#301 peter.imrich

peter.imrich

Beginner

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:22 AM

https://jcat.eu/usb-...ate-to-ver-2-0/

Upgrade to version 2.0 and enjoy better sound. For FREE 

Windows Defender reports "Trojan:Win32/Fuerboos.E!cl" for this zip. is this a false alert?

#302 taxman2

taxman2

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationSofia, Bulgaria

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

Ignore it.

Furman Elite 10i (power conditioner), JPlay Femto, Audiophile Optimizer, Process Lasso Pro, Fidelizer Pro, 2 x fanless mini PC, Control PC - WS 2019 core -16GB RAM, Audio PC - WS 2019 core 8GB RAM, JCAT USB Card, 2 x JCAT Femto Net Cards, 3 x 100VA Ultra Low Noise LPS, JCAT Isolator, SU-1 with external LPS, Gustard X-20 (modified), Audia Flight Pre Mk III (dual mono class A preamp), Audia Flight FL50 Mk IV(dual mono class A amplifier), Focal Electra 1008BE;

#303 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:31 AM

Windows Defender reports "Trojan:Win32/Fuerboos.E!cl" for this zip. is this a false alert?

It is a false-positive alert - no virus inside :)

#304 peter.imrich

peter.imrich

Beginner

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

It is a false-positive alert - no virus inside :)

I just installed it, its very impressive indeed  :)

• Marcin_gps likes this

#305 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

I just installed it, its very impressive indeed  :)

Good to hear  - enjoy :)

#306 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationQuatiguá/Paraná/Brazil

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

Good afternoon everyone. After almost two weeks with the new JCAT USB Card FEMTO, after having updated its firmware to the new version (with only an active USB connection) and having got used to the new sonority, I think it's safer to write a little about it. Something that caught my attention right away is that it takes less time than the SOtM to reach its point of best performance. With only 1h connected it can operate absolutely stable and play files 192/24 at 1000Hz. SOtM needed at least twice as much time. The installation is simple, because it doesn't require driver and any kind of accessory application. Its compatibility is very large and anyone can install.

About the sound, in terms of offboard USB board, is the most impressive thing I've ever heard and possibly the best USB board that's on sale in the market. I don't trust Paul Pang products and SOtM displeases me a lot, first because of the high price in relation to what they deliver, and secondly because of the relative "abandonment" of the brand with respect to the products (the focus now is peripheral devices). The JCAT, in comparison to SOtM, delivers a much more detailed, delicate sound, with an absurdly accurate sonic stage positioning and sizing and extensive and very well controlled bass. The duration of the notes, their extension, is magnificent, making the event much more realistic. This all took a while to appear, because at first the sound was very dry, very hard, although it was always more detailed, more informative than SOtM. And, what was good got even better after the new firmware. There was a general increase in the performance of the system as a result of the replacement of the USB card, but I also noticed a small difference in sound between the two boards, both powered by the same source: JCAT has mid and highs frequencies more delicate (or, it can be understood that the SOtM has the middle and treble a little pronounced and hard), which contributes to a sound more sober, more subtle, with a different "refinement". This, in my particular system, also helped to make the sound better pronounced, less "blunt", which pleased me a lot.

For a long time I thought about buying the SOtM clock, but today this idea doesn't even cross my mind. Among the many things I hope to get right, USB isn't one of them, because JCAT serves me perfectly. I intend to try some gadgets in the future, but I confess that in my head this doesn't make any sense because the clock and power of JCAT are fantastic. I thank Marcin for his promptness and confidence. I'll recommend JCAT to everyone I can. Worth every penny.

PS: there's no way to compare the USB of the JCAT card with the USB onboard. The difference is very big. Particularly, in my understanding, there's no onboard USB connection that is suitable for audio.

