376 replies to this topic

#341 OctavianH

OctavianH

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBrasov / RO

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:02 AM

I had an LPS in mind, the Sbooster 5V but my order was cancelled. It seems I have to search for another one. For me the USB Isolator sounded redundant, since the USB Femto card was already regenerating and filtering the USB signal. Am I wrong?

From my understanding: USB Isolator might be needed if you use the internal power supply. If you use an external one (an LPS) it should  be normally not needed.

Qutest | CXC | Elise MK.II | A2 | T1.2 | A5X | NFB11.32

Headphone setup

#342 cranfan95

cranfan95

Beginner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:52 PM

I had an LPS in mind, the Sbooster 5V but my order was cancelled. It seems I have to search for another one. For me the USB Isolator sounded redundant, since the USB Femto card was already regenerating and filtering the USB signal. Am I wrong?

From my understanding: USB Isolator might be needed if you use the internal power supply. If you use an external one (an LPS) it should  be normally not needed.

This is what I thought too but after asking Marcin and some other users apparently people do use it in conjunction with the USB card with beneficial results. My thought process was that I would order both and then try with the isolator in and out of the chain and determine if it was worth keeping. :)

For power supplies I am looking at the Uptone LPS1.2 and the Mojo Illuminati but both are pretty pricey. 

#343 OctavianH

OctavianH

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBrasov / RO

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:09 PM

I would have ordered it if it made sense. But I am not sure if I really need the USB Isolator in chain with the USB Femto. I have 2 good quality cables like QED Reference USB A-B and Chord Signature Tuned Array. If I add the USB Isolator, I am not sure if it makes sense to add it after USB Femto, and in this case I would need 2 good quality cables instead of one. Honestly, I prefer a simple solution like USB Femto and a good cable to Chord Qutest. I have also an ISO Regen which I am currently using and I can add before the DAC but I hope it will not be necessary. I can also try the iFi nano iGalvanic3.0 but the same "cable problem" appears. For me USB Isolator is a product for laptops while USB Femto provides the same service in a desktop environment. Or at least I hope so. Any advice is welcomed.

PS. I found another local dealer for Sbooster so on Monday I will receive it.

Headphone setup

#344 cranfan95

cranfan95

Beginner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:11 PM

I would have ordered it if it made sense. But I am not sure if I really need the USB Isolator in chain with the USB Femto. I have 2 good quality cables like QED Reference USB A-B and Chord Signature Tuned Array. If I add the USB Isolator, I am not sure if it makes sense to add it after USB Femto, and in this case I would need 2 good quality cables instead of one. Honestly, I prefer a simple solution like USB Femto and a good cable to Chord Qutest. I have also an ISO Regen which I am currently using and I can add before the DAC but I hope it will not be necessary. I can also try the iFi nano iGalvanic3.0 but the same "cable problem" appears. Any advice is welcomed.

I will report back on the differences with and without the isolator but you are right, its definitely not necessary, I just hope to get another noticeable improvement on top of the Femto card. 

#345 OctavianH

OctavianH

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBrasov / RO

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:50 PM

Please do so, I will come back also with impressions related to ISO Regen and JCAT. If the USB Isolator will provide sensible improvements I will add it to my chain.

PS. I hope I'll receive the card since I had no confirmation for the order placed on Tuesday.

Headphone setup

#346 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

Here's my "secret recipe" for powering the JCAT FEMTO Net or USB cards.  Having had an iFi Micro iUSB3.0 and Nano iUSB3.0 at my disposal, and knowing their 5v outputs are of pleasantly low noise (0.1 micro V and 0.5 micro V), I've tried using them to power those two cards and results are spectacular.  Subjectively anyway.  Upgrading them to better DC power cables (Ghent Audio), vibration control, and feeding power (from iFI IPower to HDPLEX 9V) only make them perform better.  I'm such a happy SOB now.

• FelipeRolim likes this
WS2019 Datacentercor 10.0.17763.557, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, JPLAY Femto - KS/US/1000Hz/Hibernate, Fidata/BubbleUPnP.

