Hello again guys,
It seems my joy ended after 4 weeks. A few days ago the card started to malfunction. I managed to solve it by restarting the external power supply and uninstalling/installing drivers but only for a few days because again the problems appeared. While listening to music my foobar stopped and crashed. Then I got the "device driver unitialized error". I saw that my Chord Qutest is not present/detected by Windows. I said OK, it might be a softwareproblem and start to investigate in Device Manager.
I said ok, I reinstalled the driver and everything seemed fine for a while, but still, the DAC was not seen by Windows:
When I tried several times to restart the PC, maybe uninstall drivers and reinstall them, then moved the card back to the PCIex 2.0 x16 where it worked fine for one year, nothing worked. And now I have:
So I plugged my USB cable directly into the motherboard and all works fine. Of course, sound quality is not the same, I might say much worse, but the Chord DAC is present and all work perfectly.
So my question: is there any way to investigate further? To summarize:
1) JCAT Femto USB does not work in either PCIex 3.0 x16 or PCIex 2.0 x1 (where it worked for 1 year) -> so the fact I moved it to a PCIex 3.0 x16 slot 4 weeks ago does not seem to be the problem.
2) The Chord DAC is not seen via the USB port of the JCAT Femto USB (I have the 2.0 firmware for 1 port, flashed one year ago when I bought it) but works perfectly with the same cable using directly a USB 3.0 port of the motherboard.
3) When the problem appears it seems we have in Device Manager 3 entries (2 for Renesas Host and Root Hub) and one for a malfunctioning USB device with errors like "firmware of the device did not give it the required resources (code 29)".
4) Tried an USB stick on the port and nothing is seen.
5) Switched to MOLEX and used the PSU of the PC for power, the same.
6) If you let the card with the power supply OFF over night, in the morning works for 10-15min but then stops in the middle of the track. The progress bar of Foobar remains stuck, as well as the player.
The error 29 points to a device disabled/powered off?
I measured the voltage of the Sbooster which is its power supply and it provides 5.09V. So it is powered also with the Sbooster.
For info, the PC specs are: 4790K / Asus Z97-Deluxe. On the other PCIex 3.0 x16 slot I have an EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 which I use for gaming and sometimes both in parallel. Any help is appreciated, if someone knows how to troubleshoot this problem.