• Marcin_gps, Thuan, peter.imrich and 1 other like this

- Speakers KEF Reference 203/2 with spikes;

- Integrated amplifier Sunrise V8 MK IV;

- DAC Ayre QB-9 192/24 + Furutech FI-03 ( R);

- Source: the Control-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock Q1900-ITX motherboard, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1333MHz, 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD and SOtM SATA II Filter; the Audio-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0, an Intel Core i7-4750T, an Arctic Alpine 11 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1600MHz and JCAT USB Card FEMTO. Both computers use Windows Server 2019 Core Mode with RAMdisk as Operational System, JPLAY FEMTO Alternative version and Audiophile Optimizer v. 3.00 (1A in Control-PC and 4D in Audio-PC). Both also use a hand made linear power supply with a Furutech FI-06 ( R).

- Cables: Nordost Tyr (speaker), Nordost Valhalla XLR (interconnect), Curious Cable (USB), Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (power distributor), Transparent PowerLink MM² (integrated amp.), Purist Audio Design Canorus Praesto Revision Power Cable (DAC), Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (computer), Kimber Kable 12TC + gold plated connectors (24 way internal power supply cable of the mother board);

- Acessories: Furutech GTX-D (G); Furutech GTX-D ( R) (x2); Sunrise Deep Line (x4); spikes Viablue HS; ebony spikes, carbon fiber bases; Nordost Qv2 (x3); acoustical and electrical reinforcements.

#307 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

++1

Thank you Felipe for your enthusiastic review.  Curiously, how do you power the card?  The jumpers are in filtered, unfiltered, or removed?

• FelipeRolim likes this
WS2019 Datacentercor, dualPC, AO3 Beta 38 - 1A/2D, JPLAY Femto - KS/US/1000Hz/Hibernate, Fidata/BubbleUPnP.

#308 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:10 PM

thuanb, I'm using my own linear power supply, which I also use to power the rest of the computer, and the same one I used to power the SOtM tx-USBexp. There are some improvements I'm programming to make in this power supply. Let's see how long it takes to get it done. I removed the jumpers from the USB output closest to the power connector, so I only use jumpers on the USB connection that is going to the Ayre QB-9. I believe this has subtly improved the quality of reproduction. These two jumpers I use are in the filtered option. I haven't tried it on unfiltered yet.

- Source: the Control-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock Q1900-ITX motherboard, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1333MHz, 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD and SOtM SATA II Filter; the Audio-PC is a dedicated computer with an Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0, an Intel Core i7-4750T, an Arctic Alpine 11 Passive Cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1600MHz and JCAT USB Card FEMTO. Both computers use Windows Server 2019 Core Mode with RAMdisk as Operational System, JPLAY FEMTO Alternative version and Audiophile Optimizer v. 3.00 (1A in Control-PC and 4D in Audio-PC). Both also use a hand made linear power supply with a Furutech FI-06 ( R).

- Cables: Nordost Tyr (speaker), Nordost Valhalla XLR (interconnect), Curious Cable (USB), Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (power distributor), Transparent PowerLink MM² (integrated amp.), Purist Audio Design Canorus Praesto Revision Power Cable (DAC), Nordost Valhalla Power Cable (computer), Kimber Kable 12TC + gold plated connectors (24 way internal power supply cable of the mother board);

- Acessories: Furutech GTX-D (G); Furutech GTX-D ( R) (x2); Sunrise Deep Line (x4); spikes Viablue HS; ebony spikes, carbon fiber bases; Nordost Qv2 (x3); acoustical and electrical reinforcements.

#309 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:06 AM

So you're using the 2PORTS option? As far as I learned, jumpers in filtered position yield better SQ than unfiltered one; no jumper is best. Nonetheless, what matters is that you're noticing and enjoying the SQ improvement that the new gear (JCAT USB in this case) has brought to your setup.
WS2019 Datacentercor, dualPC, AO3 Beta 38 - 1A/2D, JPLAY Femto - KS/US/1000Hz/Hibernate, Fidata/BubbleUPnP.

#310 motberg

motberg

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:21 PM

I did the upgrade to v 2.0.. 1 port option.

