361 replies to this topic

#321 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

Hi Marcin,

May I know how do I check if my PC (USB card femto) has correctly installed the version 2.0 firmware ?

Hello, 

If the firmware update process ended successfully and you've followed the read me file then the firmware is loaded :)

Hello,

New there, I will be an happy (hopefully) owner of a Femto USB card in the next days. I have a Linux PC though, and the instructions about the new firmware are only for Windows...As this new firmware seems to bring some improvements, do you know if there's a way to make this update without a windows PC ?

FYI, if there's of any interest, I have a DIY Streacom FC8 chassis with a quadcore AMD Ryzen, Audio-linux OS used with roon only, 2 external LPSU, 1 for MB, 1 for the PCIe card (12V+internal Mojo Audio regulator to get 5v) -> Jcat USB isolator -> curious USB cable -> PSaudio Directsrtream Jr.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The firmware update tool is available for Windows only. Once the update procedure is finished, the card can be installed in a linux machine. 

Regards, 
Marcin

#322 Redscouser

Redscouser

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:55 PM

Marcin,

Could you please forward the original Femto USB card firmware as i am having problems playing any sample rate file form Jriver to my Playback Design USB3 Fibre interface box.

Best Regards, Mark
mark.lorenson@hotmail.com

Continuum Labs Criterion TT – Cobra Arm – AirTight Supreme – Ortofon A90
DartZeel Pre – Power - FM Acoustics FM-122
Playback Designs MPS-5 USB-X-3 interface
Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne
Torus Infrasonic Generator x 2

#323 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

Marcin,

Could you please forward the original Femto USB card firmware as i am having problems playing any sample rate file form Jriver to my Playback Design USB3 Fibre interface box.

Best Regards, Mark
mark.lorenson@hotmail.com

Hi Mark, 

This should not be related to the new firmware.  

Have yout tried a USB memory stick with on  one  of the card's USB ports to verify if the card works properly? 

Regards, 
Marcin

#324 Redscouser

Redscouser

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:17 PM

Marcin,

That is what i thought, my Dac did register connection to my computer by the front display...

Anyway i was going to see if i could sort things out and it seems now my system SSD has given up the ghost....

will keep you inform when i get things up and running....

• Marcin_gps likes this
Continuum Labs Criterion TT – Cobra Arm – AirTight Supreme – Ortofon A90
DartZeel Pre – Power - FM Acoustics FM-122
Playback Designs MPS-5 USB-X-3 interface
Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne
Torus Infrasonic Generator x 2

#325 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationQuatiguá/Paraná/Brazil

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

Friends, I'm thinking about something I think might be of interest to more people. We have known for a long time that linear power supplies have fundamental importance in the quality of digital audio. Power supplies of excellent quality lead to unimaginable results, and we currently have a number of famous linear power supplies on the market, such as Paul Hynes, HDPlex, Mojo, and others.

Among their many peculiarities, we know that something that is common to them and that is sought from any power supply is the low noise level, the low ripple level, the high transparency to the exchange of cables, the excellence of the connections, the high energy efficiency, among other things. More than that, we know that components have specific sonorities, among them, regulators, capacitors and resistors. The big question is: considering that JCAT USB Card FEMTO (which also applies to JCAT Net Card FEMTO) has its own internal linear regulator (the LT3080), with its own circuit, which is expected from an external power supply? Obviously, in addition to power isolation, of a fully independent external cable, the power supply will also have its own sonority, but is it expected that the JCAT will work best with an external power supply and a bypass on the internal regulator?

In other words, should I expect there to be a linear power supply with extraordinary enough level to allow me to bypass the internal regulator, or the best way to use these boards is through the regulator? And, using the board with the voltage regulator, is it possible to adopt a simpler external linear power supply, or is the double regulation effect cumulative? I confess that I haven't experimented with my USB card.

Please excuse me if I'm messing around, but some of the internal jumpers (J4 and J8) are for this bypass, right? I'm asking this to understand the need for an ultra-complex and high level linear power supply, or whether a simplistic linear power supply, added to the internal regulator (LT3080), would be enough. None of the DACs I want to buy need the 5v to work, but does this regulator also reflect on the signal path?

- Speakers KEF Reference 203/2 with spikes;

- Integrated amplifier Sunrise V8 MK IV;

- DAC Ayre QB-9 192/24 + Furutech FI-03 ( R);

- Source: the Control-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock Q1900-ITX motherboard, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1333MHz, 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD and SOtM SATA II Filter; the Audio-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0, an Intel Core i7-4750T, an Arctic Alpine 11 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1600MHz and JCAT USB Card FEMTO. Both computers use Windows Server 2019 Core Mode with RAMdisk as Operational System, JPLAY FEMTO Alternative version and Audiophile Optimizer v. 3.00 (1A in Control-PC and 4D in Audio-PC). Both also use a hand made linear power supply with a Furutech FI-06 ( R).

