• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#61 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

I think one shall try how Windows Server 2012 "sounds" with and without the driver for the USB card. I have a year exeprience with using the USB card (not the FEMTO - but the previous model) with Windows Server 2012 R2. The sound was better (more open, spacious, detailed, smooth) WITH the driver. The difference is not big, but it is. In a transparent system - it matters.

Of course. I used to listen with the driver too (you will find my comments in the JCAT USB Card thread here on the forum). Now I prefer the sound with native MS driver, so yes - it's system dependent. 

• jgwtriode likes this

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

Want to squeeze more from your PC-audio? Hear the difference with JCAT

#62 RubenV.

RubenV.

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

Just received the card and installed it in my audio pc and hooked it up to a linear psu. While the dac/preamplifier/amps are still cold it is already a big step up from the PPA V1 I used previously (also powered with a lpsu). Love it B)  And I expect it will only get better with some hours on it. Installation is also a breeze without the option to use the native MS driver.

- Case: Streacom FC8 Evo                                           - Harddisk: Intel 520 120GB SSD
- Processor: Intel Core i5 3570T Tray                            - Powersupply: PPA dual rail LPSU + batteries
- Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX                                 - USB/SATA/AES cable: PPAstudio RED
- Memory: Crucial BLT4G3D1337DT1TX0CEU 2X 4GB      - PPAstudio CFreader + DDC
- USB card: PPAstudio pci-express usb3.0 card             

- DAC: dCS Paganini                                                   - Speakers: Linkwitz LX521 + Thor subwoofers

#63 timd

timd

Beginner

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

Had new femto card in for a couple of weeks now and it's come on song. Initially to be honest when first installed I was not that impressed as the bass seemed to be lighter and the mid range pushed forward.

Now however the the sound is far more of a whole, the bass is back in force and the overall sound compared to the version 1.1 is slightly more rounded fuller and tiny little bits of detail that were there oriuginally are slightly better defined and instrumental decay is better heard.

Worth the upgrade over the original. Subtle but definative improvement, just don't expect it to give it's best on day one. Definitely requires a good 50 hrs plus to settle down. Be patient!
  • Marcin_gps likes this

#64 xsonic1

xsonic1

Beginner

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

Hey everyone,

Just reported on the JCAT Isolator/ISO cable in a post under the USB Isolator topic. Adding my feedback on the FEMTO card in this post.

I just purchased a USB FEMTO card which replaces a JCAT v1.1 USB card in my dedicated audio PC. The FEMTO card, along with a JCAT Isolator/ISO cable have been in my system for about a week and a half and seem to be well burned in.

The FEMTO card was an easy replacement. It fired right up when I turned on my PC and I didn't change any JPLAY settings at all.

I am very happy with the results. Immediately I could hear areas that the FEMTO card improved over the non-FEMTO JCAT card but wanted to wait for the new components to settle in before reporting. I'll also say the I have listened with the Isolator/ISO cable in and out of my system so I can "isolate" the benefits of each. See the post in the JCAT Isolator topic for my perceptions of the JCAT Isolator w/ISO cable.

The FEMTO card is a very nice step up in sound quality over the non-FEMTO card. The music flows much better; a combination of having a smoother and more refined inner details across the frequency range with better bass extension with better articulation. I really like the changes the FEMTO card makes to the sound of my system! Highly recommended!

The JCAT Isolator/ISO cable augments the changes of the FEMTO card plus adds to it. I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

Marcin great job pulling together some great quality products! Looking forward to seeing what's the next new products :)

Thanks Robb

I am using a single PC driven by a 100W linear power supply. Marcin has been working on me to go to a 2-PC set up! Always another step to improve the window into the music -- The reason I enjoy this so much!

Fanless dedicated Audio PC w/ FEMTO card ==> JCAT Reference cable ==> JCAT Isolatpr ==> ISO cable ==> Auralic VEGA

Main system: Ayre K-5xeMP ==> Parasound JC 1 Monoblocks ==> Magneplaner MG-20.1 & REL 5S Sub-woofers

• Marcin_gps likes this

#65 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

JPLAY, JCAT USB Card FEMTO & JCAT USB Isolator featured as Recommended Products in the latest issue of Net Audio - Japan's largest magazine dedicated to computer audio :)

www.files.jplay.eu/NetAudioVol25excerpt.pdf

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

#66 takacid

takacid

Beginner

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:03 PM

Hi, Most probably one of the best sounding USB cards up to date, incorporating the latest Femto clock. So, I decided to try it out.

The outcome? Amazing depth, added dimension, Holographic sound! 
Thanks, Jplay team!

