Photo

Windows Server 2016 - any good, any better?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#141 AudioPhil

AudioPhil

AudiophileOptimizer

• AudiophileOptimizer
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:26 AM

What about using the freeware Microsoft Hyper-V server for audiophile purposes? You can skip paying a Windows license, legaly.

Hi

No way of getting that to work, sorry. (Already tried!)

logo.png

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 2.10 | PDF Guide | MUTEC MC-3+ USB

#142 RubenV.

RubenV.

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hi!

I am looking forward to upgrade from WS2012 core (audio pc) and GUI (control pc) to WS2016. At the moment I only use WS2012 in combination with HQPlayer+Roon (control pc) and NAA (audio pc). The dac I am using (Lampi GG) has the Amanero usb chip which appears to be working on WS2016 core (according to this thread: http://jplay.eu/foru...ur-dacddc-work/).

Both systems are "headless" and I use Roon on my mackbook to start music, select tracks etc. Do I understand correctly that with the newest AO Beta I could run the control pc in WS2016 Core, still being able to use HQPlayer and Roon?

And is this still the best version to install?

AudioPhil, on 05 Feb 2017 - 7:24 PM, said:snapback.png

@AudioPhil: The link to enroll in the beta is not working for me anymore. Is there a new link?

thanks in advance!

- Case: Streacom FC8 Evo                                           - Harddisk: Intel 520 120GB SSD
- Processor: Intel Core i5 3570T Tray                            - Powersupply: PPA dual rail LPSU + batteries
- Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX                                 - USB/SATA/AES cable: PPAstudio RED
- Memory: Crucial BLT4G3D1337DT1TX0CEU 2X 4GB      - PPAstudio CFreader + DDC
- USB card: PPAstudio pci-express usb3.0 card             

- DAC: dCS Paganini                                                   - Speakers: Linkwitz LX521 + Thor subwoofers

#143 Lotusisrael

Lotusisrael

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

@ AdioPhil

Microsoft Hyper V Server, indeed, does not have a native audio component. It is a stripped down edition of Windows Server, only server core with one role, Hyper V. But this can be overcome, at least theoreticly, with third party solutions. There is some Sound Blaster audio card emulator on VMware Workstation, but I failed, so far, to get an installer to install it on Microsoft Hyper V Server. Based on the experience of some users in here, importing the equivalent audio function from ReactOS would probably do it. I would do it myself. Someone Who imported the audio from the GUI edition of Windows Server into the Server Core would probably be able to import the audio from ReactOS to a server core Windows Server, including the new Windows Server 1709 or some old edition of Microsoft Hyper V Server.

If someone achieves this, this will help many get a freeware, legal, edition of Windows.

#144 AudioPhil

AudioPhil

AudiophileOptimizer

• AudiophileOptimizer
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

@AudioPhil: The link to enroll in the beta is not working for me anymore. Is there a new link?

thanks in advance!

Hi

What link does not work? The ISO link works fine, and if you mean the AO Beta you can just get it over here -> https://www.highend-...pc.com/download

Best,

AudioPhil

• RubenV. likes this

logo.png

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 2.10 | PDF Guide | MUTEC MC-3+ USB

#145 AudioPhil

AudioPhil

AudiophileOptimizer

• AudiophileOptimizer
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

@ AdioPhil

Microsoft Hyper V Server, indeed, does not have a native audio component. It is a stripped down edition of Windows Server, only server core with one role, Hyper V. But this can be overcome, at least theoreticly, with third party solutions. There is some Sound Blaster audio card emulator on VMware Workstation, but I failed, so far, to get an installer to install it on Microsoft Hyper V Server. Based on the experience of some users in here, importing the equivalent audio function from ReactOS would probably do it. I would do it myself. Someone Who imported the audio from the GUI edition of Windows Server into the Server Core would probably be able to import the audio from ReactOS to a server core Windows Server, including the new Windows Server 1709 or some old edition of Microsoft Hyper V Server.

If someone achieves this, this will help many get a freeware, legal, edition of Windows.

...Someone? :)

Core also has no Audio at all, and i could still make KS and later en even WASAPI work in Core. But Hyper-V is missing even more than core.... And there's another problem... The Hyper-V edition may ONLY be used as hypervisor and nothing else. So using it to play music would be "illegal"...

logo.png

#146 Lotusisrael

Lotusisrael

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

...Someone? :)

Core also has no Audio at all, and i could still make KS and later en even WASAPI work in Core. But Hyper-V is missing even more than core.... And there's another problem... The Hyper-V edition may ONLY be used as hypervisor and nothing else. So using it to play music would be "illegal"...

It depends in here. In some places, the Eula has not absolute legal value. The best example is Hackintosh - installing Mac OS X (aka OS X or macOS) on a non-Apple PC. The EU law allows users to install it legally, as long as it is licensed (Downloaded from Mac App Store, unmodified and preferably used for personal use, not corporate, and paid, if Apple grants a paid license and not a freeware). I mean, it is freeware, you can use it for personal use for what you want, as long you do not break the proprietary status of the software (no reverse engineering, copy from it into another software and redistributed it etc). Things are certainly  more restricted, since MS Hyper-V Server is proprietary software completely (Mac OS X is partly open source, partially proprietary freeware). If you want, you can also create a virtual machine on it, just to use also for the thing it was intended for, not just as a freeware Windows for music, movies, web browsing etc). And who says that having those things on a hypervisor server are not needed for using it? If I spend much of my time using it, having media features on it is ok. Desktop Experience in Windows Server always had Windows Media Player, even on Datacenter editions. So, using iTunes or VLC or JPlay on Microsoft Hyper-V Server would not be an issue, probably.

I had this idea for some time, regarding MS Hyper V Server. When I have noticed that main Windows Server will be without a GUI, I tough this will be needed to be done on that. What do you mean by lacking more then Windows Server standard in Server Core? What is missing exactly?

#147 RubenV.

RubenV.

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

Hi

What link does not work? The ISO link works fine, and if you mean the AO Beta you can just get it over here -> https://www.highend-...pc.com/download

Best,

AudioPhil

Thanks Phil!

Just tried to upgrade my control pc from WS2012 to WS2016. Installing WS2016 went well, same for AO(beta) and HQPlayer. However, after installing the newest 3.18 HQPlayer desktop I can't find the NAA on the control pc.

(I didn't made any changes to the audio pc, which did function flawlessly before)

The control pc has 2 nic's, one onboard and one Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter pci card. If I turn on the Audio PC with NAA, NAA lists the correct IP address of the nic card (intel Gigabit). But I can't select the Amanero device under backend (which displays the NAA). The onboard nic on the control pc is for connecting to the router, and the onboard nic in the audio pc is directly attached to the Intel Gigabit nic in the control.

I suspect some settings are wrong on the Control-pc end. I have installed DevManView and see that both nic's are connected and not disabled. What else could I check to counter this problem?

- Case: Streacom FC8 Evo                                           - Harddisk: Intel 520 120GB SSD
- Processor: Intel Core i5 3570T Tray                            - Powersupply: PPA dual rail LPSU + batteries
- Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX                                 - USB/SATA/AES cable: PPAstudio RED
- Memory: Crucial BLT4G3D1337DT1TX0CEU 2X 4GB      - PPAstudio CFreader + DDC
- USB card: PPAstudio pci-express usb3.0 card             

- DAC: dCS Paganini                                                   - Speakers: Linkwitz LX521 + Thor subwoofers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users