Seems I lost KS in the process.

I first noticed it on the Singxer SU-1.. immediately after the firmware upgrade I could not find the SU-1 KS in Jplay.

Then I changed to a Gustard U16 DDC... there I noticed I have KS from one of the motherboard USB ports, but not from the JCat card.

currently using ASIO / Ultrastream

Asus B150M-Plus, Winserver2012 w/AO

Any ideas would be welcome....

#311 MINORISUKE

MINORISUKE

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

Seems I lost KS in the process.

Try the following.

Unplug SU-1 from the PC.

Re-install SU-1 driver

Power on SU-1

Connect SU-1 to JCAT USB Card FEMTO

In case this does not work, try the Renesas USB driver and repeat the above.

I am more interested in hearing your experience about Gustard U16.  Do you use an external 10MHz clock?  Can you achieve ULTRAstream 1000Hz with U16?

• motberg likes this

#312 FelipeRolim

FelipeRolim

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:07 PM

So you're using the 2PORTS option? As far as I learned, jumpers in filtered position yield better SQ than unfiltered one; no jumper is best. Nonetheless, what matters is that you're noticing and enjoying the SQ improvement that the new gear (JCAT USB in this case) has brought to your setup.

No, I'm using the version with only one active USB port, the one that is on the opposite side of the external power connector on the card. For this reason, I removed the jumpers from the unused USB connection, but on the connection I actually use (in which Ayre is connected) I haven't tested anything yet. I don't know exactly whether the filtration of the card refers to the entire signal or just to the power path. In the second case, I think changing the jumpers shouldn't make a difference, because Ayre only uses the 5v signal to stay connected, but doesn't need it to work. There's an insulation right at the entrance, but testing is always important...

I finalized yesterday the adjustments of Windows Server 2019 with Audiophile Optimizer v. 3.00 Beta 30 and JPLAY FEMTO, all running from RAMdisk. So, for now, I'm going to focus my experiments on comparing Server 2016 with Audiophile Optimizer v. 2.20 and the new version I configured yesterday. Everything is running smoothly, but I haven't carefully compared yet.

#313 motberg

motberg

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:13 AM

Try the following.

Unplug SU-1 from the PC.

Re-install SU-1 driver

Power on SU-1

Connect SU-1 to JCAT USB Card FEMTO

In case this does not work, try the Renesas USB driver and repeat the above.

I am more interested in hearing your experience about Gustard U16.  Do you use an external 10MHz clock?  Can you achieve ULTRAstream 1000Hz with U16?

Wow!  I followed these instructions for the U16 (1-25-2019 driver) and worked perfectly... now I have KS!

Preliminary observation KS is better SQ than ASIO, especially the bass...

Many thanks.... :D

On this computer I am using JPlay Classic 7A, single PC, i7-7700T, 8GB, INTEL SSD X25-E 64GB for OS, 1TB SSD for music, HDPlex ATX 400 LPS w/separate LPS's for the SSD's.... The JCAT USB card is powered by Uptone LPS-1 with iFi DC iPurifier.

(I want to change soon to a dual PC JPlay Femto but little worried about possible license problems, so holding off on the Femto install for now) 

Unfortunately I cannot afford a 10MHz clock yet (2 grandkids) but the U16 is a very nice sounding DDC.

JPlay Mini Ultrastream max is 200Hz, 500 Hz will not play.

The firmware and drivers are still very buggy but I still prefer the U16 over the (LPS1 powered) SU-1, Tanly, Isolated Amanero, etc.

I am using a 220V mains power re-generator which I am sure helps the U16... seems due to the design, fairly difficult to upgrade the stock U16 PS.

I have 2 U16's, one to Audio GD R1, the other to Audio GD NOS7. Both via i2s (HDMI)

Some more observations at the HF thread;

https://www.head-fi....sb-chip.888947/

Thanks again!