- Cables: Nordost Tyr (speaker), Nordost Valhalla XLR (interconnect), Curious Cable (USB), Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (power distributor), Transparent PowerLink MM² (integrated amp.), Purist Audio Design Canorus Praesto Revision Power Cable (DAC), Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (computer), Kimber Kable 12TC + gold plated connectors (24 way internal power supply cable of the mother board);

- Acessories: Furutech GTX-D (G); Furutech GTX-D ( R) (x2); Sunrise Deep Line (x4); spikes Viablue HS; ebony spikes, carbon fiber bases; Nordost Qv2 (x3); acoustical and electrical reinforcements.

#326 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:09 PM

Felipe, the internal regulator can by bypassed only for 5V output via USB ports. LDOs for the USB chipset & the clock are always active. Feeding the card with a high-quality external LPS is always beneficial and it doesn't matter if USB DAC requires 5V via USB ports or not. It's a myth that if a USB DAC doesn't require 5V via USB ports, it is less sensitive to USB signal quality. 

I wrote about it in this article: https://jcat.eu/use-usb-audio-card/

Regards, 

Marcin

• Thuan and FelipeRolim like this

#327 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:18 PM

Great! So even if I remove the jumper from the 5v, will the board's internal circuitry continue to pass through the LT3080? I have this doubt because, having the LT3080 its own sonority (I know of other projects and, for me, it's one of those that has the best sound characteristics of today, along with the LT3045), the use of a high-quality linear power supply wouldn't be "erased" by the LT3080 itself? I'm thinking about building a linear power supply with a toroidal transformer, LT3045 regulators, Mundorf Resistors and Jupiter, Duelund and/or Audio Note film capacitors, exclusively for JCAT, but I was wondering about the benefits of that. Apparently, I'd better do it.

- Source: the Control-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock Q1900-ITX motherboard, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1333MHz, 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD and SOtM SATA II Filter; the Audio-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0, an Intel Core i7-4750T, an Arctic Alpine 11 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1600MHz and JCAT USB Card FEMTO. Both computers use Windows Server 2019 Core Mode with RAMdisk as Operational System, JPLAY FEMTO Alternative version and Audiophile Optimizer v. 3.00 (1A in Control-PC and 4D in Audio-PC). Both also use a hand made linear power supply with a Furutech FI-06 ( R).

- Cables: Nordost Tyr (speaker), Nordost Valhalla XLR (interconnect), Curious Cable (USB), Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (power distributor), Transparent PowerLink MM² (integrated amp.), Purist Audio Design Canorus Praesto Revision Power Cable (DAC), Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (computer), Kimber Kable 12TC + gold plated connectors (24 way internal power supply cable of the mother board);

- Acessories: Furutech GTX-D (G); Furutech GTX-D ( R) (x2); Sunrise Deep Line (x4); spikes Viablue HS; ebony spikes, carbon fiber bases; Nordost Qv2 (x3); acoustical and electrical reinforcements.

#328 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

Great! So even if I remove the jumper from the 5v, will the board's internal circuitry continue to pass through the LT3080? I have this doubt because, having the LT3080 its own sonority (I know of other projects and, for me, it's one of those that has the best sound characteristics of today, along with the LT3045), the use of a high-quality linear power supply wouldn't be "erased" by the LT3080 itself? I'm thinking about building a linear power supply with a toroidal transformer, LT3045 regulators, Mundorf Resistors and Jupiter, Duelund and/or Audio Note film capacitors, exclusively for JCAT, but I was wondering about the benefits of that. Apparently, I'd better do it.

Correctl. 

Removing all jumpers is recommended for best sound if a USB DAC doesn't require 5V via USB ports.

Using external LPS too. I highly recommend you build that PSU just for the USB (& maybe NET card in the future if you go for it) :) 

Regards, 

Marcin

• FelipeRolim likes this

#329 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

Buying two JCAT Net Card FEMTO is only a matter of time. Apparently I have to make seven power supplies: three for the JCAT, one for the SSD, two for the motherboards and one for the motherboard's auxiliary connector (four pins). The way it's working hard, hehehehe. The Ayre QB-9 is working so well, but so well with the JCAT USB Card FEMTO, that I decided to buy the network cards before I even changed the DAC. I hope to do so soon.

• Marcin_gps likes this

#330 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:06 PM

You're miscounting: you're going to make 17 not 7 LPSUs, 7 for you and 10 for me .

Kidding aside, I bet you'll stop wanting to upgrade the DAC after you get the two JCAT netcards. Been there done that, and I've got only one Femto netcard and one USB card .
  • FelipeRolim likes this
WS2019 Datacentercor 10.0.17763.557, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, JPLAY Femto - KS/US/1000Hz/Hibernate, Fidata/BubbleUPnP.

#331 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:29 PM

The change of USB card and of Control-PC made me change my mind about the Ayre upgrade. I'm definitely going to buy a better DAC in the future, but I've decided it can wait longer. The current result is very encouraging.