#347 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationQuatiguá/Paraná/Brazil

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:14 PM

I've been seeing these Ghent cables and found some interesting things. I saw that there are models made with Canare 4S6 cable and others made with a cable called Gotham JSSG360. Do you know if this Gotham is better? The price, at least, is higher. I'm developing independent power supplies for my computers and plan to feed JCAT in isolation (two for the motherboard, two with 12v for the processors, one with 5v for the SSD, three with 5v for the JCAT cards). Is it more advisable to use the 5v through external power, or to adapt an internal MOLEX connector for this function? I have the flexibility to adopt both solutions. Does the JCAT internal power supply require only the 5v (red cable) or does it also need the internal 12v (yellow cable)? Is the connector standard 2.1mm or 2.5mm?

I'm still far from reaching a definition of the project. For now, only the transformer has been purchased. I'm considering using LT3042 or LT3045 regulators for the SSD and JCAT cards in dual configuration (500mA x 2 = 1A). Does anyone have a suggestion of a better voltage regulator? I think the cards would work at 500mA, but I'll not risk it.

- Speakers KEF Reference 203/2 with spikes;

- Integrated amplifier Sunrise V8 MK IV;

- DAC Ayre QB-9 192/24 + Furutech FI-03 ( R);

- Source: the Control-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock Q1900-ITX motherboard, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1333MHz and 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD; the Audio-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0, a Intel Core i7-4750T, an Arctic Alpine 11 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1600MHz and a JCAT USB Card FEMTO. Both computers use Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Core Mode with RAMdisk as Operational System, JPLAY FEMTO Alternative version and Audiophile Optimizer v. 3.00 (1A in Control-PC and 4D in Audio-PC). Both also use hand made linear power supplies with a Furutech FI-06 ( R).

- Cables: Nordost Tyr (speaker), Nordost Valhalla XLR (interconnect), Curious Cable (USB), Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (computers), Transparent PowerLink MM² (integrated amp.), Purist Audio Design Canorus Praesto Revision Power Cable (power distributor), Purist Audio Design Limited Edition Praesto Revision Power Cable (DAC), Kimber Kable 12TC + gold plated connectors (24 way internal power supply cable of the mother board), Jupiter Pure Silver Cotton Insulated (all remaining internal wires from the computers) and Audiopheeling SATA Encounter.

- Acessories: Furutech GTX-D (G); Furutech GTX-D ( R) (x2); Sunrise Deep Line (x4); spikes Viablue HS; ebony spikes, carbon fiber bases; Nordost Qv2 (x3); acoustical and electrical reinforcements.

#348 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:32 PM

Shame on me but also luckily I didn't notice Ghent's more expensive cables, until now that you've mentioned it. So I've been using his Canare DC cables with no complaints. I think his standard cables meet my needs well. I can't justify, let alone afford, multiple lengthy DC cables, each costing more than $30-$40. I'd rather spend $$ allowance on something else that also needs attention: vibration, EMI, AC power cleaning, fuses, and yes another JCAT netcard.

That said, and to answer your questions, JCAT connectors are 2.1mm. The more expensive Ghent DC cables should sound even better, I suppose. JCAT cards love enough juice. The Uptone LPS 1.2, excellent otherwise, is less favorable than HDPLEX powering JCAT cards due to its more limited max current, according to a review on AS. If you're able to and capable of building your LPSUs, you're in heaven.
  • FelipeRolim likes this
WS2019 Datacentercor 10.0.17763.557, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, JPLAY Femto - KS/US/1000Hz/Hibernate, Fidata/BubbleUPnP.

#349 OctavianH

OctavianH

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBrasov / RO

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:21 AM

In my case a Sbooster which can provide 5V and also 6V is a better solution because I can power also my ISO Regen (requires 6-8V) and make comparison tests. The low noise of Sbooster combined with Sbooster Ultra should be fine for the JCAT.

Headphone setup

#350 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

I've been seeing these Ghent cables and found some interesting things. I saw that there are models made with Canare 4S6 cable and others made with a cable called Gotham JSSG360. Do you know if this Gotham is better? The price, at least, is higher. I'm developing independent power supplies for my computers and plan to feed JCAT in isolation (two for the motherboard, two with 12v for the processors, one with 5v for the SSD, three with 5v for the JCAT cards). Is it more advisable to use the 5v through external power, or to adapt an internal MOLEX connector for this function? I have the flexibility to adopt both solutions. Does the JCAT internal power supply require only the 5v (red cable) or does it also need the internal 12v (yellow cable)? Is the connector standard 2.1mm or 2.5mm?

