10 replies to this topic

#1 Lizard

Lizard

Beginner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:26 AM

Hi,

I'm very new to the world of music over usb to a dac, so it is possible that i am doing something silly here, but no matter what i try i can not get foobar/jplay to output DSD to my Dac.

I have tried following the manual to get it to work and have download and installed the  foo_input_sacd.zip component, but no foo_dsd_asio appears in the drop down list for for output device, also if i try double clicking on preferences > playback > output > asio where jplay is listed under asio drivers nothing happens.

I am currently using the trail version (the manual needs a lot more detail on the control panel by the way :) ) and now that i have finally started to work out how to use it and seen the benefits it can bring, the only thing that is stopping me buying it is the inability to play dsd (i get the message could not start asio in foobar). Flac/wav it plays without issue.

I am using a Roksan k3 Dac (has asio drivers) and windows 10 (avast anti virus). jplay is listed as dsd : asio : jplay in drivers (which i am currently using) so does allow asio to be used for wav/flac, just not for dsd.

Also

Jplay doesnt start automatically with windows, i have to select it first in the start menu, any ideas why? 

• Davidbot likes this

#2 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

Hi Lizard and welcome, 

If foo_dsd_asio does not appear in foobar then it means it is not installed successfully. Did you follow instructions from this page?  http://wiki.hydrogen...all_a_component

Which settings are missing from the manual? :) 

JPLAY does start automatically as a Windows service. Only JPLAYsettings doesn't start during boot. 

Regards, 
Marcin

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#3 naidiver

naidiver

Beginner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

I had this problem too. On preference menu - SACD, when i selected DSD... foobar didn't play DSD. I had to switch back to PCM and then it played but in PCM format not native DSD.

#4 Lizard

Lizard

Beginner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

I dont believe it, i have just fixed the problem  :)

The correct instructions where followed and it is listed in the components correctly, but the drop down option in drivers isn't present.

However changing the output data format in preference > playback > output from 24 bit to 32 bit under dsd : asio : jplay driver, now gives native dsd and the light is coming on for dsd on my dac. No idea why that has made it work though or why or why foo_dsd_asio still isn't a drop down option when it is listed correctly in components. Anyhow it works now  :D

As to the control panel menu, where to start  :rolleyes:

Too much is based on the idea that people already understand how things work already (in which case they wont look at it to begin with) for new people like myself it is very bad, so bad that i almost wrote jplay off as a scam based on what jriver said. Only playing via has a mention in the manual and that is brief with no guide how to change. Put it this way KS sounds awful on my setup and it was only by chance that i discovered WAPASI or i would have just deleted the program. WAPASI sounds very good but is no better or worse than WAPASI event with jriver, so again i wasn't going to buy and jriver post was confirmed. However i thought i would give jplay one last chance with ASIO, now that is special and offers a mark improvement over jriver (enough to justify the cost of the program), only by trying to explore all option have i discovered a taste of what jplay has to offer, if i hadnt of been so desperate to get the best sound i would have written jplay of early due to not knowing these things.

Also (sorry its quite a list  :mellow: )

i have to use classic with the engine with no explanation of what it does or is

Bitstream/polarity is explain when you click on it in the setup panel but not in the manual

Bitstream volume isnt explain at all (though i think i get)

I have to set a low dac link to get sound from my dac with no idea why or even what this option does or the reason why it is liked to PC buffer

Hibernate mode i'm still unsure off

Put it this way i have learnt more from reviews of the product about the options and what they mean/do than i have from the manual, and whilst this forum is very helpful even joining it to see hidden posts was less than straight forward  :( and on any other product would just put me off.

I dont mean to slag jplay off, but for new people like myself trying to find out how to work things is very hard. I will be buying i think its that good, but i almost so didn't.

#5 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

Good to hear it worked!

All options are explained, you just need to choose from the dropdown menu or click on the arrow next to the jplaysettings screen :)

#6 Lizard

Lizard

Beginner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

Good to hear it worked!

All options are explained, you just need to choose from the dropdown menu or click on the arrow next to the jplaysettings screen :)

I'm sorry but their not or at least not well enough. You understand it, show it to your mum or a non using friend and see what they think of the "clear" explanation.

Still i'm happy to proceed, so for me it doesn't matter so much

#7 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:15 PM

OK! In case you have any questions I'm happy to explain them here on the forum or via support email.

Regards, 
Marcin

• Lizard likes this

#8 Lizard

Lizard

Beginner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:45 PM

OK! In case you have any questions I'm happy to explain them here on the forum or via support email.

Regards, 
Marcin

Hi Marcin,

I have just the moment bought jplay (I think its that good  :) ) so i have a few more questions.

Would i be right in saying that playing via KS input mode is the best to use to my dac or doesn't it overly matter?

If it is then do you have a suggestions on things i could try to try and make the sound more to my taste? The reason i ask is because i love the sound i get with playing via asio input mode but not KS input mode

#9 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:54 AM

Yes, we recommend KS. You may try:

- switching between Engines (UltraStream, Classic, Xtream - all take different approach on buffering, memory and CPU usage)

- playing with DAC Link and PC Buffer

Regards, 
Marcin

#10 Lizard

Lizard

Beginner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:19 PM

Regards, 
Marcin

I owe you an apology, must read the manual better  :( 

I was having issues with foobar playing dsd again with foo_dsd_asio not being listed, only to finally work out now that i needed to install ASIOProxyInstall.exe as well which is mentioned in your manual, but i had missed. Anyhow installing it allows everything to correctly work now as described  :) 

The pop up you get now when you double click is different though, have i set things up correctly or do i need to edit anything?

13900219_10154029942476888_6267766584862  

PS using classic with KS has done the job, thanks  :)

#11 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:29 AM

No, just leave as is :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users