I wish you could hear my power supply. Come to Brazil! Hehehe

#332 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:53 AM

Oh I believe it, probably something close to Paul Hynes' masterpiece. Enjoy your talent!
  • FelipeRolim likes this
WS2019 Datacentercor 10.0.17763.557, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, JPLAY Femto - KS/US/1000Hz/Hibernate, Fidata/BubbleUPnP.

#333 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:26 AM

The change of USB card and of Control-PC made me change my mind about the Ayre upgrade. I'm definitely going to buy a better DAC in the future, but I've decided it can wait longer. The current result is very encouraging.

I wish you could hear my power supply. Come to Brazil! Hehehe

or at least show a pictures of it

I'm listening to the music , not gear
Sound says more than numbers

#334 Menace

Menace

Beginner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:52 AM

How long does the update to the v 2.0 firmware take? Mine has been running for 25 minutes?

#335 Nobudy

Nobudy

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:26 AM

It is very complicated to use LT3045 in LPS
because they can only handle 500mAh  each ,

so you need to use multiple in parallel configuration to get required Ah ,

I'm listening to the music , not gear
Sound says more than numbers

#336 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:03 AM

How long does the update to the v 2.0 firmware take? Mine has been running for 25 minutes?

Few seconds. Please check the instructions I sent you via email.

Regards, 
Marcin

#337 jturbo

jturbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:03 PM

Hi

Im trying to upgrade my jcat usb femto to 2.0.  

The install script appears to run correctly and takes a couple seconds.

Following the shutdown, two min wait and power up, the card has not come back online.

Dac nor USB drive are seen.

I also have a net card femto in case that matters.

Ive tried the one port and two port installs, both seem to work, but no joy.

Thanks for any guidance.

#338 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

Hi

Im trying to upgrade my jcat usb femto to 2.0.  

The install script appears to run correctly and takes a couple seconds.

Following the shutdown, two min wait and power up, the card has not come back online.

Dac nor USB drive are seen.

I also have a net card femto in case that matters.

Ive tried the one port and two port installs, both seem to work, but no joy.

Thanks for any guidance.

I've just sent you troubleshooting instructions via PM :)

Regards, 
Marcin

#339 OctavianH

OctavianH

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBrasov / RO

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

Hello,

I would like to ask for an advice regarding USB Femto as a possible upgrade. First of all, let me present my situation. I use a gaming PC (yes, I am a gamer) with 8TB WD Black HDDs for my digital collection (FLAC + DSD) connected from an USB 3.0 port of my motherboard (ASUS Z97-DELUXE) via QED Reference USB A-B 3m to a Chord Qutest (with ISO Regen and USPCB). The Chord Qutest has a MCRU LPS, but ISO Regen is temporarily powered by a switching power supply (standard stuff, no low noise). Since I am not quite pleased about the USB quality compared to a decent CD-Transport (CXC) via optical, I would like to improve it.

Which is the best way to go in my situation?

1) USB Femto via some LPS (maybe Sbooster 5-6V)?

2) a separate PC for audio (here I might have problems because I need a lot of space for my digital collection and I definitely prefer to operate the player (Foobar) and PC from the same monitor, so 1) might be more comfortable for me)

3) any other setup which might help?

I have not decided yet to keep or remove ISO Regen, I will have to see. I also evaluated iUSB3.0 as an option but I guess that for my case the JCAT Femto is a better solution. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

Qutest | CXC | Elise MK.II | A2 | T1.2 | A5X | NFB11.32

Headphone setup

#340 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:47 AM

Hello,

I would like to ask for an advice regarding USB Femto as a possible upgrade. First of all, let me present my situation. I use a gaming PC (yes, I am a gamer) with 8TB WD Black HDDs for my digital collection (FLAC + DSD) connected from an USB 3.0 port of my motherboard (ASUS Z97-DELUXE) via QED Reference USB A-B 3m to a Chord Qutest (with ISO Regen and USPCB). The Chord Qutest has a MCRU LPS, but ISO Regen is temporarily powered by a switching power supply (standard stuff, no low noise). Since I am not quite pleased about the USB quality compared to a decent CD-Transport (CXC) via optical, I would like to improve it.

Which is the best way to go in my situation?

1) USB Femto via some LPS (maybe Sbooster 5-6V)?

2) a separate PC for audio (here I might have problems because I need a lot of space for my digital collection and I definitely prefer to operate the player (Foobar) and PC from the same monitor, so 1) might be more comfortable for me)

3) any other setup which might help?

I have not decided yet to keep or remove ISO Regen, I will have to see. I also evaluated iUSB3.0 as an option but I guess that for my case the JCAT Femto is a better solution. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

Hello and  welcome, 

I'd recommend the USB Card FEMTO + a 5V linear PSU. 

Regards,

Marcin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users