and finally can't get it to work on your own then post this thread to get some help of me and others who alread went through this: http://jplay.eu/foru...ur-dacddc-work/
I want to use the chance and say a big THANK YOU to all those who helped testing AO 2.20 Beta 5 during the closed beta phase. There were nearly 100 iterations of Beta 5 during the development phase and the last improvements of the code went in just a few days ago. Thanks to all of you for contributing to AO in such a helpful and generous way. Those of you who use AO since Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2 know that WASAPI in Core Mode always has been a dream for many of us. WASAPI in Core was on my side for nearly 4 years now. Personally i think the WASAPI injector is the biggest achievement (at least it
is the most complex feature of AO by far) in the history of AO, maybe even more important than making Kernel-Streaming work in core mode a few years ago. For the second time Highend-AudioPC demonstrates unmatched expertise in the field of Windows computer audio.
We got dozens of emails from people who wanted to know what the cost of the AO 2.20 update will be, and now come the really good news... No matter how much work we've put into AO 2.20, it will be a free of charge update for all AO 2.00 and 2.10 customers! Many of those asking the price upfront to release then asked if and how they can donate something for our efforts, so we've put together a little donation page for that purpose. So if you feel the need to honor the countless hours of work we had making this finally possible, please feel free to donate whatever you like by using this page here: https://www.highend-...asapi-donations
We really hope you enjoy the new possibilities of AO 2.20 Beta 5.