• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61 kindval

kindval

Beginner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

Maybe that will fix the problem, but it's not like a have a dozen of usb cables and can switch them until it work!

I only have the JCAT usb cable and a couple of "printer" cables and usb adapters.

With what I have, I tried all the combinations that came to my mind, tried to pull, move the connectors, but nothing change!

In my situation, different dac, different usb card, it is sometimes neccesary to  to pull out the power cable of my dac, after reinserting it again, everything starts working....

#62 Maxxwire

Maxxwire

Beginner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:30 AM

1.5m should be ok :)

You were right, the JCAT USB Isolator worked perfectly with the 1.5m USB cable powering my SOtM DDC right from the moment I connected it. About a week later I replaced it with a 15cm USB cable and then disconnected the digital coax S/PDIF cable out of the DDC and replaced it with a fused silica glass toslink cable to extend the electrical isolation to my Wadia PowerDAC. I have been trying to optimize my computer audio playback for the last 7 years and while I have been successful in making scores of incremental improvements along the way the sonic improvements which accompanied each of them are now able to be manifest fully without the distortion of leakage currents that the JCAT USB Isolator is eliminating. The result has been the absolutely amazing quality music playback from digital audio that I had been hoping for ever since I bought my first Theta DAC 17 years ago...

JCAT%20USB%20ISO%20JCF.jpg

• Marcin_gps likes this

#63 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

Maybe that will fix the problem, but it's not like a have a dozen of usb cables and can switch them until it work!

I only have the JCAT usb cable and a couple of "printer" cables and usb adapters.

With what I have, I tried all the combinations that came to my mind, tried to pull, move the connectors, but nothing change!

You can alwsays return it if you're not satisfied/not willing to check different configuration as I suggested: SHIPPING & RETURNS

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

Want to squeeze more from your PC-audio? Hear the difference with JCAT

#64 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

If I wanted to return, I would do that already and not asking for help here, but I'm just trying to make it work !

When I say that "with, what I have, I tried all the cable combinations that came to my mind, even tried to pull/move the connectors, shutdown, plug/unplug power", how is that "not willing to check different configurations"?!  :)

What configuration is Josef using that is working for him?

#65 ellisdj

ellisdj

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

You want to get it working dude its a stonking addition to an audio pc - one of the best I think.  Just rubbing salt lol 

• Marcin_gps likes this

#66 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

If I wanted to return, I would do that already and not asking for help here, but I'm just trying to make it work !

When I say that "with, what I have, I tried all the cable combinations that came to my mind, even tried to pull/move the connectors, shutdown, plug/unplug power", how is that "not willing to check different configurations"?!  :)

What configuration is Josef using that is working for him?

JCAT Reference USB  -> JCAT USB Isolator -> Locus Design Nucleus v2 -> Diverter HR

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

#67 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:50 PM

Thanks Marcin.

The irony is that for two years i kept my Locus Axis and JCAT usb cable (needed only one), because I could not decide which one to sale! They both sounded good, but totally different!

I sold Locus about 3 months ago! :)

I will not give up for sure! Isolator will play sooner or later and we will all live happily ever after!! :)

• Marcin_gps and ellisdj like this

#68 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:00 AM

I assumed that my problem is in the 5V coming into Sonicweld and today I make it one dual head USB cable

One line is ground, D- and D+.

Second line is ground and +5v.

Connecting both end into JCAT FEMTO and the other end into Sonicweld, works perfectly.

Inserting JCAT Isolator into any of the two lines (data or power), doesn't work!!!

In this case neither power or data goes thru Isolator!

Now, I'm totally out of ideas!

#69 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:17 AM

Why not try it with generic cable as I suggested? Then we'd know for sure where the issue is. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#70 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

Since I have half dozen of new generic cables, I tried that in the very beginning.

With two generic cables, Sonicweld is totally dead.

One generic cable (or adapter) and JCAT, the Sonicweld logo come and go, on the Sonicweld screen. Doesn't mater the placement, before or after the Isolator.

That's why I assumed that there is not enough power for Sonicweld and made the dual head cable last night! 

But, my usb flash drive works with Isolator and my laptop, without any problem (using the same generic cable)!

I'm using it to burn in the Isolator.....until I "fix the problem"! :)

#71 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:29 AM

This is not fun anymore!

I don't know and I don't have what else to try to make it work!

I just tried my Toshiba portable HD, USB powered, with Isolator (and generic cable) and it's not seen in my laptop! The light on the HD it's flashing crazy, but nothing else! Flash drive works!

Is it possible that something might be wrong with the unit, or I'm the only one who can't make it work?!!

#72 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:51 AM

It's not likely that there is anything wrong with the unit. All units are tested before shipping. Do you use any other USB enhancers in between? 

USB powered HDD most likely requires more power than the Isolator provides

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#73 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

I don't have anything else in the line, just JCAT FEMTO => Isolator => Sonicweld.

I also tried to take the power for Sonicweld from a mobo usb port and just the data from FEMTO => Isolator. Then my Sonicweld lights up the "normal way", but still no sound. 

I tried with 2012 R2 and with WTF player (Linux) and both the same!

Any other ideas?

#74 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

Can you connect it to another PC/laptop just to confirm it's not sth on the PC? 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#75 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:52 AM

You just reminded me that I never tried with generic usb cable from the mobo usb port!

So, I tried now and the Sonicweld screen shows that it's powered the way it should be, but still no sound!

Mobo usb port => generic usb cable(or usb adapter) => Isolator => JCAT usb =>Sonicweld

I tried also with my laptop, using Jplay and the results were the same as above! Laptop play no problem without the Isolator!

#76 ciccio1112

ciccio1112

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Locationwww.avtek.it

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

Hi SIMA66 I had a similar problem to try to put the generic usb cable between insulator and DAC and JCAT cable between PC and insulator.

http://tweakvideo.altervista.org il   mio negozio: http://www.avtek.it

Il mio server audio singolo pc. Windows server 2019 + jplay 7 + ottimizzatore audiofilo 3.0 + fidelizer pro 8.4 

#77 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:18 PM

Hi SIMA66 I had a similar problem to try to put the generic usb cable between insulator and DAC and JCAT cable between PC and insulator.

Thanks cicccio, but I tried that on the very first day and every day I'm trying almost every cable/adapter combination, always hopping that today will might be different!

With generic cable between Isolator and DAC (Sonicweld), sonicweld almost don't lighten up.....very weak !

#78 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

So maybe your Sonicweld unit is not compatible with JCAT USB Isolator. It's weird though, because Josef uses the same combination with his Sonicweld Diverterer. 

Did you look in device manager to see what happens when you connect the Diverter to the JCAT USB Isolator?

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#79 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

So maybe your Sonicweld unit is not compatible with JCAT USB Isolator. It's weird though, because Josef uses the same combination with his Sonicweld Diverterer. 

Did you look in device manager to see what happens when you connect the Diverter to the JCAT USB Isolator?

I did't check in device manager (I'm not sure that I even know how and what to look for), but when everything works properly, when I turn my PC on/off, my DAC lighten the screen for a second.

With Isolator in line nothing happen! Not even when Sonicweld is is directly powered and only data is going thru Isolator.

#80 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

Beer for thought!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users