• Please log in to reply
444 replies to this topic

#81 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

Sorry l am struggling to understand your question?
I use SSD for OS, and a WD RED for WAV, the usb card is currently power on iFi psu,the ssd via breeze psu. At present the wd red is still running off pc psu, but l plan to mod that in a few weeks time.
Sorry in advance, if I have miss understood your question

I think what CAT wanted to ask is whether anyone connected USB flash to the JCAT USB Card's port and tried loading music tracks from it. And if it led to audible improvements. 

It will sounds better than connecting the stick to a USB port in motherboard. Will it sound better than SSD? It depends what USB stick and what SSD are we comparing, what PSUs are used and what SATA cable connects SSD with the motherboard :) 

Marcin, at the moment I'm using power from JCAT Femto to power JCAT Isolator and Sonicweld HR (I believe 360mA).

Would that be power overkill to insert the USB flash drive into the remaining USB port of the Card?

Does the consumption power vary from different flash drives?

Go ahead and try it :) 

Best regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

Want to squeeze more from your PC-audio? Hear the difference with JCAT

#82 Stellabagpuss

Stellabagpuss

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

Interesting, are you suggesting that I could run my HD with wav files independently and just run it on one of the usb ports and hear an improvement over direct to mb using sata?

#83 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

If your HDD can be connected via USB then it'd be the option that's worth checking. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

#84 Stellabagpuss

Stellabagpuss

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

The only issue is a suitable adapter, I don't know if any exist on the market, I would need a SATA 3 to USB 3,adapter or lead.
I know you can purchase cheapo adapters,but they look like they have very cheap wiring in between.
Any suggestions for this test

#85 Stellabagpuss

Stellabagpuss

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

Aha just found this on ebay item no 112186246408
This looks a possibility, your thoughts?

#86 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

It should work. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#87 Stellabagpuss

Stellabagpuss

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

There may be a delay, but l will report back on my findings,just have to wait for the adapters to arrive via China

#88 lorde73

lorde73

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

Hello there !
I am using an ASUS H110T Motherboard on my audio PC. This MB is known having compatibility issues with NEC USB3 chipsets with 0.96 version.For instance, the NEC chip (uPD720200A) is 0.96 and leads to block the entire PC... On the other hand, all the chipsets with revision xHCI specifications 1.0 works fine ...
My question is this : Is your card's chipset xHCI 1.0 compliant (USB 3.0 Specifications Revision 1.0 ) ???
This information is essential for me, to know if i can buy the card or not ...
Thank you in advance for your answer !!!

#89 Stellabagpuss

Stellabagpuss

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

OK,had the Breeze Audio LPS psu arrive, and unlike the success l had running my sdd from the Breeze Audio psu,the femto sounds better via the IFi unit.Not that the breeze is bad,it's just the iFi just seems to presents and gels the overall sound slightly clearer. I realise l am now going back on my findings on the iFi, but certainly, in my view the iFi works better than the Breeze for the Femto.
Next test will be battery powered
  • Marcin_gps likes this

#90 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

Hi Guys,

If anyone is interested, here you can see pictures from the JCAT event at Oliospec showroom in Tokyo, Japan, where JCAT USB Card FEMTO and JCAT USB Isolator were presented:

https://www.facebook...400515653328709

Cheers, 

Marcin

• ellisdj likes this

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#91 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Hello there !
I am using an ASUS H110T Motherboard on my audio PC. This MB is known having compatibility issues with NEC USB3 chipsets with 0.96 version.For instance, the NEC chip (uPD720200A) is 0.96 and leads to block the entire PC... On the other hand, all the chipsets with revision xHCI specifications 1.0 works fine ...
My question is this : Is your card's chipset xHCI 1.0 compliant (USB 3.0 Specifications Revision 1.0 ) ???
This information is essential for me, to know if i can buy the card or not ...
Thank you in advance for your answer !!!

Hello, 

The JCAT uses the uPD720201, not uPD720200A. As far as I know it is fully compliant – see below. It is basically an industry standard, all built-in drivers support it. 

Attached File  image001.png   125.94KB   2 downloads

Best regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#92 Stellabagpuss

Stellabagpuss

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

Good news in regards to running your music Hard Drive into one of the usb 3 ports on the femto,
I purchases a esata to sata 3 lead, and a esata to usb3 adapter on ebay. So the hard drive is no longer running into my Asus MB

I am pleased to report an improvement in sound quality,less smugging between instruments, and a slightly brighter, clearer sound.
Certainly worth checking out
Damien
  • Marcin_gps likes this

#93 Stellabagpuss

Stellabagpuss

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:00 PM

One final question for marcin, on mine eSATA to USB3 adaptor is a small PCB, on the PCB is a 30Mhz crystal cpu chip,and other small SMT components, I am presuming that you can't just connect the eSATA to USB3 without some type of conversion?

Although I can hear an improvement, can the components on the adaptor eg 30Mh crystal  be improved, have I just inserted a possibly weak point into the data path.

One thing I should add the eSATA to USB3 adaptor sounds far superior compaired to running the same WD Red HDD drive via a USB3 Hub, which leads me to believe the components on this small board must make a difference.

I hope I am making sense, and look forward to your views.

Damien

Link for adapter below

https://www.ebay.co....4&crdt=0&chn=ps

#94 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

Yes, of course that adapter is not perfect and could be improved. Moreover, attaching and using 2nd USB device, apart from a USB DAC, to the card is not optimal too - the controller has more work to do, power requirements and noise go up. So one has to check and verify what works better in his system. 

Cheers, 
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#95 Stellabagpuss

Stellabagpuss

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:13 PM

I see,thanks for the information. Frankly I am amazed that a audiophile bridge hasn't been put on the market, being that amount of audiophiles HDD or SSD.
Damien
  • Marcin_gps likes this

#96 lorde73

lorde73

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:44 PM

If you do not connect any PSU to the USB Card then it will use PCIe lane as power source. However, if any 5V external/internal PSU is connected to the card either via LP4 or via DC jack, the card will be powered from that PSU exclusively.

There are automatic switches. It is described in this blog post: http://jplay.eu/ml_p...usb-card-femto/

Cheers, 
Marcin

Hello Marcin,

I couldn't find any explanation of the power supply selection on that link .

How does it work this automatic switch, could you explain in few words please  ???

#97 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

If power supply is not connected or does not provide enough current, the card will switch to PCIe as power source automatically, but only for the chipset - it means it will work only for self-powered USB devices, because there won't be a 5V present at the USB ports. 

I hope that's clear

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#98 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

Mojo Audio Deja Vu Music Server featuring our JCAT USB Card FEMTO awarded "Best in Show" (cost no object) at AXPONA'17 by The Absolute Sound & "Best Innersound at the Show" at AXPONA'17 by Part-Time Audiophile

Full reports: http://bit.ly/2pMvzjj& http://bit.ly/2pcu2Bb

18222019_1428002133913394_26464067313458

• Adrian and ellisdj like this

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#99 ellisdj

ellisdj

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

I have just installed the jcat femto into my single audio pc.

Only had it on 10 minutes. What is the expected run in period and what should I expect to hear in this time?? Thanks

#100 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:51 AM

About one week to get full performance. 

• ellisdj likes this

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users