#314 Evo-No-Revo

Evo-No-Revo

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:34 AM

I recently installed the FEMTO USB card installed in my HTPC.  Running Windows 10 Pro, It is powered by a Uptone JS-2.

I have a exaSound e38 multichannel dac.  I have the exaSound e38 drivers installed.

I am only getting sound via the JCAT USB card via JRiver and Roon.   No USB audio device is showing up in the Windows Playback Devices tab on the Sound popup box.

If I try to play a movie using Plex Media Server or stream an online movie I am getting no sound.  I have unplugged everything, including removing the JCAT card and powering back up and reinstalling the card and nothing has changed. 

Any suggestions?

#315 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

I recently installed the FEMTO USB card installed in my HTPC.  Running Windows 10 Pro, It is powered by a Uptone JS-2.

I have a exaSound e38 multichannel dac.  I have the exaSound e38 drivers installed.

I am only getting sound via the JCAT USB card via JRiver and Roon.   No USB audio device is showing up in the Windows Playback Devices tab on the Sound popup box.

If I try to play a movie using Plex Media Server or stream an online movie I am getting no sound.  I have unplugged everything, including removing the JCAT card and powering back up and reinstalling the card and nothing has changed. 

Any suggestions?

It seems like a software glitch. If you can play via the JCAT USB Card via Jriver or Roon, it means that the driver for your DAC - and the JCAT USB Card - work properly. 

Which outputs have you tried in JRiver / Roon (WASAPI/ASIO/KS)?

I'd try reinstalling the DAC driver. 

Regards, 
Marcin

#316 Evo-No-Revo

Evo-No-Revo

Beginner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:47 PM

It seems like a software glitch. If you can play via the JCAT USB Card via Jriver or Roon, it means that the driver for your DAC - and the JCAT USB Card - work properly. 

Which outputs have you tried in JRiver / Roon (WASAPI/ASIO/KS)?

I'd try reinstalling the DAC driver. 

Regards, 
Marcin

I did reinstalled the drivers for the DAC but it was no different. The only option I see in JRiver and Roon is ASIO.

I see in the exaSound e38 owner's manual that they only mention ASIO.  Maybe that means it is functioning properly for what it was designed.... 

I need to investigate more.  I will see if the JCAT USB card will play via Oppo 205.

#317 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:42 PM

I did reinstalled the drivers for the DAC but it was no different. The only option I see in JRiver and Roon is ASIO.

I see in the exaSound e38 owner's manual that they only mention ASIO.  Maybe that means it is functioning properly for what it was designed.... 

I need to investigate more.  I will see if the JCAT USB card will play via Oppo 205.

If there is only an ASIO driver available for exaSound, you will not see any sound device in Windows control panel. Only in a player supporting ASIO output 

Regards, 

Marcin

#318 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

I see in the exaSound e38 owner's manual that they only mention ASIO. Maybe that means it is functioning properly for what it was designed....

I need to investigate more. I will see if the JCAT USB card will play via Oppo 205.

A couple years back I was looking into buying an exaSound DAC. I spoke with exaSound developer, telling him about my intention to be using his DAC with JPLAY. He said no, they wouldn't work together. I guessed because his DACs don't work with KS driver.

#319 blackjack

blackjack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:44 AM

Hi Marcin,

May I know how do I check if my PC (USB card femto) has correctly installed the version 2.0 firmware ?

#320 Yucca

Yucca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:56 AM

Hello,

New there, I will be an happy (hopefully) owner of a Femto USB card in the next days. I have a Linux PC though, and the instructions about the new firmware are only for Windows...As this new firmware seems to bring some improvements, do you know if there's a way to make this update without a windows PC ?

FYI, if there's of any interest, I have a DIY Streacom FC8 chassis with a quadcore AMD Ryzen, Audio-linux OS used with roon only, 2 external LPSU, 1 for MB, 1 for the PCIe card (12V+internal Mojo Audio regulator to get 5v) -> Jcat USB isolator -> curious USB cable -> PSaudio Directsrtream Jr.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users