#1 stoneman

stoneman

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

Hi All,

(I searched but couldn't find any comparison between these two - so sorry if this is a repeat question)

I'm running an evaluation copy of Win Server 2012 full (control pc) and a full copy of Win Server '12 Essentials (audio PC) - since the Windows 10 free upgrade is due to expire soon, is it worth making the change in sound quality terms?   And is there any difference on Control vs Audio PC?

I'm using AO 1.4, both in core with JRiver as the player

Thanks 

Andy

#2 stoneman

stoneman

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:46 AM

Ah, there's some discussion on this matter over on CA under

Windows Server 2012R2 vs Windows 10?

But it's not conclusive...

#3 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

There's a big difference in cost that may influence the preference, imho. On the other hand, I've never tried Windows 10 so can't comment how it compares to WS2012. But me think if it sounds nearly as good as WS2012 and is free, I'd go for it today. In addition, AO 2.0's most features are for Windows 10.
WS2019 Datacentercor 10.0.17763.557, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, JPLAY Femto - KS/US/1000Hz/Hibernate, Fidata/BubbleUPnP.

#4 stoneman

stoneman

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

Exactly, I've gone for W10 anyway as my WS evaluation had expired (Inc rearms)

I'll apply AO2 tomorrow and give it a listen...
  • Thuan likes this

#5 JazzDoc

JazzDoc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

I have posts that indicate that Windows Server 2012 R2 is the recommended option for audio usage if one can live with the cost and reduced usability over Windows 10. Windows Server 2016 is due in the third quarter of this year although I am unsure as to whether this new OS will feature a core mode. I've not tried Windows 10 in my dual PC setup but I like the sound that Windows 2012 R2 offers.

• Thuan likes this

Acer Windows Server 2016 (x64) Laptop (Intel i5/8GB) (Audio PC) / Lenovo Windows Server 2016 (Intel i3/4GB) (Control PC) / Audiophile Optimizer 2.20 (GUI Mode on both PCs)  / JPlay Femto / JPLAY Femto Streamer /  Process Lasso Server Pro / Fidelizer Pro 8.2 / M2Tech Hiface Evo, Paul Hynes Power Supply / Naim Audio DAC with DSD Firmware Update / Naim Audio XPS, Linn Sondek LP12 / Naim Audio ARO / Linn Troika / Naim Audio Armageddon, Naim Audio CDS2 / Naim Audio XPS, Naim Audio NAT02, Naim Audio NAC52 / Naim Audio Supercap, Naim Audio SBLs

#6 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

Exactly, I've gone for W10 anyway as my WS evaluation had expired (Inc rearms)
I'll apply AO2 tomorrow and give it a listen...

Please do let us know.
WS2019 Datacentercor 10.0.17763.557, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, JPLAY Femto - KS/US/1000Hz/Hibernate, Fidata/BubbleUPnP.

#7 stoneman

stoneman

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:20 AM

I installed W10 over the expired evaluation copy of WS12R2 (and used the key from an old W7 I had lying around) on my Control PC

I then applied AO2.0 and gave it a listen

Impressions are very favourable - better sound staging, primarily.  I can't say W10 is better or worse than WS12R2 since I made both changes (from AO1.4) at the same time, but the overall change is for the better - and the licence issue is now resolved

I'll apply AO2.0 to my Audio PC (W12 Essentials) and hear what happens...

regards

Andy

#8 JazzDoc

JazzDoc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

I tried this out for myself yesterday with a fresh install of Windows 10 on both my Control and Audio PCs. The sound with Windows 10 is good ... Very good in fact although the sound quality with Windows Server 2012 R2 is superior in just about all respects. Dynamics and separation are better and stereo imaging has greater focus. I am currently in the process of going back to Windows Server 2012 R2!

Apart from cost, I have discovered another downside to Windows Server 2012. With a fresh install of the OS, it steadfastly refuses to download updates, hanging either when searching for updates or downloading updates. Sometimes the update process would come back to life but on other occasions it was necessary to restart Windows Update and even then, there was no guarantee of success. I googled this problem and it is obviously a known and common issue. In spite of this, Microsoft have refused to address it.

My comparative listening tests lead me to the conclusion that Windows Server 2012 R2 provides the best sound quality. I am however, surprised that Microsoft have allowed this long standing update issue to go unaddressed. Those wanting to install Windows Server 2012 might be advised to look on the Internet for an activation workaround. It is a matter for the individual's conscience but I would advise that by taking this route, you will be paying what the OS is worth and Microsoft will be paying for their lack of good customer service! 

• Pachanko and Thuan like this

Acer Windows Server 2016 (x64) Laptop (Intel i5/8GB) (Audio PC) / Lenovo Windows Server 2016 (Intel i3/4GB) (Control PC) / Audiophile Optimizer 2.20 (GUI Mode on both PCs)  / JPlay Femto / JPLAY Femto Streamer /  Process Lasso Server Pro / Fidelizer Pro 8.2 / M2Tech Hiface Evo, Paul Hynes Power Supply / Naim Audio DAC with DSD Firmware Update / Naim Audio XPS, Linn Sondek LP12 / Naim Audio ARO / Linn Troika / Naim Audio Armageddon, Naim Audio CDS2 / Naim Audio XPS, Naim Audio NAT02, Naim Audio NAC52 / Naim Audio Supercap, Naim Audio SBLs

#9 dtb300

dtb300

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:55 PM

Apart from cost, I have discovered another downside to Windows Server 2012. With a fresh install of the OS, it steadfastly refuses to download updates, hanging either when searching for updates or downloading updates. Sometimes the update process would come back to life but on other occasions it was necessary to restart Windows Update and even then, there was no guarantee of success. I googled this problem and it is obviously a known and common issue. In spite of this, Microsoft have refused to address it.

My comparative listening tests lead me to the conclusion that Windows Server 2012 R2 provides the best sound quality. I am however, surprised that Microsoft have allowed this long standing update issue to go unaddressed. Those wanting to install Windows Server 2012 might be advised to look on the Internet for an activation workaround. It is a matter for the individual's conscience but I would advise that by taking this route, you will be paying what the OS is worth and Microsoft will be paying for their lack of good customer service! 

Interesting issue you are having.

I have installed 2012R2 multiple times, and only once had an issue with getting updates after initial install - very slow is the key I have seen.  So I just install again and the problem goes away.

Once that first update is done and goes well, I have never had an issue getting further new updates (either during the install or after the system is up and running) Either in GUI Update or using sconfig in CORE.

#10 AudioPhil

AudioPhil

AudiophileOptimizer

• AudiophileOptimizer
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:11 PM

...subscribed!

logo.png

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide | MUTEC MC-3+ USB

ıllıllı [  AO 3.00 IS HERE.... ] ıllıllı

#11 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:35 PM

...subscribed!

Clicking on 'follow this topic' button works too ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users