I'm still far from reaching a definition of the project. For now, only the transformer has been purchased. I'm considering using LT3042 or LT3045 regulators for the SSD and JCAT cards in dual configuration (500mA x 2 = 1A). Does anyone have a suggestion of a better voltage regulator? I think the cards would work at 500mA, but I'll not risk it.

Felipe, only 5V (red & black) is used in LP4 molex. 

• FelipeRolim likes this

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

Want to squeeze more from your PC-audio? Hear the difference with JCAT

#351 OctavianH

OctavianH

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBrasov / RO

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:48 PM

Is there any way to check firmware version of the JCAT Femto? I upgraded it but I want to double check and I cannot find it in the Device Manager. Any other way to do it?

Headphone setup

#352 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:56 PM

Is there any way to check firmware version of the JCAT Femto? I upgraded it but I want to double check and I cannot find it in the Device Manager. Any other way to do it?

After the update you can type in CMD from within 2PORTS folder (or 1PORT folder if you loaded this) : w201fw21.exe /srom 0 /verify K2026090.mem cfg201v3.ini

If there is no error, it means the firmware is on the card. If there is  a mismatch error, it means the firmware is not udpated.

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

#353 OctavianH

OctavianH

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBrasov / RO

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:20 PM

It seems there was no error. Thanks!

Another question: I left the jumpers in the default position and powered the card via Sbooster + Sbooster Ultra (additional filter). Should I remove the Ultra filter if the filters on the card are connected? Or should I leave it like this? Does it make sense to remove all the jumpers of the JCAT Femto since I already use an LPS?

The card works, and I expect I have to leave it for a few hours before any assessment, but I wanted to be sure everything is configured properly.

Headphone setup

#354 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

It seems there was no error. Thanks!

Another question: I left the jumpers in the default position and powered the card via Sbooster + Sbooster Ultra (additional filter). Should I remove the Ultra filter if the filters on the card are connected? Or should I leave it like this? Does it make sense to remove all the jumpers of the JCAT Femto since I already use an LPS?

The card works, and I expect I have to leave it for a few hours before any assessment, but I wanted to be sure everything is configured properly.

I'd leave it like this. If the DAC does not require 5V via USB port  then  you may remove all jumpers from the card. 

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#355 OctavianH

OctavianH

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBrasov / RO

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:38 PM

I will report back on the differences with and without the isolator but you are right, its definitely not necessary, I just hope to get another noticeable improvement on top of the Femto card. 

So, did you had time to try JCAT with and without the Isolator? Any feedback?

Headphone setup

#356 cranfan95

cranfan95

Beginner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

So, did you had time to try JCAT with and without the Isolator? Any feedback?

Hi, unfortunately had a problem with my order that Marcin is currently assisting me with so have not been able to listen yet. I will definitely report back once I have

• OctavianH likes this

#357 yhajtko

yhajtko

Beginner

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:57 PM

Reluctantly selling my femto USB and femto net cards along with a linear PSU. Plixir elite bdc 5v/4a. Also, selling my jcat USB isolator. Leaving PC audio as I have a streamer and need these gone. Please pm me.

#358 Adrian

Adrian

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

Reluctantly selling my femto USB and femto net cards along with a linear PSU. Plixir elite bdc 5v/4a. Also, selling my jcat USB isolator. Leaving PC audio as I have a streamer and need these gone. Please pm me.

Hello, I think you can get a wider public if you post here:

http://jplay.eu/foru...forum/12-trade/
  • yhajtko likes this

#359 yhajtko

yhajtko

Beginner

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:37 PM

Hello, I think you can get a wider public if you post here:

http://jplay.eu/foru...forum/12-trade/

Thanks couldn't find the buy sell thread. Appreciate it.
  • Marcin_gps likes this

#360 Racerxnet55

Racerxnet55

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

Thanks couldn't find the buy sell thread. Appreciate it.

I sent you a PM regarding the femto usb card.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users