#67 bogkor35

bogkor35

Beginner

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

Some times ago I've purchased a USB FEMTO which replaced PPA V2 USB card in my Single PC dedicated for audio.

I expected slight changes but just after replacing noticed a big difference in SQ. After 1-2 weeks my card has been fully burned in and I observed further

improvement in SQ (mainly smoothness and culture).

Overall all aspects of sound have been improved. The most noticable and important for me were (1) soundstage (depth and more 3D),
(2) more details and better separation (3) bass extension and more colours.

• Marcin_gps likes this

#68 mb

mb

Beginner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

I have just installed my USB FEMTO card which has replaced the JCAT v1.1 USB card. The difference is HUGE, not subtle at all!

Everything is better, dynamics, blackness, timbre of the instruments and the music is more relaxed.

This was the single biggest upgrade in my PC audio path. Congrats Marcin!

• Marcin_gps likes this

#69 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

Thanks - enjoy :)

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#70 One and a Half

One and a Half

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

I'm collecting data to use the JCAT USB Femto card with the ifi Galvanic 3.0. This device requires 5V at 900mA, can the JCAT UsB Femto card supply this power to the ifi?

Thanks.

#71 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:18 AM

I'm collecting data to use the JCAT USB Femto card with the ifi Galvanic 3.0. This device requires 5V at 900mA, can the JCAT UsB Femto card supply this power to the ifi?

Thanks.

Hello and welcome!

Yes, it will work. You just need to connect a PSU that is rated 1.5A or higher. 

Best regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#72 One and a Half

One and a Half

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hello and welcome!

Yes, it will work. You just need to connect a PSU that is rated 1.5A or higher. 

Best regards,

Marcin

Thank you for that info :)

• Marcin_gps likes this

#73 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

Of course. I used to listen with the driver too (you will find my comments in the JCAT USB Card thread here on the forum). Now I prefer the sound with native MS driver, so yes - it's system dependent. 

Does anyone else compared the difference between the drivers, beside Marcin and Stachu7012?

Or, what driver do YOU use?

#74 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

I use the default MS driver at the moment

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#75 Cat

Cat

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

Hi!

Does someone have experience using this USB card with 2 USB key to store all my music? Would that better than a good SSD drive?

Kind regards,

CAT

#76 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

It depends what USB stick are you going to connect. 

I think Stachu7012 use it in combination with CF card. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#77 Stellabagpuss

Stellabagpuss

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

Had my usb card turn up last. So far,it's a instant upgrade, and although it's still running in, the benefits are audible from the off. Lower noise floor, small details in mixes are clearer, it reminds me, when l fitted a Trichord Clock 4 and NCS to my CDP,of course this is a country mile ahead.
At the moment l am powering the card using a iFi 5v psu, although I recently tested the iFi against a Breeze Audio for a direct psu for my SSD drive,the iFi may have very good technology, but the Breeze simply ate it for breakfast, sound stage, clarity,deeper bass,and more dynamic.and that's just supplying SSD
I am waiting for another breeze PSU to arrive, so l can power the USB card,will report back, but at the moment it's a big YES from me
  • Marcin_gps and Stellabagpuss like this

#78 Cat

Cat

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Had my usb card turn up last. So far,it's a instant upgrade, and although it's still running in, the benefits are audible from the off. Lower noise floor, small details in mixes are clearer, it reminds me, when l fitted a Trichord Clock 4 and NCS to my CDP,of course this is a country mile ahead.
At the moment l am powering the card using a iFi 5v psu, although I recently tested the iFi against a Breeze Audio for a direct psu for my SSD drive,the iFi may have very good technology, but the Breeze simply ate it for breakfast, sound stage, clarity,deeper bass,and more dynamic.and that's just supplying SSD
I am waiting for another breeze PSU to arrive, so l can power the USB card,will report back, but at the moment it's a big YES from me

Hi,

Did you tried to one of the 2 USB port to put an USB key containing WAV music, and compared with an hard drive (SSD or not)?

#79 Stellabagpuss

Stellabagpuss

Beginner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

Sorry l am struggling to understand your question?
I use SSD for OS, and a WD RED for WAV, the usb card is currently power on iFi psu,the ssd via breeze psu. At present the wd red is still running off pc psu, but l plan to mod that in a few weeks time.
Sorry in advance, if I have miss understood your question

#80 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

Marcin, at the moment I'm using power from JCAT Femto to power JCAT Isolator and Sonicweld HR (I believe 360mA).

Would that be power overkill to insert the USB flash drive into the remaining USB port of the Card?

Does the consumption power vary from different flash drives?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users