Photo

Windows 10 Creators Update’s UAC2 driver – Is it better than OEM driver?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Windows X

Windows X

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

Warning: This is purely subjective listening tests. Please keep in mind this is personal opinion and speculations.

I’ve been eagerly to test this for a long while but I have been so busy lately with lots of things to do now. Today I finished some works and have some free time to do some small tests. I’ll use Hiface Two to test between new UAC2 driver in Windows 10 Creators Update and M2Tech USB Audio Driver.

Windows 10 Creators Update’s UAC2 Driver: It works. It doesn’t sound that bad. I find Windows 10 sounding a lot similar to Linux/OS X now. Maybe it’s sound from mapping to UAC2 interface in firmware. Hires and DSD DoP formats worked too.

M2Tech USB Audio Driver: Are you kidding me? This makes Windows 10’s UAC2 driver sounds duller. It brings better transparency and cleaner sound with this driver. I also enjoy music better with improved transient attack and slam of dynamics.

The sound improvement is no less from Windows 10 v1607 to v1703 to my ears. If you set to streaming buffer to Low Latency option, it’ll sound much more closer to real instruments. It’s a shame that OS X/Linux audiophiles won’t be able to compare and experience this greatness.

Since the result is so obvious, I tried to find the reason why and this is probably why. Here’s how Windows 10 Creators Update’s UAC2 driver works.

UAC2 OS driver -> UAC2 interface driver -> kernel driver

Windows 10’s UAC2 driver will route to UAC2 interface provided in firmware to interact with actual kernel driver. This UAC2 driver is more like a mapper to UAC2 interface driver in hardware device. And here’s how M2Tech USB Audio driver works.

USB Audio driver -> kernel driver

Native UAC2 driver will interact with kernel driver directly. It can stream 24/192 format at 3ms latency. I tested “Minimum Latency” and I can stream 24/192 file at 256 samples as advertised. Impossible on UAC2 driver.

This generic UAC2 driver thing is good to have. It can make Windows based server solutions much easier for those who can’t build a real turnkey Windows based server like Nimitra. However, I recommend to use OEM driver because it’ll be better for most of the times.

Transport: Emm Labs CDSD SE (UL toroidal PSU/Blackgate caps)/Self-made music server (Windows based)
DAC: Emm Labs DCC2 SE (UL toroidal PSU/Blackgate caps/upgraded opamps/Discrete buffer bypassed/wiring tuned)
Master Clock: Antelope Isochrone OCX-V (Oscon caps/UL toroidal PSU) + 10M Rubidium Oscillator
Pre: Viola Labs Cadenza
Power: Karan KA S 450
Speaker: Rockport Ankaa
Fidelizer developer from www.fidelizer-audio.com

#2 blawre

blawre

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

Warning: This is purely subjective listening tests. Please keep in mind this is personal opinion and speculations.

I’ve been eagerly to test this for a long while but I have been so busy lately with lots of things to do now. Today I finished some works and have some free time to do some small tests. I’ll use Hiface Two to test between new UAC2 driver in Windows 10 Creators Update and M2Tech USB Audio Driver.

Windows 10 Creators Update’s UAC2 Driver: It works. It doesn’t sound that bad. I find Windows 10 sounding a lot similar to Linux/OS X now. Maybe it’s sound from mapping to UAC2 interface in firmware. Hires and DSD DoP formats worked too.

M2Tech USB Audio Driver: Are you kidding me? This makes Windows 10’s UAC2 driver sounds duller. It brings better transparency and cleaner sound with this driver. I also enjoy music better with improved transient attack and slam of dynamics.

The sound improvement is no less from Windows 10 v1607 to v1703 to my ears. If you set to streaming buffer to Low Latency option, it’ll sound much more closer to real instruments. It’s a shame that OS X/Linux audiophiles won’t be able to compare and experience this greatness.

Since the result is so obvious, I tried to find the reason why and this is probably why. Here’s how Windows 10 Creators Update’s UAC2 driver works.

