#1 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:39 AM

About 10 days ago, a friend emailed me strongly recommending me "jump off the fence and get the ifi DC Purifiers." He's using it on w4s RUR and it makes a marked improvement in SQ. He's also trying iPurifier 2 with great results. Another friend chimed in, confirming the positive experience those cute toys bring to his system.

Long story short, they (2 DC Purifiers and an iP2) arrived yesterday. The iP2 goes between my DAC and RUR, linked by a Curious RUR link. A DCP goes between the RUR and battery, another between PPA switch and PPA LPSU. The original non-ifi setup was listened to the night earlier, and I thought it was pretty decent sounding, that it would take a serious investment to improve it further.

The first 15 minutes listening to the ifi-added setup was not impressive. If anything, I could only detect a subtle increase in brightness; overall sound seemed less warm than I'd been used to. Okay, I told myself, it's time to give them some running in. But I couldn't help it so I came back for another listen at night.

Here're what I put on my notes, "clarity increases: details like performers' inhales/exhales, instrument localizations on stage, can be heard more easily indicating a blacker background and lower noise floor. Relax presentation inviting volume increase. Heightened sense of depth and width, more 3-D. Improved frequencies: smoother extended highs (strings, violins), cellos sound better too, better bass definition and power (less pronounced)."

I'm listening to the ifi-enhanced setup right now and those impressions are only becoming more obvious. Music has just become punchier, faster, more interesting yet listenable. Basically, there's nothing new in my findings which appear in line with my friends' and most happy ifi users. I could only imagine the magnitude of improvement would be higher in a setup where switching power supplies are in use.

Even though they came with 60-day money back policy, I don't think they'd go anywhere farther from my shelter.

Windows 2016 Core + AO + JPLAY + PPA dual fanless PCs + Swissbit SLC SSD + HySolid 

#2 blawre

blawre

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

About 10 days ago, a friend emailed me strongly recommending me "jump off the fence and get the ifi DC Purifiers." He's using it on w4s RUR and it makes a marked improvement in SQ. He's also trying iPurifier 2 with great results. Another friend chimed in, confirming the positive experience those cute toys bring to his system.

Long story short, they (2 DC Purifiers and an iP2) arrived yesterday. The iP2 goes between my DAC and RUR, linked by a Curious RUR link. A DCP goes between the RUR and battery, another between PPA switch and PPA LPSU. The original non-ifi setup was listened to the night earlier, and I thought it was pretty decent sounding, that it would take a serious investment to improve it further.

The first 15 minutes listening to the ifi-added setup was not impressive. If anything, I could only detect a subtle increase in brightness; overall sound seemed less warm than I'd been used to. Okay, I told myself, it's time to give them some running in. But I couldn't help it so I came back for another listen at night.

Here're what I put on my notes, "clarity increases: details like performers' inhales/exhales, instrument localizations on stage, can be heard more easily indicating a blacker background and lower noise floor. Relax presentation inviting volume increase. Heightened sense of depth and width, more 3-D. Improved frequencies: smoother extended highs (strings, violins), cellos sound better too, better bass definition and power (less pronounced)."

I'm listening to the ifi-enhanced setup right now and those impressions are only becoming more obvious. Music has just become punchier, faster, more interesting yet listenable. Basically, there's nothing new in my findings which appear in line with my friends' and most happy ifi users. I could only imagine the magnitude of improvement would be higher in a setup where switching power supplies are in use.

Even though they came with 60-day money back policy, I don't think they'd go anywhere farther from my shelter.

I have the iPurifier2.

To me its effect is similar to that which one would expect with a higher quality USB cable.

Well worth it.

#3 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback gents. I have 3 dc iPurifiers on my RUR, PPA switch and PPA v4 usb card supplies. I love this product. It lowers the noise floor and increases clarity in my applications. Makes a higher grade dc input.