UAC2 OS driver -> UAC2 interface driver -> kernel driver

Windows 10’s UAC2 driver will route to UAC2 interface provided in firmware to interact with actual kernel driver. This UAC2 driver is more like a mapper to UAC2 interface driver in hardware device. And here’s how M2Tech USB Audio driver works.

USB Audio driver -> kernel driver

Native UAC2 driver will interact with kernel driver directly. It can stream 24/192 format at 3ms latency. I tested “Minimum Latency” and I can stream 24/192 file at 256 samples as advertised. Impossible on UAC2 driver.

This generic UAC2 driver thing is good to have. It can make Windows based server solutions much easier for those who can’t build a real turnkey Windows based server like Nimitra. However, I recommend to use OEM driver because it’ll be better for most of the times.

Which media player are you using?

#3 Windows X

Windows X

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

Which media player are you using?

foobar2000 and also some YouTube videos in Google Chrome. :)

Regards,

Keetakawee

Transport: Emm Labs CDSD SE (UL toroidal PSU/Blackgate caps)/Self-made music server (Windows based)
DAC: Emm Labs DCC2 SE (UL toroidal PSU/Blackgate caps/upgraded opamps/Discrete buffer bypassed/wiring tuned)
Master Clock: Antelope Isochrone OCX-V (Oscon caps/UL toroidal PSU) + 10M Rubidium Oscillator
Pre: Viola Labs Cadenza
Power: Karan KA S 450
Speaker: Rockport Ankaa
Fidelizer developer from www.fidelizer-audio.com

#4 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

I installed  W10 Creators on my Audio PC yesterday to check how native UAC2 driver performs. Unfortunately my DAC with XMOS USB input is detected only as WASAPI and not even event style, so it will not work with JPLAY at all...

Anyway, when I loaded thesycon drivers and listened, the sound seemed better than what I had with W2012R2 server! Very natural - dynamic, but smooth and saturated. Good weight. Very effortless. Anyone who thinks his system sounds thin or miss some fullness should try W10 Creators IMHO

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#5 AudioPhil

AudioPhil

AudiophileOptimizer

• AudiophileOptimizer
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

Hey guys

Did anyone already check about the new "Game" Mode? Does it also apply to media players, or can it be forced to do so? And if that would would work, is it sounding better ir worse?

Best,
AudiiPhil

logo.png

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide | MUTEC MC-3+ USB

ıllıllı [ AO 4.00 BETA ] ıllıllı

#6 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

Enabling Game Mode from Settings Panel is not enough. One needs to activate it in the individual game. 

#7 Buellerich

Buellerich

Beginner

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:41 AM

Hi,

If the new driver is installed by the update and you have a hardware specific driver already installed, how can you prevent thar Window's own driver is kicking in?
In other words: How can you choose among drivers then?

Sascha

#8 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

The Windows driver won't interefere with 3rd party driver as it doesn't work with JPLAY at all... 

#9 wushuliu

wushuliu

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:20 AM

I installed  W10 Creators on my Audio PC yesterday to check how native UAC2 driver performs. Unfortunately my DAC with XMOS USB input is detected only as WASAPI and not even event style, so it will not work with JPLAY at all...

Anyway, when I loaded thesycon drivers and listened, the sound seemed better than what I had with W2012R2 server! Very natural - dynamic, but smooth and saturated. Good weight. Very effortless. Anyone who thinks his system sounds thin or miss some fullness should try W10 Creators IMHO

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised as well. It sounds REALLY good to me... 

• Marcin_gps likes this

#10 motberg

motberg

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

Anyway, when I loaded thesycon drivers and listened, the sound seemed better than what I had with W2012R2 server!

Thanks for the comments - is this comparison vs. W2012R2 server in core mode, or GUI ?

#11 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

GUI

#12 ho5456

ho5456

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

GUI

Prefer GUI SQ?

#13 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

Prefer GUI SQ?

No, I used GUI as it is more convenient to conduct various tests...

• ho5456 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users