The product I am now interested in is the iPurifier2. I am considering adding it to my RUR usb line as Thuan has done. Thuan, please try an A/B test with and without it. I am not sure if your improvement was from the dc iPurifiers or the iPurifier2. If you can quantify the improvement from the iPurfier2, I can decide whether to purchase or not.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.0 beta 18 / Jplay 6.2 / Fidelizer Pro / Process Lasso /

Bug Head Infinity Blade Version 7.18

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC PPA v4 usb card audio output >  Pachanko Absolution dual headed usb cable > Intona usb isolator > Pachanko RUR link > Recovery USB Reclocker > Pachanko RUR link  > SOtM dx-USB HD w/mBPS-d2S > Pachanko AES cable > Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp <bi-amping> Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system  powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources with Ice Age Audio and Pachanko power cords.

Also use  Pachanko Reference SATA cables.

#4 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:46 AM

Fran,

Finally I was able to do an A/B with and without the iP2. Actually, it was an A/B/C/A. A = with ip2 into the DAZc, B = without ip2, C = with ip2 into the RUR. Test tracks are: Holy Cole - Tennessee Waltz, Mozart violin concerto in D (hi res), Jane Monheit's Over The Rainbow, Al DiMeola Two to Tango, Daniel in Lion's Den - Capriccio (tuba solo), Duke Ellington - Tenderly, Traditional Chinese Instrumentals, Sarah Morgann - Through the eyes of love.

I like A best. Remember, the setup has already sounded pretty decent after adding two ifi DC Purifiers, so we're talking about subtle and small percentage of improvement here. Also, the ip2 needs warm up before it can fully perform. By then, everything just sounded like the singers had just done some push ups, there's more air on stage, music flowing more freely, vocals richer, highs smoother more extended, hitting on piano ivory keys less hard in the ears.

I tried C shortly then quickly turned back to A. The ip2 seems most beneficial plugged into DAC. B wasn't too bad, but it didn't have the last iota of "there" that a warmed up ip2 can provide. Best to try for yourself.
  • franran likes this

Windows 2016 Core + AO + JPLAY + PPA dual fanless PCs + Swissbit SLC SSD + HySolid 

#5 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

Great job Thuan! The verdict is pretty clear.
1) The iPurifier 2 leads to improved sound quality, even with the RUR
2) The iPurifier 2 should be placed after the RUR, directly at the DAC (or DDC) input.

I had used the iPurifier 1 previously, but took it out after I got the Regen, then RUR. Obviously the 2 is an improvement. Probably like the RUR was an improvement over the Regen.

My usb line will look like this:
PPA V4 usb card(LPSU w/dc iPurifier) > Intona > RUR(LPSU w/dc iPurifier) > iPurifier 2 > SOtM DDC > W4S DAC2 DSDse
When playing DSD I remove the DDC and input the DAC directly.

I'll probably order the iPurifier 2 and give it a try

• thuanb likes this

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.0 beta 18 / Jplay 6.2 / Fidelizer Pro / Process Lasso /

Bug Head Infinity Blade Version 7.18

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC PPA v4 usb card audio output >  Pachanko Absolution dual headed usb cable > Intona usb isolator > Pachanko RUR link > Recovery USB Reclocker > Pachanko RUR link  > SOtM dx-USB HD w/mBPS-d2S > Pachanko AES cable > Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp <bi-amping> Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system  powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources with Ice Age Audio and Pachanko power cords.

Also use  Pachanko Reference SATA cables.

#6 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:42 PM

With the Intona I think your setup is awesome!

#7 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

Ifi DC Ipurifier into my JCAT Femto is cutting the highs and transparency!

Ifi DC into my RR-777, powered from Lithium battery and with 0.5m Revelation Audio DC cable and the results were completely the opposite! Better details, dynamics, crispiness.....much better!

Quite not how I expected!       

Maybe like Thuanb first experience....maybe needs burn-in period. I will try latter again into the USB Card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users